Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2020  (Read 191283 times)

PeepSpy

Re: Beak Room 2020
« Reply #19770 on: December 30, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »

Happy and healthy New Year! 🔔💖⭐

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #19771 on: December 30, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »

Photographer Tobias Baumgaertner captured this image of two widowed fairy penguins looking over the Melbourne skyline. It has won an award in Oceanographic magazine?s Ocean Photography Awards 2020.
The backstory is so heartwarming. The lighter penguin is an elderly female whose partner died this year. The darker one is a younger male who lost his partner two years ago. Biologists have followed them as they meet every night to comfort each other. They stand for hours together watching the city lights

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #19772 on: December 30, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »

Dr. Rogers and Donna Bear

Dr. Rogers is in the hospital recovering from heart surgery. He is very fortunate that the doctors were able to spot the problem before it was too late. He is hoping to be home later this week, though he will have a recovery period and will need time to gain his strength. Until he is stronger he will be taking a break from updates.

Many wishes to Dr. Rogers, for a fast and full recovery!

Thank you for all you do Doc!
Linda (Gibson) McColley, WRI Staff

Good morning Beakers! ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:58:41 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

PeepSpy

« Reply #19773 on: December 30, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »

A lot of Grey Seal Mothers and pups on Seal Island!  :D

kbshcb

« Reply #19774 on: December 30, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »

Oh Lani - those pics and backstory of the penguins is so heartwarming!....love it.

3 days in a row now only 1 eagle perching at a time. I suspect now they are incubating their eggs......if in 35 days or so neither comes for awhile I will know for sure....

Vi is fine btw...after extensive GI testing and not very comfortable tests diagnosis is: Gastritis!
We had to laugh as that was our diagnosis months ago...
Good to hear though as she was at times very worried..
Hopefully I can convince her to get out a walk a bit going forward once she recovers from the tests, LOL
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:18:57 AM by kbshcb »

oldguy

« Reply #19775 on: December 30, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Official snow totals for Iowa City was 8.5 to 9.5 inches...  The top 1/2 inch is a crust of ice... Spent about 30 min. shoveling - about 1/3 done - will pace myself, break it up into about 4 sessions...

Today's videos...

Kitten Miri is pulling Maru's leg and scolded by Hana.   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJAmKxOeqo

Kilauea Update - Eruption Vigor Appears To Be Decreasing (Dec. 29, 2020)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rEoCib5JPU

Today's celebrations...

Falling Needles Family Fest Day   -   https://nationaldaycalendar.com/falling-needles-family-fest-day-december-30/
National Bicarbonate of Soda Day   -   https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-bicarbonate-of-soda-day-december-30/
Bacon Day   -   https://nationaldaycalendar.com/bacon-day-december-30/

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

karengramke

« Reply #19776 on: December 30, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »

Lani, sweet story about the penhuins!   
Thanks clynn for posting the candy bomber!  Even tho it depicts the end of a horrific war it was a much kinder, more gentle time of life!   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:38:55 PM by karengramke »

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #19777 on: December 30, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »

Can't find the post. But someone asked if the afgan I was working on late last night/early morn, was one I had made. No. It isn't. I don't do that sort
of needle work. My late mother did knitting, chrocheting, sewing, quilting and embroidery. I only sew and embroider.

Lani wishing the best recovery for Doc Rogers. lovely photo of him w/Donna.  What a touching story about the  two widowed penguins. Really special and who'd
thought? Just goes to show that mamals and avians  feel all that we feel as humans.
Wondreful Joey story/trib. Thanks for all these.

'Which is more beautiful — feline movement or feline stillness?' Elizabeth Hamilton

'A man who never sees a bluebird only half lives.'
Edwin Way Teale

LisaG1967

« Reply #19778 on: December 30, 2020, 12:50:45 PM »

oldguy - It's your day....BACON!!!  I hope you are off today, and are warm and cozy. 

kb - Are the Towers nest on the water tower or some place near?  Glad to hear that it was nothing very serious for Vi. Does she have to be on a special diet for a while?

Peep - That is alot of Moms and pups!

Lani - Prayers for Dr. Rogers, hope he has a speedy recovery.  I LOVE the post about the widowed penguins, so glad they have each other!

karengramke

« Reply #19779 on: December 30, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »

Lani, wish Aly had found an apartment but I must say these are both terrific cities!   Good luck to her!    Is she teaching and attending school?  Thought I remembered that.  Two of the souths favorite appetizer or finger foods are pimento Cheese and country ham biscuits!   I love the latter whether country or regular ham!  Do not care for the cheese!
Old guy, I am surprised you are not using a snow blower!  Do be careful!
Bet Dr. Rogers is in pretty good shape!

kbshcb

« Reply #19780 on: December 30, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »

oldguy - It's your day....BACON!!!  I hope you are off today, and are warm and cozy. 

kb - Are the Towers nest on the water tower or some place near?  Glad to hear that it was nothing very serious for Vi. Does she have to be on a special diet for a while?

Peep - That is alot of Moms and pups!

Lani - Prayers for Dr. Rogers, hope he has a speedy recovery.  I LOVE the post about the widowed penguins, so glad they have each other!

the Towers nest about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies!...it's their favorite perching place and the highest place to see from at this location..

Vi has tried pepcid etc. but no special diet was given to her. She has tried milk at night and sleeps better. I think at 84 she will just need to see what foods etc. bother her and avoid them. I remember many at that age and a titch older that needed to alter their diet a bit to be more comfortable..

Lani

« Reply #19781 on: December 30, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »

Hi Tsk, Clynn, Lisa, Karen, thanks for your questions and concern about Aly.  ;D As I wrote in earlier posts, Aly's school is doing classes by Zoom only for the rest of the year. After this year, she has one more year to complete to get her Master and intends on finishing there at Santa Fe. She has filed for loan grants.... Like I wrote last night, this is a possible short term stay until she finds a more permanent situation in Santa Fe. She will not look for a job in San Francisco, because she will be refused, as per their new covid regulations. She just wants to spend time with friends near her own age and interests. She doesn't have friends here, other than her old parents, which is very boring....  She wants to return to Santa Fe, but finding an apartment that allows a pet, less than 60 miles away from her school is difficult. So, she has been offered by a friend to share a three bedroom home with two others for two or three months or until she finds a place in Santa Fe. It would be good for her.

PeepSpy

« Reply #19782 on: December 30, 2020, 02:07:04 PM »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #19783 on: December 30, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »

PINK    LOLOL  I wrote all that explanation down so I wouldn't forget it  LOL

PUFF  that's Lucy's favorite place to lay at Xmas as well.  It's a quilted tree skirt my Mom made - have to wash it at the end with all the cat hair on it  LOL

PEEPS  We finally got a Xmas card yesterday that was postmarked the 12th  LOL   It rained during the night so a lot of snow melted.  However unlike some of my neighbors who shoveled or plowed last night, my driveway was a cover of very heavy wet snow.  So I just left it and it will just melt on its own.  Now it's official - you are employed  ;D    LOLOL on the Weasels  ;D    Awww on gray seal pup  ;)

CLYNN  Saw that mountain lion story - Glad you posted it.  Kudos to Fed Ex!  Never heard the Candy bomber story before

LORI  Yummy apple fritters  ;D

TIG  a dinner I would like  ;D

LANI  Thanks for that nice piece on Joey .  Such a sweetie..  Wow what a story on the fairy penguins.  Some animals have an amazing sense.   Thanks for the news on Dr Rogers. Wish him a very speedy recovery.  Thanks for the explanation re Aly's situation.

KB  Colton is a great dog!  Good news for Vi.  Will a special diet ease her gastritis or meds?  You answered it.

OLDGUY  Boy Hana does NOT like Miri  too bad.  It's your day today - Bacon day!!  Minion - did all of them except the last  LOL

PHYLIZ  it was me - so were you finishing off one of your mother's with the ribbon?
Chicagoland

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #19784 on: December 30, 2020, 02:37:40 PM »