Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2020  (Read 34415 times)

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
Re: Decorah North Eagles 2020
« Reply #705 on: August 24, 2020, 10:27:59 PM »

I don't know Ginger about all of these Decorah kids running amok in North America ..

But it sure makes Pip & I smile. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:30:19 PM by BrokenLug »

LisaG1967

« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »

Here's a video by Lizzy G Eaglespirit of this morning's activities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT6P21kJB3Q

There were actually 3 intruders.  If you start watching at about 5:24 you'll see 2 juvies and then one flies off to the left as a 3rd flies in from the right.  The 2 that are flying are partially hidden by the streambank but you can see the wings.

I think it was DNF at the stream and it looked to me like she was eating a fish.

Lisa -- Can you tell us at what time stamp in the video you thought you saw a band on the left leg?

Ginger, in Lizzy's video I first noticed it around 29:49-29:50, but the other two times I noticed it she does not have that footage in her video, and those are the pics that I captured when it was sitting on that branch. 

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #707 on: August 25, 2020, 08:34:28 AM »

There were actually 3 intruders.  If you start watching at about 5:24 you'll see 2 juvies and then one flies off to the left as a 3rd flies in from the right.  The 2 that are flying are partially hidden by the streambank but you can see the wings.

I think it was DNF at the stream and it looked to me like she was eating a fish.

Lisa -- Can you tell us at what time stamp in the video you thought you saw a band on the left leg?

Ginger, in Lizzy's video I first noticed it around 29:49-29:50, but the other two times I noticed it she does not have that footage in her video, and those are the pics that I captured when it was sitting on that branch.

Thanks for taking a look, Lisa.  Maybe we'll get another opportunity.

LisaG1967

« Reply #708 on: August 25, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »

Thanks for taking a look, Lisa.  Maybe we'll get another opportunity.

I hope so  :)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #709 on: August 25, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »

BL -- Here's the video RRP provided of the visit to DNN by D24 in 2016.  You can't tell much from it, but here's RRP's description:

D24 visited the Decorah North Nest! While we have redacted the coordinates, we did catch his visit on video. Thanks to Sherri Elliott for the heads up. While we only see the two from a distance, it is a real treat to see D24 show up here! To learn more about these eagles, visit http://bit.ly/1MR4fCw and http://bit.ly/1SDIZXs.

At the beginning of the video, the first juvenile bald eagle flies in (we don't know who is DN1 and who is D24). 53 seconds later,  it flies off to the right. 6 seconds later, a second juvenile bald eagle flies in from the left lands on the pasture branch (it is easy to see the fly-in, but hard to see it sitting). Five seconds after that, the 1st eagle flies in from the right, circles around, and flies off over the pasture. 16 seconds later, the second bald eagle flies off the pasture branch to the right and circles around to the left of screen.

So how do we know it is D24? We are tracking D24 and D25 with transmitters and D24's transmitter indicated he paid a visit here. We are very excited about it!
---------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLXo9hVLxPc

STLbf

« Reply #710 on: August 25, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »

Tuesday morning, back to the male oriole perching and feeding above the nest. Watch him on the rewind to see how he grasps a leaf, turns it over, and picks at whatever is on the underside.

I will miss oriole fledglings here when the cameras turn off.

Do the cam ops have new software this week? The views are softer and the light is different, both on long distance and close up. Does anyone here on the Forum know? I don't want it to be a change in my vision!   ;)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #711 on: August 25, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »

It's not you, STL.   ;D

My understanding is that when the mic went out a few days ago, that meant 2 of the cams went out as well.  There are 4 cams:  Pasture, 4K, 2K, Samsung (old cam).  The only cams working right now are the Pasture cam and the 2K.  The 4K, which is NOT working, is the one with the most vivid colors (close up anyway).  The other day during a visit from the Baltimore Oriole when all cams were working, there was a cam switch.  Here are snips that show the difference in color intensity.  As far as I know that's the only reason the colors are softer now.

Not sure which cam this is.

4K cam that's no longer working.

STLbf

« Reply #712 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »

Thanks for the camera info, Ginger. I loved that blue background with the oriole and leaves. It would have made a photo worth framing if the bird had been in front of the leaves.

BrokenLug

• Jersey Highlands
« Reply #713 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »

Thank you for the video of D24 visiting the North nest Ginger.  ;D
All I knew was he was nearby the area on that date, but I didn't know that RRP had confirmed he had actually visited the DNN.  8)  8)

monarch

« Reply #714 on: August 26, 2020, 08:47:24 AM »

Appears an owl/osprey(?) tried to bomb dnf about 7:55am. She took a big swat at it and it flew off.

updated....guess I stopped video too soon.....it came back a few times.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:59:27 AM by monarch »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #715 on: August 26, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »

Monarch -- I thought it looked like a hawk or possibly an osprey, but I can't tell for sure.  I didn't think it flew like an owl.  Here's a video I recorded of the encounter.

https://youtu.be/PczoQUAptmA

STLbf

« Reply #716 on: August 26, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »

Missed the encounter between BE and other bird -- will see on rewind and the video posted here by Monarch.

Photo of oriole nest from about 7AM, during panning of the area under the eagle nest. It's in a small tree.

STLbf

« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »

About the bird encounter this morning -- My guess is that it was either a great horned owl or a barred owl. Looks like the legs are heavily feathered and hanging down, wings and tail quite rounded. GHO is double the weight of a barred owl, so closer to size of the eagle.  Compare to osprey & red tailed hawk. 

All four Photos taken from Google search.

RRP's facebook page or the commenters at Explore have more expertise than I do! What do they say?

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #718 on: August 27, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »

STL -- I asked our Explore mod for her opinion.  She said:

"I really don't know. The color is just too washed out and view was too far away after the first pass. I'm sure there was more color on the underside and tail of that bird than all white, you could kind of see some of it at the end of the first pass.
I can't figure why a hawk would be harassing at this time of the year. Osprey might make sense since they had been sitting over there and maybe fishing from that location recently" 

STLbf

« Reply #719 on: August 27, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »

Ginger, Thanks for the added information about the intruder. We'll never know.

A camera on that side of the stream would sure be helpful in getting better views of the eagles and other creatures. Wonder about a power source in that location.   :D
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70   Go Up