Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: After the Fledge 2019 paddling trip  (Read 2940 times)

iverburl

After the Fledge 2019 paddling trip
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »

This thread will contain info and updates about the canoe/kayak trip at After the Fledge July 2019. It also can be a spot for folks to shop for possible canoe partners if they prefer not to paddle a solo kayak. Thanks for your interest.
- Scott Iverson
Changing times require unchanging principles.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
Re: After the Fledge 2019 paddling trip
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »

This thread will contain info and updates about the canoe/kayak trip at After the Fledge July 2019. It also can be a spot for folks to shop for possible canoe partners if they prefer not to paddle a solo kayak. Thanks for your interest.
- Scott Iverson

Thanks Scott!  I know of at least a few people that will be looking for canoe partners this year, so if any of you out there are also looking, here is the place to find someone! :)

~Izzy
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

EagleAngels

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »

Is there a tentative time for the trip or trips, yet? Trying to plan when to arrive in Decorah. Thanks!

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
  • Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »

Thanks Scott! Mark and I will be there with bells on (or with pfd's on lol). Excited to help with the pre-float breakfast if you plan to do that again, and to assist with getting everyone going down the river and out at the end.  We've been getting some posts from chatters about needing a paddling buddy, some who need assistance etc., so we'll get together about coordinating that when you are ready.  Thanks again for heading this up again this year!
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html

iverburl

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 04:14:42 AM »

Is there a tentative time for the trip or trips, yet? Trying to plan when to arrive in Decorah. Thanks!
Specific times should be announced soon. Here is a general guide.

Consider arriving to attend Meet and Greet in the early evening on Thursday if possible. It is a good kickoff for the weekend, connecting you with other attendees. This also assures you can visit the hatchery that evening and early the next morning, which are great times of day to see active eagles and to get nicely-lit photos.

Paddling is early Friday morning. Not farmer or donut-maker early, but way before banker hours. And breakfast and registration and loading and transportation upriver all come before dipping a paddle. So this is another reason to try for Thursday evening arrival.

If this timing does not work for someone, I encourage them to contact Off the Driftless in Decorah to arrange some time on the river. It is a special part of Decorah offering another perspective on our kinship with eagles.

iverburl

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 04:23:49 AM »

I would be glad to be a canoe partner with someone.
Lori is an AtF river trip veteran, as friendly a companion as you ever will meet, and she handles a canoe as though she was born in one. Though many on our trip choose solo kayaks, the comfort and capacity of a canoe have advantages. Lori would be an excellent back partner to a photographer in front, for example.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:00:17 PM »

Hi iverburl :)  TY so much for coordinating the "river float".  Attended my first ATF last year with my two dogs along (a large black retriever and small redheaded retriever with white toes in case you met them).  My elderly Flat-Coated Retriever passed away at 15.7 years this April.  I will have my 9 year old, 33# Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever coming along this year.  Am wondering if anybody would be interested in sharing a canoe with us (Toller is trained and will maintain a position in center of canoe).  I would kayak by myself, but am not supposed to leave dog unattended in room at hotel, and the outdoor temperature will probably be prohibitive to leave her in her crate in my van.  I skipped the canoe/kayak event last year for these reasons, but love to do either and wanted to present the inquiry this year just in case it would be possible to add the Toller to a canoe and paddle with a second person.  Anybody interested  ::) ??  Thank you!

iverburl

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 04:21:51 AM »

Hi Lindabird. Thanks for considering the river outing. If you can't arrange a partner, another option might be to use a solo canoe. I think they might have one or two of these, which the video calls a kayak, but which is open like a canoe:
https://youtu.be/UOtr_g_fc4w
I'll try to verify what is available. But a partner would be better.
Also, if I end up in a canoe with my wife or another partner, Toller is welcome to join us.
-Scott

iverburl

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »

Hi Lindabird. Thanks for considering the river outing. If you can't arrange a partner, another option might be to use a solo canoe. I think they might have one or two of these, which the video calls a kayak, but which is open like a canoe:
https://youtu.be/UOtr_g_fc4w
I'll try to verify what is available. But a partner would be better.
Also, if I end up in a canoe with my wife or another partner, Toller is welcome to join us.
-Scott
I verified today that a dog is OK in the Osagian solos. They have two of those boats. PM me if you want to discuss other options.

iverburl

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 06:29:22 PM »

One day into registration and there are 16 of us interested in paddling!

I have verified that Off the Driftless can provide canoe and kayak rental services again this year. (They are the only outfitter within Decorah.) Here are some details.

Double canoe or double kayak $40. Single canoe or single kayak $20. Payment by cash or check only. These prices reflect a discount for AtF ... thanks Lee!

I have a stack of rental forms, so we can fill them out at Meet and Greet or at the Hatchery Breakfast and therefore spend less time at the outfitter.

Please call Off the Driftless at 563-382-4641 to choose and reserve your boats. Or email [email protected], or contact them through Facebook at www.facebook.com/offthedriftless. Lee will call you back to discuss your boat choice.Two have already initiated the process ... thanks ... he has been working on callbacks.

We will meet at the Hatchery Breakfast. 7:00 or maybe earlier; I still need to coordinate that with others. We'll leave there at about 7:20 to get to the outfitter at about 7:30 and hopefully be paddling around 8:00.

I will post preparation suggestions and river condition updates here as the event nears. I am happy to answer any questions in this thread or by PM here. I'll try to check here daily now that we are in registration mode.

Thanks to you all for supporting AtF, RRP, and Decorah area tourism.

-S

MNLindaBird

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 11:22:41 PM »

Thanks for the info, iverburl - Looked at the open kayak design, but don't believe we are experienced enough to try that at this time.  It sure is a nice goal to aim for though.  I love to kayak, but the downside before this new info was the inability for the dog to join me.  I'll have to look into this some more.  Almost purchased my own kayak last fall.  Now glad that I didn't I think...

Still hoping to find a canoe partner if possible.  Thank you for the offer of accommodating my Toller (I think you'd enjoy her company); but if I were in a separate kayak close by, I'm not quite certain what she might think about that - or potentially act upon ;)  That might be advanced level canoe training for us  8)

As more ATF participants show interest in paddling, maybe something will work out for partnering. Have never heard of a single canoe either.  Sounds interesting.  Is that shorter than a regular/double canoe?  Would that be a better size for the dog and me?  I'm not a Facebook member, so will get in touch with Off the Driftless in a different fashion for more info.   

MNLindaBird

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 11:27:26 PM »

Just thinking that maybe the "single canoe" is actually the Osagian Kayak...

iverburl

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »

Just thinking that maybe the "single canoe" is actually the Osagian Kayak...
Exactly. I don't know why they call it a kayak, except perhaps because they offer a version with the front end covered. I have rented one from Off the Driftless for curiosity, and it paddles like other solo canoes I have tried. I will PM some possibilities to you.

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
  • Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »

One day into registration and there are 16 of us interested in paddling!

I have verified that Off the Driftless can provide canoe and kayak rental services again this year. (They are the only outfitter within Decorah.) Here are some details.

Double canoe or double kayak $40. Single canoe or single kayak $20. Payment by cash or check only. These prices reflect a discount for AtF ... thanks Lee!

I have a stack of rental forms, so we can fill them out at Meet and Greet or at the Hatchery Breakfast and therefore spend less time at the outfitter.

Please call Off the Driftless at 563-382-4641 to choose and reserve your boats. Or email [email protected], or contact them through Facebook at www.facebook.com/offthedriftless. Lee will call you back to discuss your boat choice.Two have already initiated the process ... thanks ... he has been working on callbacks.

We will meet at the Hatchery Breakfast. 7:00 or maybe earlier; I still need to coordinate that with others. We'll leave there at about 7:20 to get to the outfitter at about 7:30 and hopefully be paddling around 8:00.

I will post preparation suggestions and river condition updates here as the event nears. I am happy to answer any questions in this thread or by PM here. I'll try to check here daily now that we are in registration mode.

Thanks to you all for supporting AtF, RRP, and Decorah area tourism.

-S
Hi Scott - we're good for 7 am or earlier at the hatchery; and will pick up supplies as needed, just let us know.  I will be calling Off the Driftless to reserve our kayaks tomorrow; it's just too much of a hassle to bring our own boats. If you think of anything else we can do to help, just shoot me an email or give me a call, I will message you with my cell # if you don't have it.  Thanks! Brenda & Mark (tulsa and Mr. Tulsa)
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html

iverburl

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 02:51:08 AM »

Hi Scott - we're good for 7 am or earlier at the hatchery; and will pick up supplies as needed, just let us know.  I will be calling Off the Driftless to reserve our kayaks tomorrow; it's just too much of a hassle to bring our own boats. If you think of anything else we can do to help, just shoot me an email or give me a call, I will message you with my cell # if you don't have it.  Thanks! Brenda & Mark (tulsa and Mr. Tulsa)
FYI to others: Tulsaducati has graciously agreed to coordinate this event in subsequent years. I hope to continue paddling, but this puts the event more under RRP's wings.
-S