Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152838 times)

clarindagirl

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #2085 on: September 21, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »

Views of the new camera location and equipment this afternoon.  Where is it in relation to the camera we are used to seeing? And how will the view be different?  Info to come!

Just checking in.  See new cam image.  Can't seem to sign on to Chatroll.  Things seem to be progressing.

STLbf

« Reply #2086 on: September 22, 2022, 10:46:51 AM »

Clarinda, welcome back to the Flyway forum!  I seldom log in to the chats, but it was working on Wednesday.  Give it another try on Friday.  The Decorah chats won't be back until October, but the Flyway stays active all year.

So far, I can't tell one cam view from the other. I'm sure we will all figure it out as time goes along.

Yesterday there were several sandhill cranes in view with the many, many other birds.  Their calls are very distinctive, and their size, too. 

T40cfr403

« Reply #2087 on: September 22, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

clarindagirl

« Reply #2088 on: September 23, 2022, 10:41:21 AM »

September 23, 2022, Friday, 10:30am --  Sandhill Crane --  Flyway

Spotted a Sandhill Crane with a broken or injured leg.

clarindagirl

« Reply #2089 on: September 23, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »

September 23, 2022 --  Moonset and Sunrise  --  Flyway

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #2090 on: September 23, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »

Does anybirdy know exactly what RRP meant about a "new cam on the flyway"  Peeps here have said "they like it" but I have yet to ascertain whether there's a new cam or the current cam has been re-perched on a taller pole offering us a shot of the old pole stripped of all it's gear.  I would illustrate my meaning if I was gifted with computereeze and could "easily post a picture for you" of what I'm saying, but with a very experienced eye on the flyway, I'd say the picture we're viewing now is a new camera on a taller pole on the same (nearly) location as what is the location of our old solar panel.  The old camera pole is what we see....like the apes in 2001: Space Odyssey!
Comments?   :) ;)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

STLbf

« Reply #2091 on: September 23, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »

Clarinda, love that sunrise pic today!  And moonset too.  Night before last, I noticed that Orion is back in the early morning sky -- Northern Hemisphere.

eburg,  great comments about the cameras at the Flyway.  Like you, I'm waiting for the official word from RRP.  New or replacement, now one camera or two and exactly where are they?  All will be revealed in good time.

STLbf

« Reply #2092 on: September 24, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »

Birds on camera this morning.

STLbf

« Reply #2093 on: September 24, 2022, 03:06:22 PM »

What duck is this?  See yellow line around in the pic.   Juvenile male mallard??

T40cfr403

« Reply #2094 on: September 25, 2022, 01:07:57 AM »

Hope this helps answer some of your questions. ;)

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project added 12 new photos to the album: 2022: RRP At Work.
Sept. 1, 2022

RRP At Work: Camera pole installation on the Mississippi Flyway, August 30th. We'll be installing a second camera here some time in October. Changes in the river due to high water and soil erosion built an island around our original pole. A thousand thanks to Shafer Marine Services, Brice Prairie EMT, the Brice Prairie Conservation Group, and the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife and Fish Refuge. You guys rock!
You can watch the Mississippi Flyway cam here: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/flyway-cam/.

August 30, 2022: Shafer's Marine Services volunteered to install the new camera pole with their extremely cool work barge.

August 30, 2022: Members of Brice Prairie EMS and Conservation Association. They rescue people and advocate for the health of the Black River, Lake Onalaska, and the Mississippi River. They also help us maintain the Mississippi Flyway cam and add new equipment. http://www.briceprairieconservation.org/
https://www.bpfr.org/

August 30, 2022: The work barge is cool! The SMS crew picked up the log with their boom, raised it, and screwed it five feet into the river bed. All activity was done under an Upper Mississippi National Wildlife and Fish Refuge permit.

August 30, 2022: This went so quickly! It was also really awesome to watch. See the black thing at the bottom of the pole? John added a garbage can to keep the sludge back and fill with cement.

August 30, 2022: Fritz Funk from Brice Prairie EMS provided a jetting tool to help dig a hole for the pole. It's tricky, intensive work: the river and mud fight every step of the way!

August 30, 2022: The Shafer's Marine Services crew. Thanks, guys...you are awesome! https://www.schafersmarine.com/

August 30, 2022: Jonathan Howe, Dave Prestby, and Marc Schultz from Brice Prairie Conservation Association.

August 30, 2022: Amy Ries attaching hardware to the pole.

August 30, 2022: Boating across Lake Onalaska. We had four boats: the SMS work barge, the Brice Prairie EMT boat, Mark's boat, and Joe's boat. It takes a lot of work to get all of the people and equipment out to the middle of the river!

August 30, 2022: Fritz Funk, Amy Ries, Jonathan Howe.

August 30, 2022: Jeff Worell at our lake office!

August 30, 2022: RRP Director John Howe shows off our new solar panel! We added another solar panel and electrical box last week, although we don't have pictures of that. We'll add camera number two in October.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

STLbf

« Reply #2095 on: September 25, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »

T40, thanks so much for posting the pics about preparations for the new camera at the Flyway!  All of these folks are just the best ever!

You will notice from recent "watcher" pics from me, that the gulls are guarding the new pole, protecting it from predators no doubt!  Ready for October installation.  Whee!   ;D

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #2096 on: September 26, 2022, 04:23:43 AM »

Hi everyone!!  thx again T40  ;) awesome pics!  take care...
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

T40cfr403

« Reply #2097 on: September 29, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »

clarindagirl

« Reply #2098 on: October 01, 2022, 08:50:27 AM »

October 1, 2020, Saturday, 8:30am --  Ebony and Ivory --  Flyway

American White Pelicans and Double-crested Cormorants

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 07:15:26 AM by clarindagirl »

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #2099 on: October 03, 2022, 02:01:21 PM »

Those darn Canadians.  Check out today's action right around 12:30 pm.  Goose gooses Pelican.  Just to be mean?  Some kind of payback?  Typical Canadian inter-action?
You just can't tell with Canadian Geese....unless they're playing hockey!  :) ;)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa