Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 151970 times)

STLbf

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #2010 on: May 21, 2022, 12:12:52 PM »

Sandhill family again on the morning rewind.  And lots of turtles basking late morning -- all the same kind I believe.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #2011 on: May 22, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »

STL--do you check out the comments with the screen caps on the explore page?  Just wondering, cuz I have the same question as the last posted.  What kind of Fish is that making all the churned waters.  Asked my fisherman buddy (who doesn't do explore) and after my lame descriptions said they might be walleye.  They're big, whatever they are.  Maybe camperstig watches this thread.  She and others on the Forum would probably recognize the fish views we get on the flyway.
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

STLbf

« Reply #2012 on: May 22, 2022, 12:36:57 PM »

eburg, no I do not check on Explore comments. Have not been successful reading or signing up for that chat.  Try Ginger52, who posts in this Forum and follows Explore and is really helpful about IDing critters.

As to the really large fish churning the shallow waters today, I'm guessing it is something spawning. Don't know if Walleye are here.  Try looking at one of the state Depts of Natural Resources or Conservation to see which large fish are spawning now.  In past years, the eagles catch huge lunkers at this time of year.  Maybe buffalo something??

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #2013 on: May 22, 2022, 12:47:33 PM »

Thanks STL!  :)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #2014 on: May 22, 2022, 08:06:57 PM »

STL--do you check out the comments with the screen caps on the explore page?  Just wondering, cuz I have the same question as the last posted.  What kind of Fish is that making all the churned waters.  Asked my fisherman buddy (who doesn't do explore) and after my lame descriptions said they might be walleye.  They're big, whatever they are.  Maybe camperstig watches this thread.  She and others on the Forum would probably recognize the fish views we get on the flyway.

Eburg -- JT on the Explore chat board ID's the fish as spawning Eurasian Carp.  JT is really excellent at ID's, so I assume that's correct.

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #2015 on: May 22, 2022, 09:34:45 PM »

Thanks Ginger!  And the same was offered by camperstig on the Beak Room.  Guess I'll go with Eurasian carp cuz the American carp I caught as a kid looked different.  More scaly and grayer.  Will check it out.   

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #2016 on: May 22, 2022, 09:44:55 PM »

Just came back from web search on Eurasian carp.  And silver carp.  They don't look like what we've been seeing.  The back fins are different and the nose is shaped differently and the coloration is wrong.  Guess I'll keep an open mind on the subject, but I still think it's a "mystery fish"!  ;) :) :)

STLbf

« Reply #2017 on: May 23, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »

eburg, you might try scrolling through the Flyway Forum archive for 2021 or earlier if available. See if someone posted a pic with the large spawning fish at about the same date.  Or a pic of the eagles eating on a huge fish with fish ID.

eburgbirdwtchr

« Reply #2018 on: May 23, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion STL.  One of the explore contributors has a shot of the silhouette of the fish.  I'm working on matching it.  Slowly.  Since I don't want to miss too much here and the other sites I view.
 ;) :) :)

clarindagirl

« Reply #2019 on: May 24, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »

May 24, 2022, Tuesday, am --  Sandhill Crane Pair with two Chicks  --  Flyway

clarindagirl

« Reply #2020 on: May 25, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »

May 25, 2022, Wednesday, 8:00am --  Sandhill Crane Sheltering 2 Chicks From Rain --  Flyway
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:42:47 AM by clarindagirl »

STLbf

« Reply #2021 on: May 25, 2022, 10:40:05 AM »

clarinda, aren't SHC chicks just the cutest ever? 

STLbf

« Reply #2022 on: May 25, 2022, 12:41:42 PM »

Another rainy pic from the Flyway.

clarindagirl

« Reply #2023 on: May 25, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »

LOVED WATCHING THEM THIS MORNING!!

clarindagirl

« Reply #2024 on: May 25, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »

GREAT CAPTURE!