Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 152039 times)

STLbf

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #1590 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »

Drama on the Flyway early this morning, starting about 6 AM with a goose in distress. Not closeup and many ducks around, but the cam op stays with it as it succumbs. The ducks all fly away and an eagle swoops down to grab the goose. It's too heavy to fly with, so drags it to a bit of land. Eating proceeds, then a younger eagle runs off the original "owner." Rain begins during the drama and continues all morning.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #1591 on: July 29, 2021, 05:12:34 PM »

Wow!

STLbf

« Reply #1592 on: July 30, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »

Pinky dawn, and one pic of a BE this morning.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #1593 on: July 31, 2021, 06:20:42 PM »

Dragonfly on the Flyway.  Has anybirdy ever seen a dragonfly catch and eat a mosquito?  Suppose I should just google it, but I have to get to the store now.  Maybe later this evening.  Thank you camera operator for the shots you give us. Wish I could ID everybirdy, flower, weed, bug, critter you show us!!  :)
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

STLbf

« Reply #1594 on: August 01, 2021, 11:28:03 AM »

eburg, I have never seen a dragonfly catch a mosquito, but I bet you could find a pic via Google or YouTube!  Way too many names to remember, but it's good to have the lists bookmarked.  In my garden, I have watched praying mantis catch and devour various insects. Mantis are kind of creepy because they can turn their heads and look right at you.  :)

For dragonfly ID, there's a really good list with pictures if you search "Dragonflies in Iowa."  Possible to find similar lists in many state conservation department websites.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1595 on: August 02, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »

Hiya folks, some technical issues on the flyway chat, so we probably won't be able to have it today.  If it starts working again, we'll go ahead and open chat!

~Izzy
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1596 on: August 02, 2021, 10:58:53 AM »

Dragonfly on the Flyway.  Has anybirdy ever seen a dragonfly catch and eat a mosquito?  Suppose I should just google it, but I have to get to the store now.  Maybe later this evening.  Thank you camera operator for the shots you give us. Wish I could ID everybirdy, flower, weed, bug, critter you show us!!  :)

Eburg, on the flyway chat we do our best to ID everything we can-even the dragonflies and such! 8)
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

STLbf

« Reply #1597 on: August 03, 2021, 03:27:22 PM »

At first glance, this view reminds me of piano keys!

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1598 on: August 03, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »

I love it when the cormorants show up, to hang out with the pelicans! 8) ;D

Raleigheagle

« Reply #1599 on: August 04, 2021, 08:38:10 AM »

;)

T40cfr403

« Reply #1600 on: August 06, 2021, 01:31:26 AM »

WOW!

Mississippi River Flyway Cam. Sunset (timelapse) - explore.org 08-05-2021 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Whnft6xfk
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #1601 on: August 06, 2021, 04:03:52 PM »

Mississippi River Flyway Cam. Chance, is that you? - explore.org 08-06-2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWtxFnMma0
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

STLbf

« Reply #1602 on: August 08, 2021, 11:22:51 AM »

Birds at the beauty shop this morning, self-service, perfect log to perch on for preening. Gulls, ducks, pelicans, terns. What species of tern, do we know? Common and Forster's are possibles. Looks like black legs, which might be a juvenile.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:25:41 AM by STLbf »

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #1603 on: August 09, 2021, 10:46:31 AM »

Birds at the beauty shop this morning, self-service, perfect log to perch on for preening. Gulls, ducks, pelicans, terns. What species of tern, do we know? Common and Forster's are possibles. Looks like black legs, which might be a juvenile.

I think they are Caspian terns, we have them every year:)

~Izzy

STLbf

« Reply #1604 on: August 09, 2021, 11:18:03 AM »

Izzy, Thanks for the bird ID. Caspian terns, OK with me!