Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse  (Read 368075 times)

STLbf

Re: Flyway Cam NFWR La Crosse
« Reply #2400 on: August 02, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »

Ginger, I was also thinking swallows from the way they were flying in and out.  No closeups enough to Identify them more precisely.

Cam ops finding larger birds this morning.  And a beautiful full moon setting. Weather folks where I live called it a Super Moon because it is "close" to Earth in its orbit, one of two full moons this month, the second is called a Blue Moon.

STLbf

« Reply #2401 on: August 04, 2023, 12:00:34 PM »

Cam ops showing amazing closeups of great egret and great blue heron this morning.  That "posing log" is the perfect place, and the birds are really cooperative today.  Bonus bird -- female red-winged blackbird. Note the pale shade of pinkish red on her shoulders.  This post, great egret.  Next post, great blue heron.

STLbf

« Reply #2402 on: August 04, 2023, 12:02:05 PM »

GBH closeups.

STLbf

« Reply #2403 on: August 04, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »

I'm working on ID for the flocks of swallows at the Flyway at this time of year.  Today, I think they may be tree swallows. The females are dark on the back and white belly, and the males have dark and shiny blue feathers with the white, juvies similar to females according to AllAboutBirds.  What do you-all think?

STLbf

« Reply #2404 on: August 05, 2023, 04:43:02 PM »

FYI, the two juvenile turkey vultures at Marshall, MO, fledged early this afternoon.  Check the Forum for pics, and watch on the rewind.

T40cfr403

« Reply #2405 on: August 06, 2023, 05:53:25 PM »

Raptor Resource Project's Cam Life 2023 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUlJdWrSII4

Aug 6, 2023
What a season 2023 was! We cheered HM, HD, and DH2; celebrated and mourned at Great Spirit Bluff; crossed our fingers for the Decorah North eagles (if one eagle could have incubated an egg all by himself, Mr. North would have done it); and were enthralled by the beautiful birds, turtles, flowers, frogs, and sunrises and sunsets on the Flyway. But the end of the summer is almost here and we need to take our usual fall break for cam maintenance and replacement!

We'll be shutting the Decorah and Decorah north cams down at 5:00 pm CDT on Wednesday, August 16. Come join us for a last 2023 chat on the Decorah nest from from 3 pm to 5 pm nest time (https://www.raptorresource.org/birdca...) and mark your calendars for Saturday, October 14th - the day we turn both cameras back on!

Between now and the 16th, we'll be taking a few strolls down memory lane, thanking some contributors, and sharing fan art and videos. This video was created by Marilyn Mitchell. If you have videos, images, or art celebrating the Decorah Eagles, Decorah North Eagles, GSB Falcons, or the Flyway, please send it my way!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

STLbf

« Reply #2406 on: August 07, 2023, 11:24:35 AM »

T40, good to have the dates for cameras off and back on at Decorah and Decorah North.  Correct that the Flyway camera stays on all year?

Today between about 10:00 and 11:00 a group of sandhill cranes posed for closeup pics for the cam ops.  Thanks to all.   :D   ;)

STLbf

« Reply #2407 on: August 07, 2023, 11:26:34 AM »

More closeups of sandhill cranes.  They are larger than great blue herons and great egrets.  Heavier bodies, taller, bigger wingspan.

In 2022, there were sandhill cranes with their babies, called colts, in June.  This year I did not see any, but might have just missed them on the rewinds, pics, and videos.  Anybody know if there were colts on camera in 2023?  Are sandhill numbers up or down at the Flyway?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 11:30:59 AM by STLbf »

STLbf

« Reply #2408 on: August 09, 2023, 12:08:27 PM »

Great egret resting one-legged; wish I could stand on one leg that long!

STLbf

« Reply #2409 on: August 10, 2023, 03:39:59 PM »

Somebody could make a great "I Spy" game from Flyway closeups this time of year!!

pelmomma

• ChatMods
« Reply #2410 on: August 11, 2023, 11:07:00 AM »

Chatroll at the Decorah Eagles Nest, Decorah North Nest, and the Mississippi River Flyway site is not working correctly.  RRP has been notified.  Thanks for your patience till it gets back to normal.  The cams are still all working fine.
Please encourage your friends to switch away from lead when they hunt and fish.

https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/hunt-and-fish-lead-free/

STLbf

« Reply #2411 on: August 11, 2023, 01:33:01 PM »

Wood duck on view at about 11:00 this morning, perched on a dead branch, preening, napping.  Note the red eye and red bill, and muted feather markings.  AllAboutBirds says this is an "eclipse" male, typical in late summer, nonbreeding time.  Watch and learn!

STLbf

« Reply #2412 on: August 13, 2023, 02:55:27 PM »

Red in the morning, sailors take warning -- will it rain or storm later today?

STLbf

« Reply #2413 on: August 17, 2023, 02:54:28 PM »

oooh, oooh, look what the cam ops found at the posing log around noon today -- a banded juvenile peregrine!!
Not from GSB, but still it's a find.  Could be one of the others banded by RRP.  Someone will be able to look it up.
Banded left, black over blue, H-52.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2414 on: August 18, 2023, 02:55:28 AM »

Mississippi River Flyway Cam
Aug 2, 2023 6:42 AM
Camera Time: Aug 2, 2023 6:42 AM CDT
Birchwoman

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam