Archives > Peregrine Falcons 2022

Baltimore Md Chesapeake Conservancy

<< < (33/37) > >>

shep:
June 5, 2021
6.15 am HOLY COW! He flew up atop the bridge so easily!
Then went a-galloping down the length.
That is EXACTLY how one of the juvies fledged one year.
Is fledge this near???
I am amazed

shep:
June 7, 2021
This is the female June 6 - I suspect the male fledged.
She jumped up there from doorway and sat and preened.
Then jumped back down into nest.
She is NOT ready to fledge yet.

😊 They are perfectly within the normal fledge period of 35-40 days.
Video off Explore
Juvie Peregrine Falcons in Baltimore June 6, 2008
https://youtu.be/PNSB2PD_qkE

shep:
Falcon update
June 17, 2021 From Facebook

A few days ago, a building tenant observed one of the eyasses from her office window and sensed things were amiss with one of the wings. The eyas had a meal (we suspect one of the parents brought it) and was otherwise looking stable.  Wildlife Service and building management were contacted and a rescue mission ensued. However, skyscraper rescues are tricky!  (call 82nd Airborn!)

This morning, the eyas was located on the ground and safely captured by the building manager. Other than the suspected wing injury, the eyas is doing well, waiting safely inside (in a laundry basket on the other side of the window of its scrape) for a visit to the The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore where further care and evaluation will be provided. Chesapeake Conservancy thanks everyone involved for caring for this baby falcon!

The USFWS raptor biologist added, "Although this youngster had the misfortune of veering into a window (collision, most likely) he exhibited awesome might and attitude! A few days ago, while assessing his wing injury and physical appearance from inside an office room window of the 24th floor, he appeared in good spirits since he had received a food delivery from a parent falcon earlier. More surprisingly, on a balcony ledge of the 24th floor high above city dwellers of downtown Baltimore, the ever-abundant cicada presented themselves as food to an eager little falcon. He watched with anticipation as several groups began hitting the window and flailing at his feet. Within minutes he had consumed four protein treats!"
https://www.explore.org/livecams/birds/peregrine-falcon-chesapeake-conservancy

sky posted on bcaw
https://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewforum.php?f=514

shep:
Cooper & Suki
Sept 10, 2021  I peeked in to see Barb in nest picking pebbles.  Found notes.

Chesapeakers finally named the 2 juvies.
Suki was found dead, only Cooper surviving to annoy his parents.
Aug 27, 2021 Cooper is coming to the nest to visit.  He visited several more days.

Chesapeake_Conservancy_Member Mod posted in August
Sad news to share from the peregrine falcon nest. We've been informed that one of the Falcon eyasses was found deceased on a building rooftop nearby. As of now, we have no explanation as to why the bird passed away.

shep:
🎄 Nov 30, 2021
A LARGE magnificent falcon arrived. It is NOT the Barb or Boh from spring 2021

I watched it and its behavior is completely different. I have not watched here since the kids fledged in June

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version