Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: After the Fledge 2019  (Read 14089 times)

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
Re: After the Fledge 2019
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2019, 02:03:40 AM »

Super, thanks Izzy!  :)

iverburl

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »

In honesty, Festina's Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua has not been the world's smallest for quite some time, and it perhaps never was. This in no way diminishes its status as a peaceful refuge in the countryside and a testament to one man's faith and dedication.

"Collecting" tiny churches can be a hobby for travelers. Maybe this is a chance to start by bagging at least two? Highland Lutheran north of Decorah has a tiny replica of itself in its backyard with room for about four. Not on this website yet, though:
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/36537
Sorry, the chapel that site mentions in Waukon and its host The House of Clocks no longer exist.

And that House of Clocks reminds me of another oddity at the same spot. Want to start a more oddball "collection" of roadside sights? Spot your first Muffler Man on Highway 76 on the south edge of Waukon. I always have wanted to take a big rope and add a leash.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/8868
Changing times require unchanging principles.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »

Speaking of things to do in the area...

For all you fans of "Little House on the Prairie", there is a Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Burr Oak, not far away at all. I've always meant to go there...

https://lauraingallswilder.us/

And of  course y'all, there is fishing!!!!  So much fishing!!!  Here's a link to the DNR's fishing report..

https://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Fishing-Reports?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Just make sure you get back in time for all the fun After the Fledge Festivities!!! ;D

ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »

In honesty, Festina's Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua has not been the world's smallest for quite some time, and it perhaps never was. This in no way diminishes its status as a peaceful refuge in the countryside and a testament to one man's faith and dedication.

I just happened to remember that I took a few photos of this chapel at the time we visited so here they are.  Thanks again, Iver.  It was really neat to see. My Iphone labeled it Washington, IA.

[attachment deleted by admin]
glogdog

iverburl

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 04:09:51 AM »

My Iphone labeled it Washington, IA.
Phones are weird. Washington is way down south of Iowa City, three hours from Decorah.

JulieB

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »

Hi.  I'm new to the Forum, so forgive me if I'm posting this incorrectly.
I have a question about the After the Fledge next week.
I made a reservation to stay at Luther College.  With the weather forecasts for next week coming in, looks like it may be a hot one.
I never thought about it until today, but are there air conditioners in the rooms at the college?
It's been a lot of years since I lived in a dorm, and I know way back then there were never any air conditioners where I lived.
Thank you.  Julie

Puff

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »

OLDGUY  I need to speak with you.  Please contact

Puff

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

Hi.  I'm new to the Forum, so forgive me if I'm posting this incorrectly.
I have a question about the After the Fledge next week.
I made a reservation to stay at Luther College.  With the weather forecasts for next week coming in, looks like it may be a hot one.
I never thought about it until today, but are there air conditioners in the rooms at the college?
It's been a lot of years since I lived in a dorm, and I know way back then there were never any air conditioners where I lived.
Thank you.  Julie

Hiya Julie,

You pose a good question!  I'm told that there is air conditioning, but that it is not all that effective, lol.  A mod who has stayed there in the past told me that if you bring a small fan(say 6-8 inches in diameter), the rooms are much more comfortable...Hope that helps!

I'm getting so excited-can't wait to see you there!!!

rock on,

Izzy

ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in

JulieB

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 10:45:56 PM »

Thank you Izzy.  Yes, that answers my question. I'll plan on bringing a couple little fans.
I'm so looking forward to next weekend.  See you there!
JulieB.

smileawhile

• ChatMods
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »

Iverburl, I'd like to add my belated thanks for all your great info re: things to do around Decorah. What fun! And thanks for everyone else's additional tips!

iverburl

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »

Thanks to Jonelle Davidson for reminding us of the International Owl Center in Houston MN as another worthwhile stop. Not far from Decorah, and right on the way to Wabasha.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »

Here is what the mostly official schedule is going to look like...

Welcome to After The Fledge 2019!

All Weekend
Decorah Fish Hatchery Tour: Times to be determined. If you arrive at the hatchery early, you
can enjoy coffee and pastry from the Friends of the Hatchery! Give them a donation if you can!
Thursday, July 18

5PM - 7:30PM: Meet and Greet at the Fish Hatchery. Join us for Mabe's pizza, salad, cookies,
and soft drinks, meet everyone, pay for registration and Saturday's dinner, get your dinner ticket
and name tag, register for the paddling trip, and start the weekend! BYOB allowed.

Friday, July 19
Early: Paddling Trip. If you signed up for the paddling trip, meet us at the Hatchery between
6:00 and 6:45 AM or at Off The Driftless Outfitters at 7:30 AM. They accept cash and local
checks. We recommend bringing bug spray, sunscreen, clothes that can get muddy, a carrier
for belongings and trash, and a ziplock freezer-quality bag for your phone or camera.

9:00ish AM: Pay It Forward at the Hatchery. We'll start with weeding and work on recycling
containers later in the day. Everyone is welcome to help us Pay It Forward for the hatchery and
for our eagles!

2:00 PM: Owl pellet dissection. We'll meet under the tent at the Hatchery to dissect owl
pellets and learn what owls eat!

Saturday, June 20

9:00 AM: Biking. Meet at Decorah Bike Rentals at 9:00 AM with a plan to be on the trail by
9:30 AM and back by 11:00 AM. We?ll be riding the flat portion that goes from Decorah Bike
Rentals to the hatchery and back, which is about 4-5 mi. each way.  Glogdog and
Amy will ride with you.

1:30 PM: Presentations at Luther College, Valders Hall of Science. RRP Director John Howe will
present on the year, followed by a screening of "The Secret Life of Owls", with guest visitors
Laura Johnson and Great Horned Owl Robbie, and a visit from Ambassador Decorah.

6:00 PM: Dinner at the Hatchery. A delicious meal and entertainment guaranteed! Put on your thinking caps for our after dinner eagley quiz!!

Sunday, June 21

12:30 PM: Mississippi River Cruise. Capacity limited to 49 people. The Maiden Voyage departs
from the marina in Marquette, IA, about an hour's drive from Decorah. The cruise takes about
two hours and costs an additional $20 per person. Music and birding provided by John Stravers
and Sophia Landis.

We will have ice, water and bug spray(both Bug Soother and some stronger stuff) available at the hatchery if anyone needs it throughout the weekend.  I'm getting really excited, can't wait to see y'all!!!

~Izzy  8)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:29:08 PM by izzysamlikeseagles »

iverburl

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2019, 05:17:40 PM »

Here is a particularly nice presentation of Decorah. It includes many of my suggestions ... but pictures!

http://www.midwestliving.com/travel/iowa/decorah/decorah-iowa-a-mountain-town-without-mountains/

NWargo01

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2019, 12:34:05 AM »

Izzy, your excitement is contagious!  ;D

Counting down the days...
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:58 AM »

Izzy, your excitement is contagious!  ;D

Counting down the days...

They are counting down quickly now!!! ;D ;D Clearly the excitement is keeping me up at night, lol!

I texted both Mom and DM2, hopefully they are on board! You just can't read their texts -those talons make it so tricky for them;)  Their appearance this weekend was a good sign!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up