Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: After the Fledge 2019  (Read 14049 times)

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
  • Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
Re: After the Fledge 2019
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »

From SmokeyinHarlem:

This might help others at ATF in need of a ride. Monday - Friday anybody may use Northeast Iowa Community Action Corp - Transit services from 7am - 5pm for just $2/ride to go anywhere within city limits. This service is open to anybody for any purpose. Transit buses are handicapped accessible. 866.382.4259

thanks Smokey!
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html

NWargo01

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »

For those of you interested or planning on doing the Bike ride on beautiful Trout Run Trail at After The Fledge, here's a little information.  It is scheduled for Saturday morning, July 20.  We'll meet at Decorah Bicycles when they open at 9:00 AM.  The entire trail is an 11-mile loop around the Decorah area (Map attached).  We'll be doing the easier half which is about 4.5 miles long, one way.  There is one big hill and 1 or 2 smaller ones along the mostly flat parts, so I encourage all to get some bike riding in to get leg muscles in shape.  Our half-way point is the Hatchery were we'll stop and take a break before returning back to the Decorah Bike shop. So all total it's about a 9-mile bike trip.  The trail runs right past N2B too.  Here's a "Handlebar view" video to enjoy.  More details to come.  My fellow Moderator, Gardengirl, and I look forward to seeing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eG0XGs7Nrw

I did the bike ride last year and don't remember any architectural statues or the archway shown in the video.  That must be on the other half of the trail that we don't do.  Maybe one year they'll do the entire trail, or if feasible, do the half we don't currently do.  I'll be doing it again this year, but will probably rent a hybrid bike this time due to back issues.  Do I need to let anyone know in advance that I'll need a hybrid?  I didn't know if they only have so many available.  I know when I inquired last year they said they don't reserve bikes, but I don't know if that applies to the hybrids also.

Hope to see you this year Glog!  I think last year you couldn't make the bide ride if I'm remembering correctly. 
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

iverburl

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »

I did the bike ride last year and don't remember any architectural statues or the archway shown in the video.  That must be on the other half of the trail that we don't do.  Maybe one year they'll do the entire trail, or if feasible, do the half we don't currently do.  I'll be doing it again this year, but will probably rent a hybrid bike this time due to back issues.  Do I need to let anyone know in advance that I'll need a hybrid?  I didn't know if they only have so many available.  I know when I inquired last year they said they don't reserve bikes, but I don't know if that applies to the hybrids also.

Hope to see you this year Glog!  I think last year you couldn't make the bide ride if I'm remembering correctly.
I'll step in for glog and gg, cuz I'm not sure how familiar they are with the entire trail.

The ride has always passed beneath that arch, which depicts a leaping trout. It is right where the trail goes beneath the highway bridges, where Trout Run from the hatchery meets the river. It is across the stream from the big car lot at the hatchery turn. You can see it at the edge of the woods from the highway.

I didn't rewatch the video, but I believe it shows the statue called Walking With Birds. It is not on a portion the AtF ride visited last year, but it is very close. Where we first get on the trail, go the other direction, away from town and bridge. This section, called the Dug Road Trail, is perhaps the prettiest as it hovers right above the river. It is very popular for walkers with dogs and children. (We paddled right under it in some of our previous river trips.) It is all level until it reaches the spot you might have seen where it cuts through the hill to the highway near the city campground and the new hotel. Then from the highway cut to the hatchery are major hills ... probably too much for the generic AtF ride. I recommend anyone who is not pooped after their AtF ride continue upriver a mile or so before returning bikes.
-Scott
Changing times require unchanging principles.

NWargo01

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »

I'll step in for glog and gg, cuz I'm not sure how familiar they are with the entire trail.

The ride has always passed beneath that arch, which depicts a leaping trout. It is right where the trail goes beneath the highway bridges, where Trout Run from the hatchery meets the river. It is across the stream from the big car lot at the hatchery turn. You can see it at the edge of the woods from the highway.

I didn't rewatch the video, but I believe it shows the statue called Walking With Birds. It is not on a portion the AtF ride visited last year, but it is very close. Where we first get on the trail, go the other direction, away from town and bridge. This section, called the Dug Road Trail, is perhaps the prettiest as it hovers right above the river. It is very popular for walkers with dogs and children. (We paddled right under it in some of our previous river trips.) It is all level until it reaches the spot you might have seen where it cuts through the hill to the highway near the city campground and the new hotel. Then from the highway cut to the hatchery are major hills ... probably too much for the generic AtF ride. I recommend anyone who is not pooped after their AtF ride continue upriver a mile or so before returning bikes.
-Scott

Thanks Scott!  Were you one of the people who helped me figure out how to shift on the small hill last year?  About killed me until you guys showed me the right way to do it. LOL  I'll pay more attention to the scenery this time.  I think I was so focused on keeping up with everyone last year that I didn't look around as much as I should have.  But I will this year!
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

iverburl

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 11:57:10 PM »

Perhaps ... I don't recall. I stepped in to help when both glogdog and gardengirl could not attend.

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »

Iverburl has been a lifesaver more than once. Thank you!

NWargo - Yes, I was not able to attend last year's event but plan on it next month. We always do the easier half of Trout Run Trail for our After The Fledge Bike Ride.  The archway trout sculpture is something we go through.  The other statues are on the harder, more difficult half that we don't do.  We get on Trout Run Trail right behind Decorah Bicycles.  If you go left, that's the harder route.  We'll be turning right onto the trail.  By harder I mean switchback turns and more hills.  You need to be a pretty avid bicyclist to do the harder one.  They do not allow reservations of any bikes but you can call and explain what you're needing.  That's why we get there at 9:00 AM when the door opens on Saturday.  One thing I wanted to add is that it's almost always windy in Decorah and riding a bike against the wind can add more challenges so it's good to do some bike riding ahead of time.  Here's their webpage for more information.

https://www.decorahbicycles.com/articles/rentals-pg235.htm.

glogdog

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
Re: After the Fledge 2019 - bike ride
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »

Hi Glo - although Mark and I can't ride the bike trip this year, (both of us have knees that just won't do it anymore) we can be there to help everyone get started, make sure they know how to shift, etc. if you need us.  Just let us know and we'll be there before the bike shop opens.
Can't wait for the fun!
Mark & Brenda (tulsa and mr. tulsa)
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »

NWargo - Yes, I was not able to attend last year's event but plan on it next month. We always do the easier half of Trout Run Trail for our After The Fledge Bike Ride.  The archway trout sculpture is something we go through.  The other statues are on the harder, more difficult half that we don't do.  We get on Trout Run Trail right behind Decorah Bicycles.  If you go left, that's the harder route.  We'll be turning right onto the trail.  By harder I mean switchback turns and more hills.  You need to be a pretty avid bicyclist to do the harder one.  They do not allow reservations of any bikes but you can call and explain what you're needing.  That's why we get there at 9:00 AM when the door opens on Saturday.  One thing I wanted to add is that it's almost always windy in Decorah and riding a bike against the wind can add more challenges so it's good to do some bike riding ahead of time.  Here's their webpage for more information.

Just an idea, if you want to do the more difficult part of the trail, Decorah Bicycles now has some electric-assist bikes that are great, one of our participants last year rented one for the ride and ended up buying one! Just something to keep in mind.

iverburl

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 11:47:28 PM »

Here is a trail map.

http://winneshiekwild.com/images/pdfs/troutrun_aug2012.pdf

The ride goes from Mile Zero (which also is Mile Eleven on the map) clockwise up to Mile Five at the hatchery, then backwards on the same path to return.

The archway sculpture is at about Mile 3.2.

The Walking With Birds sculpture is at about Mile 10.7. Everything between the parking at Mile 11 and the parking near Mile 10, and also the extension up past Will Baker Park, is flat. Everything from the switchbacks at Mile 10 back to the hatchery is hills.

By the way, the canoe icon by Will Baker Park is where the paddlers get their boats and finish on Friday.

glogdog

• ChatMods
Re: After the Fledge 2019 - bike ride
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »

Hi Glo - although Mark and I can't ride the bike trip this year, (both of us have knees that just won't do it anymore) we can be there to help everyone get started, make sure they know how to shift, etc. if you need us.  Just let us know and we'll be there before the bike shop opens.
Can't wait for the fun!
Mark & Brenda (tulsa and mr. tulsa)

Appreciate this, tul, of you and Mark to offer assistance.  I'll get a "head count" from Izzy as we get closer.  Also thanks for mentioning the electric bike.  I will call to see how many they have of those. 
glogdog

glogdog

• ChatMods
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

Here is a trail map.

http://winneshiekwild.com/images/pdfs/troutrun_aug2012.pdf

The ride goes from Mile Zero (which also is Mile Eleven on the map) clockwise up to Mile Five at the hatchery, then backwards on the same path to return.

The archway sculpture is at about Mile 3.2.

The Walking With Birds sculpture is at about Mile 10.7. Everything between the parking at Mile 11 and the parking near Mile 10, and also the extension up past Will Baker Park, is flat. Everything from the switchbacks at Mile 10 back to the hatchery is hills.

By the way, the canoe icon by Will Baker Park is where the paddlers get their boats and finish on Friday.

Thanks, Scott, for all of this information.  What I love about our bike ride is we stop at the hatchery for a nice break and to cool off.  Bottled ice water will be provided too.
glogdog

NWargo01

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

Just an idea, if you want to do the more difficult part of the trail, Decorah Bicycles now has some electric-assist bikes that are great, one of our participants last year rented one for the ride and ended up buying one! Just something to keep in mind.

Depending on how my back is by then I may end up renting the hybrid this time.  Either way I'm doing the ride again.  Thanks for the tip!

NWargo01

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »

Will there be an itinerary listed showing the times of the Hatchery tour, Luther College presentation, Saturday dinner, etc.? 

glogdog

• ChatMods
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 06:17:30 PM »

NWargo - The registration form has information about the Luther College Presentation.  It's scheduled for Saturday, July 20, and begins at 1:30 PM.  The Decorah Fish Hatchery Tour times were "yet to be determined" when the registration form was sent out.  I'm sure Izzy will let us know.  The Saturday night dinner time was not posted either yet.  We'll find out.  Seems like in the past it started around 6:00 PM.  :)   

I called Decorah Bicycles today and they have about 20 Electric-assist bikes. They come in various sizes to match the person.  He also said it's a great bike to use on the more difficult part too. 
glogdog

izzysamlikeseagles

• ChatMods
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »

Will there be an itinerary listed showing the times of the Hatchery tour, Luther College presentation, Saturday dinner, etc.?

Hiya NW,

I will have a final itinerary out soon, but here is how it roughly breaks down.

There will be several Hatchery tours throughout the weekend as Brian and the staff have time, so I don't have specific times just yet.  As Glo said, the presentations begin at 1:30 at Luther College, and dinner will start at 6pm that evening.  The Mississippi River Cruise on Sunday sets sail at 12:30pm.  As for the owl pellet demonstration, and the start of the pay it forward project, those times will be set really soon, and I'll have a full schedule not only here, but a hard copy printed out for all once you get to the hatchery.

Hope this helps!

~Izzy 8)
ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering.  There is a crack in everything-that's how the light gets in