Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: After the Fledge 2019 paddling trip  (Read 1725 times)

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
  • Spread the Word: Lead-free hunting and fishing
Re: After the Fledge 2019 paddling trip
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »

Hi all potential After the Fledge canoe/kayakers - if you are interested in doing this really fun trip, but have questions about any aspect of it, be sure to post them here for us.  We would love to have more of you join us - it's a beautiful ride and we always see multiple bald eagles (all ages), deer, lots of different waterfowl, hawks, beautiful songbirds. We can give you more info or answer any questions you have - just post a reply on this thread.  Thanks!

Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/get_the_lead_out/index.html

iverburl

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »

MNLindabird (with Jheli the Toller!), teamcarnes and I are set as a three-paddler two-boat tag team by way of inquiries made on this thread. See how well that worked? We encourage you to explore possibilities here.
Changing times require unchanging principles.

SRC

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 05:23:09 PM »

MNLindaBird,

I would be happy to share a canoe with your Toller.  I'm not a canoeing expert, but I've done it a few times.  I'll be at the Meet and Greet on Thursday.  We'll get acquainted!

But it looks like you may already have a team.  I'm having a bit of trouble following the thread with all the quotes.  Let me know if you still need a canoe partner.

SRC (Shoshanna)

Thanks for the info, iverburl - Looked at the open kayak design, but don't believe we are experienced enough to try that at this time.  It sure is a nice goal to aim for though.  I love to kayak, but the downside before this new info was the inability for the dog to join me.  I'll have to look into this some more.  Almost purchased my own kayak last fall.  Now glad that I didn't I think...

Still hoping to find a canoe partner if possible.  Thank you for the offer of accommodating my Toller (I think you'd enjoy her company); but if I were in a separate kayak close by, I'm not quite certain what she might think about that - or potentially act upon ;)  That might be advanced level canoe training for us  8)

As more ATF participants show interest in paddling, maybe something will work out for partnering. Have never heard of a single canoe either.  Sounds interesting.  Is that shorter than a regular/double canoe?  Would that be a better size for the dog and me?  I'm not a Facebook member, so will get in touch with Off the Driftless in a different fashion for more info.   

MNLindaBird

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 08:50:09 PM »

Shoshanna - Just got back into town to see your message from Friday.  Yes, am set with a team at this time. 

I hope there are other unpartnered people in our ATF group with interest in this canoe/kayak outing who will soon start thinking seriously about joining in for the paddling fun.

Have you ever kayaked, Shoshanna?  Assume rental company has some beginner styles (what I use) available.  That might be a fun option to get you on the river.  My understanding is that there will be a number of people kayaking.

Think you will love the ATF gathering and events.  Will look for you at the Meet & Greet :)

iverburl

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 12:02:04 AM »

Assume rental company has some beginner styles (what I use) available.  That might be a fun option to get you on the river.  My understanding is that there will be a number of people kayaking.

Off the Driftless does indeed have a variety of boats, including both sit-on-top and sit-inside kayaks of various lengths and types. On our past trips the majority of paddlers have opted for kayaks with only a few in canoes.

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »

If you're planning to join us for the paddling trip during the After the Fledge event, or if you're thinking about it, check out the information at this link to the Off the Driftless (our river operator) which includes the list of boats they have available for rent, and an important list of things to bring with you on your trip down the river:

https://offthedriftless.com/tubes-canoes-kayaks/

What to bring:
Water
Sunscreen
River shoes
Something to eat
A reliable receptacle for belongings and refuse
Please do not bring glass on the river!
Cash, cards and local checks are accepted
Please join us in our campaign to GET THE LEAD OUT. Together we can make the world a safer place for Bald Eagles and all wild life. We need you, THEY need you!

iverburl

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »

Thanks TD!
What to bring:
To this list, I would add ...

Non-DEET bug spray for gnats and deerflies. We are fond of Buggins Vanilla Mint and Rose, available in Decorah at Oneota Coop downtown. Others like Bug Soother but all our grocery stores are constantly sold out.

River clothing , not only shoes. On this river, that means stuff that can get wet AND MUDDY.

Camera in a ziplock freezer-quality bag. Photo opportunity guaranteed after the first mile!

I like wearing those cheap elastic work gloves with a coating on the palms and fingers. I usually have some extras to lend.

A towel. Anyone who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where the towel is is clearly one to be reckoned with.

Cash, cards and local checks are accepted
As of this season, cards are no longer accepted. (They do not keep up with their website. They seem to like their Facebook page.).They were taking a bath on fees when a dozen innertubers would each charge separately.

tulsaducati

• ChatMods
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »

Thanks Scott for the correction on the credit cards!

iverburl

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »

Add to the list of supplies:
Cord - strap to save your eyeglasses - sunglasses ... ... ... but I have extras to lend in the truck if you forget.

iverburl

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »

Paddling Scouting Report by Team Iver&Burl

We got on the river today for a preview. The water is at ideal paddling depth and should remain so for AtF. There are no downright scary hazards, despite the fact that there have been many new treefalls with the extensive high water this spring.

Based on our trip today, here is an estimate of AtF timing.

7:30 arrive at Off the Driftless. (Park across the road, if possible, please.)
8:00 or sooner head upriver.
8:30 or sooner, start paddling.
9:30-9:45 "Beach" rest break
11:00 Finished at Off the Driftless

VITAL TIMING AND PLANNING DETAIL:
There is no toilet at Off the Driftless or at Will Baker Park across the road, but there are toilets around the corner at the campground and perhaps satellites the same distance the other way at the soccer fields.
There is no toilet where we get on the river or along the way.
The "beach" where we will rest is expansive with a variety of vegetation heights and thicknesses, and only one small wild parsnip at the edge that I will remove. (should have today.)

SRC

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »

Sorry I won't be able to come on the paddling trip this year, although I had planned to.  I sprained my ankle and foot pretty bad and I don't think I'll be able to get in and out of a canoe or kayak, nor walk on the river bottom if I end up in the water. 

I'll see you all at the Meet and Greet and some of the other "tamer" events. 

MNLindaBird

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Would like to say a BIG Thank You to iverburl for coordinating a wonderful outing on the IA river for our large group this morning  :-*  He even managed to place a successful order for some perfect weather ;)  It was a great time and an enjoyably relaxing river paddle.  I suspect some of us are noticing rosy cheeks and arms from all the sunshine.  And, maybe most importantly, none of us had a bad encounter with the dreaded Wild Parsnip  8)  Thanks, Scott, for taking the time to pull this ATF group activity together for us again this year :-*  I look forward to doing this again next year.  BTW, Jheli the Toller did really well for her first outing, and sure did take a nice snooze (along with me) once we returned to our lodging to cool down.  I'm excited for our next opportunity to paddle together at the lake in September.  See you all at the Hatchery this evening...