Archives > Peregrine Falcons 2022

The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN falcons

<< < (2/13) > >>

pefgirl:

--- Quote from: Nora in IA on April 01, 2017, 01:02:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: AlisonL on September 27, 2016, 05:27:59 PM ---From the Midwest Peregrine Society:

"Aurora" b/g *Y/*X, 2008 fledge from the renowned Mayo clinic in Rochester, MN is now nesting at Washington University Medical School in St. Louis. From what we hear, she is quite the force to be dealt with and quite defensive. From natal to nesting territory, she flew ~450 miles south. This is another example of why peregrine falcons are "wandering falcons".

--- End quote ---

I wonder if some of the falcons are wandering a bit further looking for a place of their own with more of them around now.  She DOES look like a force to be reckonned with.   :D

--- End quote ---

Nora-I wouldn't necessarily believe that, but rather that it has something to do with genetics (some of the subspecies are more migratory than others) and individuality than "lack of suitable territory".  There are MANY cliffs and other suitable sites between Rochester and St. Louis that are appropriate/suitable for falcons to nest.

pefgirl:
FYI- we had the second egg arrive Sunday late afternoon, and should expect #3 to arrive Tuesday/early Wednesday. 

pefgirl:
Egg number 3 arrived this early afternoon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pefgirl:
I was at the site this morning and confirmed that it appears we are staying at 3 eggs for the season.  Hatch should happen ~ May 7th.

T40cfr403:
Mayo Clinic Peregrine Falcon Program 30th Anniversary Event

https://www.downtownrochestermn.com/do/mayo-clinic-peregrine-falcon-program-30th-anniversary-event

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version