Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mn DNR Nongame wildlife, Peregrine Falcon, Bremer Bank Building, St.Paul, Mn.  (Read 26133 times)

MpMom

• D1 in all of her beauty. Love 12,14,18,4,25 & 35

http://www.webcams.dnr.state.mn.us/falcon/

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources' Nongame Wildlife Program is broadcasting a Web streaming video of peregrine falcons nesting on the top of the Bremer Bank Building in downtown St. Paul. With the help of the Town Square merchants as well as the Midwest Peregrine Society, The Nongame Program is able to provide this unique opportunity to watch peregrines raise their young in an urban setting.

In 1987, a nesting box was placed on the east side of the building and was first used by a pair of falcons in 1988. Several pairs of falcons have chosen this site as their home, producing 65 chicks through 2012. Last year was the 9th year that the pair "Jill" and "Sota" had occupied the box. Sota hatched in 1994 and had been nesting since 1998. Despite missing two toes on each foot (probably due to frostbite), and being 17 years old, Sota had been able to provide enough food for himself, all of his offspring and his mate during incubation and early brooding of chicks. Unfortunately, Sota has not been seen this season. Jill has returned and has a new mate and they have begun laying eggs. After about a 35-day incubation period, the chicks should hatch close to Memorial Day weekend.

Does anyone know when the cam will start. Just me waiting. :-\
Will remember & love you Dad Decorah.

Caution: Exposure to the Son Prevents Burning..
From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

shep

• NEWS and analysis

Ah good - I can post
fooled around with login til I can get the - REPLY - button.
Amy knows
just keep logging in
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 03:12:51 PM by shep »
ACCEPT TRUTH even when you dont like it
https://gab.com/ShepQ

jannice

CAM IS LIVE NOW!!!!!!

MpMom

Hey everyone! Yep it is on now ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:11:45 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.
From T40~"I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you. And then I realized...you spent the rest of your life with me."

MpMom

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:15:02 PM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

From the DNR.

The peregrine cam in downtown St. Paul is new, has a new view and is now live and on line!  The pair is already incubating 4 eggs, the first of which was laid on April 4th.  Incubation is just under six weeks.  The new camera angle is just about eye- level to the birds and should prove to be close-up for bird observation and chick feeding/rearing. 

The male at this location is the same male as last year, "Peter", a three year old and the female is "Arcadia", also three years old.    Jill, the long-time female occupant of this box, unfortunately died a few months ago at the Raptor Center of Minnesota.  Her death was likely a result of the two year old injury she had on her beak.

From a sign in Missouri.

pefgirl

Just to clarify things, Jill the nesting female for many years actually was euthanized due to an old broken leg injury which could not be repaired.

Also, hatch should happen this thursday/friday.

jannice

Just to clarify things, Jill the nesting female for many years actually was euthanized due to an old broken leg injury which could not be repaired.

Also, hatch should happen this thursday/friday.
Thanks pefgirl, glad to see you around. I've been reading that you have been pretty busy lately, & its just starting for you. Take care and thanks for all you great work.

MpMom

Thanks Pefgirl! They have the wrong info on their site about Jill :-\

From a sign in Missouri.

pefgirl

We had hatch overnight/early am.  2 chicks observed

MpMom

From a sign in Missouri.

jannice

Egg shells here
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:56:01 AM by jannice »

pefgirl

There were still 2 chicks, 2 eggs as of noon.  I'm making a site visit at 5 pm today, anD will hopefully have a picture to share.

MpMom

I did see 2 just need to get a pic ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:56:30 AM by MpMom »

From a sign in Missouri.

MpMom

From a sign in Missouri.