Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602513 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25890 on: November 28, 2022, 03:52:22 AM »

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes.  I had a lovely day.  I'm sorry that I didn't get in here sooner.  I will do better tomorrow.
  81 seems like a good number.  When I was young, I never imagined that I would make it this far.  😊
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #25891 on: November 28, 2022, 05:31:15 AM »

hi you guys i googled about that fisher on the update General Description. Fisher are cat-like weasels, medium-sized carnivores related to marten and mink, with a general weasel shape but lacking the extreme elongation of the weasels. Their tail is about one third of total body length. They are sexually dimorphic and males are larger than females.

Interactions Between Ravens and with Deer - UPDATE November 27, 2022

Male raven preens female
Ravens and deer
Ravens and deer
Ravens and deer
Ravens and deer
The day started with a pair of ravens doing some of the things that probably help them stay mated for life. The larger male was grooming his mate who has her head bowed. Then a deer came near and watched them a bit but the ravens were not disturbed. The male kept grooming her. The deer turned away. The ravens stayed in place and continued grooming staying in the same place as before but now with the female doing the grooming as the male bowed his head.Fisher from 2013
Fisher from 2013

Also, there was a misidentification on the mink sighting. I got the videos, and it is a male fisher, an animal I haven’t seen around here even longer than since I’ve seen a mink. This morning, the fisher walked across the yard for a picture, but by the time I got a card in my camera it was gone. It just happened to walk within a few feet of where I took the fisher picture that is shown here nine years ago.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25892 on: November 28, 2022, 05:49:06 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here 36 in iceland and 33 and snow tonight in kyiv little fisher is pretty cute and cool ravens grooming each other. Pretty deer too i doubt deer picks on anyone.

hi neva! i think that too never make it to that age my mom thought she would live to be 100 and she did not  :( so you just never know just live your life best you can. happy you had a good birthday!keep having them neva! :)

hi joho i have so many depending on me hard to go get a knee replaced i mean surgery and i do not have very good luck picking a doctor only so many to pick from and how long till i am up walking again a day? i do not think it will get better on its own and i am tired of pain and not being to get around very well at all. maybe you could come here do my chores and i will come out there use your doctor lol no cant do that. i got to see the last 7 minutes of the chiefs game yesterday it was a good 7 minutes had chores and out in the barn. got to leave soon pickup groceries and some christmas stuff for my niece jeanne and her cats.

GB Ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5447DB?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25893 on: November 28, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »

5:42 on the lighthouse.  Beautiful sunrise on the GSB Cam. Thanks to the operator who pans around for us.  What a good cam this is.  I love the wild life and all the Tom Sawyer islands they show us, and the falcon family images too of course. 
About the knee.  Took me a few days to get permission to drive after knee Cal.  I was up and walking the next day, but because I lived alone they kept me at the rehab place a while. I could take the stairs up to the outpatient rehab room after about a week I think. Took some courage to try the stairs after fifteen years of avoiding them. It was a mistake for me to put it off so many years.  I missed a lot. Joan got a couple of pain free months out of a cortisone shot.  Was short benefit due to her undiagnosed RA inflammation. 
An older friend of ours, 86, is on her second year of benefit from a cortisone injection.  She walks about a mile in the nice weather, which she could not do before.  Do not know what is next for her, but two years is a lot of mobility from one injection.  Maybe you could chase the mule across the meadow with only a cane.  I still use a stout walking stick due to my old man unsteady gait.  Pain is gone, but I am still trippity in the woods and fields. My walker is not good off road. LOL
Well all I can think of right now is that life at our age is hard, but the alternative is not good.  So keep on keeping on.
GB U EV1 and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25894 on: November 28, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »

hi joho thanks maybe that shot! cant hurt right i could go see dr who straighten out my foot i can do way more rugged terrain with my moms little walker than that cane you should see that little walker looks like my four wheeler  :) i cant even remember being able to walk using a cane would be good too no pain i went in harps to day before walmart pock up and talked to gina she said they love love coffee so i bought little bags of fancy coffee and big dessert tray of stuff everyone really liked that  :) you were so brave to go get all your surgeries and rehab so happy it turned out good!

hi alice where are you?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #25895 on: November 28, 2022, 05:15:42 PM »

Cape Blanco ... 27:34     73°  (2:45 pm)    Partly cloudy, sunny, and breezy.  Another good day.  This is the time of year when you savor this weather, compared to the more intense heat of summer.

Hello everyone ...  I hope that your day is going as you were hoping it would.

Lori and Paulie - thank you for the birthday wishes.  Lori, that's one cute puppy on that post.

Cal -   One of my daughters, Michelle, gets cortisone shots every so often and they do seem to be helping.  It has been a long while between shots.  She has Plantar Fasciitis in one foot.  It might be worth looking into. 

Joho -  I have an exercise machine in my front room, and the point of that originally was/is that I would be aware of it and not forget to use it.  (years ago) Well ... maybe I could write all that with permanent marker across the back of my hand.  The machine is called a Gazelle.  A few years ago, there were infomercials on TV/cable with a guy with a long blond ponytail and a baseball cap that was demonstrating and selling this machine.  I paid quite a lot for it, and it is a very good, well constructed, no impact thing that even an elder person can use, but, there it sits.    I really have to get with the program, as they say... and as you say, 'Keep on moving on' ... no kidding.

(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25896 on: November 29, 2022, 05:27:41 AM »

Sharon's Update, Visitors to the WRI and Scientific Papers - UPDATE November 28, 2022

Fisher from 11-27-22
Fisher from 11-10-20
Fisher from 11-10-20

Senior Bear Keeper Sharon Herrell wrote one last North American Bear Center Bear News. You can read it by clicking here: https://bear.org/bear-news-november-26-2022

Out the window here at the WRI, I took a picture of the fisher last night in the dark and brightened it up on the computer—not the best but it gives an idea. Then I found a picture from November of 2020 that Peggy took of, I think, a different one at the window that I like.Red-bellied woodpecker
Red-bellied woodpecker

This morning started out with my best look at the red-bellied woodpecker for awhile. He was at the buffet and looking gorgeous in good light with his striped back and orangey-red crown, trying to hide the fact that he took a peanut but the camera just caught it. This afternoon, as it snowed, a blue jay showed me its whole blue topside and even blinked its nictitating membrane to give a bluish look to its eye. Blue jay
Blue jay
I like the colors that come out in the right light. Now I want to see the fisher in good light for a good ID shot of him.

I say ‘him’ because I sent the nest cam videos of him to the top fisher guy in the world, Roger Powell, who is now retired from being a professor at North Carolina State University and lives only 10 miles away. He said it is a male, and if he says it is a male, it IS a male. Roger was the senior author on our most recent paper comparing behaviors of fed bears here with non-fed bears that Roger studied in North Carolina. CLICK HERE to read the abstract, the full paper will be available soon.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #25897 on: November 29, 2022, 05:46:30 AM »

hi you guys its 47 here falling temp later today 37 in iceland and 31 snowing in kyiv ukraine  51 in the barn fisher is such a cute Boy! woodpecker so pretty i got some of them and jay so pretty i got them too. also at times have a sharpy that likes them too he gets ran off have not seen it for awhile.

hi neva thank you cause my foot that surgery one bothers me too like that whole side has issues. just getting me there and i hate to go see my family doctor if he aint going to give me that shot might as well go all the way to the city see foot surgeon i got cortisone stuff use to give my dog his shots ed taught me wish i could give myself a shot. neva i have an exercise bike in the livingroom just an old time one i use to ride it for an hour in afternoon while watching roy rogers and then another roy rogers show it has been a coat rack for jim for years now. i really dont think i can even get on it now much less peddle it. i do get around all day doing chores animals not going to feed themselves or clean up afterwards last night i saw that big siamese cat eating from the sidewalk eating dry dog food and it likes little debbies fancy cakes those white cakes. i put out extra for it and the possum and raccoons that are not in the barn eating. i bet you love your weather yes intense heat is awful i really this weather.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/28055D5781AA?z=0

calhound

« Reply #25898 on: November 29, 2022, 05:50:43 AM »

i forgot here is a picture of my grocery store Harps people just so nice there

johoward

« Reply #25899 on: November 29, 2022, 08:25:58 AM »

Wow 5:36.  way better than 6:55 average. This is a first for me. Had to go back and see if I misread them.   LOL
Got up late and eyes are still watering.
Cereal, pills, and coffee on board.
44 degrees and cloudy here.  So I would say a nice morning for November 29th. Lots of nice lights in the neighborhood.  Debbie's wreath looks good on my garage light.  As she said it would.
 Lorrie sent over a big bowl of cabbage and noodles with kielbasa last night.  So I had a big dinner, and sugar is up to 138 this morning.  Will walk it off later.
Did get to see Deb, Boss and Bash for a few minutes yesterday.  They are doin very well.  All were glad to see me.  Boss rushed the door when I came in.  He hit the big rug in the hallway and skidded it right out the door.  Was funny to me but not to Debbie. She is trying to teach him to sit on the couch until I approach him for greetings.  He is learning to be obedient and  subdue his instincts. Since he missed my legs and wanted a pet more than he wanted to run off it ended OK.  She says he goes on alert as soon as she tells him I am coming.  He goes to his place on the couch and stares at the front door.  I think this adds to his excitement.  I love how he brings me his toys and his blanket.  He just shows them to me then takes them back to his bed in the corner.  Once in a while he will let me throw one for him to retrieve.  He does this I think because he knows it is what I want.  One or two throws and he puts it back in his bed.  Then he comes to sit as close to my leg as he can.  He likes me.
Bash is getting to like me a little more each time I visit him.  He is so alert.  He sees everything, and what he is not familiar with he studies.  Like my face and especially my white beard.
Life is good for us.  Hope you are all well too.
GBU EV1 and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #25900 on: November 29, 2022, 05:04:29 PM »

Panama Bridge ...  31:16     66°  (4:04 pm)  Clear and sunny, and a bit of a breeze.  It's a thoroughly nice day.

I hope that all is well with everyone.

Joho ... That is so funny, I can just see Boss sliding on the rug and out the door.  How old is he?  He sounds very much still a puppy.  When I got up, I came out of my room and headed down the hall towards the dining area, and Harlow jumped up and ran to greet me.  She flew through the air and hit me in the stomach.  I almost toppled over.  Just what I need, but she is just greeting G-ma and doesn't know all the rules yet.  She's five months old, glad I didn't take that hit when she's full grown.

Cal ...  Harp's looks like a really nice little store.  My daughter does the food shopping these day, and usually goes to either a Kroger's store (Fry's) or a Walmart Super store.  When my kids were little I went to a smaller neighborhood store, owned by a family that we got to know.  It was nice.

That was the reason I put my exercise machine out in the front room, so that I could watch something on TV and time it that way and give me something else to think about while doing that. 

My friend that lives in Des Moines lost her daughter yesterday from cancer.  My friend is 85.  Her daughter was a special-needs teacher.  No one wants to outlive their child.
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25901 on: November 29, 2022, 05:50:33 PM »

hi neva dogs knock  downs are hard at times i know she will settle down gma im so sorry about your friend
 :( my mom use to shop kroger harps is employee owned. when i was a kid went to our little neighborhood family grocery store weaver and son it had wooden floor and next to it new rx drug store it was great! icecream soda fountain tons of penny candy had ac brand new across the street little cafe me and my friend sherry would get big red basket of home made fries for a quarter! good i walked or rode my horse or bike every where burn off fries candy icecream good old days. yes neva exercise watch tv your right its the way too go. roy rogers

hi joho boss is such a good boy loves his gpa! he is an excitable boy. so today i took one of pennys predisone and it made me feel better  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #25902 on: November 30, 2022, 05:39:41 AM »

hi you guys its 22 here real feel 15 36 in iceland 31 and cloudy in kyiv 51 in the barn

GB Ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A5055D5A53CE?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25903 on: November 30, 2022, 06:20:18 AM »

8:05  Good morning.  Nice here,50 degrees at 7:11, but rain coming soon.
Need some things.  So I will go out to Meijer's and Drugmart, my favorite.  Also to Sam's for gas.  Not sure what else I will do today.  Once I finish my daily cam crawl ( thanks RRP), and puzzle ( thanks Cal) and try to answer your messages from yesterday (thanks EV1) I just go to the kitchen and start cleaning or dressing for the day or whatever. Never really know what is next, but it will include some kind of exercise like walking or biking. 
So now I will say cul ev1.  GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #25904 on: November 30, 2022, 06:13:13 PM »

Fish Four ...  31:46    71°  (5:12 pm)   Clear and sunny.  No wind.   It's a nice day.

I hope all is going well with all of you.

Hi Joho.  I hope you found somewhere interesting to go.  I would love to have gone out to my favorite place in the desert today ... or nearly any day.  It is great weather for it.  You pack a lunch, bring a camera and even a good book, and bird-watch.  And all you can hear is wind if there is any, birds - there are plenty and occasionally hikers calling out to each other.  Me (and Larry) would be sitting at a Ramada (covered picnic table)  Week days, not crowded).  It's a lovely way to spend part of a day.

Hi Cal.   That sounds nice that Harps is an employee owned store.  What a neat idea!  I bet I couldn't find one of those here.  Maybe that is why they're so nice, they are not dealing with Corporate attitudes, and they take their time to know their customers as individual people.  The Pharmacy that we go to is at the grocery store and it is part of the Kroger's chain.  They are good people, but not like small and personal. 

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:15:00 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)