Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 601930 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25845 on: November 21, 2022, 05:18:15 AM »

Beavers, Blue Jays, and Beauty - UPDATE November 20, 2022

Blue Jays
It looks like the beavers are locked in for the winter. It’s been cold—2° F last night. Just four days ago, one was up on thin ice eating something near the lodge. Beaver lodge
Beaver lodge
There was a bit of open water nearby and a path up the lodge. They were still sealing it with mud for the winter.

Now the bit of open water is frozen and the ice is getting thicker. They are done mudding. I suspect that with the lodge insulated with mud and snow that the temperature will stay within a few degrees of freezing, heated by their body heat and the open water of their inside entrance.

Out the window, blue jays are hungry and loving raw peanuts and they show different faces. I liked the look on the face of the blue jay cocking its head. I liked seeing two of them sharing a branch so closely as they arrived to compete for peanuts. But a couple of them are extra competitive and go around spreading their tails and making scary faces at competitors. The bird with the open beak and spread tail was scary enough that the bird with spread wings is taking flight.

Blue Jay looking nice
Blue Jay looking nice
Blue Jay looking scary
Blue Jay looking scary
Grackle
Grackle
Blue jays are beautiful, especially when bright sun makes their blue extra brilliant; but grackles that look blackish in normal light can suddenly light up in an array of iridescent colors when the sun turns bright as happened today around 3 PM. I guess it’s a matter of opinion which bird is prettier.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25846 on: November 21, 2022, 05:33:28 AM »

hi you guys its 33 here clear 40 rain snow in iceland and 51 in the barn. shut up girls shut up beavers got done just in time they probably knew needed to get that done. sounds nice inside their lodge hope they will be safe for the winter.  doc all birds are so pretty all wildlife is. god gifts.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADDIE ROSE!! our boys were born dec 2007 close to maddies year of birth seems like yesterday they were puppies doesnt it neva. goes way too fast. so funny your vampires are too cute well probably are some cute vampires lots of them on True blood . i heard on the radio out in the barn that musk firing people right and left and this and that and reinstated trumps acct and that kenye west too nc i have never used twitter and i think the world would be fine without it was before.

hi joho! i saw some places got 88 inches of snow!

GB Ukraine gb all animals Gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/46055D59156E?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25847 on: November 21, 2022, 06:40:14 AM »

7:35  25 and feels cold this morning.  Took a ride along the lake front yesterday.  Was nice. I have always loved the lake.  It has always been a big part of my life.
Neva, the technique you described to produce your poem made me feel we, (me, Cal, and others), are in the presence of genius.  It is possible your teacher is jealous.
Winter is really in place now.  Outside is doable, but not as welcoming as other seasons.  I am always impressed with the wild critters and their ability to survive the winter.
So much for my hoping Musk will do good works with Twitter. 
Bye for now.  BTW I got a pic from my niece Susie.  It shows her little dog having some kind of warm beverage with her at the coffee shop after their walk in upstate NY.  So cute.  Coffee now waiting.  So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25848 on: November 21, 2022, 02:21:25 PM »

hi joho! yes neva is a genius sure her teacher was jealous lol  :) you are just so much fun! neva is too! we are a fun bunch.  :) musk is a twit i bet susies pic is so cute what kind of little dog what was it drinking my sister name was susie  we called her susie it was sue ann and she changed it to susan not legally just changed it dad called her bait. it has warmed up here winter is good too dont have to mow dogs like it but real cold they be coming right back in! earlier when i was out in the barn i got my poop bucket went to clean up indys poop maybe ran back there and was trying to cover it up laughing so funny thank you maybe!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25849 on: November 21, 2022, 02:59:31 PM »

maybe is trying to help you get done so you are available.
Darn can't keep my eyes open.  Head is bobbing.  Almost banged into table. GTG bye CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #25850 on: November 21, 2022, 04:03:48 PM »

Maddie Rose's baby picture.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25851 on: November 21, 2022, 05:01:33 PM »

neva what a darlin next month i will post a pic of griz as a puppy with me on my four wheeler

joho! what is wrong! are you just very tired if so go to bed! lay down! call debbie if you are sick please dont be sick gb
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #25852 on: November 21, 2022, 05:31:09 PM »

Young Zebra ...  33:52    72°  (4:11 pm)    Clear and sunny.  No wind.   Nice day.

I hope all is well with you/

Thanks for the kind words, but no genius here, just an artist loving the opportunity to do what she had a chance to do.  If I were a genius, I would have continued ... that's what geniuses do.

Yes Joho, what Cal suggested.

Cal, I'd love to see a baby picture of Griz.

(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #25853 on: November 21, 2022, 05:45:55 PM »

I am OK!  Just that sometimes in the midafternoon.  I need a nap. This is not new.
 That beautiful puppy looks like an Australian shepherd to me, or a red tick blue heeler.  A lot of the Amish farms around here keep them for herding live stock.  Some will herd the children and the fowl too.
GTG cook now.  BYE GBU and GB Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #25854 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:57 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here clear 41 and raining in iceland and 51 dry in the barn.

hi joho! so happy you are not sick needed a nap so i hope you took one. i went to bed an half hour sooner last night was just needing to do that and got up an hour earlier this morning i needed to do that too. wow lots of poop in the barn jim goes out and checks on them cleans up at 9 or 10 i go out well try to at 3;30 but sometimes lots of time the girls out in the yard and i have to wait for them to get back in first. maybe waiting on me everyone waiting on me.

hi neva i was laughing if you was a genius you would of continue well life does that like we need more lives not just the one. i will post that picture i had not seen it in a long time i was pretty heavy in that picture course it was a really long time ago heavier but wow looking alot younger and i could walk do everything back then. i got the one of all three boys when they were little on the frig.

GB Ukraine GB all animals and GB all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D5661EF?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25855 on: November 22, 2022, 07:11:16 AM »

5:55 Good for me.  I think the zebra is a mom.
Hi EV1.  Great sunrise on the GSB Cam this morning.  I look at this cam first thing each morning.  I take a picture of the screen and send it to my niece Susie.  I am teasing her to put this cam on her list.  She sent me a video of her morning.  She is seen throwing stuffed toys for her three dogs to chase in the hallway.  There are also squeaky toys. I guess no one is sleeping.  Her three dogs are her life these days.  She raised a set of twins to adulthood.  A boy and a girl who are both Civil Engineers.  Now she focuses on her three dogs to care for.  All are rescues.  Two are good sized brown and black Lab/Sheppard mixes. The most recent one, the puppy, is a small, big eared, long haired, black and white Pappion/terrier mix.  All three are very good at going through the agility courses. Even the puppy.  She trains them almost every day, and takes them all over the East Coast to competitions. She lives in Saratoga, NY, and has a nice summer home in Long Lake, NY.  She is a retired college professor, and likes to stay active with long hikes and travel.
I love her and her family.  Especially her dogs. LOL
That is enough personal stuff for this morning.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #25856 on: November 22, 2022, 06:08:23 PM »

Wide Zebra ...  41:24       74°  (3:56 pm)  a few little wispy clouds, sunny and no breeze at all.  Another pretty nice day.  I just read that the gestation time for a Zebra is one year.  wow!

I hope that all is well with everyone. 

Hi Joho -  Glad to hear that it was just the need of a nap. 

Maddie was a Queensland Red Heeler, or the official name of the breed is Australian Cattle Dog.  Her red speckled coat is called Red Merle.  She used to herd my Granddaughter around the back yard.  They are wonderful dogs and very smart.  When the breed was being developed,  Dingo was introduced the blood line more than once and it made them much better at herding than just the older styled Scottish Collies bloodlines they started with.  When we got her, I read everything I could get my hands on about that breed.   

Your niece, Susie has had and is having an interesting life.  Dogs can be such great companions.  I've always thought them one of God's greatest gifts.

Hi Cal -   I agree with you - life just happens while you are busy making other plans.  We do need a second go at it it.   
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25857 on: November 23, 2022, 06:02:12 AM »

hi you guys its 39 here clear 42 raining in iceland and 51 in the barn.

hi joho i really liked reading about your susie and her wonderful dogs like neva said one of gods gifts. did you guys pick a place to eat for thanksgiving yet? jims family is doing it sunday now but i am not going i want to stay home watch over the kids and get my chores all done. going will be a strain on me. i will be watching the plaza lights cermony on tv tomorrow night been doing that for as long as i can remember dad use to take us down there later went with friends and saw them with my cousin janice

hi neva well loved reading about maddies history! did you get her for christmas or your birthday or just cause you wanted her well i know you wanted her such a pretty dog and yes so smart dogs are smart most animals are funny herding your grand around lol.

i got to go pick up groceries i saw on the world news earlier shooter at walmart in virginia killed and wounded shoppers found dead what is wrong with this world i said to jim the other day not everyone should be able to have children and he so and not everyone should own a gun.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B0055D5707E6?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25858 on: November 23, 2022, 07:49:19 AM »

7:03. 
Good morning ev1.  We will go to Sugarcreek in Sheffield Ohio I think.  Second choice is Sorrento's Italian Ristorante and Pizzeria.  Also in Sheffield.
 Debbie likes to plan and reserve stuff, and I am glad to let her. She knows I will pay wherever she takes us.  LOL  I am old fashioned that way. 
If you are a woman or a child and your are with me you will not have to pay.  Sometimes with large groups I will ask that others leave a respectable tip.  Joan did not like it when I did this.  She always wanted to treat everyone including our server.  She was an angel.  I miss her so every day, and especially at holiday times like this.
 Mary gave me a photo Frame so she could send me photos over the internet.  I took it to the library and a man named John showed me how to put photos into the frame from my old digital camera.  Now when I turn it on I see many years worth of photos from way way back. Oh the memories they evoke.  Many bring a tear, and there are hundreds.  Kids and dogs and weddings and parties and wild life and vacation trips.  Oh, the nostalgia is strong.  Everyone is so young.  Some are from the sixties I think.
Well thanks for being here.  GTG EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25859 on: November 23, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »

hi joho! what a gift with photo frame do you mean frame turn it on shows different photos? i got one years ago black friday walmart it sits on my hutch with special stuff in it other day i dusted it off turned it on so i turned it off showed dogs and stuff of the past. my dad sleeping with my cats piled on top of him. hard to watch alot. i know of sheffield lake oh lawrence jims best friend passed away had been there. i remember how good you said joan tipped. i feel like you take a party they should get the tip we did i got my groceries lots of stuff when those women come out pulling lots stacked baskets and big sacks of dog food lots of cat food i think omg how nice they load it up takes me an hour to unload it first i went to harps very nice small grocery store everyone so nice to me i like the people there john is the cashier he is i dont know 70 something him and wife loves cats anyway i got my stuff got to checkout it was like 62.00 i was getting my money john said no dont get out your money i said why he pulled a harps gift card said everyone here wanted to pay for your groceries thank you for shopping here and being so nice i said oh i cant do that john said yes you can he put that card in. i was tearing up told him im overwhelmed he said good when i walking out ladies at bakery deli smiling big at me telling me have a great day and thanksgiving i threw them a kiss. then to walmart who did not do that for me. so im thinking what to buy at harps to give all of them for christmas.