Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603363 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25635 on: October 02, 2022, 05:28:01 AM »

hi neva i forgot the other night i had it on the weather channel and saw it was 68 for you!
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #25636 on: October 02, 2022, 06:33:24 AM »

look you guys this is our price choppers jim goes there all the time to buy his meat on his way home from work

KANSAS CITY, Mo.  — An Excelsior Springs Police Department officer as well as a suspect were injured in a shooting Saturday.

Around 5 p.m., two Excelsior Springs officers recognized a suspect — who was known to have a warrant out for allegedly assaulting a law enforcement officer — in a vehicle in the parking lot of Price Chopper near Crown Hill and Kearney roads.

When the officers attempted to stop the suspect, he drove away onto Kearney Road

Both officers then followed the man and attempted to box him in at the traffic light with one vehicle directly in front of the suspect and one vehicle directly behind.

The suspect then shot at the officer in the front, striking their shoulder and wrist. In response, the officer from behind shot at the suspect, striking him in the head, according to a spokesperson for the Clay County Sheriff's Office.

Both the officer and suspect were taken to an area hospital

The officer's injuries are said to be non-life-threatening. The suspect sustained life-threatening injuries.

Investigation of the incident is being conducted by the Clay County Sheriff's Office.

A spokesperson for the sheriff's office says the incident was "really not typical" for the area and "comes as a shock" to the community, noting her understanding of the difficulty the officer's and suspect's families are experiencing.

At this time, initial investigation has found the officers "had to use force to prevent further violence," per the sheriff's office spokesperson.

Further investigation is ongoing.

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #25637 on: October 02, 2022, 06:51:05 PM »

Shoe Pots ...  25:18     91°  (4:32 pm)   Sunny earlier, but a lot of clouds now.  No wind really.  ('Alexa' says no rain for today)  What does she know?

Hi you two.  I hope that your day is going well.  Mine is okay.

Cal, Yes, the nights are getting cooler.  By the time Halloween gets here, it'll be too chilly at night for some costumes w/o a sweat shirt of sweater for Trick or Treaters. 

I'm glad that your Jim was not at that store when all that happened.  You never know what you will walk into.

Hi Joho.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25638 on: October 03, 2022, 05:09:26 AM »

ack and the Corvid Clean-up Crew - UPDATE October 2, 2022

One-eyed Jack
A highlight today was seeing One-Eyed Jack again today. He sat in his spot as I opened Oats n Honey Granola Bars for him and crunched them up to make them easier for him to chew. He had trouble with hard hazelnuts earlier. After about a dozen bars, he said it was time to go and wandered off in no hurry, stopping to eat grass several times. I followed him at a distance because I don’t know how many times he will come back again this year, and I wondered where he was headed. The picture is of him stopped, eating grass and hearing the camera click.

Crow   Crow
With bears absent most of the day, the Corvid Clean-up Crew can swoop in and make sure nothing goes to waste. It consists of about 30 crows, less than a dozen ravens, and a dozen or so blue jays, all members of the family Corvidae. Watching them, they seem so aware. I looked them up on Wikipedia, which said “Corvids display remarkable intelligence for animals of their size, and are among the most intelligent birds thus far studied.[5] Specifically, members of the family have demonstrated self-awareness in mirror tests (European magpies) and tool-making ability (e.g. crows and rooks[6]), skills which until recently were thought to be possessed only by humans and a few other higher mammals. Their total brain-to-body mass ratio is equal to that of non-human great apes and cetaceans, and only slightly lower than that of humans.[7]”

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25639 on: October 03, 2022, 05:29:31 AM »

hi you guys its 50 here and clear 48 and raining in iceland good update nice to see jack and dr rogers had snacks for him. i hope hunters are all gone please get to safety jack. crows so smart the other day when i was heading to the barn i looked up in the pasture and saw like 15 crows. on the ground then cawing and they came up in the air also yesterday i came out of the barn and my tvs were like right there 7 of them i think they were in that dead tree the like and just flew off of it and headed that way.

hi neva that suspect that police officer shot in the head died. he was 64 years old. crazy. police officer he shot has to have more surgery but will be okay they say.  such a dangerous job. it is going to freeze here they say friday night i hope so maybe get rid of pennys skin allergies. it is always cold and rainy alot on halloween here. when i was kid it did rain much little cold but being a kid so what giveme that candy that my dad went thru when we got home.  that price choppers same one that couple years ago jim went in there to buy some meat for boo he took out his wallet to make sure he had enough money and put in back in his jacket pocket not his top pocket in his overalls and someone picked it off him .  >:( i have not been in there for a very long time. mostly walmart and online shopping which i did last night and have to pick up here in a bit. i go in harps nice store very nice friendly people and i like the town.

hi joho did you watch the chiefs last night mahomes and team were great beat brady 41-31  :)

GB Ukraine Florida SC all animals and all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/72055D4FA384

johoward

« Reply #25640 on: October 03, 2022, 08:47:06 AM »

5:26  Not too bad for me.  Mouse worked better then usual.  Thanks for being here for me.
 Very late start this morning.  Woke at four, but did not really get up until after eight. LOL
  I think mini-hibernating kicked in because it is so cold.  Still only 42 degrees at 9am and full sun.  Winter is here.  I should be sleeping.
Yay for Mahomes,  not so much for the Browns..  Another really miraculous performance by all the Chiefs.
Hey!!!  Why do they get to keep their name?  Is it because it is highly respected "Chiefs" and not lowly " Indians" which is what Brazilians call servants?  Therefore not degrading in the minds of native Americans.  I don't know.  I never thought less of anyone called Indian or Brave or redskin.  I guess other areas of the country did think differently than Ohioans.  I always thought it would be an honor to be red blooded.  I guess I was wrong.
Well enough of that,  soapbox is put away.
Good Monday morning everyone.  Crisp and fresh today.  Had a good covid free get together yesterday at Mary and Matt's home.  We celebrated the September birthday group.  Odin 4, Matt 30, and Debbie 60.  Sheet cake had three groups of candles.  One group for each celebrant.  Odin blew them all out.  One candle at a time.  He is a careful boy.  He loved his doctor kit and his foot powered rocket launcher and his John Deere tractor with the magnetic driver.  Matt loved his Cracker Barrel card and his shredder.  Debbie would have liked to love her Northface Jacket, but it was too small and Mary refused to take it back. She likes to see her 60 year old Mom dressed in tight clothes like a 20 something.  I think Debbie will find a way to exchange it.
Well I ate too much of Shannon's great pasta salad filled with shredded rotisserie chicken.  Too much cake, and too many of Dave's Famous Subs.  This morning my sugar is high.  Will need to do some biking. LOL
Also the  party edge was dulled a little by us all watching the Brown's beat themselves again.
 We had nine people from four generations there in Mary's house.  Great Grandma Joan was sorely missed.  She would have been so happy to get together.  She loved them all so much. Oh SOB.  Poor me.
CUL EV 1  GBU and all in need especially Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25641 on: October 03, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »

hi joho sorry about the brownies  :( i was wondering too why chiefs get to be chiefs stupid really all of it. lot more in the world to worry about than that. call geha field at arrowhead but everyone says arrowhead period. i hate tight clothing need to move around. how is boss? news on ukraine and they are taking back their land very good saw finally the pope called out putin by his name told him to end this madness how many more need to die etc.

Ukraine
Petraeus: US would destroy Russia’s troops if Putin uses nuclear weapons in Ukraine
Former CIA director and retired army general says Moscow’s leader is ‘desperate’ and ‘battlefield reality he faces is irreversible’

The US and its allies would destroy Russia’s troops and equipment in Ukraine – as well as sink its Black Sea fleet – if the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, uses nuclear weapons in the country, former CIA director and retired four-star army general David Petraeus warned on Sunday.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #25642 on: October 04, 2022, 05:50:55 AM »

Jack, RC, Kimani, and More - UPDATE October 3, 2022

RC at 23
We think Jack is heading out to call it another year at the age of about 24. After my last look at him yesterday as he headed off at 2:44 PM, I suspect he rested a while before going to a place about a mile away where he has stopped almost every year for eight years as he heads out. He was there last evening at about 7 PM. We’ll be waiting for a call from another common spot about five miles away if the people there are home, and the next spot about 10 miles away after that. Then no one knows where he goes beyond there for the winter. He reverses those visits in the spring. We’ll see what we hear over the next couple weeks. The spot about five miles away holds a good memory of his visit some years ago. It is a picture that hangs in the Bear Center of Jack sharing his food with a chipmunk that is comfortably stuffing its cheeks by Jack’s cheek inches (maybe 4 inches) away on one side and his paw an inch or two away on the other side. They were comfortably ignoring each other and calmly eating.Kimani with her 2 female cubs
Kimani with her 2 female cubs

The next question is about RC who is Shadow’s oldest surviving descendent at 23. Will she have cubs this winter? She was supposed to have cubs last winter but didn’t. We thought maybe it was because she had mated with Spanky, but we don’t really know at what age black bears stop having cubs. We know of a couple that had their last litters at 26. Shadow set the known record at 28. But how many stop earlier than that? Will she have cubs this winter at 24? What makes us wonder is that pregnant females are the earliest to den. Her mother Shadow sometimes denned up for the winter in the last week of August when she was pregnant. RC showed up today which seems counter to being expectant. I couldn’t help take a picture of her today because the light was right to show her eyes nicely, and she was standing there quietly looking at me. Click. She was also showing the distinctive white check mark on the right side of her chest that gives her the name RC that stands for Right Check. If she has cubs in the spring, we’ll learn that some pregnant mothers den in October, or maybe that some mothers stop having cubs at 21 even though she seemed to be in the height of her productive life with a litter of four.

At this time of year, we don’t expect to see pregnant females still up and around. Instead, we see mothers with cubs. They are among the last bears to call it a year. So today we were not surprised to see 16-year-old Bow and her two cubs (Bertha and Bentley) and non-clan mother Kimani and her two un-named female cubs (that posed as a family standing against a white pine, their comfortable place to eat). Elsewhere, 15-year-old Lily and her three cubs and 13-year-old Jewel and her three cubs are still safe and being seen.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #25643 on: October 04, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »

hi you guys its 49 here clear also 49 in iceland light rain and windy. jack sure has a ways to walk but as long as he is safe i worry when too much info given on where they are at. jewel is safe. lots of people along the ways watching out for them and i would guess a hunter shows up they run them off i sure would. takes a village to save bears. i heard on the news rocket man NKorea firing off them rockets and japan sounding alarms saying cannot ignore this anymore. Does the United States defend Japan?
Article 5 commits the United States to defend Japan if it is attacked by a third party. Article 6 explicitly grants the United States the right to base troops on Japanese soil, subject to a detailed "Administrative Agreement" negotiated separately.

Ukraine pushes further into territory ‘annexed’ by Moscow; poorly trained Russian conscripts dying just days into fighting

Ukraine’s counteroffensive in the east and south of the country continues to build momentum, with President Zelenskyy announcing last night that there were “new liberated settlements in several regions.”

On Monday, Ukrainian forces saw more successes on the battlefield, pushing through Russian defenses in the south of the country, as well as consolidating their hold on territory around Lyman in the eastern Donetsk region, and looking to push further into neighboring Luhansk.

President Putin announced Russia was annexing both regions last Friday, as well as Kherson and Zaporizhzhia in the south, but Moscow’s hold on them looks increasingly fragile with none of the regions fully occupied by Russian forces.

In his nightly address, the Ukrainian president said “fierce fighting continues in many areas of the front” but said an increasing number of occupying forces were trying to escape and “more and more losses are being inflicted on the enemy army.”

Zelenskyy said Russian men who had been mobilized to fight in Ukraine just a few weeks ago were already dying in Ukraine.

GB Ukraine GB the bears all animals GB all of us GB God

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D8055D56A31F?z=0

calhound

« Reply #25644 on: October 05, 2022, 05:18:14 AM »

hi you guys its 55 and light rain 47 and cloudy in iceland

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D50B8FB?z=0

GB Ukraine GB all animals and GB us

neva

« Reply #25645 on: October 05, 2022, 07:19:19 PM »

Cow field ... 23:02      86°  (3:58 pm)    It rained a lot yesterday, but probably won't today.  It is cloudy though and sunny.

Hi you guys and anyone that stops by.  I hope that all is going well for you.

Joho ... your family get together sounded nice.   I know how you are feeling in missing Joan and thinking how she would have loved being there with you all.  I often feel that about Larry when I know that he'd really enjoy something that we are doing, or how I'd love to tell him about something.  I like to think that somehow he knows.

Cal ...  When I think of all of the young Russian men that don't want any part of Putin's war and have to escape Russia.  It reminds me of Grandpa Morris.  He came from Belarus during a time when it was definitely a part of Russia.  He knew he was about to be drafted into the Czar's army, and he had all kinds of reasons to not want to fight for the Czar, so he borrowed a friend's passport and left Russia.  He ended up in Massachusetts where later he met Grandma who was from the Ukraine which was also a part of Russia.  Her parents brought her here when she was fourteen.  When she was 18, a marriage was arranged between the two of them.  Putin wants to be the new Czar and many don't want to be pulled into a war they don't believe in.  I think that many of the young people want to live a more modern, Western European life. 

Later ... this evening, we had a huge thunderstorm.   ⛈️🌵  We needed that ...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:51:39 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25646 on: October 06, 2022, 05:14:45 AM »

hi you guys its 55 and clear here 46 and partly cloudy in iceland. 61 in the barn

hi joho hope you are okay

hi neva  it is cooler for you and good you got the rain they say how dry we are but i dont mind that and got little rain yesterday. i love hearing about your grandparents neva!  :) i think young people maybe all people are wanting freedom and live in peace people in china iran north korea course russia cuba just want to be free. shame that is asking too much to dictators and czar wanna be. one day all those people will stand up against them. those new young russians putin made go to his war dying right and left putin said to them when they did not want to go and die well you will only die once. sure do wish his once would get here. yes i think your larry is watching over you guys.

GB Ukraine GB all animals and gb us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/DB055D4F7333?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25647 on: October 06, 2022, 12:10:49 PM »

6:22 YAY! I am average!!!!!
Hi friends.  Did you miss me?  I am good. just was out and about yesterday til late.  Did see Debbie for a while in the evening.  She is concerned about a little barky dog down the street being an annoyance off leash all the time. It attacked, and bit, a friend of Debbie's in Debbie's driveway.  Debbie has been trying to avoid this dog for it's own good for a long while.  She is at the end of her patience, and had words with the dog owner about control, the law, etc.  Boss was glad to see me.  When I was leaving he got the zoomies in the house and ran around like a crazy dog.  He did not want me to go without him.
 It has been nice around here for a while.  Hot and dry again today.  I guess bitter cold and rain coming in tonight.  I have the heat on so I don't care now if it gets cold.  Don't really like wet though. Time for lunch now.  So I will asy so long for a while.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #25648 on: October 07, 2022, 05:18:04 AM »

Jack, Kimani, and Bow - UPDATE October 6, 2022

Overlook fall colors
The update about Jack calling it a year was so moving to Trish Kirk, thinking about the time she has spent with him, that she wrote a poem:

The forest was spooky,
dark and deep,
but Jack had miles to go
upon his feet.
He paid no attention
to the spiders and bats.
He was on a mission
to get from this place to that.
His belly is full
His body is fat
And he is now ready
for his long winter's nap.
He paused only briefly
to glance at the man
who shows kindness and compassion
as much as he can.
So we bid you goodnight
Into your den you will rest.
Sweet dreams to dear Jack
in your warm winter nest.
Trish Kirk

Kimani with female cub   Bow with cub
Jack has touched the hearts of many with his willingness to trust. He shows a side of black bears that is opposite to the fears that are deeply held by many. A common belief is that when black bears lose some of their fear of people, they become more likely to attack. The truth is that as they lose fear of people they become less defensive and therefore less likely to attack, as has been shown in this community for over 60 years.

The photo of the fall colors was taken from the nearby overlook two days ago when color was at its peak. Maples are adding their reds while aspens and birches provide the brilliant yellow. In the last couple days a brilliant birch out the window here lost most of its leaves, and maples are beginning to do the same. It will look quite barren around here in a couple weeks.

Out the window, non-clan Kimani and her cubs visited a couple days ago. Sixteen-year-old Bow and her cubs came yesterday, and 7-year-old Pixie and her cubs were by today at 6:10 AM and 6:59 PM. Others will likely come through the night.

calhound

« Reply #25649 on: October 07, 2022, 05:28:09 AM »

hi you guys its 47 and clear here cloudy and 44 in iceland really like the poem on jack. all the people that watch over the bears  :)

hi joho yes missed you and i hope little barky owner puts barky on leash.  i swear some people. oh run on up to her house and bite her friend in her driveway! I can just see boss running the house brownie and penny will do that i go for 5 minutes and come on where have you been i need to crawl up in your lap knock you outta of the chair.  chiefs on monday night football raiders brownies sunday at noon chargers

hi neva i saw on the weather channel earlier it was 65 for you very nice.

GB Ukraine GB all animals GB all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/EC055D50D851