Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 601953 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25200 on: July 03, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »

Butterfly ...  29:10     99°  (5:05 pm)   lightly overcast, some sun.  A little wind... it probably will rain in the mountains where my granddaughter is spending the day.

Hello you two, and anyone else that is stopping by.  I hope your day has been a good one.

Boss sounds like a really nice dog, Joho.  It is a bonus that the fireworks don't bother him.  It's a pleasure to have a dog that walks nicely beside you.  My last dog, Maddie, did not.  She pulled me all over the place, and she was very strong.  It's my fault that she wasn't well trained though. 

Cal ... It's good that your youngest raccoon settled down and got her cookie.  Your raccoons sound like they have become pretty tame.  When my daughter Michelle and her daughter Bella went camping one time, out at a lake, at night, and a band of raccoons showed up - little Banditos - and got into and stole the Tortillas meant for dinner.  They are cute though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:29:28 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #25201 on: July 04, 2022, 07:52:50 AM »

my internet has been off just came back on bbl got lots to do
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25202 on: July 04, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »

Happy Fourth of July! Be safe keep our pets safe

GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4D055D51E6CF
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25203 on: July 04, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »

Happy 4th EV1. Hot one here.  Went for morning bike ride.  Got sweaty.  Now enjoying the AC at my computer.  Listening to the rain fall at Decorah North Eagle Cam.  Sounds very cool, and welcome.  The fledglings are enjoying the shower.
GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #25204 on: July 04, 2022, 10:04:04 AM »

its 46 in iceland and raining it is 84 here heat index today all week 105-110

Hi Joho i saw it was hot for you too. enjoy that ac!

johoward

« Reply #25205 on: July 04, 2022, 10:07:40 AM »

6:02 Just what I saw last night.  Very nice.  Again Happy 4TH to you all that visit here.

calhound

« Reply #25206 on: July 05, 2022, 05:33:26 AM »

hi you guys its 80 here 74 in the barn but later on today it will be like 84 in the barn its 58 in iceland but light rain looks like rain all week in iceland. they probably dont have big wild fire there i hope not. i got to pick up groceries jim on vacation all this week. i got a sick old cat been with him all night  :(

GB Ukraine
http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/43055D53D264

johoward

« Reply #25207 on: July 05, 2022, 05:57:33 AM »

6.14 I am a 6 minute guy.  Me and my computer that is. Sometimes it takes several tries to grab a piece.  This really slows me down.  Not an excuse.  Just saying.
Deb and Boss were over yesterday.  Deb brought some water melon.  Boss likes it.  So I gave him some.  He is such a gentle eater. We had a  nice visit.
I found out late at night that a 4 month old pup was lost near me.  So I drove around for quite a while hoping to spot her.  No luck.  Finally got to bed at 2am I think.  I will look again this morning.  It is raining gently now.  So a lost puppy may be uncomfortable and move around.  Plus there is loud thunder.
I will go now and drive around.  CUL EV1  GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #25208 on: July 05, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »

Sun Chairs ...  22:17        99°  (4:10 pm)  Partly cloudy, slightly breezy.

Hi you two ... and everyone else that drops by here.  I hope that your day is going well.

We stayed home yesterday and watched the fireworks on Cable.  It was loud around here, in the neighborhood, and a couple of our cats were afraid and hid under a bed in the back bedroom.  I hope that someone is able to find that puppy, Joho.

It sounded like one of our neighbors on the next street over, had a cannon.  😡
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25209 on: July 06, 2022, 05:52:18 AM »

Bear News – July 4, 2022
Happy 4th of July!
Our Ecology hall interns, new enrichments and exciting news to come.

Bear Weights:
Ted 570 lbs., Lucky 440 lbs., Holly 267 lbs., and Tasha 316 lbs.

Bear fact: Black bears have short non-retractable claws that give them excellent tree climbing ability.

Brinn
Brinn
Dee
Dee
Last week I mentioned our Northwoods Ecology Hall interns but failed to include their pictures. The Ecology Hall interns take care of the amphibians, reptiles, fish and other small critters that potentially coexist with black bears in Minnesota. They also help with bear care when needed. In the photo Brinn is holding our garter snake and Dee is holding the tiger salamander.

Ted in creek
Ted in creek
Ted
Ted
Ted had his normal big day out on Thursday. He had a short nap and then had his enrichment. His enrichment included some different frozen tasty treats. One was applesauce and nuts, Ted liked it. Next, he ate the jelly with apple/raspberry juice and the last one he didn’t touch, was peanut butter with applesauce. He also had a short visit with Lucky through the fences and then walked back to his own enclosure where he had a cold fruity treat waiting for him.

Lucky wading in creek
Lucky wading in creek
Lucky yawns
Lucky yawns
Lucky cooled himself off in the overflow creek. He chewed on some of the reeds near the rock bridge. As soon as Holly had finished eating, he was following her. They walked off into the woods. It’s interesting this year to watch the mating ritual. Mouthing each other, sparring and an occasional coupling. This will soon end as we move into July.

Tasha sits in her bowl
Tasha sits in her bowl
Holly
Holly
Holly and Tasha are tolerating each other and playing. They have played both inside and outside their enclosures. Estrus seems to be lasting longer this year than last year. The interns are learning the differences in how bears vocalize and interact with each other.

The bears have just started to shed in the past week. Shedding is now noticeable in both Holly and Tasha. As their hairs are bleached by the sun they turn to lighter shades of brown.

Holly by rock
Holly by rock
Lucky and Holly
Lucky and Holly
Tasha lost four pounds, she is exercising by chasing and playing with Holly. She still shows off to our guests by sitting in her tub and playing with her toes.

Our interns are learning and sharing their knowledge of bears through social media using NABC TikTok. The bears are becoming more and more popular with almost 120,000 views on some of the videos!

Lucky in tree
Lucky in tree
Coming soon–the interns will be designing bags for our annual auction of bear bags. Be ready. This year we have a couple of interesting auction items, so keep this in mind as the summer rolls on and watch for more details. Also coming this month–little things you might not know about our bears.

We have exciting news to share with you on Facebook Live on Thursday,  July 7th at 11:30 am. Please tune in, you don’t want to miss this one. Exciting, beary exciting!

Thank you again for sending nuts and dried fruit, we appreciate your generosity. The bears eat them daily.

Thank you for all you do,
Sr. Bear Keeper, Sharon Herrell

calhound

« Reply #25210 on: July 06, 2022, 06:12:28 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here humid 74 in the not humid another over 100 again today and tomorrow and so forth. its 57 captial of iceland but light rain. griz barking away good update

hi joho i hope you find that puppy! please god let it be found. what was it doing outside without a leash or a fence or someone right there. i worry every fourth about stuff like that. always ask people please keep them inside tv on keep them safe its your job if nothing else. i got a little watermelon yesterday its in the fridge so hot do not feel like eating much. i googled ukraine last night and just bad stuff putin just erasing city after city he will never run of bombs. or ever get a good soul.

hi neva we did not hear any fireworks course in my room tv blaring away ac on and extra window ac on dogs all sound asleep. i hope no fireworks. i asked god to not any around here dont need that or a fire saw big wildfires somewhere fireworks maybe bbq how can people be just so stupid so stupid i would be mad if i was you too. i am mad for you. happy this holiday is over saw on the local new talking about college football so fall is coming then good old winter. yay for winter. well griz you got jim up i hear the bath water running. time to go

GB Ukraine please god.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/8D055D5A07E3

johoward

« Reply #25211 on: July 06, 2022, 07:39:21 AM »

6:18 as usual.  Some rain this morning, but drying up now. Temp not too bad. 72 degrees at 8:38 am.
 Puppy not found that I know of.  Will call owner later today to ask. Mean while I am still looking all around.  She was on leash but slipped out of it and ran off in fear. 
Thanks for being here my friends.  It starts my day off right.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #25212 on: July 06, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »

Snowman ...  21:39       102°  (3:36 pm)   Mostly sunny, not much of a breeze ...  'Alexa' says, "No rain is expected today."  ?

Hi you two, and anyone else that happens by this place.  I hope that your day has been a good one so far.

You have one eye on Iceland, Cal and are missing much cooler weather.  I didn't realize it was so rainy in Iceland. I just thought of it as Artic snow and ice a good part of the year.  Too bad you couldn't visit the place.  I hope things cool down for you soon.

I sure hope the puppy is found soon.  Whenever storms or fireworks are happening, I worry about all the frightened animals out there. 
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25213 on: July 07, 2022, 05:44:33 AM »

hi you guys its i think 75 huge thunderstorms right now i made it out to the barn its 74 in there and no storms 4 raccoonies did not see all the kids but sure not far away. i gotta hurry here one lots of lighting and two i got to go to the city for the dentist and implant doc please let it be the crown and dentist can just fix it there..

Hi joho well they should think harness not leash and should of maybe just kept it in the house it is a puppy after all better to clean up a mess than have this happen. its humid here be back up there temp soon. i hope the puppy was found hope someone found it took it in.

Hi Neva its 57 iceland and cloudy not raining tonight 48. i was telling jim about iceland yesterday he just did not get that no dogs if you live in the capital Reykjavík he kept thinking like the capital building so i finally forgot it. but all the city of reykhavik no dogs i would love to visit iceland also would love to be alot younger and someone i could trust to stay here watch my kids and no one can do that and would break their hearts i can not do that so happy i can google it. kitchen hounds going at it

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BF055D519ACF

johoward

« Reply #25214 on: July 07, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »

5:08 very good for me.  Mouse working better than usual. 73 degrees and sunny out.  Missed the garbage men.  Stayed up too late watching TV.  Do not recall what was on.  What a waste.
Well, no word on puppy yet.  Will call today.  Ask status.
Starting to sound like Russia too big for Ukraine to win.  I hope I am wrong.  GBU and GB Ukraine