Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603623 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24210 on: November 28, 2021, 05:44:10 AM »

hi you guys its 36 and clear here. no raccoonies did not see that cat but sure hidden in the hay not so many mice coming out so something is up. they came out when i was back feeding pearl. well all is not well with that poor mouse. good ted is getting better and better.

hi neva! missy has a miniture dash josie what a cute dog she is. I bet your hans was so cute too i would like one i am afraid of their spine like a basset hound. right now i have more than enough dogs. cali birthday today she is 9 she has lots of white on her face now and heavy hard to get that fat off her hard to get it off me. next month on the 27th my griz my darlin will be 14 soon i will be older too 67 heading for 70 like you neva it went so fast i dont feel it in my head either but my body sure does. i see way older people getting around a whole better than me happy for them wish it was me i feel bad for jim sometimes being stuck with someone that is so handicap but i get my chores done just takes forever well there goes griz howling and girls have joined in jim yelling from his room shut up heres to another day starting out.  :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D50B8FB?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

neva

« Reply #24211 on: November 28, 2021, 01:51:41 PM »

Thanks Lori!  What a beautiful puppy!  Yes, I did have a great day ... thanks again.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24212 on: November 29, 2021, 05:21:39 AM »

Bear News – November 27, 2021
Happy Holidays!

I wanted to report on the bears one more time before the end of the season. The big news is Ted is doing very well!

Bear weights: (end of season)
Ted 694 lbs., Lucky 505 lbs., Holly 330 lbs., Tasha 394 lbs.

Hibernation dates are as follows: Holly – September 27, Lucky – October 26, Tasha – November 10 (but I’m sure you will continue to see her out and about) and Ted we hope very soon.

Ted
The 2021 season gave us the opportunity to work with new interns and seasoned and new volunteers. It is always a pleasure to see young minds at work as our interns learn to respect and work with each bear. Everyone loves Ted immediately. His gentle whoots and acknowledgement of their presence gives them confidence to work with the more challenging females, especially sweet Holly.

Holly didn’t surprise any of us as she disappeared into her dug den on September 27, weighing 330 lbs. It wasn’t a surprise either when she met Lucky about 20 feet from her den and chased him away.

Ted

Tasha
Lucky had good intentions approaching her with gentle whoots and tongue clicks but she wasn’t accepting. She chased him and after a brief confrontation Lucky scooted back to the comfort of the bunker den. I don’t think he has figured out her moods as not many of us have.

Her hibernation time coincides with Minnesota bears. Dr. Rogers has reported in the past that in the late 1960’s the State of Minnesota traded black bears for turkeys with the State of Arkansas. Therefore, we believe there is a good possibility that Holly has northern genes and hibernates the same time as the wild bears in Minnesota do, between September 1 – October 31. Good night sweet Holly.

Lucky

Holly's den
Lucky bear truly wanted to hibernate early in October but he was kind enough to wait until after we closed. Lucky received several bags of raked leaves and then on October 24th, he got his straw. Some of the straw is still outside his bunker, maybe for future use. Lucky went into his den for hibernation on October 26. Good night handsome Lucky bear.

Tasha at rock den

Tasha
Tasha bear, what can we say? Tasha was in her den (the Rock Den) for a 10-day period November 10-17. She then came out a few days later and has been out on a regular basis. She collects more bedding, looks for treats, and if she sees a human shoots back into her den. What a bear! I think she just wants to keep her viewers entertained. She is a comical little bear. I will always say little Tasha even though she’s much rounder than Holly. Time will tell as Tasha decides when to settle in for good. This year Holly and Tasha got along quite well.

I purposely left our precious Ted for last. The past two weeks have been challenging for all of us but Ted, being the cooperative soul that he is, seems back to normal. The Moderators caught Ted resting on his back, wow! Our bear is doing so great.

Tasha in den
Ted is still eating soft foods for now in the spring we will adjust his foods and treats to what he can handle. I know he’ll be back to eating his treats again. Dr. Rogers’ update on Nov. 12, talked about healing in the den. Ted is an amazing bear and he is very alert, yet sleepy, if that makes sense. We love our Ted bear and we are thrilled he did very well through his dental surgery. I suspect he will hibernate very soon.

I want to thank our dedicated staff, volunteers, interns, moderators, and supporters. Also a very sincere thank you to Dr. Kristen, the Ely Veterinary clinic and the dental staff at the University of Minnesota for their care of Ted.

I also wish to thank all of our generous donors during Give to the Max Day! Our bear enclosure project is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2022. Thank you for putting us over our goal and joining us on this important day of giving.

Here’s to a prosperous, happy and safe 2022!
I will be hibernating in Michigan, see you in the Spring!

Thank you for all you do.
Sr. Bear Keeper, Sharon Herrell
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24213 on: November 29, 2021, 05:25:12 AM »

hi you guys jim going over a ticket on the business so in a hurry bbl its 38 here no raccoonies in the barn

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/AB055D50259E?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24214 on: November 29, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »

6:08 No comment except I do like the looks of that water.  Kind of shallow though when you can walk your boat.  The motor might hit the bottom.
Another nice day here.  Started out crunchy cold, but sun thawed everything in the afternoon.  Not much else to report.  Did check all the cams, but as usual in the winter not much going on. Some interesting foot traffic on Dublin cam and maybe some owls on GSB Cam
Yawning here S o CUL EV1 God Bless

calhound

« Reply #24215 on: November 30, 2021, 05:15:46 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24216 on: November 30, 2021, 05:24:52 AM »

hi you guys its 41 here 70 something yesterday 51 in the barn i was in there and jim scared me and pearl he came to shovel her poop help me out said would help tonight too so gives me time to do other stuff lots of office stuff and cleaning up in the house tomorrow try to hit walmart get some christmas stuff.

Hi Joho! like here starts out kinds cold then gets warm oh rats howlers in the kitchen. so funny griz is the loudest his own personal howl. :) i have not worked that boat puzzle yet i had a dream last night i was in a boat and it went over and i struggled and struggled to swim but was so worn out and ready to go under and woke up!! i use to love the water when i was young but now im afraid of it cause of that right there. what would pearl do or any of my others. how is your debbie doing?

Hi Neva! did you have a birthday cake? What is your favorite kind of cake?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/EA055D4F8974?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24217 on: November 30, 2021, 11:27:30 AM »

i went up in that balloon in 3:55 no not really i would never do that!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #24218 on: November 30, 2021, 07:03:31 PM »

6:58 Never really wanted to go ballooning.  I think it is a lot like sailing.  Where you travel at the will of the wind.  There is no real sense of motion, because you are at the same speed as the wind. I like to feel the wind.  Like on a motorcycle, or a taboggan,  or skis even.
Another great day here.  Lots of fluffy white snow at dawn.  I mean on every twig and stem.  Fairyland ish.  Then the sun came out, and warmed everything up a lot.  All the snow was gone by early afternoon, but it was warm.
Gonna go see the cams now.  CUL EV1 God Bless

neva

« Reply #24219 on: November 30, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »

Balloon dreams ...   25:27     It was supposed to have been 81° today, but I never checked the temp out.  I often thank my mom and dad for bringing my brothers and I here ... no real winter in my location, unless you want to go north, or up in the mountains to find it.

Cal, you asked me what my favorite cake is, I really love German Chocolate Cake.  I was given the recipe by a neighbor of mine, who was in her 80s ... about 60 years ago,  and it is sooo good!  She was such a sweet lady.  I loved her stories about when she was young.  She surprised me and gave me a rocking chair that was one of her wedding gifts ( I had three little ones at the time, and she also gave me her Cedar Chest, both hand made.  They never had children and she wanted these things to go to a young family.  I've passed them on, with my daughter Susan having the rocking chair now, and my son Timothy, believe it or not, has the cedar chest.

(I actually like pies more than cake.)
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24220 on: December 01, 2021, 05:39:09 AM »

hi you guys its 43 baby possum on my sidewalk eating rest of the bird seed i looked out my door but when i got up at 1 am it was there doing that drinking water i told it sorry i got to head out to the barn. one raccoonie in the barn may of been that cat dont forget today is the first day of our advent calendar.

hi joho! i never thought of same speed as the wind i have never skied but on a motorcycle my 4 wheeler and of course riding my horses all my life kid rode in back of a pickup truck that was fun i like mowing in the hay field and feeling the wind come up very windy here almost every day. my dad did not like the wind put him in mood. no snow here at all i got to go to walmart get some christmas stuff for gifts. 

hi neva! love your german chocolate cake story! very nice of her to give you those things and you handed them down i really like that. i loved to listen to stories my great grandma would tell me called her grandma keegan she was married 5 times and all her husbands died. :o she had a mouth on her taught me some cuss words she lived in a mother in law extention of my grannys and papa house she was my grannys mom and papa tolerated her my granny and papa did not speak that way so gk taught me some good ones and i went and said them to my granny and i got my mouth washed out with soap.  :) jims mom gave me her cedar chest its in my office here date on it 1953 what is your favorite pie? i really like pie too i am going to make one well cook sara lee cherry pie for jims dad for christmas he loves cherry pie rues loves cherry pie the best too with cold milk yum

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7C055D55EE93?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24221 on: December 01, 2021, 10:57:36 AM »

Will do later almost lunch already.  That kite seems worse than the balloon for risk, but I would like to have done that I think.  Especially if I was good at it.  If not once would probably do it for me CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #24222 on: December 01, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »

it took me 3:42 to release my parachute no way would i ever i mean never ever do that!

joho please never skydive im going to post puzzles of nice calm stuff! :) neva dont you be skydiving either!  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24223 on: December 02, 2021, 02:40:09 AM »

That parachute thing ...  35:31  yikes!  nope, I won't be doing that, Cal.  (I have a thing about heights)

I haven't met too many pies I don't like.  I do love cherry pie.  It would be easier to mention the ones I don't like.  One would be Mince Meat Pie... and my father in law would put rum on it.     :(

Your Great-grandma sounds a bit like Larry's Canadian Grandmother (mother's mom).  She was married to four that I know of, and outlived all of them.  According to Larry, the last one was the best ... Grandpa Martin.  They were all farmers and Americans.
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24224 on: December 02, 2021, 05:25:33 AM »

A Peaceful Day - UPDATE December 1, 2021
White-tailed deer rests yet alert
White-tailed deer rests
This alert but restful deer was typical of this peaceful day with temperatures a little above freezing. We are getting into the period when white-tailed deer in northern climates reduce their metabolism. I saw this by Dr. Aaron Moen, “The milder the activity, the lower the respiration and heart rate, consequently, a lower metabolic rate and vice versa. The only way deer can survive the harsh winters where food sources are limited, is to conserve as much energy as they can to ensure their fat reserves aren’t completely dissolved by winter’s end. The only way for them to do this is to naturally and gradually decrease their activity levels, thus resulting in a drop in temperature, respiration and heart rate. All things combined, a deer’s lower metabolic rate is conducive to northern winter weather.”

Aaron’s name brings back good memories. Back in my deer research days in the late 1970’s, Aaron took a year off from Cornell University and went on sabbatical to work with me on deer here in northeastern Minnesota. A good year.

Thank you all for what you have done to make my research and education more effective.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center