Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602646 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23895 on: September 23, 2021, 06:03:47 AM »

No update - all is well. LM

hi you guys its 43 here

hi joho i am okay running late got lots to do and for the first time in a long time i can put weight on my bad foot without severe pain my achilles tendon still messed up but today i can stand on it but still on scooter as much as i can i walk so very slowly trying to keep it straight not put weight on it i saw big thunderstorms for cleveland hope you was okay i know its really bad to shop when you are hungry! spend a hundred more easy. here all my stuff as gone up in price ten cents here more there. i will post this and move on cul gb

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A3055D4D3464?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23896 on: September 23, 2021, 06:12:45 AM »

hi neva i forgot to tell you yesterday there was a show on hgtv about curb appeal and they were working on the yard when they got done on the men walked up to the front porch and on that swing was an aus cattle dog it was not the color of maddie but looked like the one in the dog shame so the man was talking real sweet to it and lean down to pet it and dog showed teeth and growling man backed away real slow. dog says get away from my porch swing it had cushions and pillows nice swing.  :)
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23897 on: September 23, 2021, 07:14:52 AM »

7:24
Hi EV1,  Waiting for second coffee already.  Got an early start getting up.  Don't want to miss MRI tomorrow.  LOL.
Really wet around here.  Not too stormy.  Just steady hard rain for a long time.  Today not so wet, but pretty cold.  Had to put a blanket on the bad for the first time in months.  It is only 50 degrees and breezy at 8 am.
FYI the Amish in this area tend to favor the Australian cattle dogs.  I can never tell if they are friendly or not.  They rarely show any tail wagging.  Usually they just ignore me when I stop for veggies etc.  They are very protective of the little children.
No big plans today.  Just finish the paper and second coffee. Then see what is on cams.
 If it dries up I may go out walking or even try biking to see if my knee is ready.
Our little Mary took off for Berlin with Matt and his family on Monday, and I have not hear from her since.  I hope she is enjoying her trip, and they all stay well.
The covid news is not good any more.  Too many are living as if there is no covid and just spreading it around continuously.  Why?
Well enough preaching.  It does no good anyway. 
CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #23898 on: September 23, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »

hi joho i meant to ask you about mary and matt trip to berlin pretty exciting for them. maybe they will send you some pics and you could post them! or talk of their trip that would be nice. my old friend doc and mary strange he was the town vet long ago both are gone now but i forgot they had sadie and she too was an aus cattle dog she looked like the dog shame one she was the neatest sweetest dog doc drove an old ford pickup always had sadie riding shotgun in the front. and he never saw me drive past he was always looking straight ahead but sadie she would see me and looked out the back window barking waggin her tail. lots of those kinds of dogs around here. i never seen an unfriendly one but then again i dont recall seeing any unfriendly dogs. i took you guys to the barn earlier i have to download the video from camera.

calihoula

« Reply #23899 on: September 23, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »

joho i forgot good luck on your mri i hope it helps you! yes dont forget to go get it! i do remember a few unfriendly dogs i have owned many unfriendly dogs brownie not friendly at vet at all have to muzzle her i always put the dogs up for company.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23900 on: September 23, 2021, 04:06:05 PM »

4:46 on the cati
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23901 on: September 24, 2021, 05:57:13 AM »

No update, all is well. LM

hi you guys its 59 here good all is well with the bears. i heard on the news on pearls radio lots of towns little farther to the east of me lost their power and they lost it cause of stupid fools shooting doves that were sitting on power lines and tearing up the power lines idiots shooting a dove so much for peace of the doves. sorry for the people who do not kill animals but i hope the fools did not get to watch any tv or be cool or warm no frig no stove. and also same idiots killing tons of squirrels mo conservation caught a bunch of them. i told pearl im going to have to unplug your radio till the news is over.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2E055D55955F?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23902 on: September 24, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »

joho i hope it went well for you today with your mri

heading to my barn with pearl and sweets

https://youtu.be/6wXztsV6JiI

calhound

« Reply #23903 on: September 25, 2021, 05:43:12 AM »

ouston, We Have a Problem - UPDATE September 24, 2021
Lucy and cubs
Lucy and cubs
I didn’t think the DNR would resurrect a ban on feeding bears, but Representative Rob Ecklund was at the Eagles Nest Board of Supervisor’s Meeting Tuesday night pushing for legislation banning feeding and saying over and over that the DNR wants it. I don’t know what part of the DNR wants it, but it would lead to a slaughter of the bear clan that Eagles Nest residents have fed for some 60 years. This community has fed bears that long because it worked. The community became known for its lack of bear problems. In years of scarce food, like this year, when bears elsewhere are being shot as nuisances, this community hardly knew it was a bad food year. The bears had diversionary food to keep them out of trouble. A survey in 2007 showed high support for feeding. People actually liked seeing bears as long as they didn’t cause trouble. Seeing bears passing through was not considered trouble. In my recent FOIA request for bear complaints through 2019, I was told there were none from Eagles Nest Community. Then came 2020 and 2021 with severe drought and shriveled berries and hazelnuts and bears coming to the feeding sites in number but staying out of trouble. It was an interesting contrast with what we were hearing from communities that do not do diversionary feeding.

These last two years remind me of the bad food year of 1985 when our studies showed that 6 of ten cubs died, 6 of 7 yearlings died, and mothers were too lean to maintain pregnancies. Some potential mothers then failed to have cubs for up to 4 years.

Minnesota's bear population estimate has now dropped to 10,000 - 12,000, and the state is on record as trying to let the population recover. Estimates in the early 2000’s were 20,000 to 25,000.

In the face of that, there is an effort by Rep. Rob Ecklund within the community to find people who do not want to see bears and are willing to testify in the legislature. It is a fact that people will not coexist with animals they fear. A new housing development has drawn people who are not used to seeing bears, and they are speaking in terror about seeing bears that actually did nothing. The sightings would not be noteworthy to most members of the community. Ecklund is seeking these people to testify that feeding is responsible for the large number of bears seen during the last two years of severe drought and an absence of berries and hazelnuts in the woods.

This 11-minute presentation entitled ‘Can Food Lead Bears Out of Trouble’ was an invited talk at an International Bear Conference a decade ago. Diversionary Feeding: Can food lead black bears out of trouble? In upcoming updates, I’ll give more information on the topic.

A joy today was seeing Lucy and her cubs Desi and Arnie looking healthy. Much more on all this in upcoming updates.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23904 on: September 25, 2021, 05:49:17 AM »

i am really mad at the update gotta have a hater just hate hate hate bears politics make me sick.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/02055D53B6F9?z=0
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:59:53 AM by calhound »

calhound

« Reply #23905 on: September 25, 2021, 03:00:52 PM »

3:31 on grafs

joho are you okay? i heard about a fair little east of me parade carnival food lots of food concert all kinds of stuff hope everyone is vaccinated that goes.

calhound

« Reply #23906 on: September 26, 2021, 05:52:54 AM »

More Background on Feeding - UPDATE September 25, 2021
For more background on feeding, I thought Michael Olson did a good job on this 42-minute interview https://www.bearstudy.org/publications/videos/3946-should-rogers-feed-bears-interview-by-radio-host-michael-olson.html

Chloe nursing 7-13-21 by Alex Hoar
Chloe nursing 7-13-21 by Alex Hoar

I’ve never seen so many bears in this area—bears we never saw before. From what I’ve heard, diversionary feeders kept them mostly out of trouble. Yes, more were seen be people, but I haven’t heard of any real trouble other than people complaining about sightings in the new housing development where they spoke at the Eagles Nest Board of Supervisors Meeting, where Representative Rob Ecklund was recruiting people from that development to testify before the legislature against feeding. In actuality, the diversionary feeders did a great job in keeping these hungry bears from becoming more of a problem than simply being seen. If it wasn’t for the feeding to keep these bears out of trouble, it would have been a slaughter. Instead, we got to see Chloe successfully raising her cubs instead of losing them as is the fate of many cubs in years of scarce food. Minnesota is trying to bring back the population after seeing it dwindle by 50% due to overharvest in past years. Feeding in such a year as this helps reduce mortality.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23907 on: September 26, 2021, 06:01:46 AM »

hi you guys its 56 here clear chiefs play at arrowhead at noon against chargers.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D50B8FB?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23908 on: September 26, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »

3:21 on mooey

johoward

« Reply #23909 on: September 26, 2021, 10:41:13 AM »

5:39 on giraffes and 5:22 on cow. Not too bad, because I am awake now at 11:20. It is 64 and sunny out I really should ne out side, and will be soon.
MRI was a snap due to drugs.  It was fun with Shannon and Brian riding along.  We had a nice 5Guys lunch afterwards.  I thought it was a little high at $40 for three hamburgers.  I won't go back.  The food was juicy and good , but that is just too high.  The last time I spent $10 on a hamburg was in a classy Washington D.C. hotel.  I thought it was high then too.
Took a long walk in the woods yesterday with Billy who calls me uncle.  He is the son of Joan's best friend from high school.  It was very hard for me, but I did it by holding onto a tree now and then for stability.  On the way out at night we walked through a bean field to avoid brush in the dark.  That was very hard.  I need to keep doing these longer hikes to get my strength and stability back.  I will take the day off today to rest up.
  I will take the compact disc from the MRI to the back doctor, DR. Berkowitz, on Wednesday.  To see what he can do if anything.
Yesterday was Daughter's day i guess from emails this morning.  I never heard of it before, but it seems a nice thing to celebrate.  So my Debbie will get a late greeting that I love and cherish her a lot.
Have heard nothing from Mary.  Maybe today.
CUL EV1 GB