Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602101 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23805 on: August 30, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »

8:30  got drenched at the fair last night. already on way to the car when the storm broke.  it was a lot. my clothes are almost dry now.
sounds like the drought is widespread up north. here too weather is extreme.  rain is intense, but widely scattered.  not normal.
 I think I may start going to fairs again.  I used to go every day, but quit when I could not walk.  I can walk now all day if I want.  It is good. Feet still get sore, but that is normal for fair goers.
Next is The Great Geauga County Fair on Senior free day 9/3.  Racing at 5pm.  I will go early, because they have horse shows all day long in the free grandstand.  They also have a large pond where they give lots of different outdoors sport activities.  Like retriever demonstrations and fishing derbies.
Very nice.  I have been here many times.  It is a long ride, but worth it.
Well that is it for now.  cul gb

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23806 on: August 31, 2021, 08:10:01 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23807 on: August 31, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »

hi ev1,
5;32 on the nice lighthouse.
No fairs today.  May go fishing later.  Day is bright and nice 77 degrees at 10;15. May try bike ride too.
That is about it.  Have not checked on cams yet.  Been reading the paper.
CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #23808 on: September 01, 2021, 05:29:27 AM »

Opening of Bear Season tomorrow - UPDATE August 31, 2021
Cub in white pine
Cub in white pine

We’re all hoping and praying for the best in the next few weeks. We know you are, too.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North Aermican Bear Center

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2C055D53BB54?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23809 on: September 02, 2021, 05:56:19 AM »

HI EV1,
Lost a long msg. with bad key stroke. Darn.
 I am good.  Fell off bike avoiding a snake.  3 hours in ER.  Big funny looking knee wraps.  Long pants.  X-ray showed new knee OK.
5:3 on picture puzzle.  I think.
Hearts for bears today on pond cam. Not sure of time.
Back is getting sore from sitting so I will CUL GB

johoward

« Reply #23810 on: September 02, 2021, 05:58:51 AM »

Hi ev1,
5:38 not too bad.  I am almost awake. Very sore.  Could not stay in bed.
  Fell off my bike last evening.  Drove off the walk avoiding a garter snake soaking up the sun on my concrete walk.  Then took a dive onto that concrete walk. The snake was fine.  Just stayed there watching and no doubt laughing in snake way.
 Skinned up both knees, and spent three hours in Lodi Cleveland Clinic ER. They cleaned and wrapped both knees a lot. LOL Took x-rays of right knee to check condition of artificial joint.  Was OK.
I am OK this morning, but will have to wear long pants for a few days. My legs look like the walking wounded.
This was my first real bike ride since I got my new knee, and it was good until the end. 

calhound

« Reply #23811 on: September 02, 2021, 06:10:09 AM »

Not Much to Report - UPDATE September 1, 2021
7 year old Lily on 8-6-14
7 year old Lily on 8-6-14

As hunting hours ended, we heard a shot in one direction and two quick shots in another. We are thankful it was not worse and also thankful for all of you who help divert the bears from trouble and worse. All indications are that 14-year-old Lily, shown in this 7-year-old picture, is okay.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23812 on: September 02, 2021, 06:16:01 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here dr rogers update so scary for the bears and us please god keep everyone safe the bears not the hunters my keyboard messed up not keeping up with my typing

hi joho oh good the snake is okay we see some soaking up sun in the driveway where there is cement saw one in the barn put out snake be gone and it was have not seen it since and mice are out and about you been to a lot fair days riding the bike be careful. watching the weather channel last night worry about my friend dona in pa getting hammered.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/3D055D50156A?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23813 on: September 03, 2021, 05:13:51 AM »

:(

Bears, Woodchuck, and Making Dens - UPDATE September 2, 2021
20210902 Woodchuck greeting mom
20210902 Woodchuck greeting mom
The only two bears we know of being taken in this vicinity were the two taken by the shots we heard last evening—a young bear, probably a yearling, and one that we have no information on maybe a mile away.

Most of the pregnant females have disappeared from the area and we suspect they are beginning to den. We still see Lily on a trail cam and are wondering when she will move to a den. She was at her den of 2013 by the end of August 2012 to begin the longest denning period we ever recorded. She didn’t leave it until April 23, 7.7 months (235 days) later. However, in another year when she was pregnant, she remained active until the end of September.

At the Bear Center, a woodchuck gave better views than I’ve ever seen of a woodchuck gathering bedding for its burrow. "Taught" caught it on this video (3 minutes and 39 seconds) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-NHo91XHn0 I hope baby woodchucks appear there by the rock den next summer so we can see them interact. The picture is from a rare opportunity to see that back in June 1981.

Thank you for your support at this time.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23814 on: September 03, 2021, 05:21:14 AM »

johoward

« Reply #23815 on: September 03, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »

6:38 Nice cool day here. 55degrees at 8:30.  Been up since 6am, but trying to get computer back in shape.  Got it back from repairman yesterday afternoon.  Seems to be working better, but still bogged down with something in backround.  No real news.  Hard to walk, but I am still going to the Geauga cty fair this afternoon.  I will just take a few more tylanol, and sit a lot.. LOL
Well second coffee is probably cold by now.  So got to go and warm it and finish reading the paper.
So CUL  GB

calhound

« Reply #23816 on: September 04, 2021, 04:37:48 AM »

Lily Caught on Camera - UPDATE September 3, 2021
Lily
Lily

With no hunters in the area and no shots heard, we believe the bears are safe for today. Also, 14-year-old Lily was caught on camera looking fine. All is well. Voices are relaxed and cheery here.

calhound

« Reply #23817 on: September 04, 2021, 04:42:42 AM »

hi you guys its raining here 70 good update today cause i will tell you im afraid to look at it right now. so long sept hurry up oct.

hi joho 55 sounds pretty nice to me well there goes my  herd of howling dogs in the kitchen not cali she is in here with me and she does not howl she high pitch barks but not that baying. pennys allergies pretty severe so i put her on pred she is better and stays pretty much inside runs out and uses the bathroom back in now it just griz bark bark bark hagd joho gb you

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/41055D50FA09?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23818 on: September 04, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »

5:45.  Very good update. So sore this morning.  Went to fair to races.  Stayed late petting goats.  They have so much personality.  Burton has a lot of horses and goats.  Got home pretty late.  Don't feel like doing much this morning.  So I will go get my 2nd coffee while it is warm.  CUL  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23819 on: September 04, 2021, 10:57:24 AM »

hi joho i love going to the fair with you! :) oh yes goats have so much personality sweets sure does but pearl does too her and sweets sometimes them two but sweets is something. dogs are too all of them are raccoonies babies are getting bigger now and run up to me treat please fill out these dog food pans walmart girls online shopping two girls swing big sacks of dog food put in my car i say i got the big dogs (a few raccoonies possum or two mice birds )did you get feed the goats too? i get to pet sweets but in return i have to give him cookies if i try to not do the cookies after petting he rams his sidewall  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day