Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602720 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23670 on: July 21, 2021, 08:49:21 AM »

had a pretty good time, but deleted it before writing this. Guess is 4 or 5 minutes. Was in a hurry to get over to watch TV.  They are putting on a show of hopping and almost flying this morning for the camera.  Chance is hiding this morning I guess. Bears are sleeping.  Just a few squirrels on snow.  Nice and cool today .  76 degrees and rain on the way they say .  So I think I will go out for a walk in the park. 
Tonight at 5:30 we are going to dinner to celebrate Mary's 28th birthday.  Not sure who all will make it, but definitely Debbie, Matt, Mary, and me.  Maybe Shannon, Brian, and his boys.  Depending on work schedules.  We are going to Sorrento's Italian Restaurant.  Mary's favorite.
Rain is on the way.  So I will say cul now and head out.  It is wonderful to be able to walk in the woods again.
GB

johoward

« Reply #23671 on: July 21, 2021, 07:53:06 PM »

Back home after a long day.  Started out at Schoepfle Gardens in Lorain County Metro parks.  It is a wonder place given to the parks buy the pervious owner.  Google it.  Very interesting.  They have an especially nice children's garden off to the side.  In it they have a carousel for free rides.  I sent info to all my friends who might have children to entertain, and those who just like gardens.  It is a huge well kept place. Later I met Mary, deb, Shannon and Mary's friend from childhood Carli at Sorento's Italian restaurant.  We all had different dishes.  Mine was shrimp marinara  over linguine.  I had a house salad and finished with two calzone.  Mary ordered calamari and shrimp with sauce served on a small toast for appetizers.  Very good.
 It was a good evening out for a change.
Now home doing laundry, and looking at cams.  TV and falcon and snow for now.  Bears are all out of sight. 
Hope you are all well. 
CUL  GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23672 on: July 22, 2021, 06:29:43 AM »

hi you guys its 71 here hot one today i have to go to the city and see my foot dr

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0D055D4FC9C5?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23673 on: July 22, 2021, 07:47:59 AM »

5:12 Nice dog.
Nice day too. 61 at 8:39.  lots of sun and little wind.
 Rehab coming at 10 am.  Good luck at Dr. Cal. Let us know what they say please.
Little Chance had really come a long way lately.  Spoon will be getting her own meals.
TV babies are getting better at hopping and flapping.
Baby eagles are totally independent.
I believe Mika and I witnessed the baby chucky family breakup one evening last week.  We saw the baby go out under the gate near where Honey used to hang out and not come back.  Since then I have only seen the two adult woodchucks.  I have heard that they can have more than one lutter in a summer.  Soooo.
Have not seen much of interest on Snowman lately.Summer is here and we can only watch the grass grow.  LOL

CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #23674 on: July 23, 2021, 05:46:29 AM »

No update tonight. Dr. Rogers wanted me to tell you he is fine, has just been busy with grandkids and deadlines. All is well! LM
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23675 on: July 23, 2021, 05:55:56 AM »

hi you guys. i saw dr gause yesterday drove down there used my walker to get to his office. he said my achilles tendon was severely bruised. no i do not want a shorter walking boot no boot at all he gave me some excerises to do when i first wake up and 3 times a day cause i am a very active person. loosen it up first before i go all day. he said to sit my foot on ice pack 3 times a day and i have done that here and there take ib profen well i been doing that at night he said elevate and ice well i do that too.  swelling is better just bad around back on my heel and my calf pretty swollen take some time. nurse came in first asking all the ? how long since you did that oh two weeks how long been swollen oh two weeks how long have you been wearing your shoe oh two weeks everything in my world oh two weeks.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/80055D52F619?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23676 on: July 23, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »

on that dog shame hay buddy either eat your food or sit your plate down for her
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23677 on: July 23, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »

joho one tv baby looking out that door dont see the other one  :(
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23678 on: July 23, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »

thank goodness other there now get away from that door its hot they need a fan

calhound

« Reply #23679 on: July 24, 2021, 06:28:06 AM »

hi you guys it is 80 here humid heat index today 105  >:( both tv babies are doing good this morning the full moon was so pretty.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/91055D546989?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23680 on: July 24, 2021, 08:54:50 AM »

6 something I think. Lost it again by clicking around the cams. I can hear the TV, but can't see them.  Need to wake up the cam operators, and give them some coffee to sip while panning around the loft. LOL  the Eagle and falcon are in sight.  Thanks.

Gonna go see bears now.  They had a vicious storm last night with lots of lightning damage in bear area.  Bears are all OK, but in for a while. 
I am going to get some blackberries this afternoon.  I think I will try to make a Bisquick cobbler like my mother used to make whenever I brought berries home from the fields.  It is an excellent childhood memory of mine. I don't even recall if my sisters and brother had any.  I am sure they did.  Just don't picture them.  Just Mom and me. LOL
Cal kind of sounds like you are healing some.  I just hope it all comes back for you, and me too.  Still sore a lot in back in morning.  Hoping now that rehab will fix that since the third mattress did not yet do it.
Hope ev1 else is doing well this summer.  I still wear my mask everywhere I go FYI, but I do go more places now.  They should have done more to protect our athletes in Tokyo, and Jill should have stayed home. IMO
CUL  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23681 on: July 24, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »

hi joho tvs are okay its so hot and humid here feels like 104 i hope tv babies are okay the whitish one laying in front of that door black one standing in front of the door they look like tvs now so beautiful i think most beautiful to me. ty god for them good bears are okay and in storms are so scary looks like a big one heading for olympics i wear my mask too see lots who dont and since mo very low on people getting vaccinated doubt maskless ones are vaccinated still doing online shopping i dont get around real good may never but i will heal from all is. you will too i woke up last night thinking my back hurts oh brownie big butt brownie got behind me moved cali over i was laying on my wooden board at the foot of my bed. my scooter parked right there. rolled off onto my scooter. do you have a couch maybe you could sleep on it. oh the other night i dreamed i was driving this fast car convertible up a mountain round and round higher and higher and i did not make the turn car went off i reached out thinking oh no brushed the road with my hand then i woke up.

johoward

« Reply #23682 on: July 24, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »

Cal that sounds too scary.  I don't remember my dreams.
 I am now convinced it is not my bed, but rather my posture or muscles need toning.  It has been almost a year now, and just about the same.  The only time it did not hurt so bad was when I was in Lifecare and getting a 1 hour workout twice a day.  So I will now try to work out more in spite of the pain in my back and butt and thighs.  I am still going to Ely on the 16th.  I will just do what I can do.  I may stop in Wisconsin to see some Amish friends Jacob and Emma Shetler and their nine children.  They will be surprised, but I told Jacob's mother to let them know I am planning to go by there in August if she wants to.  Joan and I were at their home the day they left Ohio.  They loaded everything including horses and buggies into two huge semis and off they went.  So adventuresome.  Much like I would picture the pioneers starting out from New York or Massachusetts.

Well Good night Sweet bear dreams GB

calhound

« Reply #23683 on: July 25, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »

Loons, Family Day, and Cubs - UPDATE July 24, 2021
The family
The family

The high winds of last evening’s thunderstorm flattened Ely’s Blueberry Festival so badly that they had to call it off for this year. Bad for all, but today was so sunny and warm that we had to make it family day. We started by meeting bears, including Jack and the bear that was named after my daughter Colleen some 18 years ago. Then we went out on the pontoon boat where a loon couple seemed to be having a nice time together in the water. Fifteen minutes later, everyone except me jumped into the water. Left to right, front to back are Gabrielle (10), Donna (72), Kaiya (8), Kelly (40), Micah (9), Colleen (39), and Heinrik (11).

Loons
Loons

Then it was back to work a bit, listing local mothers being seen with cubs (plus a correction).

Mothers in the Clan were:

Donna (21) has a male and a female

Star (12) had a female and a cub of unknown sex that died after being hit by a car. The latter died from the collision, and the surviving female evidently couldn’t nurse enough to prevent ovulation. Star came into estrus and went and mated.

Summer (12) has three males

Daisy (10) has three males (Levi, Logan, and Liam)

Lucy (5) has two males (Desi and Arnie)

Chloe (3) has two males (Charlie Brown and Lincoln)

Sallyann (3) has a male and a female (Kenny and Katie)

Also in the area is a non-clan mother named Emma (3), daughter of long-time resident Kimani. Emma has a single male cub that is doing fine. Not all mothers with single cubs come into estrus.

That totals eight mothers having 17 cubs (13 males, three females, and one unknown sex). Fifteen (88%) of the cubs are doing fine so far.

Hopefully, the people watching them will see them often enough to learn how they do in this summer of drought and scarce natural food.

The correction is that the mother Chloe was misidentified as near-lookalike Pixie at one of the locations. Pixie had yearlings, not cubs, this year.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 06:12:57 AM by calhound »

calhound

« Reply #23684 on: July 25, 2021, 06:12:20 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here rained some i think more today not too much i hope its humid already i mowed some yesterday it was hot wanted to mow more today pearls pasture im working on. good i am not afraid of work. update pictures so good

hi joho i hardly remember my dreams but yes that one was scary good i woke up i need to do my workouts dr gave me but i just get up and go to one thing after another. thanks for posting about the bears falcons eagles all of it oh brownie is out with griz griz is barking and barking but brownie she does this howl like thing lol i better hurry up here  horses in a semi truck? i dont know about that.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/91055D58D5F5?z=0