Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 621135 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #4905 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »

I helped that guy out and shorten his rope and kicked out his chair in 4:27!
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

jpalmken

• Another day in which to excel
« Reply #4906 on: February 26, 2016, 02:27:48 PM »

I pulled the slack out of his rope before I kicked the chair out so it took me 5:07.

ruesgram

« Reply #4907 on: February 26, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »

Hi Cal! I saw that on the news about the shooting in Kansas. It's so scary. Just never know where it will happen next. With all these shootings all over the country WV legislators are easing gun laws. They are about to pass a law where anyone can carry a concealed weapon without a permit! That just scares me to death. No permit, no training. And more counties want Sunday hunting. Thankfully my county said no to that.  I'd better get off this subject or I'll be in a bad mood. Robin and Crow didn't get to go to the movie today. The theater only shows the 3 D movie at 4 pm and Robin had an appeal to finish writing. Hoping they can go tomorrow. Didn't see BBT but I'll watch it tomorrow. I did hear Crow laughing out loud while he watched it last night so it must be a good one!  Omg, hope the wiener dog and everyone else wasn't hurt with those fireworks! :o

Jp, hope the meds help you feel better. I'm going to Google radiculopathy. The meds help hot flashes...good to know!

Nora, I think shelter workers are heroes. I don't know how they do it but I'm glad they do. Hope you and Sparky can get in some nice walks this weekend. We are supposed to have a nice weekend, too.

Eaglette, love the waving grizzly!

Ra, you having a nice weekend, too?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:17:48 PM by ruesgram »

jpalmken

« Reply #4908 on: February 27, 2016, 04:00:16 AM »

Today we have Shannon.

Hello ladies!  we have our last February weekend upon us,  Hopes for decent weather for all and good spirits.

calhound

« Reply #4909 on: February 27, 2016, 04:57:57 AM »

Bears, Birds, and Media - UPDATE February 26, 2016

Common Redpolls
Common Redpolls
Lucky was playing with a stick. Holly tries to take it away and Lucky drew the line at that. Holly listened. Lucky, Holly And The Stick. On the other hand, when they play, Holly trusts Lucky to do what he wants with her, seeming not to worry he will hurt her.

On the way to work this morning a large juvenile goshawk, probably a female, flew off carrying a snowshoe hare that probably approximated her weight (probably 3 pounds each). It?s the first time I saw that. These birds are listed as rare and secretive. The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology website said, ?Northern Goshawks flash through forests chasing bird and mammal prey, pouncing silently or crashing feet first through brush to grab quarry in crushingly strong talons.? I can imagine that happening as the goshawk captured the snowshoe hare.

Redpolls crowding hairy woodpecker
Redpolls crowding hairy woodpecker
Out the window, a flock of redpolls flew away leaving one to continue eating. It was a hoary redpoll?very uncommon. Hoaries come down from farther north than the common redpolls. Hoaries live as far north as northern Greenland and other islands in the Arctic Ocean. I grabbed a camera to snap a picture of its stubby bill to compare with the larger bill of the common redpoll. Just as I snapped it, the hoary redpoll opened its bill, full of a crushed sunflower seed, in a threat toward a common redpoll that had just landed nearby. Click. Then it flew away.

A black-capped chickadee held a sunflower seed, showing what we feed here. We get what are called Semi-hulled sunflower seeds, preferably black oil, but this last batch looks to be mostly striped. They like those, too.

With each seed, black-capped chickadees fly off and land to hold the seed against a branch with a foot and peck it into tiny pieces to swallow. Redpolls eat more efficiently, they gather in dense flocks and work shoulder to shoulder chewing up sunflower seeds in place. A flock can go through a lot of sunflower seeds in a short time that way.

Red-breasted nuthatch    Hoary redpoll   Redpoll
By working in flocks, redpolls overwhelm the competition. Yesterday, a female hairy woodpecker that is several times larger than a redpoll, tried to hold her ground as redpolls landed 10 inches away, but as the air filled with redpolls swirling overhead and landing close, the woodpecker flew away. Within seconds her spot was covered by redpolls.

Chickadees and nuthatches stay away from redpoll flocks but are ready to dash in for their share when the wary redpolls spook and fly off briefly before returning. Although red-breasted nuthatches don?t try to dominate a flock of redpolls, they easily dominate chickadees. The nuthatch?s long slender beak that can probe into bark crevices also serves as a formidable weapon against single birds of comparable size.

Backpacker Magazine did an article on the recent movie ?The Revenant,? at http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/bear-attack-revenant.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #4910 on: February 27, 2016, 05:20:02 AM »

ruesgram

« Reply #4911 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »

Hi Cal! I did the same as you...quit reading the update when Dr Rogers mentioned the hare! I know the goshawk has to eat but I don't need to read about it. I did read the article about the bear in the movie The Revenant. Go back and read it if you passed it by. Very interesting and no real bears were involved.  Still no car! Now he says Monday for sure. Robin was livid. There's still hope for the missing key. One of the tech guys that is on medical leave because of a hernia may have locked it up in his tool box. The manager says he'll call him and see if he can stop in the shop and search his tool box for it! Why didn't that fool do that a week ago! What a mess.  On a brighter note...today Hyacinth and Richard took an educational trip into countryside searching for Iron Age remains! Rose and her married fellow, Edgar, had a fight so she decided to become a virgin again! :D

Hi Jp! Hope your Saturday is a nice warm sunshiny one! The sun is shining here today! Yay! But our temps are only getting into the high 40's. Tomorrow 60's! Love the relaxing polar bear and Shannon!

Have a nice day everyone! Bbl!

dlongkc

« Reply #4912 on: February 27, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »

Hi Jewelies!  :)

Nice and sunny here today! It's supposed to get up near 70 degrees. I hope all of you who had the bad storms this last week are doing ok. Ra did you have some bad thunderstorms? Obsver when I saw the snow area on the maps, I thought you must be getting some snow. Hate to say this, but we really need some moisture here. (Sorry Cal)

I sure do like those Redpoll birds; aren't they cute? And they are so pretty!

I haven't been doing much this week except working on my interviews. We sure do have a lot of people who want German Shepherds. That's a good thing! I also had a kidney stone this week, so I felt pretty awful for a couple of days.  :'(

That shooting out in Kansas was horrible and now they have arrested a woman for giving the shooter the weapons. He couldn't get them because of his criminal record so she provided them to him. What kind of person does that???!!!!!

I'm going to lunch today with my daughter, my sister and whatever neices and nephews are available for a late birthday lunch. We're going to Rancho Grande Cantina for Mexican food. I really like this place. Their food is good and they have wonderful Margarita's, although I only have a sip out of someone else's drink. I would love to slurp down an entire Margarita or two!  ;D

I have a couple of calls I need to make for the dogs and I need to order some prescription refills before I get ready for lunch, so I better get going.

Here's a video of little Bei Bei from Thursday. He is just so cute! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFRPgYYTyg

And we haven't seen much of Bei Bei's sister, Bao Bao so here is a little video of her. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWNvfo5DSp8

Just some quick pics I got on Facebook that I thought you might like.

This sea lion is at the National Zoo. He is waiting for a nice fish!

This is one of the Atlanta Zoo twins. Not sure which one.

Do you guys remember Mr Wu from the San Diego Zoo? Well, he is still pretty cute and here he is upside down.  :D

Hi to all of you wonderful Jewelies and visitors. I hope you are all having a great day!  :)

calhound

« Reply #4913 on: February 27, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »

rues! i just googled the oscars and my movie the martian up for best picture and matt damon the astronaut in it up for best actor! i will be rootin for that!

obsver446

« Reply #4914 on: February 27, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »

Sunshine & warmer today! Rues, I'll be happy to share this weather with you, just as long as I  can keep some of it!  No more Black List until April 7. That just doesn't make sense. Mr. O & I are going to the church hall for a supper & ballroom dance at 5:00. Wish me luck--he hates to dance--the food will be good, though! lol lol   bbl Good to see all of you!!!!!!!

ruesgram

« Reply #4915 on: February 27, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »

Cal, I went with Crow to see Star Wars in 3 D! I loved it. Oh my gosh it was awesome in 3 D! Loved the little droid BB8! I'm with you, I did not like what happened to Hans! Crow thinks some how he'll come back!  I hope so. Now I'm going to watch all the other movies. Crow says he'll watch them with me. Robin wasn't feeling well this afternoon and didn't want to go, that's why I went.  I haven't watched the Oscars in years. We don't keep up with what movies are playing. Today was the first time we've been to the theater in a couple years! I have never heard of some of the movie stars out there! :o Hope your guy and movie win!

Dlong, thanks for the videos and pics! Love them all! Hope you had a very nice birthday lunch!

Obsver, how cool...dinner and dance! Will you be dancing a waltz?  Hope you and Mr O have a fabulous time! Thanks for sending me some nice weather! I'll take all you can send!

Have a nice evening!

obsver446

« Reply #4916 on: February 27, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »

Hi, Jewelies!  Had a wonderful time tonight. Mr. O danced the slow ones, and for the fast ones, we all got out and danced, no particular partners. The food was good, too! Rues, I'd like a whole series of days like we had today. Now that's not too much to ask, is it? Cal, you are a sweetie!!!!!  If I tried to dance a waltz today, I'd probably get dizzy and fall down.Age does strange things to you.  The mattress pad is turned on to high. Hope I don't ache all over tomorrow. Dlong, sounds like you are busy. Goodnight, all!!!!

jpalmken

« Reply #4917 on: February 28, 2016, 04:38:21 AM »

Lily and cubs relaxing at a feeding station.

I had one of those nights where I could not fall asleep.  I am worn out from tossing and turning. I'll just loaf in bed and see if I ultimately get a few winks.

Happy thoughts to all.  Enjoy this Sunday and make appropriate preparations for the extra day  tomorrow.

calhound

« Reply #4918 on: February 28, 2016, 05:37:37 AM »

Bear people said this..Tonight was "Date Night" for Dr. Rogers and his beautiful wife Donna. No update tonight. - LG

calhound

« Reply #4919 on: February 28, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »