Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1065585 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28485 on: May 24, 2024, 09:06:16 AM »

4:36  Wow! good time for me.  I guess it is because I know what a bike looks like.  Really nice again today.  That is good because I want to take Karen to the Rib Burn Off at the fair grounds this evening.
Had a good dinner visit with Karen last night.  I beat her at poker.  She is a beginner but getting better each time we play.  I won all her pile of change.  So we quit.
  Got home early, but stayed up watching the three late shows, and even the two after them.  Now having trouble getting going.  I need to start though, because I told my friend I would pick him up at 11 to go to brunch with our classmates from high school from 67 years ago.  Yikes!  Well I told you I was old.
So CUL EV1 GBU and all who are sufferring today.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #28486 on: May 25, 2024, 06:13:39 AM »

hi you guys its 51 60 in the barn 53 in ice 76 in kviv

hi joho did you and karen go eat at fair grounds? yesterday i was coming out of the barn and i looked back at indys pasture and up in the sky i saw one of my turkey vultures i also saw one of my barn swallows they have a nest on front porch ceiling and one down below on that ceiling to walk out basement i saw that little barn swallow fly up and bump that tv a few times.  tv kept on flying away barn swallow came back to porch. everyone okay tv maybe you should fly up higher i just went to the tv cam and got a peek at new baby! i hit print screen

its right in front of i will say mom i saw that broken egg shell other day is there just the one joho?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/86055D5C8508?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28487 on: May 25, 2024, 10:45:04 AM »

7:00 minutes. Wow Got my glasses on, but they are not working very well. LOL  Nice overcast day today and not too hat.  Karen is going to her girl's house to "pull weeds" all day.  She should drop off my left over bag from the rib burnoff last night.  We could not finish all the food I bought for us even though it was all delicious.  I will have it for lunch today.
I just looked in on the TV family, and saw two adults and two babies eating.  I saw no egg shells around.  I am not sure this was live footage, because it was beyond the red line.  Now I can't find them two babies.  So I don't know what is up.  One or two? I did see them again at minus 49.62.  So, yes two babies, and the egg shell is gone.
Yes Berea Fairgrounds. It was really hot.  They had fifteen rib tents, a live band, lots of carnival atmosphere, lots of seating, and a very large tent with tables and chairs.  Very nice.  We went through downtown Elyria on our way home.  The center of town was blocked off for the high school band playing on the courthouse steps.  We parked in a nearby bank driveway and listened to a few songs. Nice experience. Very Summery day. The Lorain County is celebrating it's 200 anniversary this weekend. Now I will go watch the baby animal show.  I love Sat. morning shows.
CUL EV1 GBU

calhound

« Reply #28488 on: May 26, 2024, 06:19:44 AM »

Bear Awareness Week - UPDATE May 25, 2024

Cupcake, Twinkle and Snowball
Snowball
Snowball

It’s the last day of Bear Awareness Week, and I can’t think of better words than what I saw online: “Be aware of what a sad, lonely and boring world it would be without the presence of these magnificent, powerful, Polar bear near Churchill
Polar bear near Churchill
beautiful, and intelligent fellow beings. Give them space. Show them respect. Strive to coexist. We can learn a lot from bears.”

But for us who read this, it is hard to come up with a day that is not bear awareness day. The best thing I could think of to do for this day is post pictures of good memories of our North American bears. The polar bear picture is a memory of a day near Churchill back in late October 1982 when this bear showed me polar bears are not what I’d thought. Mom and cub with open mouths
Mom and cub
It approached, saw that I was a human, lost interest, and looked off beyond. It’s the good memory picture that is on the front of the Bear Center.

The brown bear picture of the mother and cub was taken as light was waning at about 10:45 PM in Katmai National Park. The mother ended her foraging and spent quality time with her cub. Seeing their interactions was a fond memory and for the people in my group that we still remember back some 25 years ago.

These pictures of Snowball and her two male siblings are my favorites of this day. It’s the first time I’ve seen them on their own. They came to the right place. In the one picture, they were nice to all look at the camera.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28489 on: May 26, 2024, 06:27:58 AM »

calhound

« Reply #28490 on: May 26, 2024, 06:37:43 AM »

hi you guys its  raining here but i saw earlier huge winds did lots of damage just little down from me and turned and headed farther on down! sorry for those people no power shoed state trooper showing streets signs blowing away so thank you for making that turn i tell you sick of this weather showed texas getting slammed again with tornados

hi joho todays is our friend marges birthday i went to tv cam and i did see two babies and all is okay there no big wind

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/58055D4BDC8E?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28491 on: May 26, 2024, 09:59:42 AM »

6:41  Will visit graves today and leave a stone at each.  BIL (Bill), MIL (Florence), Wife (Joan), Mom (May), Dad (Angus), and Big Brother (Bruce).  I will pray for each, and send photos to relatives to remind them.  Who knows if the departed are aware of our visits? I believe they are. 
I looked in on all the cams.  EV1 looks normal to me. 
So I will say bye for now EV1 GBU all.
PS: I did send a greeting email to Marge.  Thanks for reminding me.  You know she helped my little Mary enjoy a visit to Dublin about four years ago.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:32:56 AM by johoward »

calhound

« Reply #28492 on: May 27, 2024, 06:19:18 AM »

hi you guys its 59 here rained yesterday but not right now. i think no rain for next few days i cant believe it hope it is true rain back thursday friday getting closer to winter with every day.  :)

i checked on tv cam babies getting fed

hi joho i feel bad to not go to my dads and my brother and both my grandparents grave today or yesterday it is way out in kansas and i cant get around very well anymore and i have so much too do my mom sister susie boobie ashes are downstairs in a hutch my dad did not want that he wanted to bury at our family cemetary so i did that. my dad picked out everything he wanted i remember taking him over there broke my heart too. i miss my dad miss all of them  i use to go but now i would have a hard time

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/40055D4DEB10?z=0

calhound

« Reply #28493 on: May 27, 2024, 06:23:07 AM »

johoward

« Reply #28494 on: May 27, 2024, 07:09:07 AM »

6:26 Good morning EV1.  Happy Memorial Day.  Rainy day today.  Rain lasting until noon then tapering off to let the sun dry things up. 
Yesterday was great for all the services I saw. I sent pictures of all the graves I visited to all of my family contacts.  That means I sent them to Elyria, OH, Bay Village, OH, N. Ridgeville, OH, and  California on the mainland.  Also to Oahu, Hawaii.
  Then at dark when I got home we were blasted by wind and rain for just a little while. I told Debbie and Karen that storm was near.  Karen is afraid of storms.  She was at her girl's house working all day, and did not know the storm was coming until I sent her a text asking where she was , and was there shelter there?  She was glad I let them know.  They went to another house where they had shelter. Then the storm passed them up and went to Pittsburgh.  So all was well around here. A tornado had been spotted within 20 miles she said. Too close for comfort.  It was a helpless feeling for me to be so far from those I would like to keep safe.  All I could do was rack the storm on the weather channel and send updates to Karen and Debbie.  It was a fast moving and narrow front . So it went by even before we had a chance to do much.  That was a blessing.
God Bless those in the path who were not so lucky as we.
I will go now and start my day.  GBU EV1

johoward

« Reply #28495 on: May 27, 2024, 08:18:30 AM »

Hi again EV1.  I am trying to find some den cam videos to show Debbie how the paws ans claws of the new cubs stand out.  I cannot find any.  They are all gone.  I don't know where else to look. Any ideas?
In the meantime I am looking at her butterfly larvea and eggs in her dill plants.  Help!  I like baby bears better. Also our eagles are doing good this morning.  As are the TV babies and geese.  GSB Falcons are taking this summer off I guess.  First time for me to see this happen. 
Bye for now.  Rain has stopped fyi.

calhound

« Reply #28496 on: May 28, 2024, 05:32:19 AM »

Memorial Day, Thankfulness, and Bears - UPDATE May 27, 2024

Snowball and brothers
As we honor the sacrifice and loss of those who died in the military, I feel thankful for the lives we have in America the land of the free.

Flag at Bear Center
Flag at Bear Center

On the bears, new reports today are of two mothers, each with two cubs, that the team will be comparing with pictures for identification. Here is a picture of one of them I was sent for a start. We’ll be looking for chest blazes, eyebrow patches, behaviors, sex of cubs, etc.Unis
Unis

Andrea’s yearlings are still together peaceful as ever, as Andrea herself is probably off making scent trails for males to find and follow. The yearlings still have their winter coats with temperatures in the 70’s F and not beginning to shed. I’m curious to see how Snowball’s distinctive face changes as she sheds. I’m still learning about yearling social relationships after family break-up. One reason that all is peaceful among Andrea’s three is probably that there is only one female. If there is more than one female yearling, they often become competitive after family breakup as they begin to carve out their own individual sub-territories within their mother’s territory. They then expand their sub-territories each year to eventually become their own territories if the mother can shift her own territory to leave space for them to give birth to their own cubs.

Quaking aspen branch
Quaking aspen branch

On another note, a herring gull stopped by holding this branch, set it down to eat, and then picked it up and flew off. Is the branch nesting material. Whatever its reason for carrying it, it was nice of the gull to show me that some quaking aspen branches still have female catkins that will soon be releasing fluffy seeds that can blow far in a wind. That is how they spread beyond the local clone in which all the trees grow from a single root system and all are of the same genetics and sex.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28497 on: May 28, 2024, 05:46:18 AM »

hi you guys its 59 here no rain  :) i got to go pretty soon pick up groceries at walmart head over to harps grocery get some stuff.  i saw this i remember steve hartman on the road doing this story what a touching one too. taps just make me cry i remember it at my papas funeral my dad my uncle kenny https://youtu.be/DHO3p7hetVM

hi joho hi paulie hi alice

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/DB055D4F7333?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28498 on: May 28, 2024, 07:43:26 AM »

5:24 Did good today.
Had a good rib dinner with Debbie and her ex John yesterday.  Talked about a lot of interesting things.  John is a good talker, and a good doer too.  I worry about them, because they both still smoke. John has been a heating and air man for many years.  He told of the many adventures he has had on roof tops and in crawl spaces.  I have often wondered about how these men can do what they do.  For example picture being on the roof of a tall building tuning up an old air conditioning unit.  Suddenly you realize that you had too much coffee while waiting for the parts to arrive.  What do you do?
I did not see Karen yesterday.  She was away with her daughter.  We did talk a little last night.  I called her on my way home from Debbie's.  We talked for about an hour.
I did watch a lot of TV throughout the day. Even after midnight often coming back to "The Band Of Brothers" marathon about Easy Company paratroopers in World War II.  They were the first unit to come into Hitler's Eagles Nest retreat.  Very well done movie.  Shocking images.
Well ,I will say so long for a while and GBU EV1.

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #28499 on: May 28, 2024, 09:25:07 AM »

hi paulie! yesterday i was telling indy wonder where paulie is at? he said who? so big hi to you! anytime now the raccoonies will be bringing in their kids so more mouths to feed. at first the moms are kinda rude to the kids you eat right there not here where i am eating then a month later kids are rude mom you eat way over there this is mine!!

Hi Cal, You made me chuckle about Indy. I imagined him looking at you, coking his head to the side saying What? Who? LOL Tell Indy I say Hi to him.  :)

Your racoonies sound cute. Mama racoon is tough on the kids at first. I guess she needs to be. You take care of lots of animals and wildlife!!