Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1117281 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27930 on: January 19, 2024, 05:15:07 AM »

hi you guys its 2 here wind chill is like -10 21 in ice 33 in kviv and 50 in the barn. we got snow overnight not just a dusting like channel four said now they are saying different. i had to shovel my sidewalk to the barn but the part that is out in the open no smokey or house or barn just out the wind blew it over the sidewalk so i did not have to shovel that. i used my lighter weight shovel and my walker so takes me awhile to do that.

hi neva i hope gina brought jack in or at least got him a blanket yes poor little donkey im sure she did something. i remember new calves being born and being so cold ron and dee brought them in the house i know gina has a big like mudroom i really think her and husband brought him in their  granddaughter loves jack always worried about him she has shown me videos of her grand and jack together that little donkey loves her too.

hi joho i hope you are up ate pills getting ready to hit that snowy trail please be careful. good luck today let us know when you get back home.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BD055D5CF053?z=0

gb all animals
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27931 on: January 19, 2024, 05:25:18 AM »

I am up. Lots of white here too. Will check in later. HAGD GBU

johoward

« Reply #27932 on: January 19, 2024, 07:52:54 AM »

5:02 Nice to get an early start.  Went about five miles, and turned back.  Way too slippery.  I must be getting old.  This is the first time I have ever turned back.  Glad I did.  Debbie wants me to skip it all together.  She used to assist this type of procedure, and says it is just a money grabber thing when done for my diagnoses.  She is in general negative on most of the medical industry.  She has seen most of it during the last 40 years, and is left unimpressed.
I will look on my chart and try to find a report to share with her for opinion.  She says if it is not Melanoma it is not dangerous. She said things like Basil, or something like that, is not a threat at my age.  She said the procedure could take up to 6 hours, and leave me with a scar on my forehead as big as a DVD.  This was a small ugly brown warty looking skin tag.  Right now it is a nice flat bee bee sized scar.  That is to say it matches the rest of my old spotted head.
I will not strive to reschedule, unless they call soon and tell me something different.
I will take Karen to the doctor at 1pm today.  She has a follow up to eye surgery, and roads are terrible.
CUL EV! GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #27933 on: January 19, 2024, 09:29:16 AM »

hi joho good you turned around if roads still bad turn around again tell karen roads too bad she is your friend she will be okay with that im not feeling well at all jim went to finish johns furnace he did barn chores told me to lay down he is afraid of my heart i dont feel like drinking or eating tired i took heartburn otc pill took a hit of pepso i felt better at 3 am weather lady going on about colder temp snow shut up freezing rain monday i thought oh no powelones i feel poorly
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27934 on: January 20, 2024, 05:17:34 AM »

Fox vs Fisher and a Confession - UPDATE January 19, 2024

Red Fox
Last night, "Eyes of the Night" caught a picture of the good fox about 11:25 PM as it looked into the darkness. Tonight at 6 PM it was big action with him as he came for big food and showed who is the boss of the second floor deck. It started this evening with "Eyes" calling "Come foxy, loxy, doxy; Come fox." Red fox w/ham fat
Red fox w/ham fat
Within a minute he was running out of the woods and up the steps to the second floor deck. To his and our surprise, the female fisher had just come up a tree but had not yet come into our sight. He saw her, though, and immediately tore after her as she ran back to the tree to quickly descend. Red foxes can’t climb trees, so she had an easy escape. But with the temperature nine degrees below zero F, she wanted some of the calorie-rich ham fat to burn through the night. Whatever she was thinking, she wasn’t done. She knows what we put on the second floor deck, so after the fox carried the biggest piece down the steps and off into the woods, she was quickly back selecting the next biggest piece to grab and go. Shortly she was back, grabbing another piece as the fox arrived and went after her again. Fisher female
Fisher female
Carrying it in her mouth, she made it to the tree and down to safety. I don’t know if that was enough fat for her or enough of being chased, but she didn’t return. The fox, however, made trip after trip burying good calories off in one direction and another until he called it a day (or night) with more still available on the deck. I was going to say we’ll see if any is left in the morning, but at this very minute (9:34 PM) the fox came back and is back to work carrying and burying. We’ll see if he takes it all this time.

I hadn’t known what would happen if the fox and fisher met. I was surprised at the fox’s confidence in going after her without hesitation, considering the fisher’s reputation. It might be different, though, if he meets the big male fisher.

Common Redpoll male
Common Redpoll male

On a more peaceful note, the first Common Redpoll I’ve seen this winter appeared briefly yesterday. This lone, beautiful male landed in the perfect spot where my camera is aimed and ready. He looked at me and posed nicely in the sun as I reached for the button but flew the moment it clicked. Redpolls are among the tamer birds as is most common for birds of the boreal forest, and I’ve had many land on me at once, but it seemed to be the camera click that made him fly.

The confession is that the wolf in the update of January 15 is a coyote. He or she was back today offering a better look at its size, tracks, and the shape of its ears and muzzle. What they told me is that I have a correction to make. (we corrected the update)

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27935 on: January 20, 2024, 05:25:39 AM »

hi you guys its -6 here wind chill i think it was -13 36 in ice 28 in kviv and 50 in the barn i am so happy both little fisher and the fox got that ham fat and did not hurt each other. shoot jim is up in the bathroom kitchen is just  not big enough for me to do my feeding of dogs and cats and him in there so i better go i am still feeling lousy maybe just a tad better but not much really

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/72055D5626A4

gb all animals

calihoula

« Reply #27936 on: January 20, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »

hi you guys joho are you still taking karen to doctor today? raven houston game on 4 something you will be for ravens right?  :) i did litter boxes fed cats again when i did it earlier after barn chores etc i laid back down for almost two hours jim did barn next time i was going to lay down now but sitting in kitchen. resting i went from doing everything getting behind to now resting alot.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #27937 on: January 20, 2024, 02:14:10 PM »

7:21 Hi You all. I did not go out yet today.  It is cold and clear with some wind.   I did take Karen to the Doctor yesterday.  Streets were good by 1PM, when we went.  There was a heavy snowfall whilst we were inside.  We did do a few scary donuts on the way home. Front tires are aggressive and good in snow, but back tires are kind of smooth.  They were never good for snow.
We stopped at a favorite bakery of mine.  The parking lot was loaded with snow.  We got some great cranberry muffins.  The baker said she was so not busy she was closing early, and heading home.  She gave us a big flat ring of bakery she called "pumpkin spice" kuchen.  I just had some for lunch and still have a lot left.  It is pretty good, but I have no-one to share it with today.
Cal, please be well.  Take good care of yourself. Know that we are praying for your comfort and strength.
Cal I will root for the Chiefs.  The Ravens' owners moved Cleveland's football team to Baltimore to become the Ravens.  The owner, Art Modell, was mad at Cleveland for something and ran off.  The city owned the name, "Cleveland Browns", so it stayed. There were no Cleveland Browns for several years.  So I will never be a Raven's fan.
GO CHIEFS!!!!!
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #27938 on: January 21, 2024, 05:32:55 AM »

hi you guys its 7 here 28 in ice 29 in kviv 50 in the barn we under winter advisory again for tonight and tomorrow as temp rise today like 32 i think rain moving in freezing rain so roads be awful in the early morning and ice means power outage around here i am so stressed over that so forget the 50 temp if that happens. try to make it down an icy sidewalk try to drag that extension cord to the barn for lights and radio which right now the way i feel i cannot see me doing that. maybe have jim take it today if ice he will not be able to drive to ford so he can get up help me maybe the power will not go out what a big break that will be.  i was feeling better for awhile yesterday afternoon got caught up on furnace stuff he has done but again not feeling so well. niece jeanne calling me at 9 am i promised her i would talk to her so no going back to sleep

hi joho our local news showing chiefs landing in buffalo and reporter in kc bar and grill in buffalo full of chiefs fan and buffalo fans saying they are happy to see them be happy when they leave with a loss. showing niagra falls looked so cold hard to believe people have gone over that  news also said first time chiefs had to go elsewhere for playoffs in patrick mahomes era so that says alot. it says to me lots of missed catches interceptions bad calls etc. yes go chiefs you will need it.

gb all animals

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BA055D56ABFF?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27939 on: January 21, 2024, 02:57:28 PM »

Having bad luck with this Reply thingy.  This is my third attempt.  Also being told phone is waiting for connection, and that I must turn of airplane mode. The only thing I can do is watch TV.  So I am watching the game and Diehard. LOL CUL EV1

johoward

« Reply #27940 on: January 21, 2024, 03:50:38 PM »

8:09 finally got er done. Now back to Diehard and second half of lions game.  CUL EV1.  Go Baker!!!!

calhound

« Reply #27941 on: January 22, 2024, 05:33:09 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here 22 in ice 28 in kiv and 50 in the barn it was spitting rain when i came out of the barn earlier big ice in places so far not here i feel asleep during the chiefs bill game woke up at 1 am and nfl channel was reshowing it so i watch it close game but yay chiefs win it. now ravens are next.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/AA055D5783F8?z=0

gb all animals
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:53:23 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #27942 on: January 22, 2024, 08:46:09 AM »

5:06 Good morning.  Yay Chiefs!
Starting to warm up today.  Some snow today and tomorrow.  Then Rain and no doubt spring flooding from this January thaw.  This is not new around here.
Yesterday was all football again.  Did not see anyone all day.  Plus phone got itself into "airplane mode", and did not work until about 9PM.  Today I may have to go out for milk.  Will likely be in most of the day.  I will just watch the weather channel all day, except to go for mail.
Now for some coffee and cereal.  No paper to read with breakfast.  So maybe read some misc. loose end stuff like pill papers, or phone instructions, or Longfellow, or etc.
Sure hope everyone stays safe from the terrible ice storms all over.
CUL EV1  GBU, Israel, and Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27943 on: January 22, 2024, 02:30:26 PM »

hi joho ice hit here sidewalk terrible sliddin all over but on walker so i stayed upright roads icy  no going anywhere here either i do good to go do barn chores saw ron desantis quit worked on our tax stuff

calhound

« Reply #27944 on: January 23, 2024, 05:28:43 AM »

While Bears Are Giving Birth Out of Sight, Other Wildlife Appears Here - UPDATE January 22, 2024

Lily and Hope in the den in 2010
On this anniversary of Lily giving birth to Hope in 2010, my thoughts are about Lily and other bears I hope to again be able to study as we did together in that wonderful time that I consider the pinnacle of my career.

Coyote digging
Coyote
Meanwhile, it is other animals that are active here. Today, the first excitement was seeing the coyote digging in the snow between the roots of a tree. I eased open the door and clicked a picture when he or she had its head in the hole. I stood perfectly still with the camera braced, hoping not to be noticed some 50 feet away up in the second floor doorway. After being out of contact with its surroundings as it dug, it stopped and looked in all directions, watching and listening. Coyote digging
Coyote digs
Then I saw his eyes lock on me. I clicked again, but rather than focus on me, it continued to look and listen in all directions and walk away. An hour and a half later he was back wary as ever. Through the window, I saw him focus in various directions as before, start toward the digging site several times, and finally just walk over to the driveway and disappear up over the hill.

Mink
Mink
More excitement followed. The mink that I think is spending a lot of time in the garage and under the front deck of the cabin was out and actively digging into the snow just 20 feet from the WRI cabin. He or probably a she from her size investigated several areas, disappearing for a few minutes. Then, she was suddenly back and running up the stairs to the food on the second floor deck. I haven’t seen a mink do that for over a year. She apparently has been quietly learning the program. Her timing was right on. There was an unusual bonanza to be had today, and she took full advantage. Over and over, she found a piece of meat to her liking, ran down the steps to stash it under the deck and within seconds was running up for another piece and another for a total of over 20 trips in about 29 minutes. As she hurried about, I tried to see and photograph the shape of the white patches on her chin, throat, and chest to see if this was a mink returning from the past or just now learning. The closest I came to seeing her patch was in a single picture of her passing by. Otherwise she kept the shape of her patch a secret. I suspect she’ll be back a lot once she depletes the major stash she put under the front deck.

Mink
Mink runs to stash meat

The fox was here for an hour last evening eating and burying pieces of meat until "Eyes of the Night" spied the reason for his wariness. Another fox. Shortly, she saw one of them racing away faster than she’d ever seen anything run. Then the other fox came by running almost as fast but it was too dark at 8:45 PM to see which fox was doing the chasing.

Later, the female fisher put in her appearance to complete this day of action.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center