Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1118737 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27900 on: January 13, 2024, 09:51:20 AM »

January 11 at 3:00 PM  ·
👵Written by a 90 year old!!❤️
🤙42 lessons life taught me 💖
It is something we should all read at least once a week! Make sure you read to the end!
Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio.
"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 42 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I've ever written. My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short – enjoy it..
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. Save for retirement starting with your first pay check.
9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
11. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
12. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
13. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it...
14 Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
15. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
16. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
17. It's never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
18. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
19. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
20. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
21. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.💖
22. The most important sex organ is the brain.
23. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
24. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
25. Always choose life.
26. Forgive but don’t forget.
27. What other people think of you is none of your business.
28. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
29. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
30. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does..
31. Believe in miracles.
32. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
33. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
34. Your children get only one childhood.
35. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
36. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere. (I love this one)
37. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
38. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.
39. The best is yet to come...
40. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
41. Yield.
42. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #27901 on: January 13, 2024, 09:59:17 AM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27902 on: January 14, 2024, 05:31:19 AM »

The Fox is Back!!! - UPDATE January 13, 2024

Red Fox
Sometimes I’m glad to be wrong. It was a wonderful surprise that the nice fox everyone around here likes to see turned out to be alive and the same as ever. It’s been nearly a month since he was seen around here on December 14. Another fox came a few times but was very timid. When a fox appeared, I figured it was him or her so I was careful in taking pictures so as not to scare it. Then I noticed the unusually small amount of white on the tip of the tail. Could it be? I opened the door. It was him! Same as always! I spread the word. People were happy. This is an individual who, instead of running in terror, looks at you with recognition, expectations, and personality. His visits are something to look forward to, and this time he gave me a picture that clearly shows the distinctive white tip on his tail.

Fisher
Fisher

On another topic, I didn’t want to be wrong on the sex of the fisher that visits. I thought he looked big enough to be a male, but I wasn’t sure. Then came a piece of data. Lorie Kennedy sent me a link to a video of him standing up by a support beam with his head even with a metal band on it at about 2 AM. His tracks were still there yesterday morning. He had stood 29 inches tall. Was that tall enough to be a male? I knew who to ask. Professor Roger Powell lives just 10 miles away. He has come full circle from where I first met him 50 years ago when he was working for Dr. L. David Mech at the USFS Kawishiwi Field Laboratory here near Ely. From there he went on to become one of the top fisher experts in the world and a long-time Professor at North Carolina State University. In 1982, he published the authoritative book on fishers entitled ‘The Fisher: Life History, Ecology, and Behavior.’ Now in semi-retirement, he has moved back to Ely, is one of our advisors at the Bear Center, and shares authorship with us on bear papers, which is another area of his expertise.

Fisher
Fisher

I sent him a couple pictures and gave him a call. Fisher tracks
Fisher tracks
He immediately knew from the measurement and the shape of the head that it was a young, nearly full-grown male that I can now refer to as a ‘he’ with confidence. Thank you Roger.

Today it was good seeing the fox. Yesterday, it was good to learn the fisher’s sex, and both days were a joy with our two daughters and grandkids here to make everything more exciting.

And thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Cente
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27903 on: January 14, 2024, 05:51:17 AM »

hi you guys well our furnace not working and it is -15 here real feel like -30 something barn cant keep up it is 28 in there propane not getting thru to the furnace jim thinks a value is frozen he left to go to the city and get a bunch of electric space heaters this weather is awful be this cold for awhile  :( but i was happy to see doc update fox is okay  :) omg i just heard our weather lady katy horner say it is 40 below on real feel. this is so bad for all the animals and us i hope our pipes do not freeze too

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D7055D56B286?z=0

god get rid of the cold temp please and bless all animals

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #27904 on: January 14, 2024, 09:06:09 AM »

jim called our propane guy cause he was sure it was our propane tank so guy said yes its your regulator frozen we got tons of calls this morning pour hot water on it his boss called told jim to do that and he will be out today add stuff to keep from freezing again so i micro water jim went out did that came in went downstairs to try furnace it worked! now he is heading to barn put in new circuit board and relay in that furnace

johoward

« Reply #27905 on: January 14, 2024, 10:03:03 AM »

6:23 Pretty cold here too.  Wind makes it feel much colder. 6 degrees and breezy with only a trace of snow and partly sunny.
This is the hard part of Winter for everything and everyone. God, please help us to find and help those in need of comfort.
Homes and especially older homes are in danger of frost damage everywhere.  I have only been out of heat due to gas loss once, and I remember running to Lowes very early the next morning to buy the last electric heater in our town.  I still have it in the closet. 
Others in our town who had water piped into the fridge for ice making etc. had pipes freeze inside the wall.  Then they had wall damage as well as pipe damage to fix.  I will never have water run into my fridge, ever. The sink is always right there five feet away, and an empty milk bottle can be filled with water, easily stored in the fridge if wanted. These bottles of water when frozen also make good ice for coolers. Just sayin'.
I see this morning that the Chiefs did a good job ignoring the cold and beating the Dolphins.  Yay Chiefs!  The game was not shown in my area on any channels I or my host could see.  So we missed it.  Played poker and watched Doc Martin instead.  Next year Brownies.  You did the best you could with who you had.  It was a remarkable season for Browns fans.
Well my second coffee is cooling. 
So, CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #27906 on: January 14, 2024, 08:00:27 PM »

Brick Arch Window ...  31:53   

I hope that everyone is doing alright.

Cal     I feel so sorry for what you went through this morning. OMG!  I would just freak out.

Joho    My fridge is older, but the only thing wrong with it is the Ice-machine unit.  Instead of paying $500 to fix it, I bought a couple of ice cube trays and use them instead.  There is no water running into the unit now.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27907 on: January 15, 2024, 05:46:35 AM »

hi you guys its -11 here 23 in ice  kviv 32 barn is at i dont know very very cold yesterday the barn furnace quit putting out heat no heat at all it is trash so i turned on the heat lamps in there but that is not anywhere like a furnace i put a heating pad in maybes bed she like that pretty good all water is frozen in there i break it alot but not thru the night we bought a new furnace for the barn year and half ago been sitting in the garage now it is sitting out in the barn jim took it out last night and right now he is out there working on it i hope his friends shane comes and helps we really need it going. i went out at 3 am and sweets heating lamp burned out he has another one at the other end of his area indy was standing under his maybe in her bed my barn birds pretty unhappy where is the heat? the man from our propane company came yesterday to add stuff in our tank no more freezing up he said i wonder if that is just for rest of propane in this tank. jim was in the barn he knocked on the door jim been in and out i thought he locked himself out i was in the kitchen yelled just a minute shut up dogs went to open gate in living room dogs all following me get back dogs open the door a little not jim this man who was just the nicest man ever. i thanked him told him jim in the barn i would call him and i had my cell on my hit 9 send jim man is here. so real feel here is -10 i hope that barn furnace gets going today calling for snow later today of course got to snow too

hi joho i know everyone is deep freeze but the barn is really cold no heat and our house was too no heat jim went and got space heaters that did help we put them in the bathroom to keep pipes from freezing and i use the stove for the kitchen. good our stove is electric jim has one of them heaters out in the barn it right by the furnace so he will have a warm area to work on the new one only plug it in when someone is out there but furnace working again huge help yes wind is brutal our house sits alone on a hill. well barn is to one side that does help and long ago me and my mom planted a row of pine trees little bitty ones and every day i loaded up my 4 wheeler with jugs of water and watered them now they are huge and serves as a wind block for the house they are down in the hay field but now big enough to help and gives homes to many birds etc yes chiefs won and it was really cold out there they only showed the game on the peacock i mean we got it cause we live here but you have to sub to peacock makes me mad they did that. all about the dollar we want the steelers to beat the bills so next game will be here again.

hi neva i freaked out over the barn jim freaked out over the house but we learned something new pour hot water over regulator out there on the propane tank easy fix wish the barn would be so easy. i had the weather channel on last night saw like 48 thought wow is that us no i was no it was neva!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D5442B8?z=0

yesterday i was running low on bird seed they are on the sidewalk wanting food all the time so cold i made them corn bread and other stuff too they love warm cornbread going to make some now for them gb all animals

calhound

« Reply #27908 on: January 15, 2024, 05:48:23 AM »

i got key west rick & durty bar cam up for my cats in here to watch just went to it a guy in shorts riding his biclyle just went past

johoward

« Reply #27909 on: January 15, 2024, 09:26:44 AM »

7:13 I am semi frozen. LOL  Bear cams and eagle cams look really cold.  Heard that Buffalo got 41 inches of snow, and they were paying $20 per hour to snow shovelers in the stadium.
 Global warming deniers will be saying, "see, I told you so", today. LOL hope this is helping the polar bears, because it is sure stressing all other animals in the whole continent. Including people.
Hey Neva, you got room for some guests? I promise it is just until Spring.   Are you an animal friendly facility? LOL
Cal it sounds like Jim has his plate full today.  Wish I could help.
I will go out today.  Debbie has three boys over due to MLK day off.
Finally got my phone to send pics by calling Spectrum and getting password for WIFI modem.  Debbie was tickled that she finally got her first ever Emoji from me.  Her is one for you too😊.  Oh I am so techy!
Bye for now CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #27910 on: January 15, 2024, 10:00:31 AM »

johoward

« Reply #27911 on: January 15, 2024, 12:36:23 PM »

New plans.  I will not go to Debbie's today. One of the boys has been vomiting all night.  Poor little Odin is sick.  I hate to not go see them, but it seems foolish to expose myself needlessly.
 Tomorrow I will be with their dad, Brian. So I will wear my mask, and wash my hands.  He is probably the carrier.  LOL
I do have a short list for Walmart after lunch.  It is warming up here.  Already way up to 13 degrees.
Now some lunch. CUL EV1.

calhound

« Reply #27912 on: January 16, 2024, 05:11:45 AM »

A Happy Fox, A New Visitor, and a Wolf - UPDATE January 15, 2024

Red fox eating muffin
Red fox
Red fox
It is nice to again be seeing the fox enjoy his mini-muffin treats. He eats other foods, too, and carries a lot of them far off to cache for another day, but muffins are the only thing that makes him tilt his nose up, close his eyes, and get lost in the enjoyment of chewing.

Red fox chewing muffin
Red fox chewing muffin
A new visitor is a second Fisher much smaller than the male. I emailed three pictures to Roger Powell to see if it is a female, a young Fisher, or both. We’ll see what he says. I wondered what the new Fisher thought about muffins, she (I’m guessing) sniffed each one but only took the meat. To each its own.

Three deer looking tensely into the distance made me look in their line of sight. Sixty yards (according to Google Earth) upwind a wolf standing was watching motionless from behind a bush. The deer hurried off. I wondered if the wolf would spring into action or just let them go. He turned and walked away into the woods. The picture shows the dark spot on the top of its tail that marks the scent gland that might have helped the deer know he was nearby.

Wolf walking away
Wolf walking away
 Fisher
Fisher
As I see the Black Bear Field Courses fill up (23 spaces to go), I look forward to the good feeling of kindred spirits learning along with me as we experience bears and more. The people who work with me feel the same. It always makes me feel good to hear them talking to the bears, addressing them as ‘my friend.’ This area has some of the oldest bears in Minnesota because it is a nature-loving area that gives bears long lives. When I feel most thankful for that in this area is in years of berry crop failures when bears elsewhere are desperate for food and are being killed as nuisances going house to house looking for tidbits of garbage and bird food while bears here are welcomed with substantial food at a dozen diversionary feeding sites and stay out of trouble. Such feeding has gone on here now for over 60 years and is one of the main reasons that Shadow is the second oldest black bear on record at 35 and that cub survival in years of wild food shortages remains high. They still prefer the variety of wild foods, which is why fewer bears visit the diversionary feeding sites in years of wild abundance.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27913 on: January 16, 2024, 05:29:46 AM »

hi you guys its -9 here 31 in iceland and 21 in kviv and 50 in the barn thats right new furnace in and going. i got some happy kids in the barn esp i think maybe and my barn birds we are still hauling water in there i fill up cat litter jugs jim takes out for me water line is down pretty deep but we have heard of others forcing their spickets on and breaking the line we do not want that its just so cold record cold keep hauling it at least i do not have to break it cause barn is heated again. nice update nice doc runs a 24-7 cafe there. i try to do that here too.

hi joho yes do not expose yourself to someone that is sick that is a bad thing for us to do. i hope their dad is not a carrier but is around them so take care i need to go to walmart myself so bad but jim said when he got out yesterday looked at johns furnace our gravel roads was ice his truck sliding so he will get bird seed today i am out going to make corn bread in a minute for them and i have crackers cookies stuff like that. sick of this weather. it will be warmer tomorrow so i will order today pick up in the morning take path that is longer but safer not my usual back back way over that little bridge curvy and very slick. i need lots of stuff. it snowed yesterday so i knew i could not go this morning. but yesterday before it had to snow i was seeing if my garage door would go up not frozen shut and if my car would start so garage door would not go up but i thought when jim tried to open his door to his shop to get the gator out it would open but it was the garage door opener battery frozen in it. so i took mine i the house then did some chores then went back to my car and it went right up it was frozen car did start. pollys car under tons of snow i need to clean it off and start it up later today.  so i better go i got lots to do still need to close books in here get stuff ready for taxes

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/31055D51442B?z=0

gb all animals

johoward

« Reply #27914 on: January 16, 2024, 09:38:56 AM »

5:03 10 degrees and bright sunny day.  No melting.
Doc's winter animals are the best.  He is our window on the woods.  Thanks Doc. Cal thanks to you too for update dog shame and puzzle as well as your daily blow by blow.  You should, in your spare time, right a book. LOL  It would sell.  At least one copy to me. LOL
Hi Neva.  I am staying in as much as possible.  Did make a quick trip to Walmart before breakfast this morning.  I was out of milk and cereal.  Stopped at Taco Bell and at Berger King for breakfast burrito and breakfast croissant. Car picked up a lot of slush from road.  Tried to broom it off in driveway.  I have a Nature Stone floor and it is very hard to clean out winter dirt from crevasses.
Debbie taking Bash to library for reading session this morning.  I won't see them today.  I do have to out at four with Brian.  I will mask up.  I wish I could get my hair trimmed before I go.  Maybe I will ask someone to do it.  I did trim off most of my beard myself for the first time.  It looks ok.  I can't do the sides and back by myself.
Well for now I think I will sign off and get another coffee. CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.