Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1125593 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27135 on: July 27, 2023, 04:36:50 PM »

Boat ...  22:27    104° (1:44 pm)   Sunny w/ low clouds to the east and a bit of a breeze.  We got a Big storm yesterday, late afternoon into evening.  It was wonderful!  What was funny was the various weathermen/women spent the earlier part of the day telling us that we weren't likely to get any rain - that it seemed to be going elsewhere.

I really do hope that all is well with you.

Hi Cal     I can manage to play Solitaire, but am no good at any other card game, been taught Gin Rummy several times, still can't play it.  Larry's people were all good game players.  I had an Aunt who played Mah Jong with her friends.

Hi Joho    I guess I like what I'm used to, Rowboats and Canoes.  They were fun memories as a child.  Now I wouldn't risk it as a non-swimmer.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27136 on: July 28, 2023, 04:50:42 AM »

Great Group and Sharon’s Bear News - UPDATE July 27, 2023

Lucky - by Nick Angus
The reason I haven’t written an update the last few days is that the entire group that filled the Black Bear Field Course that ended today is working to create a bear sanctuary, and we were locked in deep discussion on how that could be achieved. Many questions and a lot to consider.

Now, back in the usual saddle again, I found I was very late in getting Sharon’s Bear News out. With apologies, here it is with great pictures of the ambassador bears in action. I think most or all were taking by Bear Center intern Nick Angus.

https://bear.org/bear-news-july-20-2023

A new update will be posted in the morning so check back on the main page tomorrow: https://bear.org/visit-us/weekly-bear-news-2023

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27137 on: July 28, 2023, 05:08:08 AM »

hi you guys its 80 here today temp will be 102 and real feel like 110 again its 57 in ice 71 in kviv 74 in the barn ac had been running but it was nice and cool in there. water in bucket to the top lots of humidity i had to empty that. 20 raccoonies wanting food i gave them food. everyone wants food just saw on our local news talking about walking your dog on hot pavement what idiots you dont know better than to do that you should not own a dog. you take off the shoes and you walk it. i swear.

hi neva! i like solitaire alot too. on our jaqui lawson christmas advent cal i have it up  on my ipad and sometimes when i am on a break at kitchen table i play it. i like spider two decks at once. i never really played gin rummy i think i was taught it too but just did not play that pitch 10 point and 13 point extra tray and spades pass two cards dont pass. i am not sure what mah jong is i have heard of it not sure. i know i have not played it use to play aggravation with my granny and papa. so aggravating. lol granny played cards with us kids slap jack she loved slapping our hands. checkers im so happy you got that rain!!!! i did not see it on weather channel. i slept hard last night did not go to bed till 8 and got up at 3:15 am  when we were kids we do the paddleboats at sm lake. and use to do floats trips down river in a canoe alot that was really fun.  i cant imagine doing that now and or even getting on a lake period. i dont even ride my 4 wheeler anymore. maybe this fall i can ride it jim and i rode about 3 months ago had fun but i was behind on my chores trying to catch up.

hi joho!

kitchen coyotes going at it better go feed everyone barn kids fed

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/46055D522E70?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27138 on: July 28, 2023, 07:46:47 AM »

8:08 on pink road.  Hi Cal and Neva.
Saw Sharon's news.  Sounds like all is well and natural with the bears. I would like to hear more about a Bear Sanctuary.  Where would it be, and how big?  Who would monitor activity there?  Would radio collars be used to monitor which bears use the area?  Would we start a new clan record?
Did not see Mary yesterday.  I ,for a change, was too busy running around Ohio.  Today again I will be out and about.  It is unusual for me.  Usually I am foot loose and fancy free.  Maybe today I can see her.  I would like to take her for a lakeside fish dinner in Lorain Ohio.  It is always pleasant along the South Shore in the evening. Hope you all do well today. TGIF!
GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27139 on: July 28, 2023, 02:33:39 PM »

hi you guys almost barn time again but its 104 real feel 107 i think. i think its hot under an excessive heat warning oh you think dogs ate lets go out okay girls but cali i am not walking the fence and neither are you you girls just go get back in they ran back for their beds under the kitchen table here by ac vent and box fan blowing on them its hot
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27140 on: July 29, 2023, 05:50:53 AM »

hi you guys its 80 here 57 in ice 77 in kviv 74 in the barn with ac help penny would not go back out last night to hot so she peed in my room at 2 am. she will be going to pee tonight

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7F055D5A01E8?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27141 on: July 29, 2023, 10:41:44 AM »

7:13 That is where Marge lives I think.
well I had the best night ever with Mary. My young friend Billie came over last week Monday and showed her how to run her collection of DVDs.  Last night after a sumptuous meal of homemade chicken pot pie.  Including lemon cake and wine. We went downstairs into her cool lady's cave with all her pets. There are many, and she loves them all. Thanks to Billie, we watched a lot of films she had been longing to see for quite a while.  Several were 3D.  These took a little extra button pushing, but we finally got them going.  Now Mary knows how to use her equipment to play DVDs.  She is elated. Next we will learn how to play her collection of VHS tapes.  Mary said she might have to have these converted to the more modern DVD discs.  Then play them on Blue Ray like we did last night.
 We will do this again soon. Who needs to sleep?  It was after 4am when I finally hit the hay.  I got home at about 2, but had some wash to finish up. Dozed off while dryer was running. Woke up when thunder rolled through and we had deluge.
Now it is almost noon here, and I have not done much.  Mary has some family activities today, so I don't know if I will see her. I hope I do.
CUL my friends. GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27142 on: July 30, 2023, 07:04:01 AM »

hi you guys its 68 58 in ice 78 in kviv not sure on the barn ac was not running  power was out for almost 5 hours yesterday from 11 am till 4 pm generator for house but not barn jim was on ac call in the city they did not have high winds there or no power stuff. i had the dogs out and i was out there with them and i saw black skies and wind getting really cool i looked over at the area between barn and dogs yard and i could see the wind blowing hard got the dogs in and power was out generator running i went out that rain and high winds with extension cord and got it in the barn hooked up lights fan radio it was 79 in there then cooler wind brought barn down to 74 indy confused on low light and stuff but he did good. i called electric recording said bunch of town out including mine said it would be awhile before back on. it rained and cloudy which kept heat down jim came home said good in the city well not good here. and since power out he could not open his garage door to shop to get that generator for the barn. his side door got tons of junk in front of it so no one can open it. it is now in the garage.  just as sun came out and heat back ac came back on so barn was good again getting that humidity out of there is so good got a sick cat my moms cat i got to go

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/02055D59D40C

johoward

« Reply #27143 on: July 30, 2023, 11:27:58 AM »

7:33 seeing the dog and horse friends.
Did not see Mary yesterday, and will not today either.  She is using today to catch up on her housework.
Not sure what will happen here today.
 Just on computer for a while.  Finally got on here. Been up since 6 am watching outdoor stuff. Like "Extinct or not", and shark films. One poor guy had a stroke.  He survived, but was really having a hard time relearning everything from his patient sister.  I think they live in New Zealand close to a lot of sharks.
Been on here for about an hour I think.  Will go soon. I am getting hungry.  Asked an old friend to come to lunch, but not sure it will happen.  I will wait a while and hope for the best.  Don't really have much to offer, but it will be enough I am sure.
Miss you Neva.
Bye for EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27144 on: July 30, 2023, 09:50:39 PM »

Small Dog ...  30:39     103°  (5:42 pm)  Friday afternoon we had a huge storm, one of those 'Microburst' storms.  ... sideways rain, hail...very fast.  Electricity out 'til after 7 am next morning.  They are still working on  repairs and clean up.  It occurs to me that maybe I should stop complaining about the lack of rain around here, we certainly got an overdose.  We got another good storm Saturday evening, but not as wild.

Hi Joho     Your visit with Mary and watching the movies sounds like a very enjoyable time. 

Hi  Cal     Sounds like you got your hard storm too.  I was wishing for a generator. Sleeping was tough with windows shut and cooler not on. 

(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27145 on: July 30, 2023, 10:33:36 PM »

Neva do you have AC in your car?  How do you survive at 106 degrees, and no electricty? GBU tonight and keep you safe. Yes watching movies with Mary was very nice.  She has been waiting a long time to be able to run her equipment like this, and my good friend Billie did it for her.
I did not see her again today, and will probably not see her tomorrow either.  All I can do is text her now and then and FB message her. Just not the same as being with her.
I am fine though.  So thank you God.
 It was great seeing the bears again.  Marge also alerted me that the Irish volunteer girl was working the behind the scenes group while we were watching.  I wish I could have communicated with her but I never got her number when we had supper in Ely's Dairy Queen on my last day.  We did have a nice visit with her and a nice courser couple from N Carolina.  Tomorrow will be her last day at the center.  I will look for her again.  She is a very tall slender redhead.  I think she said her name is Moira Sullivan.
Now I need to sleep. GN GNU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27146 on: July 31, 2023, 05:14:29 AM »

Donna Sets a Record - UPDATE July 30, 2023

Donna - photo by Carolyn
Donna bear, born to Blackheart in January 2000, now holds the record for the most offspring (31) produced by any mother in Shadow’s Clan. With her litter of 3 this year, she beat RC’s old record of 29. Donna showed up at Carolyn’s yesterday, and she sent me this picture of Donna and this video of her 6-month-old cubs coming down from a tree. The first one down is thought to be a female. Carolyn says the last two are definitely males. https://youtube.com/shorts/ptzvr33de0A

RC had her most recent litter (4 cubs) in 2020 with none in 2022. Did she just skip that year? Might she show up with more this year to tie or beat Donna’s newly claimed record? The fact that RC didn’t produce cubs in 2022 and is now 24, makes us wonder if she is done reproducing. The old record for producing cubs was 26 before Shadow broke it by having Spanky at 28. We’re looking forward to seeing her.

Bear on Beaver lodge
Bear on beaver lodge

A different look across the lake this morning was a bear on the beaver lodge.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27147 on: July 31, 2023, 05:27:48 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here 59 in ice 79 in kviv 72 in the barn storming here wind knocked out power not here last night more towards the city but now saying high winds heading here i have to go to walmart pick up groceries. cool pic of bear on bear lodge lodge must have a solid roof on it. wonder what the beavers thought oh no there is a bear on our roof. go run it off.

hi neva having that home generator been a good investment for us. days like we just had thankful it was cloudy and raining keeping barn  okay standing in front of sweets big fan helped it goes thru to indy and he was standing where it goes thru. humidity was still in there ac takes that all out. so now got barn generator in the garage which gets power off generator. and i go in and out my side door all time i am sorry you got that storm weather channel was talking about that i thought neva hope you do not lose your power. how did the dogs do? that is bad no fan no ac have to keep windows shut. yes sometimes watch what we wish for i guess. still you needed rain. we have storms in our forecast almost every day this week. hope you do not lose your power again and thankful you got it back on.

hi joho!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/67055D5BF190?z=0

neva

« Reply #27148 on: July 31, 2023, 05:59:41 AM »

A tree that was toppled at an apartment complex where a neighbor's son lives, last Friday.  He is about 6 feet tall.  It knocked out the staircase that leads up to his second floor apartment, so he couldn't even get up there.  Entirely too much excitement.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 06:06:15 AM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27149 on: July 31, 2023, 06:23:43 AM »

omg neva sad for the tree too. im getting ready to head out did you have straight line winds? must of been many miles per hour
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day