Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1221708 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26925 on: June 11, 2023, 06:40:34 PM »

Kebab Sign ...  26:59     91°   (3:19 pm)    Sunny and windy.  Supposedly, at the end of this coming week will be three days of 100+ temperatures.

I hope that all is going for you as planned today.

Cal  ...    I miss JP.   What a really nice man he was.     Are those snakes that you get large, and do you know what kind they are?   

Joho ...  It sounds like you and Mary are having a great time.      Since you have Amish friends, I should ask you this question.  Do you know what Pennsylvania Dutch means?  Is it anything like Amish.  I thought you might have heard that term. My Larry's mother was part Pennsylvania Dutch.  Her grandfather came over from Germany and married a young woman from that background.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #26926 on: June 11, 2023, 11:29:53 PM »

Neva,
  I have always considered the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch the same.  If they are different I don't know in what way.  "Pennsylvania Dutch" may refer to the basically German  Amish vocabulary.  I am not sure, because you could speak German without being Amish, but if you are Amish you do speak German.
Joan really liked Emma and Jacob.  We were welcome in their home any time, and went there on many occasions.  Joan's favorite thing to do there was to rock Emma's latest baby.  Emma had eight babies before they moved away to Wisconsin.  Joan rocked them all.  Through the years we got to know them fairly well.  We bought a cupboard one time and the shelving was not quite what we needed in some way.  So Jacob made us some additional pieces of shelving and support pegs.  He was very good with woo and many other skills.  Once they need to get to and from a bus stop in our city. So we drove out to their home and took them to the bus stop.  Jacob told us when the bus would return and we waited there a few minutes and took them home.  They took only one of their many children with them on this ride.  I often wondered how they selected this one little girl to go. If I remember i will ask that question when I see them on July 2nd.
Neva I miss JP too.  Somehow I reached out to him toward the end.  I think I sent a letter to his home.  A little while later his daughter contacted me to let me know what had happened.  She was very nice to me and was appreciative of our friendship for her father.  I think she briefly chatted either here or maybe on the Pond Cam.  I am not sure which.  I also think she lived nearer to you than to JP.  Again it has been a while and I am not clear.
Getting late here so I will say good night and GBU now.  I will not CUL EV1. LOL

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26927 on: June 12, 2023, 05:42:59 AM »

hi you guys its 52 here and really foggy i need to go pick up groceries in this fog i hate fog long ways to drive and even longer in a fog but ordered them last night and out of dog food almost cat food barn cats eat alot well howler does she is feeding looks like 3 im pretty stressed out over all that.

hi neva two of those snakes are milk snakes they are not poisonous looks like a coral snake which is but not found in mo still get out of my barn

other is a garden snake black not poisonous either which is good cause when i could catch them it got me but it did not hurt i am not able to catch anymore so snake away my only hope unless sweets should get it or indy snakes are pretty scared not much for them to go hide.

hi joho jps daughter came here to jewel yes i think too she lives closer to neva first time he went in the hospital me and ra called the police said had not heard from him they did a check let us know he was in the hospital i called there and talked to jp. i miss him very much not watching any baseball not the same without him. he would of gotten a kick out of patrick mahomes. i have all his emails to me

i saw on the world news at 2 am cbs not only did putin blow up that dam but ukraine people trying to get out in boats with their kids and pets russians shooting at them. i swear ukraine has taken back four cities raised their flag but harder ground is coming but also they have not used many of their special troops and weapons yet. still hard for them. be nice if st michael statue came to life and appeared right in front of putin and struck that pos down with his mighty sword.

god please help ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D0055D523DE5?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26928 on: June 12, 2023, 08:22:35 AM »

6:05 Wow what a great night. Rained all night.  Wind came up this morning, and is rapidly drying up the streets out front.  I would like less wind to allow grass time to absorb some moisture.
Did not see Mary yesterday.  I wanted to, but she is living her normal life and I am intruding.  So I have to be patient.  Maybe today.  I sent her some messengers, but It is still early for her.  My neighbors wind chimes woke me early, but I don't mind.
  Did get to visit Debbie though last evening.  I got lucky in that Brian brought our sweet little Odin and Abby, Shannon's lab, for the night while I was there.  So many wonderful tiny hugs I got. WOW!
I felt so blessed.
 Debbie and Odin had already eaten, but Brian , Shannon, and I had not.  When Brian and I left, we went to Chipotle, and he coached me on how to order.  I am new there, and needed his help.  Worked out great.  I got a too large serving of good tasting food and was able to pay for us all like a grampa should.  Later I got grateful texts from Shannon.  She was really appreciative.  The dish was too large for my apatite.  So I will have a good lunch too.
I will now try to get a plan for today started that I hope can include Mary.
Thanks for being here and HAGD EV1.  GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #26929 on: June 12, 2023, 06:11:46 PM »

Corinthian Rose ...  38:55     90°   (3:55 pm)    Sunny and breezy

I hope all is well with all of you.  I'm doing okay.

Cal  ...  We have Coral snakes here.  The rhyme is:   'Red touches yellow, poisonous fellow'.  I've seen two of the snakes that your photo shows killed because we couldn't remember that rhyme and didn't know that it was harmless.  I felt bad when I realized that.  I phoned an expert out at the Desert Museum and was told that the snake that was in the playroom closet was some kind of a King Snake.  The other one was killed by my brother-in-law when we were hiking in the mountains.  I did try to stop him from killing that one because the snake had room to go his own way and was not bothering us.

Joho  ...   Thanks for answering my question.  It seems that you are right.  I did find some info online and it said that the Amish used to be called Pennsylvania Dutch, and that referred to 18th Century German that they spoke, from when they first came here.   We don't have Amish settlements here, that I am aware of, but we do have Mennonites.  It also said something about them originally being Swiss.   ??

(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #26930 on: June 12, 2023, 07:57:21 PM »

Yes Neva you are right too.  Ohio Amish came from a Swiss church called Anabaptist.

calhound

« Reply #26931 on: June 13, 2023, 05:14:53 AM »

Bear Center Buzz and More Babies to Come - UPDATE June 12, 2023

Sharon Herrell
At the Bear Center, Scott did these two 5-minute videos about progress on the new fence, enclosures, and dens that are coming along well thanks to your many donations that made it possible. Thank you!!

Senior Bear Keeper Sharon Herrell is waving from one of the new dens—I think to say she approves of it for her bears.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.edgett.1/videos/814327823562245 and https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/1469430543876284

Bird nest w/bear hair
Bird nest w/bear hair

A nice addition for a new little exhibit is something found by one of our 8 new interns, something I’ve only seen once before (here at the WRI)—a bird nest lined with bear hair—another little thing bears give to their ecosystem.

Deer at dusk
Deer at dusk
Deer eating leaves
Deer eating leaves
Another treat at the Bear Center is baby woodchucks newly emerged in front of the viewing windows as in this 3-minute video caught by "Taught". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjf0aHzHqn4. Here at the WRI, I believe we’re going to have some of the same, having seen a lactating woodchuck and a lactating raccoon. Those new lives will be in addition to the cubs whose mothers who will be bringing here where we can continue the records of their clan—Shadow’s clan.

Doe deer
Doe deer
Doe eating leaves
Doe eating leaves
Out the window, a doe that may have a fawn nearby is lit by the setting sun as she fills up on forest leaves.

Thank you for helping with the Bear Center improvements and thank you all for all you do.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26932 on: June 13, 2023, 05:43:30 AM »

hi you guys its 52 here 56 in ice 63 in kyiv and 61 in the barn. those baby woodchucks so cute like the baby raccoonies out in my barn or that new mom cat out in my barn saw her 3 kittens yesterday out behind the barn by the hidey hole big construction equipment at the center too.

hi neva i feel bad those snakes were killed too and your bil big shame on him snake would of taken right off not poisonous i googled the kingsnake Are king snakes in Arizona poisonous?
Kingsnakes - Fort Bowie National Historic Site (U.S. National ...
All kingsnakes are non-venomous, but their appearance mimicking that of a dangerous coral snake helps them avoid becoming a meal to mammals and birds of prey

they too look like coral snakes but everyone should know that saying and respect it.

hi joho you must live very close to your neighbors for wind chimes to wake you from sleep. i would not like being so close and believe me no one would want to live that close to me and my big mouth dogs or my big mouth telling them to shut up or jims big mouth. lots of big mouths around here.   :)  this morning i have to mow the dogs yards. yesterday jim mowed indys back pasture that he does not use anymore and he also mowed indys new smaller pasture he mowed out front on his zero turn dixie chopper he really moves on that i was in the barn doing chores and he came in said he would pick up indys poop but i said no i got it and then he said he hit a rock and spun out from under his mower and hit the brand new truck put a dent in it took off paint. he was upset. so i finished my chores takes me about an hour and half went out and went and saw the truck its on the passenger side door area its a small dent looks like could be popped out and painted. i told him to call collison bob he said he thought about that see what he would charge paying cash he also called ford plant see if someone could fix it there. dont mow with blade on jim around our cars and trucks.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F8055D5C32C4?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26933 on: June 13, 2023, 07:44:28 AM »

Gotta skip puzzle and get going today.  Lots to do to get ready for a Friday wedding, and I have to report for jury duty screening at 1PM.  I was looking forward to serving for the first time ever, but my Friday wedding of Joan's brothers only son will probably get me disqualified today.  The lady said I must bring my invitation at 1, but did not say why.
Not much to report for yesterday. I did order some new tires for my trip to Ely in July.  They are in and waiting for me today, but I can't see getting there yet.
Did not get to see Mary, but we did text some.  She is has been on her own far longer than I, and has created a nice life.  While I am still just running around fishing and what not.  I must adjust and will.  This jury thing is not helping.  The Friday wedding is some distraction too.  Deb says I should go to the barber and get neatened up some.  I will try to do that before jury duty today.
Very sorry about the new truck dent Cal.  Jim must be sad too.  Of all the things for the rock to damage it had to be the newest one.  Once I was Mowing the shallow ditch in front of my empty lot at our first home on Fairmont St.  After I mowed the ditch my neighbor across the street approaches me kind of aggressively.  He he says, look at my window.  He was reading the paper in the sunlight inside his front window when I sent a rock clear across the street and through his window. Yikes !!!  No injury, and I don't know who fixed the glass.  They were good neighbors.
Bye for now. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26934 on: June 13, 2023, 09:25:56 AM »

hi joho just mowed dogs yard did load of laundry cleaned barn fed everyone. jury probably having you bring wedding invite show you are not a liar im surprised you would get off for that. i thought you bought a new car for ely trip if jim should go before me i would never marry again or date. lots of women like being own their own i think that is harder for men to do. jim was mad rock hit truck i wasnt i figure sooner or later stuff gets scratch dent but being so new jim will get it fixed. when we went to pick it up jim thought he saw a teeny tiny spot on it dealer rubbed it right off now it has a dent paint gone no rubbing that off it will be okay. wow your rock thru neighbors window! good no hurt and now in these crazy times could of came storming out and put the hurt to you. you dont mow anymore do you?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #26935 on: June 13, 2023, 05:54:32 PM »

Lake Bike ...  22:37    90°  (2:56 pm)    Bright and sunny w/ a mild breeze.

Cal ...   King snakes are harmless in Arizona.  Does your state have Rattlesnakes?  I am thinking that everyone does.  i was walking along a path with a friend in Arkansas a few years back and looking at them as we talked, and then looked forward again at the path and was about to step on a Copperhead.  I did not kill the snake, he was where he was supposed to be, I just picked up a small pebble and threw it, and he disappeared to the other side of the path and into some tall grass.

Joho ...   That's amazing - there is no way a person would be dismissed for Jury Duty because of an invitation to a wedding here.

(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26936 on: June 14, 2023, 05:27:32 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here 57 in ice and 72 in kyiv 62 in the barn.

hi neva! yes we have rattlesnake and copperheads here too. once i had a copperhead out in my garage. i could walk then i had a box and held it up that snake was watching me the whole time but it went into that box and i shut the lid put it in smokey took it down the road let it go. you did right on your path that snake in its home and just a pebble enough to scare it off. they are afraid of stuff. will take off. but backed into a corner like anything protect its life. there is no way anyone here would get off jury duty with a wedding invite no matter who was getting married. joho is over 70 so really he should not have to go if he does not want too.

hi joho did you get all your stuff done yesterday?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/35055D4D96E4?z=0

calhound

« Reply #26937 on: June 14, 2023, 05:32:18 AM »

turkey vulture kids sleeping no parent around falcon mom sitting outside box one kid hey you got some food or what.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #26938 on: June 15, 2023, 01:39:01 AM »

This one's b-i-g  !

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...

Celebrate with RRP at After The Fledge 2023!
June 14, 2023  RaptorResource

https://www.raptorresource.org/2023/06/14/join-rrp-for-after-the-fledge-2023/

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

calhound

« Reply #26939 on: June 15, 2023, 05:25:47 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here wow 61 in ice and 76 in kyiv 64 in the barn 

kitchen coyotes going at it one of my moms is sick so ive been giving her meds i think she is better this morning but not saying for sure dont want to mess it up. want her better. she is pretty old. mom dont come get her yet.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/6F055D4E176F?z=0