Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602082 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25695 on: October 18, 2022, 05:25:04 AM »

hi you guys its 26 and clear here cloudy and its 46 and cloudy in iceland 50 in the barn. good news that lily is okay and her cubs. hope every year less and less hunters.  on the farm radio station out in the barn saying about kids getting a deer and they could win a firearm  >:( how stupid is that and with all the school shooting that should be against the law to encourage such stupidity.

hi joho i was going to watch some of the indians game but it was in a rain delay then i went to sleep did they play that game?

GB Ukraine GB all animals and GB all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/39055D593FE9

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25696 on: October 18, 2022, 06:40:23 AM »

Game will be played today at , I think, 1 pm.

johoward

« Reply #25697 on: October 18, 2022, 10:13:41 AM »

No Game is not  at  1, but later.  I think I heard it is after three. Just checked not until 4:07.  Go tribe!

neva

« Reply #25698 on: October 18, 2022, 06:53:16 PM »

Camel ...  26:39    80°  (4:07 pm)    Sunny, clear skies, wonderful breeze, it's a beautiful day.

Hi you two - and anyone else who stops by here.  I hope all is well for you.

Hi Cal, It's interesting how much colder your area is than is than Iceland is, at least on this particular day.  I sat here the other day, looking at pictures of Iceland, and was surprised how green it can be during the warmer seasons.  Some even have sod houses, with greenery growing all over them, even on the roof.  Pretty neat! 

Hi Joho ... I hope your game went well.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:57:15 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25699 on: October 18, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »

neva i love that house! so does my friend alice she is a guest here i know colder here than iceland i read about this deal trapping stuff from plants tree reusing it for heat i thought how neat where is that it was iceland! house is awesome thanks for posting that! an icelandic horse could mow that
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 08:11:01 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #25700 on: October 19, 2022, 05:15:40 AM »

Lily, a Moose, and a Memory - UPDATE October 18, 2022

Moose - trail cam pic 9-21-22
The area where Lily has been seen lately reported no sighting, so I believe we were lucky to catch her on the day she walked to a den and called it a year.

Also today, Lorie checked a trail cam that caught a moose walking by on this property. I haven’t seen a moose for months, maybe over a year, but the moose on the camera coincides with an obituary I received today that the world’s moose authority, known as ‘Alaska’s Moose Man’ and the ‘Maestro of Moose’ died just a day after the moose was caught on the trail camera. Mention of Dr. Victor Van Ballenberghe brings back memories of 1969, the first year of my bear study here in Minnesota where he and I shared a cabin, a vehicle, and our mutual advisor Dr. Albert W. Erickson in the Department of Ecology and Behavioral Biology at the University of Minnesota. Doing field work together that year, he was trying to radio-collar wolves for his Ph.D. after doing his master’s degree on moose, and I was trying to radio-collar black bears. He was great, but we had very different studies that required different size study areas. Poor Vic was stuck helping me process many bears in the big area he needed to capture wolves, and I was spreading my radio collars too widely to get data on territorial overlap, and population density of bears. So we got a second vehicle so we could both do our best work. It was an exciting time and nice talking with him over dinner about our days. His obituary tells how he tried to do for moose what I try to do for bears. We had a good start together.

“Victor Van Ballenberghe
Nov 12, 1943 - Sep 22, 2022

Victor "Vic" Van Ballenberghe passed away on Sept. 22, 2022, at the age of 78, after battling numerous health issues. Vic was well-known and highly respected in the wildlife conservation community for his tireless efforts in advocating for sound science to be applied in decisions regarding wildlife management. Because of his four decades extensive study of moose and their behavior in Denali National Park, Vic was affectionately known as "Alaska's Moose Man" as well as the "Maestro of Moose."

Vic was born on Nov. 12, 1943, in Bayshore, Long Island, N.Y. At the age of 5, his family moved to a dairy farm in upstate New York, where his love of wildlife and nature was nurtured. After graduating high school, he received a degree in biology from SUNY at Oneonta. In 1967, he entered graduate school at the University of Minnesota and went on to earn a Ph.D. in wildlife management in 1972.

After two years on the faculty at South Dakota State University, Vic accepted a wildlife research position with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to determine the impact the trans-Alaska pipeline had on moose. He was stationed in Anchorage, Glennallen and Fairbanks. In 1980, he joined the research branch of the U.S. Forest Service and conducted moose and wolf research in Denali National Park and on the Copper River Delta while based in Fairbanks and Anchorage. He retired in 2000, but continued his Denali moose study for many years thereafter.

Throughout his career as a wildlife biologist, Vic authored and co-authored over one hundred technical journal articles, book chapters and symposium papers. Several of these publications received awards of merit from professional societies. In addition, he published many popular articles, including one on moose in the August 1987 edition of National Geographic magazine. He also authored numerous newspaper opinion pieces on controversial wildlife management issues. His knowledge and experience about "all things moose" were sought-after by film crews including the BBC, National Geographic, Animal Planet as well as other filmmakers, photographers, park rangers and park bus drivers.

In 2004, Vic's book, "In the Company of Moose" was published. It contained over 120 of his color photographs accompanied by a text describing his experiences with moose as a field biologist. The final chapter, "Death of a Warrior," previously won awards for creative nonfiction and was widely acclaimed by many who read it.

Vic was a "boots on the ground" field biologist and believed that in order to properly research wild animal behavior, one had to spend time in the field and patiently observe the animal in its natural habitat and he spent hundreds of hours doing so, always fascinated and prepared to learn something new.

In 1985, Vic was appointed to the Alaska Board of Game by Governor Bill Sheffied. He served one full term on the board and two subsequent partial terms in 1996 and 2002. Vic was a strong advocate of scientific evidence-based wildlife management and he fought hard for sound conservation of predators including bears and wolves.

Although serious and reserved, Vic had a great sense of humor and an incredibly dry wit. Spending time talking with Vic was educational, enlightening and absolutely delightful. He was intelligent, well-read, very thoughtful and interested in a variety of topics. He was an avid nature photographer and his wildlife photographs were published in numerous magazines, books and calendars. He was happiest in the out of doors and seldom missed his daily walk.

Vic was a man of great integrity and followed a strict code of ethics and was authentic to the core. He followed his true internal compass and remained resolute and unwavering on his principles. Vic touched many lives both personally and professionally and will be deeply missed.

Vic is survived by his wife, Linda Masterson; daughter, Andrea Bradford (Craig); son, Jonathan Van Ballenberghe (Sharon Wahl); grandchildren, Kaia and Cameron Bradford; and several nieces and nephews. His ashes will be scattered amongst those of his late mother, father and older brother, on a hill overlooking the former family farm near West Fulton, N.Y., a place he loved, returning him from whence he came.”

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25701 on: October 19, 2022, 05:25:07 AM »

hi you guys! i love that moose what a loss with dr rogers friend Victor.  :( i hope his family will take over helping with the moose. its 23 and clear here 46 and cloudy in iceland and 50 in the barn.

hi joho i did not have time to watch that game but saw later indians lost  :(

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/FD055D4DA37B

johoward

« Reply #25702 on: October 19, 2022, 06:28:08 AM »

8:02 on the poppy pic.
Good morning  Rainy and cool this morning along the South Shore of Lake Erie.  Thinking of day tripping to see what colors are left after two long rainy days.  Shared a few local Autumn scenes with Mary on my flip phone yesterday.  She was impressed, and she has an artist's eye to judge and is not easily impressed.
Now thanks for being here.  GTG coffee and rest of morning ritual is waiting. Glad I don't have to mow the roof. LOL
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #25703 on: October 20, 2022, 05:26:23 AM »

hi you guys its 42 and clear here 45 and light rain in iceland 50 in the barn.

hi joho fall colors are really pretty right now we got that big wind other day took down a bunch of leaves so now it looks different around here. scout and his group was still here yesterday hanging close lots of them now i am guessing they are getting ready to take off for the winter will be 70 today and 80s this weekend so nice traveling weather for them.  i watched some of the phillies game and it was good too pades came back and won it.

hi neva! got our tax stuff to pay in the mail yesterday. gets higher every year. the school really cost alot too bad cant send the girls there.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/95055D4CBA8A?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #25704 on: October 20, 2022, 08:02:58 AM »

neva liz truss resigned and huge petition to bring back boris! :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25705 on: October 20, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »

5:59 Good one for me.  Mouse working better than usual.  I have emptied history on several search engines this morning.  I did not know you have to do them separately until today.  "Too soon old.  Too late smart." the Amish say.
Just saw Liz Truss resign on TV. She may be number five or so in the last year or less.  UK has a problem with their system I think.  Russia will take advantage of UK instability.  Unstable UK government is  bad for the world.
 Come on, you bunch of mumblers.  Get it together over there.  Also, while you are at it, put captions under all your TV shows so we in the colonies know what you are trying to tell us.
GTG now.  GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25706 on: October 20, 2022, 03:58:30 PM »

hi joho! i hope uk still fully support ukraine! putin sick keeps dreaming up more horror. world let this get out of hand us too now how long will it take stopping putin from air bombing would really help he cant win on the ground air defense weapons send them now everyone that is for good. when i watch pbs always have close caption on my keeping up appearance love that show got most of them recorded i watch one have to laugh. its got close caption.

gb ukraine gb all animals gb all of us

neva

« Reply #25707 on: October 20, 2022, 05:08:30 PM »

Oak Creek Canyon (Arizona)  29:45   88° (2:27 pm)  It's a lovely, clear day; no wind and on the warm side.

Hi you two ... and any visitors here.  I hope your day is going well.

Cal ... That is surprising.  Do you suppose she doesn't care for her meetings with Charles?  Guess what, at 3 am, I put my bedroom TV on, PBS briefly, and there was Hyacinth.  I was too tired to watch it,  Too bad they don't show it earlier. Have you ever watched 'Doc Martin'?  The show that I really like is the one about the older couple, the woman is Judi Dench, she has short white hair.  I can never remember the name of that show.    Ahhh ... the show is, 'As Time Goes By'

Joho ...  Yes, there's that ... mowing the Sod house ????  Maybe one could get some very furry goats, mountain goats that can climb?  They would probably eat too much off the roof ... and I am only kidding anyway, but I do wonder how they manage it.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 05:50:33 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25708 on: October 20, 2022, 07:35:28 PM »

hi neva wow oh you would like hya keeping up! its on at 6:30 pm saturday night only here yes i like as time go by too! rues loves those shows and no i have not seen doc martin but rues really likes it too she loves pbs its her go to usually i like the weather channel go to sleep watching it usually or hgtv i did not know puzzle today in az Oct. 20, 2022
Updated 11:00 a.m. ET
LONDON — The rapid political collapse of Liz Truss ended as she announced her resignation on Thursday, a little more than six weeks after she became Britain’s leader. Her agenda had floundered, her own party had turned on her and commentators widely speculated on whether she could outlast a head of lettuce. She couldn’t.

calhound

« Reply #25709 on: October 21, 2022, 05:18:05 AM »

Wolves, Beavers, Deer, and a New Beauty - UPDATE October 20, 2022

Wood duck
We love it when we can see a wolf, but we seldom do. A distant neighbor who has had more luck over the years shared a video of four at once last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJoecPmeYN4 A mother bear and cub were there, too, but no problem. In this nature-loving community, wolves come and go, but I’ve never heard of a problem. This neighbor has a picture of a wolf and bear peacefully lying down eating only a couple feet apart. A good memory of wolves near Ely was years ago at a rendezvous site where a pack would leave their pups and return with food for them. Somehow, people heard about the spot and the wolves became accustomed to people. I eventually heard about the place and went there hoping for a picture. No wolves were visible, so I turned to photographing shorebirds and a pond there. I never heard a thing as a wolf returned and maybe 30 feet behind me surprised me by howling for its pack mates. Another time, I was sitting quietly in my vehicle when a few wolves came by, pausing just 6 feet away to eat raspberries, which I didn’t know they ate. I don’t know of anyone ever being attacked by wolves in this area that is the best known area for having wolves in the 48 contiguous states.

Beaver Lodge
Beaver Lodge
Birch chewed by beavers
Birch chewed by beavers
I’ve been watching the progress of at least two beavers mudding their lodge and creating a winter food cache next to it. When the morning sun hits the lodge, I often take a picture of it from my desk 0.11 mile away. The picture this morning faintly shows a half dozen ducks resting on the food cache. Deer eating whithered maple leaves
Deer eating whithered
maple leaves
Then I discovered that a birch tree just 45 feet from the WRI cabin will likely become part of the food cache if they work fast enough to beat the ice that briefly skimmed much of the lake the last couple mornings. The birch is almost ready to fall toward the lake where they can easily harvest branches to provide bark and cambium through the winter.

Deer
Deer
This morning, a deer was eating maple leaves that had wilted instead of turning color and falling. I hadn’t noticed that before, but the deer did.

Along with the hundred or so ducks that visit the yard is a new beauty—the prettiest duck I know—a male wood duck. His bill, head, breast, and markings could not be more beautiful in my mind. I’m glad he and his mate joined the flock.

Bear sightings are few now as they become more nocturnal and are turning in for the winter.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center