Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 630394 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25230 on: July 11, 2022, 05:27:56 AM »

More Cubs, Josie Seen, and Woodchucks - UPDATE July 10, 2022

Another clan mother with cubs has been seen. It is 10-year-old Vanna (daughter of Dot, granddaughter of Blackheart, great granddaughter of Shadow), and she has three cubs that people are hoping to learn their sexes soon.

Still waiting for a sighting of Lily. A person would think that a bear this comfortable with people would be the first one seen, but we know it doesn’t work that way and are remaining hopeful.

Josie by Ken Hupila
Josie by Ken Hupila

Local professional photographer Ken Hupila got an excellent picture of 2-year-old female Josie (daughter of RC, granddaughter of Shadow) who had part of her nose bit off. We haven’t seen this bear since she was a yearling. She was about nine miles away with another bear, presumably a male, and apparently doing fine. Females don’t usually disperse that far, but there is a bell-shaped curve on that and some do, which presumably is why we haven’t seen her. It is good to see that she survived and is doing okay.

Out the window, the mother woodchuck and one of the babies posed close to each other with the baby in the background almost as big as its mother. Both were eating white clover and maybe other vegetation. Somehow it reminded me of an old chant that I know I’m not getting right but it made me want to say: Greens, greens, the vegetable food; the more you eat the better you feel; so let’s eat greens for every meal.

When the mother stood up, her mammaries weren’t as swollen as I’d always seen in the last couple months, so I wonder how long it will be before the babies are on their own. We’ll be watching.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25231 on: July 11, 2022, 05:32:46 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here 74 in the barn pearl is good 5 mom raccoonies and 7 kids well jim is up and dogs barking have to hurry as usual he won royals ticket at the union meeting and him and justin are going to it this afternoon no i did not want to have to walk all that ways in and sit in the heat no way and i got to take care of the kids.

GB Ukraine and all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/5E055D5730A3?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25232 on: July 11, 2022, 05:33:43 AM »

its 52 in iceland and one day for this month says mostly sunny

johoward

« Reply #25233 on: July 11, 2022, 06:26:50 AM »

4:56 No time to talk now.  See You later.
 GBU and GB U Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25234 on: July 11, 2022, 02:36:02 PM »

hay joho now where was you off too? is everything okay?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #25235 on: July 11, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »

Jousting ...  22:37    107°  (1:44 pm)   Some clouds, some sun, and a good breeze.  Staying in.

Hi you two.  I hope all is going well with you both, and the same for anyone else who reads here.

Cal ...  Glad to hear that Pearl's okay.  I agree with you, I would not be sitting in the sun watching some game.  The hearings start up again tomorrow, but I don't know yet what day after that.  I'm looking forward to watching them.

Hi Joho, I hope all is well.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25236 on: July 11, 2022, 05:45:02 PM »

hi neva its 94 real feel 102 at noon i felt barn not as cool where we got a hose hooked up drain water from ac it runs under dirt floor under front slider out to yard it makes a like a little pond but when i looked not much water coming out so inside i took off that tape took hose off drain deal that sticks out had a bucket and water really came out so then i ran one of pearls bale of hay deal i ran it thru hose outside but it only goes so far and it is 100 plus outside forget that stayed with big poop bucket i go out there enough to dump it only had to dump it once half way full but then could feel really cool air. so sweets pearl good today. i got groceries this morning at 7 am walmart such a big help for me just go online pick them up i always stop at mcdonalds get big cinnamon rolls for whoever helps me get two but if only one pearl sweets gets the other just allisa today when she got stuff loaded up i said here allisa mcdonald sack her face lit up i told her thank you very much for helping me. get myself back home do chores neva i dont know what is going on with trump and that you keep me filled in okay i think trump should be in jail not able to run again think that of putin for sure. ill be happy when july is over at least days start getting shorter sun go down. today is cas birthday he is christmas crazy i posted a happy birthday christmas cake and told him welcome to the 60's rest of us already there
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25237 on: July 11, 2022, 10:05:20 PM »

finally got back here to say good night.  Been watching Marathon Breaking Bad.  Two days now finally over tonight at 10 pm.  Then new Better call saul comes on.  I am a tv addict.  LOL Still better than other addictions I guess.  Just makes me fat.  I did get out for a bike ride today again.

Other than that not much to share.  It was Monday after all.  Was a hot one again.  Almost 90 degrees.  I think some rain coming tonight .

Well yawning now at 11 pm.  So I will sign off and CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #25238 on: July 12, 2022, 05:53:24 AM »

hi you guys its 66 here clear 53 in iceland and raining many raccoonies and babies in the barn. that bucket i left to catch water from drain in the barn was almost to the top! i had to empty some of it from my little bucket to another one toss it out the door.  nicer today and tomorrow then heat back on and pretty bad will be 100 and feel like 110 to 112 i never in my life wanted to live in the desert pretty unhappy and this heat is dangerous if ac is broke. winter you can add clothing coats blanket just getting out the wind in the winter helps.

hi joho i saw amc was running a marathon on breaking bad that was a good show. good everyone was okay.

hi neva i saw something about that steve bannon on the world news at 2 am i have not really watch that watch some local news and weather channel go to sleep. what do think about this?

GB Ukriane satan please come get your weather or putin same thing

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/97055D59A659?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25239 on: July 12, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »

5:28  Nice day. 79 at 9:24 am.  Been riding around the block already, and had coffee.  So I am in the cool now for a while.  I went canoeing once with Joan.  She was in the front.  We went under a low hanging branch and were very close to swimming, because we could not duck low enough to avoid the branch.  The current kept us pinned against the branch sideways to the flow and tipping.  Was last time we went canoeing.  LOL  Don't miss it much.
Debbie had a nice safe trip, but now she is pretty sick with a runny nose and cough.  Boss got high praise from his boarding lady.  She met him a while back when he scaled a high fence when he saw Debbie heading for her car.  She said he was now like a new dog.  I told her it was Deb's training showing.  She said she wanted Deb to train her dogs.  I told Deb.  She was proud of him, but not excited to take a job training dogs.  Boss is enough for her.  He was very happy to be home with her.
OK now I will leave you for a while.  Not sure what I will do today.  Thinking of taking a ride to visit my Eastside cousin, Ken, who lives like a hermit in the woods nearer to the PA/OH State line.  It is about a 45 minute drive for me, but worth it catch up.  He was here not long ago to visit Joan's grave with me.  I like him.  He dose not keep pets, but he feeds the wildlife around him.  He is my age 82 and still works with Amish construction crews.  Even though he has heart health problems.  I feel I need to keep in touch more.  I told him yesterday I wanted to come there, and take him to lunch or wherever he wanted to go.  He said he would call me for the time and day.  I am ready and waiting.  Just sent him a text . 
So now I will thank you all for being here and say CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25240 on: July 12, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »

3:32 long long ago use to go canoeing float trips went on current river group of us bus dropped us off at start point pick us up at six pm end point married to my first husband then boobie married to his brother tom. we get to half way point saw fisherman in the river tom and this other guy named tom also threw their beer cans in the river huge no no and rude fisherman was really game wardon. he called for back up told us to stay in our canoes be back with the toms took them away we waited for hours. decided we better head on down our ride would be there it got pitch dark trying to do that rapid moving river in the dark. i was happy i left my little dog with steves grandmas she lived in town by there. we finally made it to the end but no ride it was ten at night had to walk miles to town get to town the toms were in jail saw a shop had tee shirts said i survived the current river. drove to the jail the toms were digging a hole in back of their cell to get out paid big fine and told our friends see you later and we went to grandmas. last time for current river but not last time canoeing i loved doing that not at night happy i did stuff like that when i was young and able.

calhound

« Reply #25241 on: July 13, 2022, 05:18:03 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here nice out and the moon is back. its 58 in iceland and light rain 3 raccoonie moms and 6 kids. one kid knows i got the cookies. griz hurt his back right leg yesterday when i went to the barn at ten came back in and he was in his bed behind kitchen table and crying could not get up. so i got down on the floor and was able to kinda lift him so he could get up he had peed his bed got him and everything cleaned up gave him one of scooties deramaxx kept the girls away from him brought him water no he did not want that got boos belt and got him up with that. he got a drink laid backed down jim got home and took him out with his belt and griz was better he peed pooped walked the yard. last night we got in his bed in my room and he wanted on my bed then i helped to him to the ottoman next to my bed and on to his ottoman he got up once in the night but not on the floor back on that one ottoman. this morning he got up and went and peed doing so much better thank you god.

GB Ukraine got to go tend to griz get girls out of my room

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F6055D50C4CF?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25242 on: July 13, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »

5:00 Not too bad. Nice here.  Will ride bike soon before heat.  Try to ride every day to keep active.
Cal That canoe trip sounds awful.  I thought mine was bad , but yours was way worse.  I did have one other canoe adventure.  I was camping in Canada with two friends.  We usually canoed below the rapids and out into the lake.  One morning we decided to go up stream to explore and fish .  Two of us got into the canoe with all our gear while the third held the canoe against the bank.  He was a bulky powerful man, but not very coordinated.  When he started to board he lost his balance on the muddy bank, and flipped the canoe upside down.  The water was swift and deep and cold. We were really shocked and trying desperately to gather all our gear while it floated away and sank.  We wound up down stream a ways due to the current.  After crawling out and back to our campfire we dried out enough to try again.  It was an exciting trip.  We were washed into piles of rocks several times due to the current.  Sometimes broadside to the current.  Then we had to get out and push off to deeper water.  We let Tom stay in the canoe.  We had a good trip and caught enough fish for dinner, but did not go upstream again.  Too many shallow spots.  It was a good trip. 
CUL EV1
GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25243 on: July 13, 2022, 11:19:29 AM »

hi joho your second trip sounded good almost everytime we went we tipped our canoe in the water once backed up liked yours water rushing over we went over drifted down stream had our big dog avon dog i went under boobies tom jumped out and got me he was a drunk but excellent swimmer. all of us okay tom best swimmer and he was the only one wearing a life jacket young and stupid was rest of us. my favorite was eleven point river so beautiful not big white water oh jack forth very very calm river but had to get out alot lift canoe due to low water but young then is your breakin bad over?

calihoula

« Reply #25244 on: July 13, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »

2:29 riding the bus