Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 634556 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23550 on: June 20, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »

6;05 on 10.  Not going there anyway.
TV board has been removed.  Amy knows what happened. It was there when this camera first started up.  So I am concerned about accidental falls out this low window.  There is another window to the right, but it is about 4 ft. above the floor. The adults come and go that way sometimes.
Had very good picnic with Debbie and her family.  She got two tables and a grill at Huntington Beach in Bay Village Ohio at 8am.  We met at noon and started cooking.  By 2PM everyone was well fed with picnic stuff. Nick and Odin had been swimming in lake Erie.  We were all happy to be together safely again in the open air park setting.  There were lots of others in the area too with music and kids and dogs all over.  Very nice.  Then the clouds opened up and it poured.  We had to run for cover, and head home to dry.  Still it was a wonderful father's day outing, and I am happy.  Had to keep an eye on little two year old Odin.  He is adventuresome. He wanted to spend his day in the baby swing.  He has an adorable way of taking hold of the finger of the person he wants to help him swing and leading them gently to the swing set.
First was Grampa John, then aunt Shannon, then Aunt Mary, then dad. What a happy sweetheart of a boy.  At one point though he was found licking the big rain drops off the park bench yeeeeew! We quickly gave him some chocolate milk instead.
Boss and Abby will be glad the picnic ended early so they will have company.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23551 on: June 21, 2021, 06:13:35 AM »

hui you guys very nice here 66 wind from the north down to maybe 58 tonight weatherman said short lived but for right now its nice 4 raccoonies did not see any babies so kinda worried about that. tv babies are doing good just checked on them they are in the barn and it is also 66 there wind from the north

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BC055D59223D?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23552 on: June 21, 2021, 06:39:57 AM »

im getting ready to pick up groceries at walmart checked on tv babies parent was feeding then got startled and left
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23553 on: June 21, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »

6;31  nice monday morning here.  81 with rain off and on at noon.  Dealing with back ache and sore knee today.  Back is worse than knee.  Doing rehab moves as much as I can stand.  Still no pain med except tylonal.  With one tylanol PM at bedtime.  Soon to have lunch.  I think it will be homemade chicken soup and ham with cheese on wheat sandwich.  A few chips without dip and a bottle of Nestle flavored water.  Very berry or grape.  Also about 1 tablespoon af left over potatoe salad and some Motts applesauce.

CUL ev1 gb

calihoula

« Reply #23554 on: June 21, 2021, 02:59:47 PM »

hi joho i had vegetarian veg soup and cheese sandwich on wheat few potato chips last night will again tonight might eat a cup of motts applesauce too baby tvs flapping wings getting black in them too.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23555 on: June 22, 2021, 06:19:02 AM »

Summer Bears, Two Losses and Sharon’s Bear News - UPDATE June 21, 2021
Tasha
Tasha at the North American Bear Center

Around the WRI, bears continue to gather as we move past mating season and into summer foraging. This is the time of year when local bears transition from ant brood into berries. If berries are not abundant, they continue to focus on ant brood and tender vegetation. We’ll see what this year holds.

We were sad to hear of the passing of Maureen O’Brien due to covid. Many people have good memories of this lady who used her artistic talent to do so much good for schools and the Bear Center. I remember when she was finishing up her second mural, the one in the Ecology Hall, and was planning a surprise I didn’t know of at the time. She found out from Judy Thon what kind of hat and coat I wear and put me in the mural about 4 inches high in the winter section, telling Judy that she would paint over it if I really didn’t want to be in it. The tiny drawing of a person in a red coat in the distance was so hard to notice that there was no way I’d object, and I felt good toward her for the token inclusion. She was like that. I will always think of her when I see it. Thank you, Maureen.

We were also sad to hear that 11-year-old Star’s cub named Haley who was doing so well after I moved her off the highway apparently didn’t make it. There is no proof, but what I strongly suspect is that what happened to her is the same thing that happened between Lily and Hope. With Star’s litter down to one, little Haley couldn’t nurse enough to prevent Star from ovulating. Eight days ago, Star showed up with a male with Haley nowhere to be seen. Today, Star was alone and likely on her way to another litter in January.

Weekly Bear News teaser

Sharon Herrell's Weekly Bear News was published this morning at 10:00am as it will be every Monday when the bears are not hibernating. To read this week's news, click here!

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23556 on: June 22, 2021, 06:22:43 AM »

Bear News – June 21, 2021
Holly plays, Tasha tumbles, Ted splashes, and Lucky tries to keep up.

Bear weights:

Ted 587 lbs., Lucky 457 lbs., Holly 254 lbs., Tasha 299 lbs. wet (she most likely weighs 295 lbs.)

Fun fact: One color variation of the American black bear is white, also called the Kermode, ghost, or spirit bear. These bears are very rare. Native Americans believed these bears had supernatural power. The American black bear can also be blond, cinnamon, blue-gray and black. You can read more about the various color phases on our website https://bear.org/black-bear-color-phases/.
The bears had an amazing half-birthday celebration on Sunday.It ended with Ted receiving his strawberry pinata and our guests singing Happy Birthday to him. I’m not sure what he enjoyed more, the treats or folks singing to him. Maybe it was equal, many thanks to all.

Lucky

Holly and Lucky were showing off on Monday and it allowed me to get a few cute videos of Holly actually playing and sitting in the pond. Lucky chased her a few times but towards the end he was tired and just walked to where she was.

Ted
Ted

On Thursday things turned to more than play with Lucky and Holly and they disappeared into the forest for private time during the noon broadcast. Sorry folks this isn’t an X-rated update so you’ll have to guess what they may have been doing. Note: Lucky is a castrated male but still very interested in the functions of nature.

Tasha, our little barrel shaped bear, was playing on the mound with her toes. She tried a few times to do a belly roll but couldn’t quite get her body to cooperate. Finally with a push she tumbled head over toes and off she went to play with a stick.

With no rain for several days our waterfalls had to be shut down. Ted decided he could now go into the pond. He made quite an impact on the guests as he twisted and turned splashing water on himself and making great memories for our guests. The children on the deck laughed and giggled as they watched him.

Holly

Tasha
Tasha

Lucky

Ted

Tasha

We have updated our Amazon Wish List with some needed dried fruit items for our bears. Here is a link to our Wish List if you’d like to make a purchase for our bears. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/182N6D1EP5DVM?ref_=wl_fv_le

Items Include:
Dark cherries: Smarty Stop Sweetened Dried Tart cherries 5lbs.
Apricots: Turkish Apricots large 5lbs.
Cranberries: Traverse bay fruit dried cranberries 4lbs.
Mixed Fruit: Traina Home Grown All American Sun Dried Fruit Blend 2lbs.

Thank you for all you do,
Sr. Bear Keeper, Sharon Herrell

calhound

« Reply #23557 on: June 22, 2021, 06:26:09 AM »

hi you guys its 55 here  :) 3 raccoonies no babies

hi joho tomorrow night is the season finale of blacklist on here at 9 pm central time dont forget it

hi rues almost blacklist time!!

Hi Lupe hope you are getting this really nice weather too! what did you think of the french open?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/FD055D513C56?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23558 on: June 22, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »

4:37 I liked this one.
 Going to rehab soon.  New mattress on the way from QVC on July 1.  Sure hope it works on my sore back.
 Very nice day here again.  Clear, bright, and 59 degrees at 10:30. 
Went to Walmart yesterday to recycle my plastic bags.  When I got back to the car I found the bags still on the front seat. LOL. So back I went.  Walking is good for me I guess, but it hurts.
 Wore my mask.  I heard that flu cases were at a long time low over the past year due to covid precautions.  Like the mask and distancing.  Would like to hear some statistics on other communicable diseases like colds, chicken pox, measles, Mono, and any others I can't think of.  I will ask my doctor when I next see him. 
All our babies are well this morning.  FYI   So I will say have a good day to EV!.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23559 on: June 22, 2021, 11:43:41 AM »

3:50 on riding the bike

hi joho thought of you on the puzzle hope your new mattress is a good one will they take your old one and set up the new one? is your house clean? see i would have to sweep more pray cats dont use the litter box right when they got here put girls outside so must be really cold out it is not today leave griz in hope he doesnt pee on the floor sure he would bark bark bark double up cats in my bedroom where i dont know last night i ate cereal has some of my milk left skim milk exp date 6-15-21 smelled okay so i went for it it was okay living on the edge  :) tomorrow is blacklist i ordered a big box of cosco thank you bags use them for used cat litter. pearl says hay
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23560 on: June 23, 2021, 06:11:25 AM »

hi you guys its 71 here 3 raccoonies 2 babies gimme gimme gimme pearl in the back hay gimme sweets ramming his wall gimme good i had a big bag of treats! here here here here

hi joho tonight is blacklist! last night i laid down and checked my movie channels we get HBO but right now also getting free other movie channels you know try to get you to get them too i hardly ever see HBO much less other ones anyway saw michael john travolta so i watched the whole thing been long time since i saw it saw it with my mom long ago was so good loved the part he brought sparky the dog back.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A0055D512F33?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23561 on: June 23, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »

5:41 Pretty good.  Nice 71 and sunny out.  Light breeze so very nice.
  Mattress will come in a box from QVC to front door.  Old one will stay until I get someone that needs one to come for it.  It is almost new, and would suit most people who are lighter than I am. 230 lbs.
Someone hammering around the baby vultures this morning. Can't see them.  Hope they are putting up a barrier.  Baby was already spreading his little wings to practice flying.  LOL Needs some feathers first.
Tasha on pond cam now.  She is so big.  North babies are over across the creek eating something together. 
 GSB baby napping and growing so big.  He will make it I think if blackflies leave him alone.
I am going to get garbage cans in and clean them up from mud. now.  So I will sign off and cul.  GB

calhound

« Reply #23562 on: June 24, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »

hi you guys rain is coming big storms later on today. got to get gas and go to the bank rues joho did you guys watch blacklist luke i am your father

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/38055D53A9C5?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23563 on: June 24, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »

6:52   Could not find blacklist last night.  I think I started too late.  It was almost 8pm.  so what did I miss? Go to rehab again in an hour.  Did not sleep well.  Did go for a nice walk in our park that I could not do last week.  So that's progress.
Babies are well this morning.  Did not look at bears  or Snowman yet. Wow! loud squeaks at GSB falcons.  New delivery has come in for baby, but did not stay.  I guess he is full.
Well GTG so cul and GB

calihoula

« Reply #23564 on: June 24, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »

Toads and Snakes - UPDATE June 23, 2021
Garter snake w/toad
Garter snake w/toad
I saw my first garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis) and first toad (Bufo americanus) of the year today. One was trying to eat the other. It reminded me of a similar sight 49 years ago. In both cases, the toads escaped thanks to the big paratoid gland that toads have on each shoulder behind the eye. These glands secrete bufotoxin—the toad’s main defense. When attacked by a snake, the toad inflates its body, making itself harder and slower to swallow and giving the bufotoxin longer to inflame the snake’s eyes or digestive tract.

Garter snake toad 6-72
Garter snake toad 6-72
In the escape back in June 1972, the 36-inch garter snake was trying to swallow a big toad headfirst. Inflated, the toad was making that as hard as possible. The parotoid glands were inside the snake’s mouth. After a few minutes the snake worked the toad out of her mouth. I say her because the snake gave birth to 37 five- and six-inch long babies a couple days later.

In the escape today, the smaller snake (maybe two feet long) was swallowing the toad feet first and had the legs and part of the body down its throat. The snake moved one side of its mouth forward and then the other on the inflated toad until it ran into the parotoid glands. A few minutes later, the snake worked the toad back out, apparently none the worse for wear.

Garter snake vs toad
Garter snake vs toad
It was a great day seeing bears, too—including Valentine, gentle Fred, many yearlings, and two chases by Valentine of her yearling Dexter. The first was half-hearted. The second was longer and faster, telling Dexter that she (Valentine) had to eat without competition to maintain her pregnancy. Chloe, Lucy, and their cubs should show up soon.

Had a nice talk with Joel Rosenthal today, sharing memories about bears we’ve met, especially his 11-year-old wild bear friend Rose.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center