Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Philippine Eagle  (Read 60513 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Philippine Eagle
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 01:23:12 AM »

Thanks, T40.  Those measurements/comparisons are interesting.  I confess, from the illustration, I am unable to determine the difference between the "Bill Culmen" and "Bill Gape" - they look to me like the dotted lines are pointing to the same spots in that drawing for those two measurements.  Maybe I just need a larger view of that drawing to see what is different about those two.

baz - The gape is measured from commissural point to commissural point (i.e., the edges of the mouth). It's the widest part of a fully open mouth.

The culmen is measured from the tip of the beak to the bottom of the cere, which is what they're referring to as "Bill Height," for some reason. It should be called "culmen length," which is a chord measurement used for sexing eagles. (see attachment)

What they're calling the culmen is a measurement I couldn't find anywhere but it seems to measure from the tip of the beak to the commissure.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:36:37 AM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »

Thanks, T40, but I understand the Bill Height (culmen length as you referred to it today) measurement.  The illustration you posted yesterday includes another different measurement, called the Bill Culmen - it is different from the Bill Height (aka culmen length), and in the illustration from yesterday, it appears to point to the same spots on the Harpy that the Bill Gape points to (I know what the Bill Gape is measuring).  That's what my post was about...  ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »

Thanks, T40, but I understand the Bill Height (culmen length as you referred to it today) measurement.  The illustration you posted yesterday includes another different measurement, called the Bill Culmen - it is different from the Bill Height (aka culmen length), and in the illustration from yesterday, it appears to point to the same spots on the Harpy that the Bill Gape points to (I know what the Bill Gape is measuring).  That's what my post was about...  ;)

baz - I know. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I searched for their so-called bill culmen measurement and couldn't find it anywhere. Don't know what it's used for or how long it's been in use or not in use. Nothing. All I could do was speculate as to what it looked like the bill culmen measurement included, because I disagreed with what you see in their drawing, confusing as some of it is.

I tried to differentiate the gape from the bill culmen. The gape is from corner-to-corner of the mouth, with the bill not even considered.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 03:57:20 PM »

LOL T40... thanks for trying...  if only I could actually say it out loud  ;) :D  ... LOL...  In the illustration you posted yesterday, at the top are the words "Bill Culmen" - I was thinking the dotted lines the "Bill Culmen" label is referring to were from the mouth's corner-to-corner - same as in the "Bill Gape" dotted line - But there are different measurements for both the "Bill Gape" and the "Bill Culmen" listed below that illustration - in addition to, and separately from, the "Bill Height" (aka culmen length) - so I know they are all three separate measurements, as listed directly below yesterday's illustration.  But now, as I look longer at the dotted lines there for "Bill Culmen," I am wondering if it is trying to point to the distance between the ridge of the beak at its outermost point from the face to the corner of the mouth... yes, I think now that is what it is trying to indicate in that illustration for the "Bill Culmen."  Ha ha... Clear as mud, right?  ;) :D   
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 11:16:04 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »

The battle of words continues.

PEF run by people with heads in clouds

http://opinion.inquirer.net/93956/pef-run-people-heads-clouds

T40cfr403

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »

Mt. Apo fire may be out by today - DENR

http://www.mb.com.ph/mt-apo-fire-may-be-out-by-today-denr/

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »

Research communication: Dispersal of Philippine Eagles Released in the Forests of Mindanao, Philippines (Dec. 2015)

(The English and Filipino translations get sort of mixed up together, but all the information is included. It's just a layout issue.)

https://sci-hub.io/10.3356/rapt-49-04-506-512.1

T40cfr403

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »

The battle of words continues.

PEF run by people with heads in clouds

http://opinion.inquirer.net/93956/pef-run-people-heads-clouds

Update: Letter-writer belaboring the point on eagle releases

http://opinion.inquirer.net/94135/letter-writer-belaboring-point-eagle-releases

T40cfr403