Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bald Eagle Trivia  (Read 26864 times)

glogdog

• And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
Re: Bald Eagle Trivia
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »

If you happen to be near Wabasha, MN next week, you must stop by the National Eagle Center where they're celebrating "Bald Eagle Days - the Road to Recovery".  This will take place from June 24-27.  There are a lot of activities and programs scheduled for young and old alike. It's a beautiful place located right along the Mississippi River.  They have "live" Eagle Education programs too daily.  Here's the link:

http://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/bald-eagle-day/
glogdog

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »

Thanks, glo!  I won't be anywhere near there, but I'm going to share this info in other Forum threads for people who might be.  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

glogdog

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »

Thanks so much, baz!  I did visit the National Eagle Center 3 years ago and it is really a wonderful, beautiful place.  I found the "live" eagle education program very informative and that was actually the first time I saw a Bald Eagle "live" and in person.  The back of the building is mostly all glass as it faces the Mississippi River.  To be able to share in all of that AND the "Bald Eagle Days" would be really special. They have a neat gift shop too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:09:14 PM by glogdog »
glogdog

BHscent

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

That is some very interesting facts Glog. I never knew about the coin? A $10.00 coin.

glogdog

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »

hey BH!  Yes - and here is a link to read up about their value:

http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html
glogdog

BHscent

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »

Hey glogdog, The link was a very interesting read. Thank You!

BHscent

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 05:29:38 PM »

Basic facts about the Bald Eagle.

http://www.defenders.org/bald-eagle/basic-facts

glogdog

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »

Thanks so much, BH, for the Defenders of Wildlife Link of Quick facts about the Bald Eagle.  They are a good organization trying to help wildlife any way they can.
glogdog

omasawyer

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »

;) ;)
glog; I really feel smarter now that I have checked all the Bald Eagle facts and read all of your posts. My grandfather was a Navy three star officer and he had a bald eagle on his sleeve and on his "cap". I bet he had some gold coins too. Of course he was in WW1. Just to keep my memory in tact, I will reread all of your posts again. Thank you for putting so much great info in the forum ( and I am glad I found it) ;)
[/i]

glogdog

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 12:28:51 PM »

Oma - so glad you found us too!  As Tina said, "thanks" for your grandfather's service to our country.

Tina - Welcome to you too!   

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:46:10 PM by glogdog »
glogdog

glogdog

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »

Bald Eagles are "Raptors".  What is a Raptor?  Here are some of Scott Weidensaul's answers from Raptors, The Birds of Prey:

"Raptor" is the blanket term used by ornithologists for hawks, falcons, eagles, vultures, and owls.  Eagles are diurnal (day-active) raptors.  Raptors possess feet and beaks specially adapted for hunting.  The feet have long, curved talons, which grasp and kill prey and the beak is sharply hooked for tearing meat.  They are members of the "fish-eagle" clan.  You don't think that has anything to do with Dad building his nest across the street from a hatchery, do you?  ;) :D
glogdog

glogdog

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »

Here are a few more tidbits from Scott Weidensaul's Raptors, The Birds of Prey:

What is the origin of the word, "Eagle"?  It comes from the French aigle, based on the Latin aquila "eagle".

"Aquila" is the Latin name for an eagle, although possibly from the Latin aquilus, a dark brown bird.   

The Spanish word for a Bald Eagle is "Aguila Cabeciblanca".
glogdog

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »

Aigle is the French word for eagle.  It can also mean "superior person" :P
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

glogdog

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

Superior, eburg, as in "Apex"?  :)
glogdog

frehaws

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »

from the painting, Forest Flight by Ron Parker:  (a bald eagle soaring through pine trees)

"The bald eagle is a very handsome bird with its familiar "bald" or white head, powerful yellow beak and talons and an impressive eight foot wingspan. It hunts mostly fish and small mammals, but will occasionally steal a fish caught by another bird, such as the osprey. Living near water, along lakes and large rivers and coastlines, the bald eagle is the only eagle that lives in North America.  This magnificent bird of prey, the symbol of America since 1798, is no longer on the endangered species list after having spent many years there. Its population is starting to return and it has been downlisted to threatened in  the lower 48 states. It is believed that eagles mate for life."

Though not 100% accurate it accompanies the painting.