Chat Moderators > Decorah Eagle Mods Want You To Know -- Entertainment Page

Bald Eagle Trivia

<< < (2/22) > >>

glogdog:
Have you ever noticed a bald eagle scratch itself?  If you look closely next time, I think you'll see that it almost always seems to scratch with the middle talon (that would be digit #3 on the foot).  The back or hind digit is #1, the inner digit is #2, the middle digit is #3 and the outer digit is #4.

glogdog:
Can eagles swim?  Oh yes!!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/video-eagle-swims-to-shore-with-catch-in-its-talons?src=SOC&dom=fb

glogdog:
So what is the difference between a Bald Eagle's Leg and a Golden Eagle's leg?  Well, the feathers on a Bald Eagle do not go all the way down the leg (tarsus) like they do on the Golden Eagle.  The reason for the difference is that the bald eagle's primary diet is fish where as the golden eagle's diet is primarily birds and small mammals.  The bald eagle's lower body often gets wet during fishing, so in order for its legs to dry faster and to reduce drag in the water, the legs, or tarsi, are bare of feathers.  Take a look:

T40cfr403:
Great idea for a new thread, glogdog.

seadogsam posted a photo in DE2015 of a first class eagle stamp (attached) that got everyone talking.

ginger52 googled the stamp and found it had been issued in 1970.

I just had to find out the significance of the 1970 issue date - it commemorated the 100th anniversary of the opening of the American Museum of Natural History in New York. Bald eagles in the lower 48 weren't listed on the Endangered Species Act until 1973, so this stamp was way ahead of its time! Very cool.

glogdog:
Hey T40 and welcome!  I LOVE this stamp! Thank you for posting this very interesting information.  This certainly is a great piece of trivia!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version