Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New developments in the field of science  (Read 196552 times)

T40cfr403

Re: New developments in the field of science
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »

Saving California condors - How citizen scientists and biologists are working together to help the endangered birds

http://scienceline.org/2016/01/saving-california-condors/

Attention, citizen scientists! The California condors need your help!

The California condor is a critically endangered species and the population is suffering from the effects of lead poisoning. By tracking the location and social behavior of the animals we can better detect early warning signs of the illness.

http://www.condorwatch.org/

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »

I was both fascinated and disturbed by this article I saw on Facebook.  Falcons found keeping other birds as prisoners before eating them

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/falcons-found-keeping-other-birds-prisoners-eating-them

I agree, ginger! It's creepy but you have to admire the ingenious adaptation.

This is fascinating... and interesting that it is only done seasonally.  But really, isn't this called farming?  It's amazing that this falcon species has this trait - quite smart, I should think, and not really different than other birds and animals who store their food caches for later use, except that this falcon's food cache is live, because that is what they eat.  It may sound a little creepy, but I don't see any difference between what this particular falcon species does and the common activity of people buying live animals/domestic stock at markets around the world to take home and keep alive in a pen till they butcher and cook it for the family dinner table, as well as people who raise domestic livestock or fowl who also do the same.  My parents as children, and their generation and those earlier, grew up in the U.S. in a time where even in one of the largest cities in the state it was common practice to have a live chicken or two or three in the backyard inside the city, which were kept for later being caught, killed, and cooked for Sunday dinners.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:09:58 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »

I was both fascinated and disturbed by this article I saw on Facebook.  Falcons found keeping other birds as prisoners before eating them

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/falcons-found-keeping-other-birds-prisoners-eating-them

I agree, ginger! It's creepy but you have to admire the ingenious adaptation.

This is fascinating... and interesting that it is only done seasonally.  But really, isn't this called farming?  It's amazing that this falcon species has this trait - quite smart, I should think, and not really different than other birds and animals who store their food caches for later use, except that this falcon's food cache is live, because that is what they eat.  It may sound a little creepy, but I don't see any difference between what this particular falcon species does and the common activity of people buying live animals/domestic stock at markets around the world to take home and keep alive in a pen till they butcher and cook it for the family dinner table, as well as people who raise domestic livestock or fowl who also do the same.  My parents as children, and their generation and those earlier, grew up in the U.S. in a time where even in one of the largest cities in the state it was common practice to have a live chicken or two or three in the backyard inside the city, which were kept for later being caught, killed, and cooked for Sunday dinners.

Yes, you could call it farming.  I grew up on a farm so I know what farming is.  But, they at times injure and mutilate their prey in order to keep them contained.  That's the part that I meant when I said it was "disturbing."

baziunc

« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2016, 05:06:56 PM »

Ginger , I understand, and can relate to that thought.  Hard to think about for sure.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

T40cfr403

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »

Ocean species mix as sea ice melts, with unknown consequences

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/arctic-sea-ice-melting-animal-species-mix/

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »

Grebes at Lake Berryessa show state's highest levels of mercury contamination

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5113946-181/grebes-at-lake-berryessa-show?artslide=0

T40cfr403

« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

Neighborhood watch and more: How reed warblers watch out when there's a cuckoo about

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160122083430.htm

T40cfr403

« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »

baziunc

« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »

The Insanely Complicated Logistics of Cage-Free Eggs for All

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/the-insanely-complicated-logistics-of-cage-free-eggs-for-all/?mbid=nl_12516

BWAK BWAK BWAAAK!!!   :D :D ;) 

You can't always get what you want.  ::)  It's time to stop mass-food production, ya think?  Bring back the small farmer method of food production, or we may see the end of safe, edible food.  Really people... at some point even the rich folks, and investors who demand annual corporate big profit growth, have to realize their big-profit-or-bust methods may mean civilization going bust.

LOL... That's a long article, vern.  ;D ;)  Maybe they shoulda just said, "Put a small henhouse in your backyard if you want cage-free eggs in your kitchen."  ;) ;) :D

Thanks for posting this article, T40!  Sorry, just a little rant of mine, and not directed at you, of course.  :)  I just wish more people would wake up and pay closer attention.

T40cfr403

« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »

This little article was a revelation to me! It explains why they chose to add mercaptans to odorless natural gas - genius. There's also a great video of the California gas leak in infrared.

Gas Leaks Are Designed To Attract Turkey Vultures

http://www.popsci.com/gas-leaks-are-designed-to-attract-turkey-vultures