Chat Moderators > Decorah Eagle Mods Want You To Know -- Eagle Education

All About Nests

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bob1603:
"One theory is that BEs aren't as adaptable as other raptor species--that in the wild BEs are programmed to choose trees with the characteristics that help them to thrive and survive--height, nearness to water, protection from the elements for their nest, etc. And it would be hard for a man-made nest to meet these particular criteria."

As I have said before, eagles know more about eagles then we do.  Amazing creatures!  They do things we humans can only dream about. 

jfrancl:
Bob,  though I don't have data on recorded artificial BE nest construction and  usage success, I do have a link to an artificial nest construction and illustrations from the USDA Forest Service.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9IvjoVbe0R4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Faith:
Thank you Jf and Finn.  Great info as always!

Bob1603:
Nest building.  From the time the eaglets are hatched, grow, and then fledge they never see their parents build a nest.  When the juveniles reach the point of selecting a mate and are ready to start a family, how do they know the techniques it takes to build a nest?  Do they learn by observing other eagles build one?  Does their instinct kick in and they just "know" how to build a nest?  Am I asking a question with no answer?  I'm pretty sure there isn't a Nesting Building 101 class for them.  Do they self-teach through trial and error?  How do they know?  I bet its that thing called "instinct."

Bob1603:

--- Quote from: jfrancl on October 26, 2013, 11:55:01 AM ---Bob,  though I don't have data on recorded artificial BE nest construction and  usage success, I do have a link to an artificial nest construction and illustrations from the USDA Forest Service.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9IvjoVbe0R4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

--- End quote ---

Thank you jf - thats a pretty cool and very informative article. I wonder how many of those nests the USDA Forest Service has built over the years and if they are still putting them up.  It would be interesting to know if any are still in use.  Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version