Chat Moderators > Decorah Eagle Mods Want You To Know -- Eagle Education

All About Nests

<< < (4/8) > >>

jfrancl:
Bob, that's great.  I'd be interested hearing any data he may offer.  Hope you hear from him!

And thank you for posing some very interesting and thought provoking questions!

Faith:
Isn't learning great?  Information brings up questions, more research, more questions, and more research.  We can learn something every day and still not know it all!  I love this Forum board!!

Bob1603:

--- Quote from: jfrancl on October 26, 2013, 11:55:01 AM ---Bob,  though I don't have data on recorded artificial BE nest construction and  usage success, I do have a link to an artificial nest construction and illustrations from the USDA Forest Service.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9IvjoVbe0R4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

--- End quote ---

As I stated earlier I sent an email to the author of the pamphlet mentioned in the above link - here is his response.

Bob,
Thanks for your interest in artificial bald eagle nests.  The tripod structure described in Research Note 383 was a unique structure built specifically for a nesting pair here in Arizona.  There's a follow up article published in the Journal of Raptor Research (1983; pdf attached) that describes the rather unusual use of this structure as the original lake bed flooded a couple years later.  Those flood waters eventually washed the structure away.  Since then we have much improved our approach to constructing artificial bald eagle nests.  See attached pdf for Research Note 535 (1995).  This latest article includes a summary table for AZ, CA, and WA artificial nests, but as far as I know there is no centralized tally of all the nests that have been built over the years around the country.  It is not an uncommon practice.  I have helped build or consulted on the construction of nests throughout much of the bald eagle's range.   Plus the US Fish & Wildlife Service in East Lansing, MI, has developed plans for a different style eagle nest with a platform constructed mostly out of 2x4 lumber attached to the new nest tree.  A number of those have been built in MI.   Successful use by eagles remains very much a 50:50 proposition, as they can build their own nests within a week or so if they want.  Using artificial nests like 'bird boxes' to encourage nesting is an even less likely endeavor.  The greatest success comes from the replacement of a fallen nest or nest tree.  I hope this information helps answer your questions.  Thanks again for your interest!
Teryl G. Grubb

Mr. Grubb states that "Successful use by eagles remains very much a 50:50 proposition."   That is a percentage that I feel is pretty darn good because any eagle in any nest is a success.  He also mentions two other publications and I will try and get links to those.

jfrancl:
Bob, unfortunately the links aren't working for me.  Anyone else?  Is it possible to remove the "s" from https?  Not sure if that will help.

Bob1603:
I have some problems posting access to the Grubb publications in the Forum.  1. The URLs I have for the publications simply will not open - even after removing the "s" from http.  2. The publications are too large to post here because there is a limit on what the Forum will allow - even when I tried to post them one at a time.  Emailing them directly to a Forum member works fine so please let me know in a private message if you would like me to send them to you.  Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version