Chat Moderators > Decorah Eagle Mods Want You To Know -- Entertainment Page

Animal Fun Facts

<< < (2/88) > >>

glogdog:
GG - I knew Goose, Crows, Starlings, and Quail. 

Here's a few fun facts I found googling:

Despite their size, elephants can be turned off by the smallest of critters. One study found that they avoid eating a type of acacia tree that is home to ants. Underfoot, ants can be crushed, but an elephant wants to avoid getting the ants inside its trunk, which is full of sensitive nerve endings.

An adult giraffe's heart is 2 feet long and weighs about 20 pounds.  A Giraffe's tongue is almost 2 feet long.

An aardvark can eat 50,000 termites in one sitting.

Bob1603:
"a gathering of baboons is called a congress"   That description is so pertinent and so open for comments that I'm pretty sure none are needed. ;)   ("Maybe I just did)

Redlegsix:
OK here is a link with the Plica Semilunaris... which is the fold of skin right behind our tear duct. It is a vestige of what was once our Nictating Membrane!!! I am honored to share something in common with our beloved bald Eagles!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plica_semilunaris_of_conjunctiva

jfrancl:
Red thanks for posting your link.

Finn, I can't seem to get the sample sounds and songs to work.  I'd love to hear them.

Did you know that:  At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life", an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for his Shetland sheepdog?

TX_Ninja:

--- Quote from: Bob1603 on September 02, 2013, 09:57:38 AM ---"a gathering of baboons is called a congress"   That description is so pertinent and so open for comments that I'm pretty sure none are needed. ;)   ("Maybe I just did)

--- End quote ---

Yep, plenty of responses played through my head, but restraint is good sometimes.  ;D

On trivia...

I was in flight school weather class and the instructor was talking about cues in nature to determine prevailing wind direction.

Cows in a field face away from stiff wind
Horses face into the same wind
An eagle will land into a wind greater than 5 knots

I have seen all those rules defied, but wildlife are in tune with their environment.
I saw Mom Decorah do a downwind landing with a huge stick and everyone in the nest got bonked as she tried that landing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version