Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 03:08:16 AM 
Started by Lani - Last post by BrokenLug
BL  WOW  What a whopper.  You must be on a charter?  I love mahi-mahi  ;D

.. Yesterdays fishing report: we caught 4 Yellowfin Tuna in the 90 to 120 lbs range, 2 Mahi-mahi and a huge Wahoo .. headed to the marina now ..

Actually tsk we are four guys fishing off of my friend Kirk's (Captain Kirk) 24 ft Grady White offshore boat called Patty's Pride. Kirk's wife.

We head out from Teach's Lair Marina before sunrise (calm water) through the very tricky Hatteras Inlet on fair weather days only. We're usually back at the dock by 2-4 pm.

The west edge of the Gulf Stream is "only" about 12 to 20 miles out.
You quickly go from the relatively cool shallow green inshore water of the Labrador Current on the continental shelf to the deep warm blue water of the Gulf Stream and the waters depth on the depth finder drops off like a rock. (hundreds of feet to thousands of feet)

At the convergence of the Green and Blue water linear "weed lines" form sometimes for miles maybe 20 to 50 feet wide.
See pic below taken off FL coast as an example.
Those lines or rafts of naturally occurring flodsam (seaweed and such) 'hold' the bait fish under them.
You guessed it that's were the big boys lurk.

We troll along the edges of these weed lines with 8 poles and lines out.
Where the Sea Gulls are dive bombing the water, that's where the schools of bait fish are with the big guys right below.   

We seldom need to use a fish finder as we just follow the gulls by sight.
Once you get on the tuna, mahi, wahoo's etc you can fill all of the boats coolers very quickly.

We call it Tuna mayhem.
If one pole gets "hit" then usually multiple poles get hit all at once.
Then it's game on and the Tuna mayhem commences .. all hands on deck .. this is a precarious and potentially dangerous time. All items on deck must be carefully secured or stowed. Your not watching where your feet are, you are watching the line and the fish on the end of it. Unused poles, lines, big hooks and gaffs must be secured for safety while you play the fish with a fighting lap belt on.       

The weather conditions for offshore fishing have been absolutely stellar. Calm seas, light wind and perfect temps.
Yesterday 05/02/24 we caught 4 Yellowfin Tuna in the 90 to 120 lbs range, 2 Mahi-mahi and a huge Wahoo.
Captain Kirk has a NC commercial fishing license so we can sell the ones we don't keep for good $$$ at the dock.
Kirk also has a high end food vacuum sealer for the coolers full of steaks we do bring home.
Some years we catch enough fish to cover the cost of the entire one week trip.
Gas for the truck from/to NJ, house rental, bait, ice and the big one fuel for the boat.
One year I came home with more money than I left with, a huge Igloo cooler full of fish steaks all after having a total blast the whole darn time.

The pic below is of another bull Dolphin fish I caught many many moons ago in the same location.
I don't know the exact weight of it or it's length, but I'm 6' 3" and the nose of it is on the deck so we figured solidly over 60".
One arm is holding onto the hard Bimini top and it was pretty hard to hold up the fish with the other arm so we figured it was around 50 lbs.
It was so big we had to cut it in half to fit it in the cooler. Unfortunately the photog (Patty) didn't get the whole fish in the pic but the seas were rough out that day and the boat was really rocking n rolling.

on: Today at 12:54:57 AM 
Started by Lani - Last post by Lani

Baz, what a beautiful marina.... Oh I wish there was a video of your adventure with Mother Goose and babies... I bet it seemed longer than 30 minutes! What a great deed for the day!  :-*

Tsk, Windows tomorrow? It'll rain  ;D

Eagles, Kikkoman on rice is the best :). I like it better than Aloha Shoyu.

Karen, I hope your busy day went well. Were you able to get the cpap machine fixed? We had to buy a new mask for Mike's.

Good night!

Iris having a late night snack. New Guy brought 4 meals to her today. She took it to owl pole to eat. NG didn't brood egg, but has stood and protected nest while Iris was at the pole eating. This egg has to be Louis's... Louis hasn't been seen at nest for two or three days. His primary mate Star probably is brooding an egg or two by now. So he's staying near home.

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Lisa's mom, Clynn,  Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Little Decorah gosling, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.

on: Yesterday at 10:10:52 PM 
Started by Lani - Last post by Lani

Young toddler's father posts this video his wife took...  ;D
This is too precious! Love the guilty looks from siblings. LOL!
Love the "Yes, Ma'am"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1343574265438863362

on: Yesterday at 08:43:03 PM 
Started by Lani - Last post by Puff
tsk Forgot to mention it before - You mentioned earlier that the predicted rain never it made it this afternoon.   It did by me.  About 2 o'clock it poured and thundered for about a half hour.  Didn't get outside to see what was in the gauge.  I forgot to mention my weather, the noise just reminded me.  But then I'd have to add the stuff coming down right now.  Thunder with this time also.  Good for the grass.  Got TruGreened the end of last week; and, also had a fellow helping repair my sump pump system to throw some grass seed/dirt on the lawn as overseed.  Water will come in handy.  I'll let you know the total tomorrow.  Uppps - just checked in with the Wunderground radar and it actually looks like you're going to get it this time.  Enjoy!

Sleep tight!

P

on: Yesterday at 08:02:26 PM 
Started by shep - Last post by Nora in IA
1915 -- the first two over on the right look like they're having a wrestling match.  One is on its back and the other one is facing it on top of it.  New #3 is over on the left side.

on: Yesterday at 08:02:02 PM 
Started by talon - Last post by Puff
Welcome to the Forum Talon.  It's always nice to have someone new join us in the experience.

ENJOY!

P

on: Yesterday at 07:51:10 PM 
Started by shep - Last post by Nora in IA
HATCH #3 at 1745

on: Yesterday at 07:43:54 PM 
Started by Nora in IA - Last post by Nora in IA
Hey that was better than nothing!  Thanks so much for checking.  Too bad the monitor wasn't on either.  You're really appreciated!  :)

on: Yesterday at 06:43:56 PM 
Started by Phyl - Last post by LBLNJ0668
found more tiny homes 

on: Yesterday at 06:42:24 PM 
Started by Phyl - Last post by LBLNJ0668
Good evening what a long day   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10