Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cheers 2023  (Read 66791 times)

LBLNJ0668

Re: Cheers 2023
« Reply #975 on: October 15, 2023, 10:47:11 AM »

Funny you mentioned index finger,  I found my 2 middle fingers sticking out when I was walkin the straight line (like balance beam) LOL 
"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" www.edgarsmission.org.au
New Jersey (south Jersey)

LBLNJ0668

« Reply #976 on: October 16, 2023, 06:50:35 AM »

Good morning
"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" www.edgarsmission.org.au

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #977 on: October 16, 2023, 05:03:25 PM »

Hi LB all good ones today. Each middle finger protruding as you tandem walk--could be 'normal'. Ask you Doc?

Hi  jicaji and Paulie

An early 'Good Evening' with  SEDs...

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

LBLNJ0668

« Reply #978 on: October 17, 2023, 06:35:34 AM »

Good morning, I now have new bling. I am wearing a hear monitor for 2 days (tomorrow) I have to do a acho cardiogram has well.  I have an extreat bean and heart murmur which I was told before.  A little nervous I also have to do a stress test but I dont need that for surgery clarance. I chose to wait until after surgery  but then should I ? 

Phyl

« Reply #979 on: October 17, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy Tuesday !   
Currently 52F   High  64F partly sunny,  Low 51 F 

LB   #2     Hope the heart monitor works out well and good results. Will be thnking of  you in the days ahead

Hi  jicaji and Paulie

#IstandwithEvan

LBLNJ0668

« Reply #980 on: October 18, 2023, 06:50:02 AM »

Good morning

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #981 on: October 18, 2023, 10:06:39 PM »

Hi!  :)  We had a really pleasant five days away. The drive to and from were beautiful with the Autumn leaves many beautiful different colors along the way up and around different mountains. And at times, especially in the morning sitting on front porch the silence was intense and so relaxing and sometimes interrupted by distant woodpecker and a distant elk bugle once. The deer are silent and stealth walking around. We definitely used the wood stove at times. Was nice. Outside looking up at chimney top was nice seeing the smoke exiting knowing it was cozy warm inside. An exciting story below but first ...

LB, Today is day one for you wearing heart monitor. I hope all goes well with good news results for you. A suggestion .. Ask your doctor who suggested the stress for more clarification.

Phyl, Cute morning pic yesterday. How are Jim and Maggie doing? Did you get your car back yet? I remember your "mommy misses you" comment a few weeks ago.

Now the story.
Last Saturday the guys (my husband, son and family friend) went to the Sportsman's Club that's kind of nearby (considering we're on a mountain) but still a drive to get there. I didn't go preferring to stay at cabin by myself. It was warm inside with wood stove and I sit and relax on the front porch a lot!!
So one of the times I went out on porch, when I turned to the side to sit down, I was literally stunned when I saw a herd of Elk standing and eating clover not far from the side of the porch where I was. I slowly set my mug of coffee on table then stood there looking while super shocked and surprised!!

We already knew there were elk in the next county north of cabin and there have been some sightings reported in our area but only saw one on our trail cam last winter.

I must say I knew they are large and have seen photos of them in brochures but Oh My Gosh!! They are enormous!! I honestly don't know how to describe my amazement, excitement and down right speechless frozen in place standing there looking at them  .. and very near too!! I felt safe though because I was on raised porch with railing all around it and it has three steps in the front to walk onto porch. Standing there one of my thoughts were that huge male elk with huge gigantic antlers would not fit on the stairs. If provoked run and smash side of railing probably but all was quiet and calm and the front door wasn't far from where I was.  Anyway .....

When I saw them the male elk and I made eye contact first. Was impossible not to because of his size and he was standing facing the cabin porch upright, still, huge and soooo regal!! I stood motionless looking at herd next and began to count. 3 large females and 7 younger ones born this year some time. People call them "the babies". I'll tell you what .... they are really big babies!!
There was 11 total.

I kept thinking and telling myself take pictures or video! Well I usually keep my phone was in my pants pocket but I also had on a light
house coat thing with a pocket and also had on an outer coat. I didn't remember which pocket I had put my phone in!! So while the male elk and I maintained eye contact and I also look at the herd I slowly moved my arm and hand down to get my phone while asking myself which darned pocket did I have it in!! It was then that I realized my hand was shaking!!! Oh my yes it was.

The male elk remained calm and thank heavens he didn't do an elk bugle alarm because honestly I would have peed myself if he had because it's loud!
He somehow got the females attention and they slowly turned around and began to walk the opposite direction then the younger ones turned and slowly walked away with them. Mr. gorgeous elk stood there looking at me. He eventually turned and slowly walked away too. He stopped once and looked back at me then continued on stopping and waiting until all of the herd was out of sight then him too.
Holy mud that was an experience!!

There's more to the story after the guys returned and they went out back of cabin up into the woods a bit sitting in a hunting blind. Well eventually along came the herd of elk walking back up through going in the opposite direction in the woods behind cabin. My son got some photos and a video too. Their excitement was the same as mine.

I apologize for this being long. I tried to shorten it but apparently didn't. I did some reading on Elk afterwards. What I called a herd .. and was .. is also called the male elks Harem. Well from what I saw it sure was!!

------

Oops! I had to come back because I forgot the quote.  #1 absolutely!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:08:56 PM by paulie »

Puff

« Reply #982 on: October 19, 2023, 06:25:00 AM »

Wow, what an exciting morning/experience paulie. Something that will remain with you always.  Your challenge is to give all a description with the excitement you had.  It will always be with you!

P

LBLNJ0668

« Reply #983 on: October 19, 2023, 06:28:08 AM »

Good Morning what an experience Paulie!!!! Can you get pictures from your son to post???  I would be so amazed if I was there!!!!

Phyl

« Reply #984 on: October 19, 2023, 07:07:32 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy Thursday !   

Currently 55F  fog;   High  73F sunny,  Low 54 F  clear skies.

Wow! Paulie ! What a story to tell. I'd been amazed too.  If you haven't---you must copy your post today and tuck it away for safe keeping.
Almost forgot to answer your question. Jim's car is a total loss. He's looking for a salvage yard to buy it's remains. The he'll start on replacing the Pontiac.

Hi LB, agreed on Paulie's son's photos to post. All good  inspirations today...but #2 is my fave. Good idea on the heart monitor.
 Are you being good boy Copper?  :-*

Hi  jicaji  and Puff
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 07:11:36 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

BrokenLug

« Reply #985 on: October 19, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »

Wow and holy Cow (pun intended) that was something else to have seen Paulie.  8) 8) 8)

I had no idea such a sizable Elk herd still roamed north central Pennsylvania.  :o

That is something that you will not soon forget seeing and you described it awesomely.  :)

Now you tell them boys not to get any ideas, keep their firearms shouldered and just keep the cameras clicking.  :)  ;)

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Education/WildlifeNotesIndex/Pages/Elk.aspx

U. S. A.

karengramke

« Reply #986 on: October 19, 2023, 09:56:40 AM »

Hi Pauli, great story and experience!  Agree with BL!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #987 on: October 19, 2023, 10:11:18 AM »

Wow Pauli! Great experience!
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #988 on: October 19, 2023, 11:39:27 AM »

Hi! Wow! Thanks for all the comments and sharing excitement with me.

Puff, Thank you and very true about the challenge describing it. I tried to shorten it but that didn't happen!

LB, This is your day #2 with wearing monitor. Do you return it later today or tomorrow?
Okay to getting pictures from my son to post here.
I think of you often when I'm sitting relaxing on the front porch because from the very I posted pics of the cabin and porch with it bare and no chairs or tables yet you commented you like the porch the most. 

Phyl, I remember about the Pontiac being a total loss.  :( Still glad Jim was okay. Hopefully he'll be able to begin the process of getting another vehicle soon. It will happen when it's supposed to.
A very good suggestion from you about keeping a copy of my story to read again someday.

BrokenLug, I liked your pun! We heard about the Elk when we bought our land a bit over twenty years ago but they weren't in our area yet. During the construction of our log cabin (began about one year and a half ago after the pandemic lock down) is when the contractor and his guys who live around there mentioned the Elk were slowly moving down from Elk County. The cabin is in Clearfield County.

Benezette PA is a big Elk viewing area and has a Visitor's Center. One of my daughter's went there years ago and said the locals there and Elk co-exist. Elk walk through town and yards and locals said sometimes they'd see someone's laundry that was drying on a clothes line would be on an Elk's antlers!!

Last year a road sign warning of Elk in area was posted on the road about a half mile from the cabin.
We had planned to go to Benezette some day but my husband said we don't have to go to see Elk there any more. True!

Thank you for the link you posted. Very interesting indeed.
Here's a link to Benezette.
https://visitpago.com/counties/elk-county/benezette/

Here's a link to an Elk bugle for anyone who wants to listen. This is why I'm glad Mr. Gorgeous didn't bugle with me on porch. Lol
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sound+of+an+elk+bugle&atb=v314-1&t=chromentp&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvmlN5W6CWs8&ia=videos

Thanks BL for saying my description was awesome. Oh my it was! And I'm very glad The male trusted and didn't see me as a threat!

I laughed reading your instructions on what to tell them boys!! Trust me. I did!! They said they'll hope to find shed elk antlers somewhere on our land. Good!

Karen, Thank you!

Tig, Thank you!

Okay I'll ask my son to forward pics to me. I hope they'll post because some other pics I've tried posting in the past I got a message 'too large' and I don't know how to downsize.

---------
Oops! Forgot the quotes again. LB all three are great and I agree with Phyl .. #2 the best/fav. Thanks for posting daily.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:41:28 AM by paulie »

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #989 on: October 19, 2023, 12:00:40 PM »

I download a pic (that I send from my phone to my email) to my Chromebook and then I use the free program Squoosh. I find it easy to use. Just open Squoosh and select the file to upload it to Squoosh, then on the panel on the right I choose Resize, then I select Browser medium quality. Then when it is finished resizing, look at the bar near the bottom to see the size listed. Click on the bar to the left or right to get to a size that is about 800 or 900 K... anything less than 1 MB.
Then I open a post on the Beak, select Attachments and other options,  Attach: , Choose File,  select your file that is the most recent or shows a (1) at the end of its file name.
If you decide to try it contact me and I could send you a screen shot of what it looks like (to see how easy it is)  ;D
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 89   Go Up