Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2023  (Read 69372 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2023
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2023, 11:12:55 AM »

Juvenile starlings on view early this morning, along with a smaller bird possibly a juvie goldfinch from the short, cone-shaped bill.

STLbf

« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »

Really foggy at DNN early this morning.  After some clearing, there's a sub-adult BE perched in the Scary Tree along with one of the Norths, for a couple hours. They seem peaceful with one another so far.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2023, 02:22:48 PM »

STL -- it was DNF perched with the subadult this morning.  Before the subadult arrived, I heard a Great Blue Heron at 9:18 a.m. and shortly after a GBH did a flyby.  Also, there was a Red-Tailed Hawk perched for awhile on the BPT and then on a tree to the right of that BPT.  At about 12:00 Noon a House Wren was briefly splooting on the nest.

GBH Flyby.

Red-Tailed Hawk

House Wren splooting (i.e., heat dumping)

Becomes alarmed and flies off.

STLbf

« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2023, 05:01:29 PM »

OMG, Ginger, love the pics of the wren on the nest.  Splooting??? Like dust bathing only not in the dust? 

Great pic of the GBH flying past DNF.  I must listen to GBH calls on AllAboutBirds.

Here's the red tailed hawk in similar pics to yours.  And a flock of some kind of medium sized, shiny black birds dipping in the stream about 4:00.  Grackles or what??  They flew away when crows called.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2023, 08:03:50 PM »

Wonderful sights to see here!  Thanks, all, for sharing!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2023, 12:40:37 PM »

Cudos to the camera operators for all the wonderful views at DNN, day after day.   :D    :D    :D

Crows have been feeding on the ground in the pasture this morning.  Enjoy on the rewind.  Also a kingfisher on the Brush Pile, but no pic.

Closeups of smaller birds. A juvie catbird hopping about on the nest edges, listen to it meow on the rewind about 10 after 7 AM. Just before that, Eastern Wood Pewee, preening on a high Perching Branch above and to left of nest; note the  tiny hook on upper beak. And a few minutes later, three kingbirds (I think) perching briefly on tall grassy brush under the nest area.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:45:49 PM by STLbf »

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2023, 01:24:19 PM »

Nice pics from this morning, STL.  Your mystery bird is an Eastern Wood Pewee.  I agree about the juvie Catbird and the Eastern Kingbirds.

I almost missed seeing that DNF made a brief nest visit this morning at about 5:36.  DNF and Mr. North roosted on the Scary Tree and after her nest visit she returned to the Scary Tree to rejoin Mr. North.  I think most people assumed she'd been on the tree the entire time.

Aerating.

Trying to trim a stick.

About 7:00 Deer moving through the pasture.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 01:27:29 PM by Ginger52 »

STLbf

« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2023, 03:54:12 PM »

Thanks for the bird ID info, Ginger!  I'm pretty good with birds I have seen in real life, but the ones only from pictures and RRP online are much harder, even with really good reference books.  Love to keep adding to my list.

Good to see DNF at the nest. I didn't go far enough back on the morning rewind to see her.

STLbf

« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2023, 11:36:20 AM »

Early Saturday morning, good day for breakfast duck for DNF. She was in the Scary Tree at first light, then flew away to the north, following another adult BE. DNF came to the nest briefly, then flew way again, only to appear on the Yonder snag with a duck carcass.  Lots of crows calling, so maybe she stole it??  After consuming the duck, DNF flew to the BPT.

STLbf

« Reply #549 on: August 05, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

FYI, the two juvenile turkey vultures at Marshall, MO, fledged early this afternoon.  Check the Forum for pics, and watch on the rewind.

STLbf

« Reply #550 on: August 05, 2023, 11:55:26 PM »

At camera changeover to night, the Norths were in the Scary Tree close together.  Fireworks going off in the background. Is it a holiday I should know about?

STLbf

« Reply #551 on: August 06, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »

Morning finds the Norths still in the Scary Tree. One stayed several hours after daylight.

T40cfr403

« Reply #552 on: August 06, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »

Raptor Resource Project's Cam Life 2023 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUlJdWrSII4

Aug 6, 2023
What a season 2023 was! We cheered HM, HD, and DH2; celebrated and mourned at Great Spirit Bluff; crossed our fingers for the Decorah North eagles (if one eagle could have incubated an egg all by himself, Mr. North would have done it); and were enthralled by the beautiful birds, turtles, flowers, frogs, and sunrises and sunsets on the Flyway. But the end of the summer is almost here and we need to take our usual fall break for cam maintenance and replacement!

We'll be shutting the Decorah and Decorah north cams down at 5:00 pm CDT on Wednesday, August 16. Come join us for a last 2023 chat on the Decorah nest from from 3 pm to 5 pm nest time (https://www.raptorresource.org/birdca...) and mark your calendars for Saturday, October 14th - the day we turn both cameras back on!

Between now and the 16th, we'll be taking a few strolls down memory lane, thanking some contributors, and sharing fan art and videos. This video was created by Marilyn Mitchell. If you have videos, images, or art celebrating the Decorah Eagles, Decorah North Eagles, GSB Falcons, or the Flyway, please send it my way!
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

STLbf

« Reply #553 on: August 07, 2023, 12:01:49 PM »

It's Monday -- Hemp-day -- at DNN in the brushy area under the nest.  Hemp plant is blooming & producing seeds that many birds love.  It's not "that" hemp, but another variety that grows here.

Male goldfinch prefers thistle seeds, but male rose-breasted grosebeak and female cardinal are chowing down on hemp.

Puff

« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »

I don't think it's a dumb question - just my curious mind looking for a clear up answer.

While watching NN the rancher's cattle are known to walk across screen/field going to their destination.  Not the question.  Rancher has about 30 heads of cattle.  All are no doubt angus - except for one.  Lighter, I'd call it brownish.  Is there a reason for having 1 head of a different kind of stock?  Maybe milk?
 Happened last year also.  I feel I should know since I'm originally from Colorado.  I grew up by lots of cattle.  I did however move away to IL at 5 or 6 yrs.   And, we did still go back on visits frequently.

Fun Question?  Let me see the fun answers I get.

P   
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 51   Go Up