Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2023  (Read 116990 times)

Puff

Re: Decorah Eagles 2023
« Reply #1410 on: August 18, 2023, 02:21:45 PM »

Liked your sweet reply/memory lane words arcadia.  Neither eburg or I post a lot.  For myself - puter usually turned on between 5-5:30 a.m.  First stop is always a weather check for the day, then open Decorah N1.  Then read recent posts.  Usually finish off late by checking posts one more time.  Turn off about 11.  If I'm having an "in" day I'll just leave N1 screen as a screen saver.  So, watch out if you talk about me - I may not comment, but I'm not missing much!     ;D 

P

T40cfr403

« Reply #1411 on: August 21, 2023, 03:36:32 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
21h

8-15-23 Day Trip
Story and Photos by Robin Brumm

I’ve been to Decorah a few times in the last couple of weeks, but didn’t really get any decent pictures. The weather looked good for Tuesday, so I got up at dark o’clock and off to Decorah I went.  I was hoping DH2 would be around so I could get some decent photos.
When I got to Decorah, I slowly drove past N1 and didn’t see anything.  I got to the stop sign and looked around at the maple and the pine trees behind the hatchery offices. There was nobirdy in any of those spots.  I turned to drive over the bridge that goes over trout run creek and looked down the stream both ways.  There was still nobirdy in view.  So I decided to drive down the road a little way to see if the eagles ventured that direction. I drove down the road and didn’t see anything. I turned around at a fishing spot near the trail bridge and just as I was going to pull back onto the road, I happened to glance at the farm across the field.  There was something on top of the barn!  I grabbed my binoculars and there was DH2 sitting on top of the barn.  He had his tail toward me and was looking down behind the barn.  He sat there for quite a while and then flew to the roof of the house on the farm.  He was only there for a short time and then flew back to the barn.  He kept looking down and eventually flew off and down behind the barn.  I’m not sure what was back there but I wonder if there was something to eat back there.  I do not believe that farm has any animals, or at least I’ve never seen any in the past.
I stayed and watched, but DH2 did not fly out so I went over to the hatchery to sit and wait. Meanwhile, one of the parents had flown into the N1 tree above the cam.  All of a sudden a Juvie flew in and circled around the bluff.  It eventually soared up higher and disappeared over the bluff.  I was just about to head over to N1 to see if the parent was still there, and it flew off and circled around the area. It also headed over the bluff to the east of the pond.  At this time it gets a little confusing.  I would sit and wait a while and a Juvie would fly over, then I’d wait some more and a Juvie would fly over again, and I would wait and a parent would fly through, and there was even an osprey that visited the area too! At one point there were 2 Juvies circling around over the bluffs at the same time. It is hard to tell If they were DH2 or a different Juvie.  None of them landed in any of the familiar perch spots that I could see. After waiting and not seeing any flyovers, I decided it was time to head for home.  I was a little disappointed that DH2 didn’t hang around closer to the hatchery, but there was a special event happening that day at the hatchery, so there were lots of people around. I guess that means I’ll just have to go back soon!

RRP appreciates Robin's generosity in sharing her photos and reminds you they are copyrighted and may not be downloaded without her express written permission.

**Note, although I believe that DH2 is a male, there is no way to know for sure.  I used "He" for ease in writing.

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #1412 on: August 21, 2023, 03:43:49 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project

2023 Decorah Eagles Recap, Episode 1: A New Beginning - https://www.raptorresource.org/.../2023-decorah-eagles.../.

We are turning our Decorah Eagle and Decorah North Eagle cameras off on Wednesday, August 16th, so we’re celebrating the 2023 season by recapping events at the sites we watch. Please join us to help say ‘goodbye!’ from 3 to 5pm on our Decorah chat: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/. We'll post Episode Two: Return of the Eaglet tomorrow!
We're getting asked why we shut the cameras off before DH2 leaves. As long time watchers will remember, maintenance season used to be a little shorter. While our new camera systems are much better than they used to be, they are also much more complicated and we have more sites, so everything takes more testing, planning, and installation time than it used to. We'll see what we can do to shorten things up next year.
Thank you so much for watching, sharing, learning, and especially for caring. See you tomorrow!

Raptor Resource Project

2023 Decorah Eagles Recap, Episode 2: Return of the Eaglets!

Our eagle-eyed volunteers spotted a little starring on one of the eggs at around 6:53pm on April 3. We watched enthralled as DH1 – the first of HD and HM’s eaglets – made its way out of the egg to hatch at 4:10am on April 5. Unfortunately, it was the first chick of two inexperienced parents, and died sometime on the night of April 5 or early on April 6th.
What happened to DH1? While HD and HM instinctively brooded and attempted to feed their hatchling, they didn’t know how to go about it: an issue we’ve seen with first time parents in other nests. Unusually in the nests we’ve watched, both parents were new, so neither one had experience or learning to draw on. Instead of brooding, HD flew away at his first glimpse of the new eaglet, although he quickly returned. And HM dropped a large live trout into the egg cup with DH1 instead of killing it, preparing it, and feeding DH1 small bites. While eaglets should be able to go about 24 hours without a feeding following hatch, the large, cold fish and general weather conditions placed high energy demands on the hatchling. DH1 most likely died of hypothermia, with lack of food and injury from the trout both possible contributing factors.
As one eaglet died, another one arrived. DH2 hatched at 6:45pm on April 6. Fortunately, HD and HM appeared to learn from their first eaglet. DH2’s first feeding – tiny morsels, not a whole live trout – happened at 2:20pm on April 7.
From there on out, things were good in the cottonwood! As indicated by its constantly swollen crop, DH2 was the lone beneficiary of the 322 meals its parents brought to the nest. They protected their eaglet from hail, slashing rain, and snow, drove away geese, subadult eagles, and things that go bump in the night, and were generally exemplary eagle parents all season long, a scary talon ride notwithstanding! It was such a pleasure to see cute PS’s, family meals, and swollen cropzillas in N1 again! DH2 fledged at 6:08 on June 30, at 85 days of age – our oldest eaglet to fledge so far!
Since DH2 fledged, we’ve enjoyed watching it around the hatchery! Transmitter research done by Brett Mandernack and Ryan Schmitz of Eagle Valley found that fledglings don’t tend to fly over a mile from the nest within their first month post-fledge, slowly begin making longer loops out and back to the nest as they learn to fly, forage, and navigate, and disperse at an average 162 days of age. DH2 will turn 132 days of age today which means, based on our data, that she will most likely disperse during the second week of September.
We know that some of you are disappointed by the early turn off time. While our new camera systems are much better than they used to be, they are also much more complicated and we have more sites, so everything takes more testing, planning, and installation time than it used to. In the meantime, we’ll do our best to keep everyone posted and we’re looking forward to returning at noon on October 14th. Raise a glass and join us in a toast to a wonderful 2023 and a hopeful 2024 at both Decorah nests! Sláinte!
Made it this far? Don’t forget to pick up your 2023 Cottonwood Completion Certificate! Looking for something to watch while the Decorah cameras are down? Check out our Mississippi Flyway and Great Spirit Bluff falcon cameras! Birds are beginning to gather on the Flyway and it is a wonderful time to watch!

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1413 on: August 21, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »

Thanks for the RRP posts, T40  :)

angelolady

« Reply #1414 on: August 21, 2023, 07:20:05 PM »

Yes.  Many thanks.
Eagle Therapy

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1415 on: August 21, 2023, 08:33:05 PM »

Thank you, T40, for sharing the posts with us here!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

BrokenLug

« Reply #1416 on: August 22, 2023, 01:06:45 AM »

T40
U. S. A.

STLbf

« Reply #1417 on: August 26, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »

Amy posted a blog on AUG 25 and emailed the message that DH2 seems to have dispersed as of August 19, 2023.  That's a common date for eaglets from Decorah to fly the coop.  Lots of great info that you can get to from the Home tab on the RRP website.

Fly high and be safe, DH2.   ;D

Is it almost October yet??

LisaG1967

« Reply #1418 on: August 26, 2023, 01:44:07 PM »

Amy posted a blog on AUG 25 and emailed the message that DH2 seems to have dispersed as of August 19, 2023.  That's a common date for eaglets from Decorah to fly the coop.  Lots of great info that you can get to from the Home tab on the RRP website.

Fly high and be safe, DH2.   ;D

Is it almost October yet??

STL...it's almost Oct...LOL

I saw that post on Facebook, and yes, lots of good info in it!

T40cfr403

« Reply #1419 on: September 07, 2023, 05:14:08 PM »

From RRP's FB page about DH2 :)

Raptor Resource Project
August 25 at 3:07 PM

Happy Fri-yay, everyone! Our eagle-eyed eagle watchers haven’t seen or heard DH2 since the morning of August 19th. It looks like our little eaglet has flown the coop! Will it come back to say goodbye before it leaves for good? Here’s what we’ve learned from the Decorah eagles we’ve tracked so far.

- Four eagles dispersed in August. The average August dispersal date was August 19, which is also the last day we saw DH2! D35, D1, and D27 left without much warning, but D24 undertook several overnight camping trips before leaving for good on August 31.
- Three eagles dispersed in September. The average September dispersal date was September 10. Although D25, D36, and D14 took ranging overnight flights centered around the hatchery area prior to dispersal, D14 was not seen within .2 miles of the hatchery after August 2nd. If we hadn’t been tracking him, we might have assumed an August departure date.
- One eagle dispersed in October. Four fledged prematurely and experienced a great deal of trauma after fledging, which might have resulted in her later independence and departure date.
- Longer ranging flights tended to begin the last week of July or the first week of August, depending on age. Based on geographic data, most of the eaglets were largely independent from their parents by the middle of August. Although we sometimes glimpsed the older fledglings between overnight camping trips, they didn’t appear to be relying on their parents for food.

We don’t have satellite tracking data, but six days is a very long time not to see DH2, especially given that we saw and heard the eaglet almost every day post-fledge. Our boots crew is still watching, but it seems likely DH2 has set off on its big adventure, whatever that looks like! Happy trails, DH2! Maybe we’ll see you this fall at the Flyway U, and of course we’ll let everyone know if you drop in before eagle college starts. Good luck in the wild blue yonder!

If you'd like some more details on the dispersal dates and immediate pre-dispersal behaviors of the eagles we've tracked, follow this link: https://www.raptorresource.org/2023/08/25/august-25-2023-good-luck-dh2/?fbclid=IwAR3Pp1btWAGlKU7z-L4u5KLJsP4qdnSKziUjuVsfm6kdqdRAPT3Uk2voVhE

August 19, 2023: DH2 in the pine by the visitors center at the hatchery.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 05:24:53 PM by T40cfr403 »

LisaG1967

« Reply #1420 on: September 08, 2023, 04:25:14 PM »

Thank you, T40!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #1421 on: September 28, 2023, 03:52:25 AM »

>:(    It's taken me f-o-r-e-v-e-r   to get in here and read the last posts for the season.

Many thanks T40 for all the great info and all!

Love that  8-19-23 snap of DH2 in 'the pine'  near the Visitor's Center  :-*

STL   look at the calendar---October is here in a couple of days!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:16:56 AM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

STLbf

« Reply #1422 on: September 29, 2023, 02:33:30 PM »

Phyl, I'm about to turn the calendar page to October.  Thanks for the reminder.  October 14 is already circled in red as Cameras On Day.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1423 on: September 29, 2023, 04:24:04 PM »

Phyl, I'm about to turn the calendar page to October.  Thanks for the reminder.  October 14 is already circled in red as Cameras On Day.

STL, I have been waiting for you to ask, is it October YET!  ;D ;D ;D

STLbf

« Reply #1424 on: September 30, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »

OK, is it October yet?