Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2023  (Read 116974 times)

Puff

Re: Decorah Eagles 2023
« Reply #1140 on: June 15, 2023, 05:21:43 PM »

Lot of the same observations here, too, ST  Saw the leg too; feathers looked black.

Little movement from HD2 both before the food drop - and again now.  Little movement, little anything.  She's not normally laying down this early this long.  Not even 6P.  Curious behavior.

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #1141 on: June 16, 2023, 06:34:22 AM »

Two fish deliveries before 6am from HD!  DH2 has ate good this morning. And, HM on the Y   :)

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #1142 on: June 16, 2023, 09:12:10 AM »

DH2 did some hovering last night.  Video from Tulsa.  Hovering occurs in the first minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Fvw0ndocs

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1143 on: June 16, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

What a great hover for DH2! Thanks, Ginger.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #1144 on: June 17, 2023, 09:58:03 AM »

N1 looks like the taxidermist's leftovers!  HD brought something new at about 6:00 this morning, but I couldn't identify it! See on rewind -- gray, serpentine shape, soft so fresh, but fish, fowl, or fauna ???

Yesterday's hovering could become today's branching for DH2.   ;)

STLbf

« Reply #1145 on: June 19, 2023, 03:40:48 PM »

It's raccoon for meals time at N1.  HD (I think) brought two carcasses to the nest, one about 11:00 this morning and the second about 1:30PM. Cam ops provide great closeups; don't watch if you have a delicate stomach!    If I'm wrong and it has been HM bringing the prey, let me know and I'll change the pic labels.   :)

STLbf

« Reply #1146 on: June 19, 2023, 03:42:01 PM »

Also closeups of HD on the Y, especially the injured talon looks quite normal now.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1147 on: June 19, 2023, 04:25:55 PM »

STL - Great pics! 

LisaG1967

« Reply #1148 on: June 19, 2023, 04:48:52 PM »

A few random pics from Decorah - DH2 early this morning waiting on breakfast, DH2's talons, beautiful HM, and DH2's raccoon meals

STLbf

« Reply #1149 on: June 20, 2023, 12:00:02 PM »

HD and HM seldom visit the nest at the same time now that DH2 is as large as an adult!  Briefly, they were together on N1 early this morning. But which was which?  Did I get the labels correct?

T40cfr403

« Reply #1150 on: June 20, 2023, 01:11:11 PM »

From RRP's FB page:

Raptor Resource Project
17h
6-16-23 Day Trip
Story and photos by Robin Brumm

I’ve been to Decorah several times the last month and a half, but the last couple times I haven’t seen anyone in the N4 area.  Friday was supposed to be sunny but a little cooler, so I decided it would be the perfect day to go.  I got up at dark o’clock and headed over to Decorah.  By the way, dark o’clock in the summer is a LOT earlier than in the other seasons, lol

When I got to Decorah, I drove through the hatchery.  It is really hard to see the N1 nest this year. There are a lot of trees that have grown up and now block some or most of the view.  I didn’t see anything so I continued on and went to N4.  I was really hoping I would see Mom and DM2 this time.  It has been quite a while since I’ve seen Mom.  I know there is no reason for them to stay around N4 since there were no eaglets this year, but it always makes me feel better when I can see them. 

I headed down the trail and when I got down toward where I usually sit, I could see an eagle on the perch tree.  I looked through my binoculars but couldn’t tell who it was.  I took a picture and zoomed in on my camera.  It is so far away, it is really hard to tell, but I’m pretty sure it was DM2.  This is the time of year that they start doing some molting and are looking a little scraggly from all the scratching they do.  The black flies are pretty bad for all the eagles and humans too.  So I sat and watched DM2 on the perch tree for quite awhile. After a while, he flew off and headed toward the south.  I waited a bit but I didn’t see anybirdy else fly in.  I stood up to pack up my lawn chair … Wait!  There was an eagle down low in the dead tree!  I could barely see it.  It was so low that it had been hidden behind the grasses and tree leaves so I hadn’t seen it while I was sitting down! I grabbed the binoculars and looked. Was it Mom or DM2?  I took a picture with the camera and zoomed in.  Mom, is that you??  Of course with the distance, grasses and leaves in the way it makes it hard to confirm with 100% accuracy, but It sure looked like her to me!!  It was so good to see her. 
After taking a bunch of pictures, I headed back to the hatchery.  When I pulled off to the shoulder to park, I looked up and saw an eagle circling off to the west. It flew around in slow circles and made its way over the hatchery area. It flew around above the nest a few times and then flew off toward the southwest.  I walked around looking for a spot where I could see DH2 in the nest.  I finally found a place where I could see part of the nest, and sat and waited. When the wind would blow, I had a little better view of DH2.  S/he likes to stand on the south side of the nest and of course, that is right behind some leaves and branches. DH2 did flap its wings a few times but mostly just stood along the front rails looking out over the hatchery.  After a while, Hatchery Mom (HM) flew back in.  She perched in one of her favorite spots behind and above the nest.   

By this time, it was later than I was planning on staying so I packed up all my stuff and headed for home.  On the way home, I wondered when DH2 would fledge, and if s/he would branch first. I also drove past a couple of other nests that I check on when I’m in Decorah.  One nest has 3 eaglets and the other has 2 eaglets. None of them had fledged yet, and were all still in their nests.  I guess everybirdy has their own schedules… It’s all on eagle time!

RRP appreciates Robin's generosity in sharing her photos and reminds you they are copyrighted and may not be downloaded without her express written permission.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

LisaG1967

« Reply #1151 on: June 20, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »

HD and HM seldom visit the nest at the same time now that DH2 is as large as an adult!  Briefly, they were together on N1 early this morning. But which was which?  Did I get the labels correct?

STL, you are too funny! 

HM was the one that flew in to help out and feed DH2 this morning. 

HD flew in with what looked like half a fish, while HM was feeding DH2.  He then flew out after HM kinda beaked at him.

LisaG1967

« Reply #1152 on: June 21, 2023, 02:16:50 PM »

Early morning pics of DH2 on nest, with HM perched up on the branch in the background

angelolady

« Reply #1153 on: June 21, 2023, 05:09:04 PM »

That's a beautiful baby.
Eagle Therapy

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #1154 on: June 21, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »

Love that pic, Lisa! Yes, a beautiful baby! ;D❤️
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered