Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 644422 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23205 on: March 30, 2021, 07:46:48 AM »

7:04 best I could do this morning. GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23206 on: March 31, 2021, 07:10:45 AM »

hi you guys its 37 here jim went and got my sister last night she will take care of moms cats downstairs so that is a help her taxes are suppose to get done today. yesterday boo did not pee till 8;30 pm all day long i finally pushed trying to empty his bladder he did not like it but he went all over i was happy about that yesterday afternoon he got up i was sitting by him on the floor and jim came home just then i yelled come and get him put two straps on him and he walked with help out the door on the deck cause he wanted to go out his front leg he is weak in his back legs did okay he was standing on his own on the deck jim said but not for long he wanted back in and then slept for a couple of hours he was really worn out. so i hope that comes back i hope he pees today.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/05169A2D218?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23207 on: March 31, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »

4:24 fastest for now. That is a first for me.
GB

lupinelady

« Reply #23208 on: March 31, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »

Hi everyone- long day of tennis yesterday and only one American man won his match. Sebastian Korda a young guy plays tomorrow. Time isn't posted yet.
It's another super windy day here so i spent the morning cleaning. We're having a sister in law and her daughter and son in law for lunch on friday. . We are all fully vaccinated but we are taking precautions. I'm ordering from town and having bottled water to drink. I think we'll have a time limit too. It's been a long time since we've had company.  The daughter and sil are the people who live in Denver. We've stayed with them numerous time over the years. The last time was last october when we went out to get the car hubby got from the internet. I want them to meet Izzy too. I'm sure she'll charm them.

Need to get ready to cover a couple plants tonight. My bleeding heart is up and my giant alliums too. Both plants would be okay through a frost but  the ends of the leaves look terrible so i'll see if i can get some  old sheets and something for anchors.
cal- hope things are going okay for you.
cul

calhound

« Reply #23209 on: April 01, 2021, 06:29:07 AM »

Daily Updates
Tasha - UPDATE March 31, 2021
31 March 2021
 Print Email
Tasha eating buds
Tasha eating buds

Yesterday, Tasha showed her wild side. She did what I saw Blackheart and her two yearlings Dot and Donna do back on April 25, 2001. I believe Tasha was eating female hazelnut buds. These were buds that would become nuts, not leaves. I checked with Spencer at the Bear Center and he said there definitely were hazel bushes in that area but, like me, couldn’t see them well enough to say for sure. Maybe I can check tomorrow. Here is the 3:49-minute video by "Taught": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFfl6ANC0RU The odd thing to me is that these supposed hazelnut buds are 3 weeks early, just as the aspen catkins were in the update of a week or so were. I’m wondering what the hazelnut crop will be this year. Could abnormally early budding explain hazelnut failures in some years? We’ll see. Tasha might have alerted us to something. (A side note is that Donna is 21 now if we can confirm that she made it through the fall and winter. )

Then Tasha showed her playful side playing with a stick, which reminded me of the old days of playful Gerry using me as a stick, rolling around until she got too vigorous and I had to use my trick to slow things down. Playful bears don’t bite hard, so I put my arm in her mouth to partially immobilize her as I grabbed a foreleg, rolled her onto her back, and rubbed her belly. It put Gerry into an entirely different mood as she relaxed. Good memories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_DUujYHF2I

Today, "Taught" caught Tasha enjoying a different kind of play that Lucky also loved when he was younger, slipping and sliding and rolling on the ice as shown in this 9-minute video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9ICKgSEr8&t=263s

Nice to see Tasha returning to her active self more and more.

A note about Spanky. Although he has been walking about for a few hours most days in this early spring, he still spends by far the most of his time resting or sleeping, breathing like he is sleeping rather than in the depths of hibernation with long delays beween breaths. I’m watching for REM sleep but haven’t detected it. Maybe the den watchers will do better.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23210 on: April 01, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »

hi you guys it is 24 here 48 in the barn 3 raccoonies. jim cleaned up in the barn. today is opening day for kc royals playing at 3:10 said fans will be allowed k all light up everywhere plaza and stuff lit up in blue opening day jp.

hi lupe thanks for tennis info. well its nonstop here and my foot is bad everything is hard for me boo only peed once yesterday it was lake but still he pooped again too i was at harps grocery store small nice store people so nice i have to wear a wrap and sock on my bad foot no shoe for quite awhile miss my shoe. boo peed and poop while jim was with him. he doesnt really start to eat something till later in the morning i syringe water pedilike and his shakes then get him to drink and eat stuff. he got up yesterday again i was on the floor by him i kinda helped him up a little he stood i was trying to hold him had all his stuff all over the floor was yelling for sister but of course she was downstairs outside smoking. so i scooted forward picking up stuff he took a step or two circle around the sat down and then laid down he was so worn from that we got the lift yesterday not put together yet. i got to go sorry so much to do. it was very windy here yesterday too i am sad to see green grass another chore for me that i do not need at all. i read chemo can have you down for 4 to 6 months just having two treatments like boo did said be patient i am worried asking god for help all the time.  have fun with your company! :)

hi joho you did so good on your puzzle got to go

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F016DC11365?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23211 on: April 01, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »

6:39  Hey you guys.  Vultures are back and active in the Marshall barn.  I love them and really missed them for the last several years.  You new guys should look them up on you tube. Very entertaining all summer.
God Bless those in need

calihoula

« Reply #23212 on: April 01, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

hi joho thanks got it up on my tabs i love the turkey vultures got some on top of the school house just resting up there not in the batman mode boo did not get up today jim watched him and he did not get him up,boo sat up with help so not a great day but boo is tired he may still try again.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

ruesgram

« Reply #23213 on: April 01, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »

Hi Jewelies! Monday and Tuesday were beautiful! We hit 74 both days. Crow mowed on Tuesday for the first time this year. Wednesday was a shock to the system! It was cold, windy and 45! Last night there were freeze warnings out. Everything is blooming like crazy. I don't have enough old sheets to cover everything so I chose to cover the hydrangea. Around 1:45 am I awoke to a howling wind. I looked out the window and saw that the sheet had blown off the hydrangea! I put on my slippers and coat and  went outside and covered it back up! Tucked it in much better than before. This morning the sheet was still covering it. Gotta do the same thing tonight and tomorrow night. Then a warm up is coming Saturday! Mother Nature can be so fickle.

Cal, glad that Dr Rogers got his second shot. My younger sis got her second today. My older sis got her second last Thursday. The next day her arm hurt and she had a headache. Now to get Robin's second shot April 21 and the family will all be vaccinated! What a relief. We all have gotten the Moderna vaccine.  So sad that Boo is having such a hard time. I hope he'll soon feel better. You, too, I hope you feel better soon. Glad Polly is there.

Lupe, have a good time with your sil and family tomorrow! Sounds like fun! Bet they will love Izzy!

Jo, cold up your way?

Have a nice evening! Stay safe :)

johoward

« Reply #23214 on: April 01, 2021, 08:44:38 PM »

Very cold and snowy today.
 Too much contrast with yesterday.  All white this morning, and never did get warmed up.  One more day of this I hear.  One day too many for me.  I was getting spoiled.  Got out my summer shorts and did not want to go back, but I did today.

I am so happy to see the vultures.  GB  GN

calhound

« Reply #23215 on: April 02, 2021, 10:09:05 AM »

hi you guys been so busy sister called her boss took the week off so she is here till next thursday i hope that will be a good thing twice she left her lighter on the kitchen floor wearing that winter hat hoodie and coat stuff with cig stuff i told once about it this morning browning was sniffing it and it was laying in a pile of pearls hay on the kitchen floor we were very upset start a fire everyone burns up our whole lives gone and she would not even cry just im sorry so this time jim let her know coat is left downstairs all cig crap downstairs do it again go home. i know she is not all there but not burning down our house.

hi rues its cold here too last few days freezing but i dont care would like the grass to get frozen and no rain but next week up to the 70 and 80 so boo on that. early this morning i was giving boo his meds water he got a big drink did not want to eat he still has not peed since yesterday but he got up i yelled for jim he came in and got the straps on him and boo stood for a maybe 4 or 5 minutes he was tired laid him down he got a big drink ate a little i went to mcdonalds got sauage biscuits and he ate 3 sausage patties. we flipped him over on his good side on his lttle mattress he is sleeping right now him had to leave do a furnace job so i got to hurry. black list tonight  :o we got that lift put boo in it yesterday it lifted him just let him get up for a minute and then lowered him back down he did okay with it. had him muzzled have to muzzled him to turn him or put him on his bed.

hi joho dona said in pa was getting snow last night. scout and his family flying low over the dogs yard brownie and penny calihoula barking at them.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/8B17046FFCC?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23216 on: April 02, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

8:00 minutes.  Thanks Cal for taking the time to post.  You are loaded.  Sister can help.  Hope you all can have a nice Easter weekend.
It is getting nicer here.  Snow is gone . Temps are rising and wind is not bad.  Folks are going for evening walks today.  None did that yesterday.
I want to wish all who stop in here a blessed Easter.
GB

lupinelady

« Reply #23217 on: April 03, 2021, 06:52:35 AM »

Good morning everyone- another windy morning here but warmer weather on the way. Yesterday we had guests for lunch- a first in more than a year. There were five of us- all fully vaccinated- and i got fish dinners with homemade roll, cheesy potatoes and a green salad. The food from Second Street was great and much appreciated- i also had individual bottled water to drink. We visited for a couple hours then- so fun and normal! Felt good. And it was easy and the house is clean too.

I admit i was surprised at Izzy's reaction to company. She was not curious at all and spent the whole time in her "bed." I carried her to the living room after lunch to introduce her then she went back to the bedroom. She just wasn't interested and i'm surprised she didn't come out to the smell of fish.

Need to interact with "upstairs" cat. He is another story for another time.

Have a great day jewelies!

calhound

« Reply #23218 on: April 03, 2021, 07:27:10 AM »

Daily Updates
Tasha, Holly, Chipmunk, Turkey - UPDATE April 2, 2021
02 April 2021
 Print Email
Tasha
Tasha
Tasha is up and at ‘em with vigor, and Holly is coming on strong—albeit pestering Tasha as "Taught" caught in this 2½-minute video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bob0kxGSo5w.

Yesterday, the first chipmunk of the year appeared. It was an Eastern Chipmunk that has become by far the most common chipmunk around here. I haven’t seen a Least Chipmunk in years, and they used to be as common as Easterns.

Eastern Chipmunk
Eastern Chipmunk
Today, a big surprise was a turkey in the yard—only the third in my 29 years here—all in April. The first was on April 28, 2012, the second on April 12, 2020, and the third today. Bears get credit for these sightings. But first some background. Turkey numbers dwindled to close to nothing in the century leading up to the 1930’s. They were over-hunted, and their habitat was changed by farming and by removal of 10 million acres of trees according to the U. S. Forest Service. Then, restoration of turkeys began in the 1930’s. As part of that, the State of Minnesota traded bears from northeastern Minnesota for turkeys from Arkansas. Minnesota traded various game birds for turkeys from other states and released some 5,000 Eastern Wild Turkeys in Minnesota overall. They grew to some 30,000 turkeys today, surviving cold winters even here in northeastern Minnesota. As a result, the occasional turkey comes through the yard. Minnesota is now known for its turkeys. It is a wildlife success story that occasionally enlivens days here at the WRI. Today, the turkey fearlessly foraged surrounded by 3 deer only a few yards away but was very wary of me much farther away. I finally was able to take this picture when it appeared in the yard outside my desk window. They truly are WILD turkeys as their name implies

Eastern Wild Turkey
Eastern Wild Turkey
Red Squirrel
Red Squirrel

Still waiting for the first bear here. This first sighting here last year was on April 27—2-year-old Chloe, daughter of RC.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23219 on: April 03, 2021, 07:47:05 AM »

hi you guys it like 49 here dont know what it was in the barn jim did the barn early this morning i went straight to boo. great update pictures and that holly picking on tasha one day tables may turn!

hi Lupe! so nice you had a good time with your company i too am surprised izzy did not come out lots of mine would not either but because they are scared some would pester company to the point i would have to put them up Retro  cant wait to hear the upstair cat story! Jim finally took his boat to the lake this morning had it over a year and jeff left his truck here went too. so just me with boo all day well sister is here she does not come up till after ten am.

hi joho have to hurry well wait let me check on boo okay still sleeping he is on his little mattress but moved sideways i have pillows under his head. he slides off he will scoot around till jim gets home tonight i cannot lift back on it. we got that lift but i cannot get that sling under him and do that. he had such a good day yesterday early got up jim got to him helped him all the way up he peed 3 times drank good ate some sausage potted meat turkey cheese crackers he had been licking his hip i saw a little sore put stuff on it. well he got off the mattress tried so get up laid down scooted all over i looked at his hip big opening wound. very upset looks like a hot spot and they can get so big worse thing is for him to lick it that started it. its on his good side so last night i put stuff on it covered him up with blanket back there jim sleeps on the floor with him jim using that big tall twin mattress boo on his little one. this morning his sore looks much better but still he cant lay on that side i have to keep an eye on him licking it. tonight put him in the lift when jim gets home. get him up. two steps back again. sister does take care of the cats downstairs and when griz starts that nonstop barking while i am trying to feed take care of boo she goes and pets him gets him to shut up cause listening to that for hours drives me nuts. hard to me to get up and down on the floor i had sit in the living room talking to boo not touching him cause he can be really snappy let him know he has someone there watching so i could go out and see pearl some. i miss pearl. jim sits with him so i can go out. i got to go gb griz is barking barking will wake up boo

hi rues i will try to watch blacklist today hope red is okay!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9916E2C986F?z=0