Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2023  (Read 66634 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2023
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2023, 05:54:48 PM »

Snowy all around the Decorah area today.  Will this yucky weather deter the Norths from laying a new egg?  Will the grackles really occupy the basement of the nest this season?  We have had pigeons before.  DNN is such an interesting place to have cameras and dedicated camera operators doing their thing and providing a constant parade of nature for us to learn about.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2023, 09:13:19 PM »

Thanks for the grackle clarification.  Starlings and RWBB's were doing strange flocking movements today in my yard, likely due to the weather.  That was when I realized the "black" bird checking out the lower level earlier was likely a grackle - with an eye for "location, location, location" :-) 

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #347 on: April 17, 2023, 01:30:46 AM »

Decorah North Eagles
Apr 17, 2023 12:09 AM
Camera Time: Apr 17, 2023 12:08 AM CDT

Iwas doing some cam watching not that long ago...
 So sad, how DNN looka  cold, empty and unfulfilled.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

STLbf

« Reply #348 on: April 17, 2023, 03:44:09 PM »

Always a bit sad when a nest doesn't have a brood in the spring.  But this one could, from the grackles who seem to have moved into the basement apartment!  A precarious place to raise a family of "songbirds" which might become prey for the eagles.  MrN had some kind of dark-feathered bird for lunch today. 

STLbf

« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2023, 11:57:14 AM »

Windy and some rain in the North's valley this morning.  MrN and DNF were in the Scary Tree at daybreak, then flew away.  Sandhill cranes feeding, calves cavorting, cows grazing, grackles nesting -- all for our enjoyment on the rewind or "live."  About 11:00, an eagle perched in the Brush Pile Tree, see take-off pic; I'm guessing MrN.

STLbf

« Reply #350 on: April 20, 2023, 04:44:57 PM »

Eagle overnight in Scary Tree, then flew away. Another eagle appeared in the Brush Pile Tree for a while around 3:30 PM, flew off later toward the north. Could not tell which BE.

Grackles are occupying the nest; at one time early AM, there were four.  Plenty of room for more than one basement nest, but do grackles nest in colonies?

Cam ops found a red-winged blackbird perched on the skinny bush in mid-pasture at about 8:00 this morning.  It took off and flew directly at us! The video is better than the stills.

The cows have LOTS of calves now; I counted about a dozen today (no pic, see the rewind).

MNLindaBird

« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2023, 08:00:51 AM »

Hi there.  Just checking in briefly before I slowly get my day on a roll ;)  Thanks for the early bird views.  Rewind is so great...  It's nice to see that the Norths are still visiting individually and as a couple at the nest.  It would seem that there are actually some Starlings shopping at this often- unattended nesting material site.  Likely other birds too, I would think, since it's top quality.

Still running rewind on side and see the deer stretching their legs on the dewey field grasses.  Pretty sunrise too  I notice that the stream seems to be running a bit higher.  Is the access to the Kingfisher nest high enough on the hillside to be above any possible water line?  Thanks, again, to everyone sharing info/photos and tracking activities on the Decorah North site.  You are the best! 

STLbf

« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »

Nice to see you here, MNL!  About the Kingfishers, I believe their nest tunnels are high enough to be safe from most high water at this creek. You might find more info from the chatters at Explor, however.

The Norths spent the night in the Love Branches, and came to the nest briefly at daylight this morning. MrN brought a small stick. MrN was preening on the Lower Love Branch before flying off to the south.  No pics of the grackles from me, but they are at the nest in brief stops on the rewind.  Cam ops got nice view of mourning doves perching on one of those hanging-down branches near the nest.

Phyl

« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2023, 07:12:41 AM »

Many thanks for all the  great nests updates   and info STLbf.

I stopped by just now to look at the cam, check on our basement dweller...

Decorah North Eagles
Apr 22, 2023 7:07 AM
Camera Time: Apr 22, 2023 7:07 AM CDT
Birchwoman

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2023, 07:13:46 AM »

...our basement dweller...

Decorah North Eagles
Apr 22, 2023 7:11 AM
Camera Time: Apr 22, 2023 7:11 AM CDT
Birchwoman

#IstandwithEvan

STLbf

« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2023, 12:32:21 PM »

Phyl, looks like we have basement grackles nesting!

Raw and windy today, but the little birds are out and about. It's spring mating season regardless of the weather.  Eagles in the Scary Tree at daybreak, but have not seen them since.

STLbf

« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2023, 03:30:11 PM »

MrN brought a fish to the nest, and DNF was right after to claim it and eat the whole thing in a few gulps.  Then both flew away.  Sigh.  I think the egg-laying window is closing for the Norths this year.l

MNLindaBird

« Reply #357 on: April 23, 2023, 07:23:02 AM »

Is that an Osprey perched in the distance?

MNLindaBird

« Reply #358 on: April 23, 2023, 07:51:55 AM »

Haven't done an attachment in long time.  Hope this works

STLbf

« Reply #359 on: April 23, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »

MNL, Yes, looks like an osprey to me. 

Couple pics of the Norths at just daybreak.  DNF went to the Scary Tree and MrN to the Brush Pile Tree before moving the stick pic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51   Go Up