Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 647090 times)

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28425 on: May 09, 2024, 09:21:48 AM »

Good Morning,

Cal, Good news that getting your tooth went well for you. Yes ra is correct about my son. He's a professor at a university and his wife is too at a different university. ra and I used to kid around with each other about football. She's a Clemson fan and I'm a ND fan.
I enjoyed reading about your childhood with horses and you riding Pearl in the wind. Very cool!

calihoula

« Reply #28426 on: May 09, 2024, 11:02:13 AM »

hi paulie when that wind came up pearl ran for her barn she loved that barn so much indy likes it too sweets loved it so im happy the barn is a happy safe place to them. indy hates flies i do spray him but really hot he sweats wants ac barn sodie loved barn too roxie too indy use to back off in barn when i sprayed him all my horses at first did that indy now has figured out that keeps flies off ticks too i spray myself too. indy is pretty smart i miss having a horse but got indy he is a good little mule my first male so that is good and he is okay with just being him so that is real good no more for me see all my others in heaven hope to ride again oh i know ra big clemson fan when i got time i watched them too my college team kstate wildcats. ra would watch them jims is mo tigers joho is a little buckeye! jims dad was ND too my avatar with calhound im riding pearl. when my sister susie past away i brought her horse home rose for our mom rosemary susie adopted her long ago rose was a wild mustang had a number tatoo on her neck rose buried along side of my roxie and my sodie little up and over is pearl other side of all them is my sweets sob looking at his horses and his beloved barn tuco my first in the front with a granite headstone has her picture on it says my beloved horse Tuco dates she was forty she was small had some welsh pony why i think i got to keep her so long thankful i was a kid when i first got her too.

hi joho when i went to harps other day no cart in cart rack deal but lady got one ready for me when i came in she is really nice customer i see her alot cart big help i still take my cane something up high on shelf come here cane.  i walked walmart went other way to town got gas went to bank was waiting for bank to open left,my groceries in car found my cheese puffs had a bottle of pop birds all around i threw out cheese puffs they were getting them couple of squirrels got some   thats good eating cheese puffs! love your joan cane story yes you take her cane and good you got a back up just in case
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #28427 on: May 09, 2024, 07:17:06 PM »

Cal, You definitely know how to care for horses and lots of animals. You learned a lot growing up with and around horses. I think that's awesome. Awww Indy is a cute little mule. Very interesting story about the horses in your family. Wow your horse Tuco was forty!

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #28428 on: May 10, 2024, 06:33:48 AM »

The Three Faces of Snowball and Why I Walked With Bears - UPDATE May 9, 2024

Snowball in different light
 Snowball as a mostly brown cub 7-2-23
Snowball 7-2-23
 Snowball and her black brother
Snowball and her brother
Snowball’s color was a puzzle until I luckily got the mystery-solving picture of her showing both black and brown fur. The picture of her as a cub (by Catherine Davison) shows her as mostly brown with a little black hair here and there. Pictures lately showed as black with a light face. But sometimes she looked brown. Then a picture caught the light just right and showed her with long black guard hairs and new shorter brown fur growing in. A little puzzle yet is that bears with brownish fur usually grow in new black fur as they shed their bleached brown fur this time of year. How could brown fur turn black. I’ll just be waiting to see this new pattern and get pictures of it in the process. We’ll see if I’m right or the unspeakable (wrong). The pictures won’t lie. One thing is certain. Snowball has a fetching face that makes her stand out no matter what color she is.

Bear scat
Bear scat

Taking this picture of what bears are eating in forest openings now reminded me of one of the reasons I so badly wanted to walk with bears. I wanted to use Jane Goodall’s trust-based methods to learn way more about what they eat. I wanted to see the foods as they went in—not as they came out with the most digestible foods nearly impossible to identify, giving me a skewed picture of the diet biased to the less digestible plants that could still be identified. I also wanted to learn the importance of the habitats where they were finding their favorite foods. Without a cecum and having a simple stomach that is too acid to support the microflora and microfauna needed for digestion of cellulose, bears have limited ability to digest vegetation except in early spring. That is when many kinds of vegetation are sprouting up and still digestible because their nutrients are still largely in liquid form and they have not yet incorporated into their cell walls as cellulose. When that happens and the plants develop distasteful secondary compounds, bears turn to the few herbs that are still digestible and to the parts of plants that have concentrated nutrients—like berries, nuts, buds, catkins, tubers, and meristem. When available, they also turn to animal foods such as colonial insects, carrion, and, in some areas, fish.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Cente
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28429 on: May 10, 2024, 06:52:13 AM »

hi you guys its 51 here everything is damp jim up indy is going to get to go out now. i am kinda worried about jim doing that cause grass so very wet and eating wet grass is not a good thing not for horses anyway and indy is half horse i told jim before let him out around ten when sun been out dry out grass oh good jim just came in and said do you want me to wait to let indy out no jim grass way too wet he said i thought so but making sure.  jim knew nothing about horses i mean nothing he has learned over the years but still sometimes not sure. he had his share of falling off roxie then sodie. he rode roxie cause i was still riding tuco. i remember riding with our friends in downtown kearney on the road and not real far away was a train and tuco was use to that we had trains where i grew up anyway train blew its whistle and i looked over there was jim on the road roxie running down it. jim get up and go get roxie. our weather person says clear skies will be able to see the northern lights tonight she said just get away from the city lights well no problem here with that.

hi joho that one face of snowball looks like a possum face.

hi paulie do you like tennis? i love nadal rafa he is playing in rome

Rafael Nadal continued his French Open preparation by fighting back from a set down to beat Belgian qualifier Zizou Bergs in the opening round of the Italian Open in Rome.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C1055D4BCDD0?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28430 on: May 10, 2024, 08:40:02 AM »

6:30 Tennis girl  54 degrees and partly sunny this morning at 9:09 am.  Did not hear much from Debbie today.  I know Mary went to work and Bash was at Debbie's house so I did not bother her much. We did trade texts in the morning when I sent her the Dog Shame of the day.  Thanks Cal.
I was Karen's hero last evening.  She had been out to Panera's and just got home at about 5:30 when I called her.  She was distraught, because she could not find her glasses.  After searching around her house a lot with no success I offerred to drive her back to the Panera's where she had spent the afternoon.  We searched the parking lot, and inside the restuaunt as well as possible.  Others were helping too..  She finally gave up hope and we returned to her home.  She was resigned to make arrangements to get new glasses and an eye exam.  We went in through the garage at her home, because it was raining a lot.  We walked to the back of the the garage to enter the the laundry room.  As I reached for the door jam to steady my step up into the doorway I looked down to make sure my foot was on the step properly and saw about a foot away her glasses were on the floor next to the wall.  Apparently she had put them on a  round top barbeque grille and they had fallen off behind the grille. How nice did that feel!
OK now second cup of coffee is probably cold.  So I will go and get it warmed up and finish reading the paper.
Bye GBU, Israel, Ukraine and all who are sofferring.

Did go share some meatloaf with Karen last evening.  She had made a nice big blueberry pie.  It is good, and I have two big slices for my lunch to day.  Watched a lot of TV.  Thursday is a good night for TV.  Starting with the last two segments of Young Sheldon where his dad passes away from a heart attack.  This was an unbelievable ending.  The way it was presented was also remarkable. Two rarely seen associates show up at the front door to announce it is all over, unbelievable.  Most unimaginative scripting I can recall. There were several other good shows to follow.  When I got home I put the TV on again and watched the three late night shows with Jimmy, Jimmy, and Steven.  Then Seth and After Twelve.  Then MOM. Finally fell asleep about 1:30 I think.
 Got up at 7 and am ready to go, but don't know where.  I guess Walmart for a start.  So I can get my favorite cereal.

calhound

« Reply #28431 on: Yesterday at 05:45:23 AM »

Exciting Sightings - UPDATE May 10, 2024

Lily
Word came today that 17-year-old Lily was seen with four cubs. The spotters know Lily, and they sent us this picture showing her light muzzle that they took in Lily’s territory with a litter of four—the same size litter as she produced two litters ago. We’ll have our eyes and ears open for follow-up sightings. Lily makes my heart sing.

RC
RC

Another exciting sighting today is of 25-year-old RC and her yearling son River. RC is identified by her white check mark on the right side of her chest that gave her the name RC, which stands for Right Check. She is also identifiable by the pattern on her muzzle, a tiny notch near the tip of her right ear, the dip in her back, the scattered white hairs on her forehead, and her manner. RC is the oldest daughter of Shadow, and the second most productive member of Shadow’s Clan with 30 cubs, compared to 24-year-old Donna with her 31 cubs. Shadow herself had at least 26 cubs with a possible additional litter during the six years before we knew her. We’re wondering if River is the last cub RC will produce. Her mother Shadow’s last litter was a single cub. The oldest three black bears to give birth that I’ve heard of were 26, 26, and 28 (Shadow). We don’t know how close to those ages other mothers produced their last litters. If RC produces another cub, she will be 26 at the time, tying the record for the second oldest black bear to produce a litter.

Snowball in white pine
Snowball in white pine

The third exciting sighting was Snowball who chose to pose for a picture showing off her beauty framed by the needles of a tall white pine, the favorite kind of refuge tree in this region.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28432 on: Yesterday at 05:55:46 AM »

hi you guys its 50 here 50 in ice and 62 in kviv. this is an exciting update dr rogers. so nice seeing rc and lily and little snowball.

hi joho wow you finding karen glasses! i would of looked before stepping down too i always do yay for karen getting her glasses back thanks to you!! my cousin janice had a day too she sent me this..    Wow what a day.  My flower garden gave way to heat, water & wood rot.
So, today I asked a neighbor if she would like to go flower shopping with me.  Her reply was "yes".  She showed up with her sister, in a walker.  After stowing the two walkers in the back.  off to Walmart and the traffic! 
Shorten the story. In the nursery we played now you see me now you don't.  One on foot, one on a scooter and one with walker.  I walked as far as I could, "On foot" suggested to scooter for us to switch.  Never been so glad to sit!  We had to self check out.  While "foot" checks out she said we're is "she"? She had my Walker.
Foot go's off to find her sister.  I'm sitting there waiting for some one to help with 50# bag.  I look over and see sister in a scooter of her own!!!  I asked where my walker was.  There was nothing there.  Foot shows up.  Told her my walker was missing and in the seat was my billfold, car keys and my phone. 
Walmart security was great.  They guarded each entrance and viewed taps, until a manager saw a red walker with a black seat go out the door.  Lady thought it belonged to the store. Ha. Whew.  All in a day of pleasure.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4D055D51167A?z=0

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #28433 on: Yesterday at 09:14:57 AM »

Hi cal, Yes to your tennis question. It's a fun and strenuous game. Used to play it many years ago. I don't watch the French Open but see news clips. You picked a great player to love and watch.

johoward

« Reply #28434 on: Yesterday at 01:05:35 PM »

6:41
Cool and rainy day.
On my own today.  Saw Karen this morning.  She made us breakfast of toaster waffles and eggs.  We watched Sat. animal stories on E&I.  Including Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom which was started by Doc's old friend, Marlin Perkins. Bea.Org has a video of Marlin and Doc. tagging a mother bear in her den, and checking her cubs.  I will show it to Karen when she visits, but not today.  She will go visit her daughter for the weekend. 
Debbie is working at a fund raiser bingo party at our VFW.  Funds raised will benefit our Lorain County Dog Kennel.  Debbie volunteers there almost every Saturday.  I have not tried bingo, but I may drop in to see what it is all about. She likes it when I donate to her dogs.
 Karen likes bingo, and goes once a week to play.  She said I should go help support Debbie today.
 Now though it is time for bingo to start, and I feel like I need a nap. LOL
Sooo I will say CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are sufferring.

calhound

« Reply #28435 on: Today at 05:53:42 AM »

hi you guys its 57 here and rain starting tonight and monday and monday night more on wed thursday  :( i hate spring

hi joho yes go play bingo its easy and helps dogs! karen is right help support debbie oh nap time well next time you go play

hi paulie i use to play tennis too for fun very long time ago when i get time i watch it yes really like rafa like watching him play saw a picture of his little boy rafa jr with his grandpa rafas dad little one looks like rafa they are watching him play in rome i read rafa wishes he could play alot longer for his son.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E0055D5419B5?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #28436 on: Today at 08:02:08 AM »

Happy Mom Day!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

paulie

• Live...Laugh...Love
« Reply #28437 on: Today at 09:34:44 AM »

Cal Happy Mother's Day.  Adorable photo you posted.