Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 635426 times)

ruesgram

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #4890 on: February 24, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »

I've seen Molly, Boo and Stella laying in the sun like that! Didn't realize they were sunbathing! Lol!

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #4891 on: February 24, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Them sunbathers ran out of sun in 8:39!
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

jpalmken

• Another day in which to excel
« Reply #4892 on: February 25, 2016, 04:59:10 AM »

Braveheart.  A Nice looking old lady.

Oops,  I overslept almost one hour and I have to be at a doctor's office at 9 for a review of an MRI.

Good Thursday wishes for all.

calhound

« Reply #4893 on: February 25, 2016, 05:43:43 AM »

Lucky?s New Interest in Holly, Construction - UPDATE February 24, 2016

Holly and Lucky
Holly and Lucky
This 12:44 video shows interactions we have never seen or heard of before?especially since Lucky is fixed and it is months before the mating season. It starts with Holly working on a foot pad. She stretches and perhaps licks condensation from the ceiling. She sits back into the corner. Lucky comes over and shows a new kind of interest. All their actions are gentle, although sometimes quick. Ears are not in the play position. Obviously high interest. At 3 years old, Holly is old enough to have cubs. From their actions, Holly is giving off some interesting odors that may be precursors to estrus. It?s all new to us. A writer is putting together the love story that developed between these two rescued bears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9skJDJopGw

Patrick "Moe" McKibbage came up today and did 4 quick videos with Director Scott Edgett on the extreme makeover in progress at the Bear Center. Thank you Moe and Scott. Great job!

1. Entryway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5cX_eO7nVc
2. Camping With Bears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJaijVhtHw
3. New Look Inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLf5dcNBR0
4. Beautiful Pedestals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiDtkpGVX8*

Thank you for all you do.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

obsver446

« Reply #4894 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »

Good morning, Jewelies! Schools are closed for the 2nd day, because we Did get the wet, heavy snow, and the wind is starting to blow harder. Tons of birds at the 2 feeders. Farther north, near South Bend & Chicago, they got more snow.  Yesterday, I thought I saw Mom Decorah rearranging an egg--Dad on the nest today, but haven't seen anything written about eggs. Jp, hope you get a good report at the doc. Cal, seeing dogs & cats who need homes is so very hard. Wish all animals had happy homes. Rues, did you get any of my weather yet? Hi, ra, neva, Dlong, bischue, nora, Willi, chippy, Eaglette, pat, deb!!!!!! 

calhound

« Reply #4895 on: February 25, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

You Guys!! I am so sorry forgot to post the puzzle for today!! just went to work it and could not find it!! My bad!!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2816CFB9587?z=7

jpalmken

« Reply #4896 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »

It took me 4:22 to get a good look at those bugs.  I have no idea what they are.

Eaglette

« Reply #4897 on: February 25, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »

Hello Jewelies!

An update on the Decorah nest especially for Cal:  Mom has two eggs laid and most likely will lay a third today. 

At the Decorah North Nest (DNN), that pair is still putting together their nest.  It will be interesting to see how that develops.

Jp, that Braveheart sure is a pretty looking bear.  Thank you for always sharing a beautiful photo of one of the bears.  I really appreciate seeing photos from the past as I was not watching them then.  Wishing you good news for the MRI, but know that they usually don't ask you to do one unless there is something wrong that they need to look at closer.

Hello Blschue!!!  lol.

I am so sad to hear that many of you are experiencing another bad weather front.  El Nino has not dropped as much rain as California had expected it to fill our water supply.  I hope we get some of that weather in the Sierras before the El Nino condition is gone.

I have a bad bad case of Vertigo today.  It is progressively getting less spinning, but it sure takes a long time to get from point A to point B.  At one point, I only made it getting down on all fours.  Sad, but necessary potty break for me.  Almost needed a seatbelt just to stay on the pot.  lol

OK, now you all enjoy what is left of your day.  I am going to snuggle with my daughter's dog a bit and maybe take a nap or two.  Later I will look at that puzzle of bugs.  Looks like those praying mantis bugs, but I will have to finish the puzzle so I can see it larger.  Is there any way to see that completed puzzle in larger view?  It is so small for me, I never can see what I am trying to put together. 

Peace be with you all.  Eaglette

ruesgram

« Reply #4898 on: February 25, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »

Whew! That was one hard puzzle for me! I think Eaglette is right, they look like praying  mantis!

Cal, that was so nice of you to donate stuff to your Humane Society. They need so much. Occasionally, I take newspapers and bleach to ours. And each Christmas my sis and I take hard and wet food to them. Coyote shooting George's mom died a week ago. In lieu of flowers she asked that donations be made to our local Humane Society. Crow asked me to drop off a check in Betsey's honor to them next time I'm down that way but I said, no! I'll mail it to them. I just can't bear to go inside and hear or see all the animals in there. Just breaks my heart and then I want to bring them all home with me! It's a good thing donations like food, newspapers, etc are dropped off in the back away from the animals because I probably wouldn't donate!  Tomorrow  afternoon Robin and Crow are going to see Star Wars in 3D! It will be Robin's 4th viewing! :o She must really be a fan!  Just love reading about Corey Dog aka Pork Roast! What a lucky little dog he was to find you! :) BBT on tonight....Sheldon's birthday!

Jp, hope your MRI had good results!

Obsver, yes, your weather got here! The last couple days it was on off rain with on off sunshine and very windy. Overnight the rain changed to snow. Luckily it didn't stick. Today its been on off snow showers but tonight it's supposed to stick! A nice warm up coming Sat! Don't send me any more snow, ok? :D

Eaglette, what kind of dog are you snuggling with and what's its name? Hope the vertigo eased up for you!

Eaglette

« Reply #4899 on: February 25, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »

Hello JP, hope you are back home safe and enjoying the early evening.

jpalmken

« Reply #4900 on: February 26, 2016, 04:33:53 AM »

Ursula, standing tall.

The doctor, a pain specializing neurologist, says I have cervical radiculitis but the spinal cord is not severely affected so he does not feel surgery is needed.  He put me on a  regimen of Gabapentin and will see me in a month.  I hope that eases the problem and I can get more restful sleep.

It has been confirmed that the 3rd Decorah Egg has been laid.   She has now laid 26 eggs in the last 9 years.

I wish a pleasant Friday to all of you and good health.

calhound

« Reply #4901 on: February 26, 2016, 05:35:02 AM »

Bear Feeding Ban Proposed in Connecticut - UPDATE February 25, 2016

Male Common redpoll
Male common redpoll
The following four paragraphs are from an article in today?s Hartford Courant newspaper in Connecticut. Statements by DEEP Commissioner Robert Klee recite the usual misconceptions about feeding. Beyond that, when people say ?feeding? they usually fail to distinguish between the tidbit feeding that creates problems in years of scarce food, in contrast with the intentional, substantial feeding that can lead bears out of trouble. The Commissioner apparently has not read my peer-reviewed article in Human-Wildlife Conflicts Journal Does diversionary feeding create nuisance bears and jeopardize public safety?. I saw nothing in the statements by the Commissioner that would indicate a need for a ban on feeding bears. None of the statements indicate real problems with bears and there is no mention about how abundant or scarce food has been in the woods.

My comments are in purple/bold.

"The feeding of such wildlife by the public, either intentional or inadvertent ? can reduce their fear of humans

Yes, if the bears go from house to house for bird seed and garbage. Any problems with bird feeders and garbage would not likely be reduced by a ban on feeding bears. However, if there were a few places where bears were fed substantial amounts, as in the semi-rural community I am studying, problems would likely be reduced in the surrounding couple miles, as they are here. The bears reduce their fear of humans at the feeding sites but flee from people in the woods.

and eventually lead the animals to associate humans with food," Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Commissioner Robert Klee told lawmakers Wednesday.

In the woods around the community I am studying, where over a dozen households have hand-fed bears for over 50 years, hikers say they seldom see bears and have never had a problem in over 20,000 hours of hiking.

He said the number of bear-human "interactions" is on the increase in the state, resulting in more potential danger for both the animals and people.

Common redpoll flying
Common redpoll flying
But isn?t that due simply to the increase in numbers of bears and humans? Bears and people overlap there. Although many people assume that feeding creates problems, studies where feeding is substantial has shown that feeding reduces problems. What danger is the Commissioner talking about? Have there been any attacks due to feeding? I suspect not, considering that he inserted the word ?potential.? In the community I am studying, Wildlife Officials who subscribe to the usual misconceptions like to talk about potential danger and public safety issues with feeding even though there has not been an attack in the entire 50 years of feeding in this community.

Last August, a cellphone video of a hiker being approached and touched by an aggressive bear at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area in Burlington went viral. That animal and a second bear that charged a wildlife officer were shot to death a few days later."

The touching was a rare incident that I didn?t understand, considering that bears don?t approach hikers around here where bears are definitely fed. Was it a released captive-raised bear? We don?t know the background of the Burlington bear. No one was hurt. Did the second bear really charge the wildlife officer? A nervous bear can pounce toward a person, slam its feet on the ground and blow. That is the harmless ritualized display of a bear that feels anxiety. It means a bear is nervous and wants to talk about it and not attack. It is a behavior we have witnessed hundreds of time in my 49 years of bear research and never saw the behavior followed by an attack. Many people call that a charge. Whatever it was, it doesn?t sound like the bear made contact with the officer that shot it. There is a tendency for scared people carrying rifles to exaggerate danger. If bears were as dangerous as people say, how is it that in all my dealings with bears, including catching and holding screaming cubs in front of their mothers, startling bears, hand-feeding bears, coming near males that are mounting females, and doing about everything people say will cause bears to attack, that I?ve never had a bear come after me and hurt me? Mothers often charged when I was capturing their cubs, but not one ever touched me.

"Klee said legislation now before the General Assembly would give his agency authority to develop regulations to control the feeding of bears and coyotes on private land. He promised that regulatory power "would be used judiciously to respond to threats to the public to de-escalate issues with dangerous animals."

I don?t know how a ban on feeding could de-escalate issues with bears.

"Bears that routinely forage on human-sourced foods often develop bold or aggressive behavior toward humans," said Klee, "sometimes leading to home incursions, attacks on pets and livestock, or even direct threats to humans."

This is one of the most common misconceptions about feeding. If people believe that feeding is wrong, any misbehavior is blamed on feeding. In years when natural food is scarce due to a frost or drought, problems increase, as does occurrence of bears going house to house for bird feeders and garbage. Then the bear presence is blamed on the bird feeders and garbage rather than the scarcity of natural food as has occurred in eastern states recently. In years when natural food is scarce, substantial feeding in areas where it has been studied has been shown to draw bears away from bird feeders and garbage and reduce problems. The idea that bears develop bold or aggressive behavior toward humans where they are fed has not materialized in my study area where bears have been fed by a dozen households for over 50 years. House break-ins are very rare (I know of one in 1985), but I know of no attacks on pets, livestock, or humans and no direct threats to humans. The idea that feeding leads to break-ins is countered by the fact that a lack of feeding around Lake Tahoe in a year of severe drought and virtually no food in the woods led to dozens of house break-ins per day while residents were heeding the advice of wildlife authorities to reduce attractants. The residents took in their bird feeders. They cut down fruit-bearing trees. They were careful about their garbage. Break-ins continued. The bears had not food to go to in the woods. Common sense residents realized the problem. They air-dropped food outside the residential areas. They back-packed food into the woods. The bears followed the food. House break-ins immediately and drastically dropped. Wildlife authorities said the food would habituate and food-condition bears and make problems worse the next year. What happened? Wild food was more abundant the next year, and bear problems dropped to below average levels. It was not habituation or food-conditioning that caused the problems. It was hunger. Food fixed the hunger as described by Stringham, Stephen F. and Ann Bryant, (2015). Distance-dependent effectiveness of diversionary bear bait sites. Human?Wildlife Interactions 9(2):229?235. (click link to view pdf)

Female Common redpoll
Female common redpoll
If fed bears became aggressive toward humans, the community I have been studying for the last 20 years would not have continued feeding bears for over 50 years (started in 1961). They have experienced none of the problems predicted by Commissioner Klee. The community found a way to peacefully coexist with black bears.

In testimony before the General Assembly's environment committee, Klee noted that a black bear killed a person in New Jersey in September 2014.

There is no evidence the bear had been fed. In fact, killings by black bears have been least where they have the most interactions with people and their food. In the eastern United States, black bears intermingle with more people (including their bird feeders and garbage cans) than anywhere, yet only 4 of the ~70 killings by black bears across North America since 1900 have been in the eastern United States. Most have been in sparsely populated areas of interior Canada and Alaska.

Out the window, the flock of common redpolls has grown to over 300. They pack so closely where sunflower seed hearts are abundant that some birds can?t find a place to land. A male showed his pink breast in contrast to the streaked breast of a female.

Thank you for all you do.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #4902 on: February 26, 2016, 06:03:11 AM »

calhound

« Reply #4903 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »

My cousin Janice sent me this..

https://youtu.be/umRB0FS2eac

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #4904 on: February 26, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »

29 and headed for 35.  Saturday 53, Sunday 46, and Monday 47!  Should be good dog walking days.

Rues and anyone, I went to the adoption deal that Northeast Iowa Humane Society does at the one hardware store in Decorah once a month.  I can't do it anymore.  I see their dogs on-line and then when I went I fell in love with a couple and walked out in tears.  We can't have two dogs and if I kept going we couldn't have a house full.

It makes sense to me that if bears have enough food they aren't going to bother other things because their tummies are happy.