Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 635795 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23475 on: June 03, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »

hi joho yay you are home! i been up alot again today got my boot off foot on ice. jim went to look at a square baler for hay. i got everyone fed and done dogs sleeping hope you find your pain med yes you need those i can relate to that but still home! tv babies left alone here and there today i check on them then feel i have to watch the kids till parent gets back hurry up i got stuff to do babies good while alone did not pick on each other at all. nice not seeing dead or live stuff there no worry about falling out of the nest either. i talked to a lawyer today on firebug he is going to send him a letter you rest your leg knee im resting my foot gb you
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23476 on: June 03, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »

Deb coming with my meds.  She has to stop for some stuff.  She is bringing boss. Will be here soon .  GTG GB

johoward

« Reply #23477 on: June 04, 2021, 05:09:33 AM »

Good morning ev1,

Nice to be home.  I did not realize how long I was away until I smelled my good chili from the fridge.  It was not as I remembered it.  It was a much different color and smell.  Fed it to the sinkerator.  Pan still soaking.  Lunchmeat and cheese seemed ok, but I will donate them to the wildlife soon.  Along with the loaf of wheat bread.  Debbie came over and dumped the milk. Everything else seemed ok.  Which was not much. LOL
Drove my car to a mailbox.  What a fun thing to do after being told repeatedly that I would not be able to drive for weeks after surgery.  Due, I think, to bicycling so much for so long my legs recovered quickly. 
Slept in my own bed last night, and it was wonderful.  Did not wake at all through the night, and no pain this morning.  Now I will leave you to start your day, by saying CUL and God Bless. 

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23478 on: June 04, 2021, 06:02:55 AM »

hi you guys its 62 suppose to get to the 80's i am not happy about that snake will be showing up. hard to chase them down now. 3 raccoonies in the barn

hi joho! so happy for you. i drive to my mailbox have to take this boot off first going to drive to the sonic later get a gift card for jim for his birthday next week. oh i bet that milk smelled good too. not much to empty my frig oh man yes donate to the wildlife for sure.  nothing like your own bed and for me with my posse and cats. was sitting on my ottoman in my room eating last night and my one cat Eastern was running all over playing and jumped on my boot and started digging in get of my boot ! she did not get to my foot that boot is like armor. blacklist tonight! cul gb

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/CA055D5A986D?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23479 on: June 04, 2021, 07:09:36 AM »

7;48  oh well  gtg knee starting to throb.  gonna find some ice.  it really helps a lot, but limits movement too.  bye now gb

calhound

« Reply #23480 on: June 05, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »

Daily Updates
Youthful Bear Play - UPDATE June 4, 2021
05 June 2021
 Print Email
Yearlings
Yearlings play

Dustin showed a behavior a couple days ago that I might have missed before with other bears. He stood back about 35 feet from a big white pine looking up at a scared yearling and made a sweet, high-pitched sound a little like Ted makes when he wants closeness. Or like males make when they approach a potential mate. After a few minutes, the scared yearling came lower but was tentative. 2 yearlings play
2 yearlings play
Any movements by Dustin made the yearling start back up. Eventually, though, they touched noses and soon began to play. I’d never seen that progression before.

After family break-up, yearlings from different litters get together—like kids going off to college and finding new friends. And they love to play.

I also saw that desire to play today with Chloe’s cubs. The brown one was up a white pine. The black one was on the ground, standing momentarily so I could almost fully see his very distinctive chest blaze that will let us readily identify him for as many years as we see him. Then the brown cub came most of the way down. The black one wanted to play and didn’t want to wait for him to reach the ground. He stood up and bit his big brother’s foot to pull him down. Shortly, they were into vigorous play.

Among the yearlings, three of them, one of them Dexter with his bright white blaze, had a three-way play session that was fun to watch. Play looks like fighting but is silent and the bites are gentle. Dexter, the largest of the yearlings, threw himself down on his back to play from the more subordinate position. The picture shows him with his mouth open biting gently. The third yearling participated only intermittently with the two yearlings biting Dexter at times.

Chloes black male
Chloes black male
Chloes brown cub
Chloes brown cub
Chloe's cubs play
Chloe's cubs play

A good time was had by all. I’m still trying to get pictures of their chest blazes for better identification and to match up with pictures of them when they were still with their mothers.

More yearlings are going to show up because RC, Bow, and Jewel have all gone through family break-up, putting ten yearlings into the mix.

A nice thing I saw today is that the North American Bear Center made the Top 50 Science Destinations in America: https://www.popsci.com/science/summer-travel-vacation-ideas/#Minnesota

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23481 on: June 05, 2021, 06:48:13 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here good pictures in the update. cubs so cute.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/54055D4B9D10?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23482 on: June 05, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »

went to the barn in 2:02 

hi rues i did not watch blacklist yet when i was done for the day saw my book from library was in so i downloaded it started reading it till almost midnight new stephen king Later there is another snake in my barn i could not climb over that wooden fence with this boot and my foot so went back in got sack of snakeaway pellets threw it over against that wall all around inside of the barn. went back did my chores did not see it mice were out so hoping it left. ac working good in the barn jim put new coils in earlier good we got our ac heating business. it is hot be hotter next week i feared snakes coming. see dr thursday trying to be good with my foot freedom maybe not far away.  :)

hi lupe watching rafa saw novak earlier not much enough to see he won. break time so watching rafa dogs sleeping.

hi joho tv babies alone right now

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23483 on: June 05, 2021, 05:26:14 PM »

belmont one going with rombauer preakness winner please safe race no one hurt gb

calhound

« Reply #23484 on: June 06, 2021, 07:31:20 AM »

Daily Updates
Blaze Confusion, The Brown Cub, and Our First Taker of the Tub - UPDATE June 5, 2021 
05 June 2021
 Print Email
Winnies blaze   Winnies blaze   Winnies blaze
Winnie's blaze

The chest blaze that many black bears have is one of the first identifying marks we look for, but it’s easy to make a mistake. These three pictures of Winnie, a non-clan bear, show why. In the first picture, with two of her yearlings in the background, she shows a modest blaze with dark fur separating two lines. In the picture with her sitting up a bit, the blaze looks more prominent but is still two lines--misleading. Then she spread her arms and revealed the full, prominent solid blaze that looks like a W, hence the name Winnie. We can’t always get the bears to spread their arms like that, leaving us confused sometimes with bears that we don’t know that well.

Yearling female with line
Yearling female with line
Chloes brown cub
Chloes brown cub
First taker of the tub
First taker of the tub

In the picture of the sweet yearling female whose identity we’re still working on, the tiny blaze is a single white line about 2 inches long and only as wide as a pencil. It’s barely visible a little to her right of center. First taker of the tubBut if a person can see it and knows which bear has that, it’s a distinctive marking.

Chloe stopped by, and I got the closest look so far at her brown cub. He looked adorable,and it was nice to see how closely he sticks to mom. His color looked extra bright in the setting sun, but I’d like to find a name that reflects his color. We’ve already used the names Rusty, Cinnamon, and Goldie. I thought of Copper, but it doesn’t really sound like a name. It doesn’t have to start with a C to match Chloe like I was thinking before.

Along the way on this hot (93°F), sunny day, we filled the tub. It wasn’t an hour before we had our first taker—this young adult male that looks bigger than he is, still in his winter fur. He was just passing through, sniffing the ground a lot, but not too distracted by mating season to cool off for a few minutes.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center