Chat Moderators > Decorah Eagle Mods Want You To Know -- Entertainment Page

From the heart

(1/88) > >>

gardengirl1:
Have you ever been so overwhelmed at the wonder and beauty of something in nature that you were speechless? So overcome with emotion, a heart so full and eyes flowing with tears because of something  you saw, heard, tasted, or touched in creation? That has happened to me so often, and when I first happened upon the live camera on an eagle's nest in Decorah Ia it certainly was the case. Magnificent.Awe-inspiring.Noble.Breath-taking.Unbelievable.  At such times I have found that other talented folks HAVE found a way to convey those emotions that I cannot.  Poetry.This thread will be a place for anyone to share their favorite poetic expressions relating to nature. I hope you find some inspiration here, some peaceful and quiet moments.

I will start with my favorite hymn.

This is My Father's World

This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas-His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, the birds their carols raise
The morning light, the lily white,declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world: the battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heav'n be one.

jfrancl:
GG, what a lovely idea for a thread.  They are beautiful, and touching!  I'm looking forward to reading other delightful poems. Thank you for starting this inspiring thread.

nanimal:

--- Quote from: gardengirl1 on August 30, 2013, 10:08:19 AM ---Have you ever been so overwhelmed at the wonder and beauty of something in nature that you were speechless? So overcome with emotion, a heart so full and eyes flowing with tears because of something  you saw, heard, tasted, or touched in creation? That has happened to me so often, and when I first happened upon the live camera on an eagle's nest in Decorah Ia it certainly was the case. Magnificent.Awe-inspiring.Noble.Breath-taking.Unbelievable. 

--- End quote ---

I have felt that many times, gardengirl, and that is exactly what kept me watching the cam on April 3, 2011. Your hymn selection is also one of my very favorite! Don't know how often I'll get here, but I love your idea for this thread.  Thank you.

glogdog:
Wow...wow...wow...wow, gardengirl is all I can say! or maybe OMG.  Yeah.  OMG.  Sigh.  What absolutely beautiful poems you are sharing with us and what a beautiful, peaceful thread this is.  You know, last year, on my 1st trip to Decorah, I had many of your moments of which you speak of, of being overwhelmed, speechless, overcome with emotion, tears swelling up in my eyes... humbleness as I was alone at one point with the horses and a juvenile who was perched in a tree by the horse field off of Sievers Springs Road bridge.  I will never forget that moment as I felt touched by God, as He gave me a private gift of being with those wonderful creatures in that special place.  It's like time had stopped for a few moments. 

I don't have any poems with me as I'm at work, but I do want to share with you all some lines from a poem from my childhood.  I only remember these few lines.  I know not to this day the rest of the poem or the title or the author, but these lines have stayed forever imbedded in my memory and always mean peace and tranquility to me:

"Apple blossoms when they go, white and slow,
Quiet all the orchard space, till the place,
Hushed with falling sweetness seems,
Filled with Dreams."

walton:
Thank you so much for starting this thread.  I will have to look for some of my favorite poetry.  Here is one from a song that our high school choir used to sing, many years ago.  It has always been one of my favorites.  I can't help but think of the words whenever I am walking in the woods.

I know a green cathedral

By Gordon Johnstone

I know a green cathedral, a shadowed forest shrine
Where leaves in love join hands above to arch your prayer and mine.

Within its cool depths sacred, the priestly cedar sighs,
And the fir and pine lift arms divine unto the pure blue skies.

In my dear green cathedral there is a flowered seat,
And choir loft in branched croft where songs of bird hymns meet.

And I like to dream at evening, when the star its arches light,
That my Lord and God treads its hallowed sod in the cool, calm peace of night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version