Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 636932 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24855 on: April 27, 2022, 07:56:44 PM »

Raven ...  33:57             90°  (5:22)  Clear skies, breezy thank goodness.  Not bad.  Big shady Mesquite tree in the backyard. 

Good day everyone... actually, good evening.  I hope your day went well, personally. 

Cal...  I really can't stand Rand Paul.  Felt that way since forever.  It does make you wonder how someone like that gets elected, anywhere, by anyone.

Joho ...  You're right, considering how badly things can go, it is a wonder that we have done as well as we have.  I think we are being taught about how badly things can go, if we are not careful and more aware. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24856 on: April 28, 2022, 05:22:34 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here i got to go to harps this morning hope everyone is okay

GB Ukraine and all of us too

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/99055D5A23AF?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24857 on: April 28, 2022, 07:19:06 AM »

4:56 Good morning all.  Cold and crunchy this morning. Lots of frost at 7am when I went out for the paper, and now only 32 degrees at 8am.
Not much action on my animal cams this morning. Sounds like TV has a visitor, but is not alarmed.  Those baby eagles are soooo big!
Ukrain is hanging in there.  God Bless Ukraine and all of you too.

calihoula

« Reply #24858 on: April 28, 2022, 10:52:26 AM »

hi joho i just checked on tv sitting on eggs such a beautiful bird i have a severe ingrown toenail on my big toe one had surgery on and dr removed that nail then too. grown back awful i did not know why it hurt so bad jim said its ingrown i went to harps could not wear my shoe just two pairs of socks i looked they did not have anything for it kelly said soak it in epsom salt so after i got home put away groceries went and gave her pearl her meds her grain fed maybe cat again such pain i finally soaked it then i tried to lift the nail up pain so hoping jim has something i can use. this is enough to go get the nail removed again only be awake this time and have stuff put on it where it does not grow back. i was reading about all the heavy stuff going in ukraine big tanks now jet fighter planes etc but the jets will take a couple of months for training but training in nato land then heading back over to ukraine said ukraine smart learned tanks other stuff in days  goal of course defeat russia and take back any cities russia took. so i believe all the help ukraine is getting they will achieve that goal. yes gb ukraine
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

blschue

« Reply #24859 on: April 29, 2022, 01:24:15 AM »

Bill lost his 3 year battle with cancer.

calhound

« Reply #24860 on: April 29, 2022, 05:11:28 AM »

Ted, Lucky, Holly, plus Honey Remembered - UPDATE April 28, 2022
Honey - 1996-2016

Honey Memorial
Click here for a full sized image.

Good videos

It is good to see Ted eating an apple just fine after his dental problem last fall as "Taught" caught in this 1:42-minute video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouOOhUfypvg Everyone has their favorite bear. One whose favorite is Ted reminded me that his name means Gift From God. I don’t know if it’s fair to the other bears that Ted has a name like that. But it wasn’t us who named him. Oh well.

Lucky is also up and at ‘em playing with his feet in this 2:36-minute video by "Pooch Pal" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyl9SEOl5R4

Holly wins the prize for ‘most active’ as "Taught" caught her climbing to the tray feeder in this 50-second video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dRHjetoog

Holly is up to something in this 2:48-minute video that "Taught" caught of her barging into Tasha’s den and rearranging everything after stealing Tasha’s dug den this past winter. I don’t know if bear rules are the same as human rules, but I wonder how Tasha feels about this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJi2th1uNU

I couldn’t help thinking about Honey yesterday 6 years after she parted. Here is a link to the update from that day with many pictures of her.

What Mary Zahradka wrote yesterday probably reflects the feelings of many:

“Very special thoughts today of dear Honey Bear. She was "personality plus" and such a beautiful bear. I still get tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat when I think of Honey. But more importantly, I feel love and gratitude for how she enriched my life by piquing my curiosity about bears, entertaining me and teaching me - and finding a place in my heart. Dear Honey Bear . . . “

Thank you, Mary

The Bear Center is opening tomorrow (Friday) from 10 to 4. Hours will be the same every day except they will be closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Click here for hours. https://bear.org/visit-us

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24861 on: April 29, 2022, 05:29:13 AM »

Hi You  Guys it is i think like around 60 rain almost here i got out to the barn before rain i will have to wrap my foot in a walmart bag keep it dry. jim came out with pearls hay and he had to go he is going to ford then down to susies to meet with electric man final inspection and mow i dont know if he will be able to mow big rain storms already there heading here. oh griz  sad update yes dear honey  saw on the world news earlier putin hit kviv  ussian strikes hit Kyiv amid UN chief’s visit; Ukraine plans evacuation of civilians from last Mariupol holdout Threaten the UN Chiefs life and many others not sure how much father putin can take this before we had enough. i dont understand why putin has not had a stroke or heart attack with everyone being so mean to him not letting him just go on killing and burning up all of ukraine. So i was happy to see pres biden up the money we are spending to help ukraine win this by double the amt and UK too and others so putins lighting fast threat did not stop that. we dont stop him now he will not stop at ukraine at all and what has the ukraine people done to deserve this nothing. UK told ukraine its okay to hit russia targets. now putin mad at uk for that.

Griz potty bark i gotta go bbl

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/6F055D5B1CF6?z=0

GB Ukraine and all of us

neva

« Reply #24862 on: April 29, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »

blschue ...  I am sorry to hear that ... sorry for your loss
(J.W. Stephens)

neva

« Reply #24863 on: April 29, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »

Cactus Colors ...  29:59           80°  (12:54 pm)   Clear skies, light breeze, very nice.  Cardinals hanging out at the Seed Bell.  😊🌵

If you get too much rain, send a bit of it over here, please.  btw ... Cal, you asked if I was near any of the fires.  No, I'm not.  I see that they have one or two up north, but nothing here ... yet.  We all remember when that was never a concern for most people, now we get fire possibilities along with our weather forecasts each day. One of my closest friends lives in the mountains above Pasadena, Calif., and I worry about her when it comes to fires and mudslides.  She would like to stay in that house, but is thinking of selling it and moving to the house she has in Las Vegas.  Her husband died a while back.

I'm sorry, Cal, that you're having so much trouble with that toe, and hope that you can get some help with that soon, I can imagine how painful that is. 
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24864 on: April 30, 2022, 05:25:48 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here raining thru the night but i think has stopped for the day. i think.

Hi Neva this toe is painful like i dont have enough problems with my feet and getting around period and have so many depending on me. i soaked it yesterday and then sprayed it with stuff put a ton of antibiotic ointment on it bandage it two pair of socks walmart sacks cause its wet outside went to the barn and dropped pearls empty coffee can on it went in where she is to clean up her poop maybe cat follows me in there pearl not fond of her she may steal some of pearls food came out thru the gate maybe looking up at pearl pearl ears flat trying to bite her i said come on maybe now she ran thru and over my toe why you pearl stop it came in let dogs out let dogs in and penny 150 lbs came running back in and ran over my toe why you but when i went to bed it was not throbbing and i slept okay with it but something is going to have to give here. i need my shoe my foot back. i wish i could give you this rain i really do. i hate to see them wildfires got that firebug down by my sister place that burned up her place still waiting on getting a settlement from that. i wish it was winter. for everyone. no fires no heat no tons of rain if i was your friend i would do that moved to vegas not that i am fond of hot weather cause you know i am not but probably safer.

GB Ukraine

Griz is barking away need to go gots so much too do

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D5442B8?z=0

neva

« Reply #24865 on: April 30, 2022, 05:02:35 PM »

Richmond Bridge ...  39:18           90°  (2:30 pm)  Hazy clouds, sunny, light breeze.  Okay.  It'll probably pick up later.

I love the name you've given your barn cat, Cal.   'Maybe'

I hope everyone's day is going well.   
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24866 on: May 01, 2022, 05:04:28 AM »

Bears, Beaver, and Beauty - UPDATE April 30, 2022
Beaver with duck swimming nearby
Beaver with duck swimming nearby

Ted was good yesterday on opening day, cleaning up his plate like I was taught to do as a child. Not quite the same, but the same idea as shown in this 14-second video https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/689489275625060

Two other bears from Tennessee didn’t seem quite so nice, but they got a lot of comments from viewers. I wanted to comment, too, but the truth is: I’m not sure of the situation. I couldn’t get any sound, which is what makes it confusing. Play can be rough but is done quietly. Fighting is noisy. On TV programs, play is usually shown as fighting by dubbing in ferocious sounds. But this seemed a bit vigorous for play, but I saw no biting. Play includes a lot of biting, but it is gentle. That’s why when a bear plays too rough with me I put my arm in its mouth to immobilize it, knowing it won’t bite hard. Then I usually can roll it on its back and rub its belly to put it in another mood. No biting in the video makes it more confusing. I thought the video might be a male with a not-ready female, but April 27 is a bit early for this kind of interaction—at least in northern Minnesota, but this was in Tennessee where I might be wrong. Certainly a high action video. Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/tnwildlife/videos/1197805724321404 Exciting but confusing. I would have to be there and know the sexes and be able to hear the vocalizations to know better.

Editor's note: Upon watching the video complete with sound, these bears were making the fighting sounds like researchers filmed in 2006 shown on bear.org: https://bear.org/mating-battle-combatants

Beaver swimming
Beaver swimming
A beaver and bears were the excitement at the WRI yesterday. Bears included Chloe, Lincoln, Charlie Brown, Jackson, Floyd, and an unknown male weighing 188 pounds with no chest blaze that I should know, it seems, but can’t quite place him. I have to get an ID photo and see if anyone knows his face.

The beaver showed me something I’d never seen before. He (let’s say) was eating a stick, removing the dark bark and the nutritional layer, leaving the bare yellow wood. He probably did this all winter in his lodge by swimming underwater to bite off a twig from his winter food cache outside the lodge and carrying it inside to eat. But now Woods Lake is living up to its reputation of having the first open water in the area—the bay where a flowing stream exits the lake, so the beaver was out biting a stick off the cache and calmly eating it. I just had to get a picture of my first beaver of the year. I didn’t want to disturb him and was disappointed when he dove underwater and left. But then he surfaced near me to check me out. All I did was click the camera, so he dove under and swam under ice to come up at the cache and resume debarking his stick.

Beaver dam
Beaver dam
Beaver lodge
Beaver lodge
Next came a pair of mallards with the brown female poking her head into mounds of soil and roots covered by old vegetation. I suspect she was finding small hidden bits of new growth coming up. Then she got to the mound right next to the beaver. To my surprise, neither one of these aquatic dwellers showed any fear of each other. The beaver just kept eating and the hen mallard kept poking her head into a mound maybe a foot from the beaver. She’d bury her head in the vegetation with no concern about keeping track of the beaver. Then she moved around to the side of the mound where the beaver was. No reactions. She continued foraging while the beaver continued eating inches away. As she squeezed past him, might have even touched him with no response. Could she tell he wasn’t an otter that sometimes eats ducks? I don’t know. I can’t explain it. I just saw it and was intrigued by the trust and how the two ignored each other. I don’t know if they like being ignored like I liked being ignored by bears that I was accompanying and feeling honored that they accepted me and didn’t think I was a bad guy.Purple finch
Purple finch

The beaver dam included yellow twigs with the bark eaten off that were probably part of his diet over winter. The lodge was a new one made last fall that I had not noticed until a couple days ago. It sits where our view from the deck is blocked by leafy branches. It is only about 140 feet from the WRI cabin. I look forward to checking it out when the lake opens up for a canoe. I want to open up the view to it so course participants and I can see it easily from the deck. It’s something I want to listen to from a canoe when there might be kits. I look forward to watching and photographing the kits. Always something of interest going on in nature.

Then, out the window, a beautiful purple finch landed on the railing. It looked unusually bright so I clicked the camera that is always next to me at my desk. The picture gave me the best view I’ve ever had of a purple finch. It shows the brown feathers of the wing tips, the intermediate color closer to the shoulder, and the dark not-so-bright red on his back. The head is brilliant, as it’s supposed to be, but it was extra brilliant—the most beautiful I’ve ever seen a purple finch to be. I suppose there can be differences like that, but I was surprised by its color.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24867 on: May 01, 2022, 05:31:16 AM »

hi you guys its 48 here cloudy but i dont think rain till tonight love the update love the beavers. course love all the wildlife.

Hi Neva! i named her Maybe cause i said maybe you wont have kittens but i dont know about that pretty big gut and maybe you wont kill my barn birds  so far she has not course birds not stupid maybe you wont kill my mice out there most of them now in with sweets she caught one i yelled at her she let it go it took off.  yesterday i googled that ingrown toenail again and saw okay so i soaked it use a really small crochet needle i found in my moms dresser and had my little dykes i use to trim cat claws and bit that bullet lifted it i could see it was grown into the toe there on the side all red and when i lifted it cut that corner of nail out bloody mess but felt better then i cut it some more and soaked cleaned it up and was able to put my shoe back on. cant lace it up two pair of socks but it is on! much better ra said her daughters has them all the time and now she always files it so i think i will do that instead of digging it out. if there is anything i get wrong with my feet and toes i get it. saw on news nancy peloski went to kyiv to meet with pres zen. finland and swiss getting ready to join nato putin so mad why doesnt he think that rest of the world well most of it getting tired of him his same old same old. he is going to find out he does not rule ukraine or the rest of us keep us prisoners i dont think so. he should be imprisoned.

Hi Joho! Are you okay?

God Bless Ukraine all of us we wish for peace

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/97055D59A659?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24868 on: May 01, 2022, 06:32:04 AM »

hi you guys got kids fed soaking my foot then out to pearl again,med time friday on her radio the farm said will be off the air for 15 min put up a temp tower put in new one in a few days i thought oh oh well it does not come in real loud or clear now so i told pearl look for a new one the fox loud and clear not country 70 rock pearl can you rock out so couple of songs pearl doing okay then dj says some ozzie oh oh pearl ears straight up looking around im trying to get back to her radio she darting to the side i get ozzie off! found another country station real low key i have not heard any of those songs so not new country not old country either pearl likes it. that is what matters.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #24869 on: May 01, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »

7:25  I am ok. Just resting a lot.  My Deb is still trying to get Boss to walk without lunging.  Now she is trying to see if he would like to use up some of his energy by pulling a bag of rocks around her lawn and her living room.  He seems to like to work.
 Some pulling clubs are on the net and are all dedicated to humane treatment of all animals, and no food rewards.  Deb won't like this.  She gives Boss treats for everything, even breathing. LOL
  These sites often refer to stories about Jack London's Alaska dog pull days.  I think Buck was the dog's name.  He was fictitious ,but famous just the same. 
Stay tuned.  More to come I think. 
Yesterday I went with Deb to get Boss's nails trimmed.  She takes him to a groomer for this.  He was pretty tolerant of the process.  They used a Dremel grinder.  I was surprised.  I had always used, and seen nail clips. 
Then we went to do some banking, and finally to do our civic duty by early voting in the Ohio primary. We were done by 12:30 and Deb asked if we should stop at Dog and Suds for lunch to my surprise I said no I wanted to go home to rest instead.  Usually I would jump at the chance to take her to lunch.  I must be getting old I guess.  Maybe still recovering from the surgery.  Anyway I wound up napping soon after I got home.
Enough for now.  Going to Meijer store for grapes and milk soon.  That is it for today.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.