Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 476701 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7875 on: August 08, 2023, 12:04:52 AM »

Wishing everyone a 'Good  Evening' and SEDs .   

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

BrokenLug

« Reply #7876 on: August 08, 2023, 12:50:35 AM »

I believe it.
Some lake bay in ME ..
Dusk in the pickle just fishing.

A Huge Bull Moose rose from it's aquatic diet.

A just as big beaver was sitting right on his rump as it rose.    ???

Stuffing moose hoof stirred up freshwater shellfish in it's face with both hands.

Well inside my 200 Yard canoe safety comfort zone.

Make like a whole in the water and very gently back paddle.

That beaver sat on the ass of that moose for at least 5 minutes and ate as the moose water grazed.
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7877 on: August 08, 2023, 01:02:56 AM »

Sorry I haven't been around lately, seems I can't keep up!!!!

Congrats on the new grandbaby!

Thanks for the birthday greetings, loved them.   :)

Hi Nora! good to see you. I hope you had a happy birthday. Best wishes again.  :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7878 on: August 08, 2023, 01:13:00 AM »

Clynn, love the Sea Eaglets pics.... That Dairy Queen could have in in Salina, KS, they seemed to all look like that and that's why we love them.... humidity was 87% this morning  :P

Tsk, Aly is doing well, and Dewey has settled in. She's busy and continues doing at least 30 hours a week of online therapy work for her old Payson job. They just asked her to start a program to help with short sentenced Gila County prisoners. They don't seem to want to let her go. Aly can't say no, because she needs to make a living and so far she doesn't have enough clients in Medford to be able to do without working for Payson Community Bridges as well. And her Payson clients don't want to let her go.

Lisa, Kelly does beautiful crochet work. That's great Bradley is able to get time off, to help Kelly, bond with baby, as well as get to know his MIL and spend time with his dad. I remember the old days, Mike definitely didn't take time off. LOL! ... sweet Sydney will be getting lots of cuddles.  :-*

Kb, it's beautiful lake and area.

{{{Puff}}} so glad you were able to talk with John. I found his answers to you informative and comforting too.

Karen, we had 87% humidity this morning and temps in the 90's ugh... Mike had to drive my car, his car continues to leak oil, they can't seem to get it solved.... you and Piper take care.

Hi Mich-Pip I remember that story, and the heartbreaking stories of the eaglets, challenges for the male eagle, removal of the nest, all sorts of challenges that followed that incident.

SED Eagles, gorgeous good night pic.. I took a quick cat nap around 7pm. sleep well  :-*

Tig, looking forward to pics of pups  ;D

BL  :)

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tsk DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Baz, Eagle's mom and sister, Tig, Puff, Jicaji, Tim and Tsk, Lori and her grandma Clute, Tsk's friend Pam and Hubby, Karen, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Tsk's friend, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Tsk DIL Amy, Baz, Eagle's Sister and Mom, Tig, Puff, Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Clynn's Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Maggie, Little One and all those like her, Hellgate Iris, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

T40cfr403

« Reply #7879 on: August 08, 2023, 01:34:02 AM »

mich-pip - Your post sure brought back a lot of memories! Good to see you.

2011 Norfolk Botanical Garden Eaglets - https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/2011-norfolk-botanical-garden-eaglets

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Phyl

« Reply #7880 on: August 08, 2023, 06:15:01 AM »

Currently 70 F   but feels like 77F.  High  86F  mostly sunny,  our humidity 97%  with  High pollen.
 Nighttime low 70F  clear skies   

Spent yesterday's  entire afternoon at The Frist Art Museum downtown.  On the way home stopped at Publix.
Returned home in time to fix dinner. Afterwards thought I'd sit  in Livingroom for an hour and  then go upstairs --- fell asleep  until 10pm.   ::)
Got Jim's breakfast,  set out for him---

Many thanks for the nests updates and wildlife info and photos.
  Lisa, hope you didn't get any storms last night.
We've missed a couple of days checking on the bluebirds  >:(

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #7881 on: August 08, 2023, 06:17:00 AM »

Made a quick peek a in on Two Harbor's Anthony and found him in his nest gazing seaward

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #7882 on: August 08, 2023, 06:25:12 AM »

Here's some hi-lights from yesterday's outing at the Frist , 'Beatrix Potter: Drawn to Nature':
Due to the delicate nature  of the hand painted/written items by the author herself the lighting was dim. And, photography was highly discouraged.

Jim ended up enjoying it more than he thought.
 And, I  left knowing so, so much more about this amazing author i.e. there are 23 volumes to the 'Peter Rabbit' series
of children's books and  about 60 more other stories involving foxes, ducks and mice and cats and dogs.
Most of her stories evolved from letters she 'wrote to her nannies children;  friends and business acquaintances children to entertain them. These were sometimes  written on small pieces of paper cut  in the shape of envelopes that were folded over and sealed for mailing.
 Her entire family was artistically gifted and her grand father owned a textile mill ---manufacturing calico prints---scraps  sewn together, of which the author used herself to cover her sketch books.
She and her brother had many wildlife pets and dogs some found their way into her stories.
 She fell in love with her beloved Lake District at a very young age as her family spent summers there. 

For biography  and more on Beatrix Potter, author and illustrator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter

Since I couldn't take photos of the exhibit I bought a book , 'Beatrix Potter's  Gardening Life' which had many of the sketches that were in the exhibit .
And some of the hand written letters all of which inspired the classic children's tales.

Here are some gallery shots and short videos from The Frist  and The V &A  and Hill Top

The Frist:
https://fristartmuseum.org/exhibition/beatrix-potter/
Scroll down for some exhibition  gallery shots

Highlights of this exhibit at  it’s home at The V & A museum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzSzVBH3KcU&list=PLWnrB6I_z5yiAuE-NbWqZrMNVaHlP5Rej&index=1

Tour ‘Hill Top’House and it's countryside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgRfAnyVOF8

Left click on image to enlarge for easy reading.

This is an end plate duplicated in this announcement. Left click on image to read.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 06:49:19 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7883 on: August 08, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »

62 heading to 85  DP 58 and humidity 76%  sunny.  ;D

EAGLES    Beautiful painting last night.

Hi  NORA  Glad you dropped in  :)

BL  Cool wildlife from your canoe  ;)

LANI   Be proud.  You and Mike raised a well respected young lady.  Glad to hear Aly is keeping very busy and that Dewey is comfortable in the new digs as well.  Thanks for the update.    Bummer on Mike's "new" car...Hope you have a pad in the driveway that his car can be parked on for the oil leak  :o :o    That is the funniest good night pic  LOLOL

T40  Thanks for the link to Norfolk.  That was a hard tragedy to take in, in my early eagle watching days.  If I remember right there followed much discussion about whether or not the nest should remain in the garden so close to the airport.

PHYL   Thanks much for your report on the Frist afternoon.  I always enjoyed her illustrations.  So fun to find out new things about a familiar artist.  Such was what I learned - that Andy Worhol was more than a can of Campbells soup!
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7884 on: August 08, 2023, 07:12:25 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

T40, I remember those three young eaglets and how they went back and forth on what to do... In the end they decided to remove the eaglets because they didn't think the Dad could finish raising them alone. And I remember  the Dad coming back to the nest with a fish and the eaglets were all gone... It was a sad, sad time.

Lani, yes, I agree, the Dairy Queens all had that same look, and they were the ultimate treat of our times! Oh that curlicue on the top! It's wonderful that Aly has a backup to help her income until she gets her clientele built up! I bet it won't take her very long! Just the fact that Payson can't let her go shows how good she is at that job, it won't take long for the folks in Medford to see the same!

Nora, hope you are doing well!

BL, you are a story weaver, that is for sure... I can picture that beaver just sitting on the moose's back. And your slow back paddle...

Phyl, I keep meaning to take a picture of my small Beatrix Potter collection, most are gifts from Janet in England. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the exhibit! I would love to see it! Thanks for the link to Hill Top House, what a beautiful place! Anthony looking good!

Mich-Pip, welcome to the Beak! I feel like we already know you! Would you mind being known as Pip? Seems like we shorten every name in here... I do so remember the Norfolk Mom and the tears and utter sadness when she was hit by the plane. The three eaglets and the Dad, and all of the things that happened after that. Destroying the nest he started many times, and finally a new mate for him that turned out to be a previous offspring. We never heard anything more after that. They successfully drove him away from the gardens and then erected this statue in honor of Lady...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3okqKIE3pk

Lisa, Grandma! And Jeff, Grandpa! It's a new stage in your lives...you will love it! There is such a difference in companies and what they do for new parents. They changed the policy at WF a few years before I retired in 2018. Sydney only got 6 weeks off  from her work, but was only paid for three. At WF the primary care giver for the baby got 12 weeks of fully paid leave, so Erin became the primary, and was able to take care of Bella all that time. Does Bradley get some paid time off?

Hellgate Osprey Cam - Susan Dimitrakopoulos  · Iris leaves the nest and stranger appears right after. Looks around, then leaves. Iris returns, stranger circles nest from above. Iris leaves. Ah the drama at Hellgate.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #7885 on: August 08, 2023, 08:03:01 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tsk - I hope I get one of those blankets too, and yep, I have dropped hints.   :)  I am glad that Bradley is home too with Kelly, but I did have to ask him yesterday....are you giving Kelly a turn with the baby?   ;D 

E4E - Such a pretty pic last night, and thank you!

tig - Sounds like you are all set for the pups. 

Nora - Thank you, and good to see you!  Hope you had a great birthday.

Phyl - Glad you did not get any storms.  We did get storms last evening.  My area did not get as windy as some places in Maryland, but we got thunder, lightning and heavy rain for a good 40 minutes.  Looks like you had a great time at the Beatrix Potter exhibit.

Lani - Kelly is really good at crochet.  Yea, I do not remember Bradley's dad taking time off when he was born.  I had my mom, his mom and his grandmother all there with me. 

clynn - Bradley has 4 weeks of paid time off, which is his vacation or time to use as he wants.  He gets 60 days of paternity leave, too.  He will take that first, and then use up his PTO.  They also get 1 week of personal days, 1 week of sick, and 1 week of mental health days (to take as they please, when feeling stressed at work).  He also was approved to work from home now, so he will watch baby while he works, and while Kelly returns to work.  The only day he has to go back into office is on Wednesday for team meetings, and Kelly happens to not work on that day.  It kinda worked out good.  Oh, the drama at Hellgate!

kbshcb

« Reply #7886 on: August 08, 2023, 08:32:00 AM »

so, the wild turkeys bring in the coyotes....Not my house but close by.

I bought more wolf urine as one coyote jumped a woman's fence who owns dog.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7887 on: August 08, 2023, 08:50:41 AM »

some bounce

Oh! Is that what happened to "our" turkeys? Hmmm...
We are watching the Harry Potter movies at the theater during the next month or so. We saw the first one this week. We miss Alan Rickman.
Aw... Iris
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

« Reply #7888 on: August 08, 2023, 08:53:24 AM »

Aw yes Lisa now starts the planning/logistics of fitting things together, for Kelly and Bradley - and you and Jeff.  A step higher in organization.

I'm fixated on getting DH2 into the next plateau.  Does she have any idea of what's ahead for her?  I don't see that.  I know there was report of munching on road kill.  But has she ever caught anything on her own???  All it has been is sitting and squawking - sit in N1, sit on Y, sit on cliff, sitting and squawking.  Whatever will happen in a week when RRP has squatting rights?  I've never seen them even catch a pic of her at the raceways.  Water-splash-food!  Has she put together the connection?

Then there's the art of flying and new adventures. . .So far it's about a 1/4 mile square habitat?  She obviously doesn't have the same travel lust that I do.  Even DHF - she's been on sentry duty.  She needs her break.  Has DHM been around at all recently.  Without other eaglets or nearby other nest - I mentioned before - our little one has faced a limited/sheltered upbringing.  Then there's us, too.  RRP and beakers all are getting schooled on results of an alternate first year.  There may never be a need to band DH2; she's going to be with us forever?  (But then that would be new possible lifestyle we don't know about?)

A year of learning for all of us.

P

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #7889 on: August 08, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »

Overcast - warming to 69

Phyl -Bet it was a nice visit at the Frist Art Museum  :)   Nice to know that Jim enjoyed it more than he thought!   So sorry for that terrible playground incident when you were a young girl.   Great pic of Anthony @ Two Harbors.

Lani - Manaaki and NTF chick vids  ;D       Hopefully they will figure out the cause of the oil leak in Mike's car and get it fixed soon!  Glad Aly & Dewey are doing well; Aly sure is a busy girl!  Understandably, her Payson clients want to hang onto her!  Sweet 'nite' pic.

Mich-pip - I do remember that terrible accident - especially with T40's link she provided here.  Mich-pip great to have you in the Beak  :)

Tig - Have fun with those Pups - I know they enjoy coming to spend some time with you & Camper! Good idea to protect them from the Raspberries. ;D

Nora - Great to see you!  Hope all is good and that you had a wonderful birthday. :)

T40 - Thank you for providing link - a sad reminder of that terrible accident - happy to know the eaglets were taken care of, but so sad for the Dad - heart wrenching.

Tsk - Like your gif this morning.  Looks like temps are good in your area.

Clynn - Yikes - the drama at the Hellgate nest! Thanks for posting pics  ::)

LisaG - In reading what you mentioned to Clynn:  That is so wonderful how Bradley & Kelly have plenty of time to take in order to care for their new baby daughter.  It actually sounds as though they carefully saved their time off and PTO and everything to take at this time - very good planning!

Kb - Oh my gosh; that pic of the turkeys with coyote in the background! :o ::)

Beakers have a nice day!